HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver Cap Problems

Old
05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
^^^

What exactly are you giving up to get Cammy at half salary cap and Clutterbuck? Also you have no room for injury call ups.
Our first and a prospect have been tossed around by Flames fans, some willing to take Booth. Minny fans offered Clutterbuck for McNatty and Grenier. Personally, I wouldn't keep Booth, thus making the cap space even larger. The point was to illustrate we have alternatives and are far from in the cap hell some seems convinced we are.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.205m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Anton Khudobin ($1.250m)
Joe Cannata ($0.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,257,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,042,222

$6 million for two bottom liners and a 13th F.

No idea who Joe Cannata is. Anyone give me info on him as I wouldn't choose to have him as a Back-up G

You dont need 3 goalies on the roster.....

Khudobin and Clarkson will not sign for that low amount. Khudobin will want a realistic shot at a starting job.

The final 3 rost spts you likely can get them filled for around $2.5M

You need to leave $3M of cap space free for call ups and deadline deals.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:25 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.205m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.617m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Anton Khudobin ($1.250m)
Joe Cannata ($0.900m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,257,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,042,222

$6 million for two bottom liners and a 13th F.

No idea who Joe Cannata is. Anyone give me info on him as I wouldn't choose to have him as a Back-up G
Double what you have Clarkson and how did Luongo magically disappear

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Double what you have Clarkson and how did Luongo magically disappear
I only gave them their standard deals that Cap Geek suggested. I bought-out Luongo. Although I think I might've ticked the box to ignore the consequences.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
It really doesn't.

It gets them +/- $14M in cap space but they would need to sign 9 players. So now you have added 9 players to your roster that average around $1.5M and you're right back at the cap limit.

And another issue:

I'll admit I don't know much about Vancouver's prospects, but I doubt they have 9 NHL calibre players in the system that would average out at $1.5M per.

Let's say they have 4 guys that fit the bill. Where do they find another 5 $1.5M players?
You're acting like the Canucks have to find multiple top 9 forwards and top 4 defensemen, they don't. If they re-sign Tanev($1.5M) and Schroeder($1.025m), they'll have 6 spots to fill and $10.5M in cap space. One top 6 spot on Kesler's wing, a 4th line center and wing, and two depth forwards and one #6/7 d-man. $5M for a top 6 forward, $1.5M for for each 4th line center and #6/7 d-man and $600-750K for 3 depth forwards, leaving roughly $500K in cap space. Sure it's tight as hell, but it's not some sort of cap hell that will force the Canucks to dump key players.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:06 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
You're acting like the Canucks have to find multiple top 9 forwards and top 4 defensemen, they don't. If they re-sign Tanev($1.5M) and Schroeder($1.025m), they'll have 6 spots to fill and $10.5M in cap space. One top 6 spot on Kesler's wing, a 4th line center and wing, and two depth forwards and one #6/7 d-man. $5M for a top 6 forward, $1.5M for for each 4th line center and #6/7 d-man and $600-750K for 3 depth forwards, leaving roughly $500K in cap space. Sure it's tight as hell, but it's not some sort of cap hell that will force the Canucks to dump key players.
I think you're mistaking dumping key players with making sound hockey trades using valuable assets.
I suppose your plan would work, but it's a lot moving parts that have to fall into place.
Trading an Edler or Garrison for a couple solid young players and a prospect of your choosing coupled with your buyouts makes a lot more sense to me. But that's just a matter of opinion.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
What happens if Luongo retires early? Say with three years left on the deal?
I believe the Canucks are responsible for the cap hit.

Say Luongo is traded and retires after 3 more years.

For the 3 past years of this contract Vancouver paid him $7.43M more than the cap hit.

The new team he was traded to paid him $4.14M more than the cap hit during the 3 years on that team.

Then both teams will take cap hits ....since there is 6 years more on his contract when he retires that cap hit is spread over those next 6 years.

Vancouver would be hit with $1.26M per year
New team would be hit with $0.69M per year

The heavy risk on the new team is what if he does not want to retire after 3 years....thus the team has this $5M+ cap hit on the books and they cant do anything.

It would be so much nicer if the teams had the ability to carry one of the compliance buyouts to 2016 if they attach it to a player.

If Vancouver trades him to this new team with the plan the new team he will be bought out in 2014,

then he is owed around $33.9M over the remaining 8 years.

The buyout amount is 2/3 of what is owed spread over 2n years with n years remaining on the contract.

He would get paid $22.6M over 16 years or $1.41M per year.

That $1.41M would likely be split between Vancouver and the new team as part of the deal.

Would Vancouver want $7.43M on the cap or $11.3M off the cap? They probably could negotiate as part of the trade that they pay $7.43M of the buyout which then takes it off the books.

Any team that is willing to pay out $22.6M will be asking for something else from Vancouver to justify paying out $22.6M. Still something even if you reduce it to something like $11.3M.

This is why Vancouver will have to pay more out than they get back if they deal him.

If Luongo agrees that he will retire after 3 or 4 years then Vancouver could offset the team by taking back a cap dump of a player with 3 or 4 years left at $4M+ hit. Even then Vancouver would still get bit on the cap when Luongo retires. a 4th year doesnt change the cap hit Vancouver would take---just gives them more years to spread it out.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Moore Money

we got 99 problems but the cap aint one

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:24 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
So what you are saying is he is a more expensive version of Clarke MacCarthur?
Clarke had 62 points... Boothe was ON PACE for 45.. big difference but macA is better

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:05 AM
bernmeister

You will have to juggle until some major numbers are off the roster.

With one exception, Rangers, who will need to soon move cap to extend McDonagh, etc, cannot help.

We will take Kesler for cheap, reflecting his injury history status, but will add conditional extras so if he meets certain availability/production targets you are not screwed if he plays in good form and stays healthy. Put we will pay you all futures = minimal or 0 cap.

If you can't get value for the sedins, you may be better off sending Luongo east, but for cheap.

Don't immediately see lot else you can do.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:08 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Our first and a prospect have been tossed around by Flames fans, some willing to take Booth. Minny fans offered Clutterbuck for McNatty and Grenier. Personally, I wouldn't keep Booth, thus making the cap space even larger. The point was to illustrate we have alternatives and are far from in the cap hell some seems convinced we are.
There's zero chance that the Flames give you Cammy while retaining half the cap and then take a massive camp dump in Booth. You're talking of about 7 million dollars. It doesn't matter if the Flames have the cap space. No ownership is giong to toss that kind of money away.

Based on previous years the cost of getting rid of 2-3 million in cap space is a 2nd round pick.

The Flames would be much better off just keeping Cammy until the deadline and trading him then.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 03:27 PM
goblix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
You will have to juggle until some major numbers are off the roster.

With one exception, Rangers, who will need to soon move cap to extend McDonagh, etc, cannot help.

We will take Kesler for cheap, reflecting his injury history status, but will add conditional extras so if he meets certain availability/production targets you are not screwed if he plays in good form and stays healthy. Put we will pay you all futures = minimal or 0 cap.

If you can't get value for the sedins, you may be better off sending Luongo east, but for cheap.

Don't immediately see lot else you can do.
Kesler isn't going anywhere... this year Kesler will be fully healthy at the start of the year with a full summer season too. In terms of moving one of our core the real only trade target I can see, due two the youngsters Tanev and Corrado, is one of the defence, Bieksa or Edler. Seeing as Edler is the easiest to trade my bets he's on the way out..

goblix is offline   Reply With Quote