HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

III. New Logos and Green Uniforms for 2013-14

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
  #876
Brand New Stars
Registered User
 
Brand New Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney/C-Stat, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 500
If Dallas has a reputation for being snobby, then how do California and Northeast teams have fans?

Brand New Stars is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
  #877
BRoni
Registered User
 
BRoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
You're acting like your opinion is fact. Saying there would be zero benefit is unfounded simply because there is at least one person (me...hi!) that would be more of a fan and give the team more money. And it's really not all that confusing. Poll 1,000,000 random people, how many of them actually know who the Texas Stars are?

I see your point where naming it after the city allows it to be more regional. I just disagree with the route they chose. I think they would get more fans focusing on Texas alone than trying to cast themselves across the entire region. Do you dig a hole an inch deep and a mile wide or an inch wide and a mile deep? It's a crappy analogy but you get the point.
I don't think it makes much difference, but I can see why non metroplex Texas residents might like it better. I don't see how it will make more people fans of the team because of that reason or make them "more of a fan" though. They either like the team or they don't. How about we cover even more ground and become the Southern US Stars?

BRoni is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
  #878
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion
 
Shady12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WesTex
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
You're acting like your opinion is fact. Saying there would be zero benefit is unfounded simply because there is at least one person (me...hi!) that would be more of a fan and give the team more money. And it's really not all that confusing. Poll 1,000,000 random people, how many of them actually know who the Texas Stars are?

I see your point where naming it after the city allows it to be more regional. I just disagree with the route they chose. I think they would get more fans focusing on Texas alone than trying to cast themselves across the entire region. Do you dig a hole an inch deep and a mile wide or an inch wide and a mile deep? It's a crappy analogy but you get the point.
Not fact but I feel very, very strongly about it. And I don't see how they can get more fans focusing on Texas and not a wider area. It doesn't mean they aren't also focusing on Texas, just more.

Despite all of what I've said I don't know that they'll be particularly effective at any of it. Hockey just isn't popular enough in the region. I'm sure it will help some and I'm very glad they're being ambitious.

Shady12 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 12:47 PM
  #879
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,919
vCash: 500
Dropping Dallas and adding Texas would have been a horrible idea.

TrillMike is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
  #880
BRoni
Registered User
 
BRoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Not fact but I feel very, very strongly about it. And I don't see how they can get more fans focusing on Texas and not a wider area. It doesn't mean they aren't also focusing on Texas, just more.

Despite all of what I've said I don't know that they'll be particularly effective at any of it. Hockey just isn't popular enough in the region. I'm sure it will help some and I'm very glad they're being ambitious.
This. Hockey is just not that popular. Besides if you want fans, the best way is success. Start winning consistently and fans will come. There aren't so many Cowboys fans across the country because people just like the pretty uniforms. They (used to) win a lot.

I'm originally from South Carolina and the Panthers try and draw in the SC fans too by calling them the Carolina Panthers. I really don't know that it has brought them any more fans than just calling them the Charlotte Panthers. In fact I know a lot of people who resent them because they actually played in SC the first few years before moving to NC.

Also I've never met a single person that gave a damn about the Carolina Hurricanes.

BRoni is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
  #881
NewClearWinter
Registered User
 
NewClearWinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: College Station, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoni View Post
This. Hockey is just not that popular. Besides if you want fans, the best way is success. Start winning consistently and fans will come. There aren't so many Cowboys fans across the country because people just like the pretty uniforms. They (used to) win a lot.

I'm originally from South Carolina and the Panthers try and draw in the SC fans too by calling them the Carolina Panthers. I really don't know that it has brought them any more fans than just calling them the Charlotte Panthers. In fact I know a lot of people who resent them because they actually played in SC the first few years before moving to NC.

Also I've never met a single person that gave a damn about the Carolina Hurricanes.
Well there are a couple things that make this situation different. For one, NC and SC are separate states. Trying to unify them by simply calling the team the Carolina Panthers is gonna be a taller order than if it was already one state. Secondly, there is a unique sense of pride Texans have from being from Texas. Throwing the state name around wouldn't be a bad thing here.

NewClearWinter is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
  #882
BRoni
Registered User
 
BRoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
Well there are a couple things that make this situation different. For one, NC and SC are separate states. Trying to unify them by simply calling the team the Carolina Panthers is gonna be a taller order than if it was already one state. Secondly, there is a unique sense of pride Texans have from being from Texas. Throwing the state name around wouldn't be a bad thing here.
Well, they call the whole area the Carolinas and they are combined much smaller than Texas. I guess a better comparison is if someone from Charlotte would be more of a fan of the Hurricanes because they use Carolina instead of Raleigh. I personally don't think so, but that is just my opinion.

BRoni is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
  #883
bhetz23
G-14 Classified
 
bhetz23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Ok, so how about the Dallas Stars of Texas?

bhetz23 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
  #884
Brand New Stars
Registered User
 
Brand New Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney/C-Stat, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 500
Or you can just go with "Stars". Talk about being America's team...

Brand New Stars is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
  #885
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,415
vCash: 500
You want to get all of Texas on board with this team.


Now introducing... Your Oklahoma Sucks!

Troy McClure is online now  
Old
06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
  #886
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,014
vCash: 500
Just stopping by to say I really love your new uniforms & logo. I only read a couple of pages after the unveil, but it seems like you guys dig them too.

I'm a big believer in green being a great color for sports uniforms. It bugged me how they basically took the green away from your home jerseys the last couple years.

fun fact, before the Isles settled on Blue & Orange back in the 70s, they were experimenting with Green & Black.

Isles Junkie is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
  #887
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,633
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
They really missed the mark on this one. IMO, with this rebranding they had a chance to become Texas' hockey team. Texas is a state that has a lot of "brand recognition" if I can borrow the term. People all over the world know/love Texas (my Swedish fans can attest). But instead we get a giant D. What if I don't like Dallas? They had a chance to grab more of the market share but instead decided to really narrow their scope. I know many people will disagree but I think renaming the team the Texas Stars would've brought in more fans from around the state and it would work well with the already existing Texas Rangers in the same area. If that's too extreme for your sensibilities, at least invoking some Texas imagery would've been nice. Yes I know it's a star, but the D is just way too big. Overall not a fan of logo. The jersey is okay.
Meh. From my travels in Texas you'd be hard pressed to find many hockey fans outside of Dallas at all. For the ones that do exist I don't see how putting "Texas" in the name would do anything to make them be a fan of the Stars.

"What if I don't like Dallas?" You could start with getting over yourself. If you're really into the sport you'll follow the only NHL team in the state regardless of your personal feelings associated with Dallas. You do realize that if you ever wanted to go to a game in person you'd have to go to Dallas, right?

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
  #888
brinkmanjs
Registered User
 
brinkmanjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
So two questions:

1- Why only BENN #14 Home Jerseys in the DS Shop?

2- Who is laying down their "green" for the Stars green?

brinkmanjs is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:30 PM
  #889
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Meh. From my travels in Texas you'd be hard pressed to find many hockey fans outside of Dallas at all. For the ones that do exist I don't see how putting "Texas" in the name would do anything to make them be a fan of the Stars.
That's true. A lot of the problem is the lack of TV coverage outside of the DFW broadcast area. Houston residents frequently get Rockets or other Houston games instead of Stars games on FSSW.

Troy McClure is online now  
Old
06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
  #890
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,633
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
That's true. A lot of the problem is the lack of TV coverage outside of the DFW broadcast area. Houston residents frequently get Rockets or other Houston games instead of Stars games on FSSW.
Yeah this is definitely a problem. I wonder if increasing the broadcast area would actually create very many new fans though, enough to be worth the added cost I mean. Houston to Dallas is quite a trip to make to go to a hockey game. At least if the Rangers and Astros are playing they'll have 3-4 games over the course of a few days and a family or father/son type of outing can get you a memorable weekend and a couple baseball games.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM
  #891
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion
 
Shady12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WesTex
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
You want to get all of Texas on board with this team.


Now introducing... Your Oklahoma Sucks!
I'm down with this. I want to see a jersey.

Shady12 is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 07:28 PM
  #892
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad
 
FrailSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmanjs View Post
So two questions:

1- Why only BENN #14 Home Jerseys in the DS Shop?

2- Who is laying down their "green" for the Stars green?
They're fresh threads, so it's not too crazy. And Benn most likely sells more than anyone else.

FrailSwan is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
  #893
SolidusAKA
Registered User
 
SolidusAKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Im thinking an Eriksson jersey would be awesome. All the hf talk though (myself included) has me worried that he isnt as safe as we think. Do you guys think Im being ridiculous? I dont see enough Eriksson's where im from

SolidusAKA is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
  #894
beepeearr
Registered User
 
beepeearr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
That's true. A lot of the problem is the lack of TV coverage outside of the DFW broadcast area. Houston residents frequently get Rockets or other Houston games instead of Stars games on FSSW.
So Stars games aren't showing there on FSSW+ I was in OKC and was able to get them to turn the game on at the hooters near my hotel, and that was on a night where the Thunder and rangers both had games on. And while yes, they aren't prevalent their are Stars fans all over the State. When I used to live in Houston I remember going out to my car and driving a mile to listen to Ralph and Razor on wbap.

beepeearr is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 08:10 PM
  #895
beepeearr
Registered User
 
beepeearr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
I've been debating who to get on my new jerseys too, I've thought maybe 1 forward, 1 defensemen, or maybe let the Stars decide and get 1 for whoever scores the first Road and Home goals

beepeearr is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 08:12 PM
  #896
SolidusAKA
Registered User
 
SolidusAKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepeearr View Post
I've been debating who to get on my new jerseys too, I've thought maybe 1 forward, 1 defensemen, or maybe let the Stars decide and get 1 for whoever scores the first Road and Home goals
So two MacDermids?

Im getting home and away and I need two of:

Benn
Lehtonen
Eriksson
Dillon
Chaisson

(Ranked from safest to riskiest)

SolidusAKA is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 08:36 PM
  #897
beepeearr
Registered User
 
beepeearr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusAKA View Post
So two MacDermids?

Im getting home and away and I need two of:

Benn
Lehtonen
Eriksson
Dillon
Chaisson

(Ranked from safest to riskiest)
I'm hoping they're Horton and Bickell after all we do have a history of signing guys from both clubs

beepeearr is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 11:31 PM
  #898
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,892
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
Oh for sure I understand that. But Dallas in particular (unfairly) has that rap mostly due to Highland Park. I'm just saying that by using Texas as the namesake of the team, more Texans might be inclined to be fans.
Houston has the Woodlands as well... Most big cities do, actually.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
06-06-2013, 11:47 PM
  #899
Brand New Stars
Registered User
 
Brand New Stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McKinney/C-Stat, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,157
vCash: 500
Stopping putting games on FSSW+ could help a little bit.

Brand New Stars is offline  
Old
06-07-2013, 12:13 AM
  #900
ColeJ
Registered User
 
ColeJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waxahachie, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 411
vCash: 500
dallas aren't snobs... it's just that the rest of texas (save austin) are a bunch of hillbillies

(and i'm from south dallas, so there's nothing snobby about my neck of the woods. just being a jerk cause it's funny sometimes.)

ColeJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.