Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

III. New Logos and Green Uniforms for 2013-14

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Brand New Stars

vCash: 500
If Dallas has a reputation for being snobby, then how do California and Northeast teams have fans?

Old
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
BRoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewClearWinter View Post
You're acting like your opinion is fact. Saying there would be zero benefit is unfounded simply because there is at least one person (me...hi!) that would be more of a fan and give the team more money. And it's really not all that confusing. Poll 1,000,000 random people, how many of them actually know who the Texas Stars are?

I see your point where naming it after the city allows it to be more regional. I just disagree with the route they chose. I think they would get more fans focusing on Texas alone than trying to cast themselves across the entire region. Do you dig a hole an inch deep and a mile wide or an inch wide and a mile deep? It's a crappy analogy but you get the point.
I don't think it makes much difference, but I can see why non metroplex Texas residents might like it better. I don't see how it will make more people fans of the team because of that reason or make them "more of a fan" though. They either like the team or they don't. How about we cover even more ground and become the Southern US Stars?

Old
06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
You're acting like your opinion is fact. Saying there would be zero benefit is unfounded simply because there is at least one person (me...hi!) that would be more of a fan and give the team more money. And it's really not all that confusing. Poll 1,000,000 random people, how many of them actually know who the Texas Stars are?

I see your point where naming it after the city allows it to be more regional. I just disagree with the route they chose. I think they would get more fans focusing on Texas alone than trying to cast themselves across the entire region. Do you dig a hole an inch deep and a mile wide or an inch wide and a mile deep? It's a crappy analogy but you get the point.
Not fact but I feel very, very strongly about it. And I don't see how they can get more fans focusing on Texas and not a wider area. It doesn't mean they aren't also focusing on Texas, just more.

Despite all of what I've said I don't know that they'll be particularly effective at any of it. Hockey just isn't popular enough in the region. I'm sure it will help some and I'm very glad they're being ambitious.

Old
06-06-2013, 12:47 PM
TrillMike

Dropping Dallas and adding Texas would have been a horrible idea.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:02 PM
BRoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Not fact but I feel very, very strongly about it. And I don't see how they can get more fans focusing on Texas and not a wider area. It doesn't mean they aren't also focusing on Texas, just more.

Despite all of what I've said I don't know that they'll be particularly effective at any of it. Hockey just isn't popular enough in the region. I'm sure it will help some and I'm very glad they're being ambitious.
This. Hockey is just not that popular. Besides if you want fans, the best way is success. Start winning consistently and fans will come. There aren't so many Cowboys fans across the country because people just like the pretty uniforms. They (used to) win a lot.

I'm originally from South Carolina and the Panthers try and draw in the SC fans too by calling them the Carolina Panthers. I really don't know that it has brought them any more fans than just calling them the Charlotte Panthers. In fact I know a lot of people who resent them because they actually played in SC the first few years before moving to NC.

Also I've never met a single person that gave a damn about the Carolina Hurricanes.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
NewClearWinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoni View Post
This. Hockey is just not that popular. Besides if you want fans, the best way is success. Start winning consistently and fans will come. There aren't so many Cowboys fans across the country because people just like the pretty uniforms. They (used to) win a lot.

I'm originally from South Carolina and the Panthers try and draw in the SC fans too by calling them the Carolina Panthers. I really don't know that it has brought them any more fans than just calling them the Charlotte Panthers. In fact I know a lot of people who resent them because they actually played in SC the first few years before moving to NC.

Also I've never met a single person that gave a damn about the Carolina Hurricanes.
Well there are a couple things that make this situation different. For one, NC and SC are separate states. Trying to unify them by simply calling the team the Carolina Panthers is gonna be a taller order than if it was already one state. Secondly, there is a unique sense of pride Texans have from being from Texas. Throwing the state name around wouldn't be a bad thing here.

Old
06-06-2013, 01:56 PM
BRoni

Quote:
Well there are a couple things that make this situation different. For one, NC and SC are separate states. Trying to unify them by simply calling the team the Carolina Panthers is gonna be a taller order than if it was already one state. Secondly, there is a unique sense of pride Texans have from being from Texas. Throwing the state name around wouldn't be a bad thing here.
Well, they call the whole area the Carolinas and they are combined much smaller than Texas. I guess a better comparison is if someone from Charlotte would be more of a fan of the Hurricanes because they use Carolina instead of Raleigh. I personally don't think so, but that is just my opinion.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
bhetz23
G-14 Classified

Ok, so how about the Dallas Stars of Texas?

Old
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Brand New Stars

Or you can just go with "Stars". Talk about being America's team...

Old
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Troy McClure

You want to get all of Texas on board with this team.

Now introducing... Your Oklahoma Sucks!

Old
06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Isles Junkie

Just stopping by to say I really love your new uniforms & logo. I only read a couple of pages after the unveil, but it seems like you guys dig them too.

I'm a big believer in green being a great color for sports uniforms. It bugged me how they basically took the green away from your home jerseys the last couple years.

fun fact, before the Isles settled on Blue & Orange back in the 70s, they were experimenting with Green & Black.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
They really missed the mark on this one. IMO, with this rebranding they had a chance to become Texas' hockey team. Texas is a state that has a lot of "brand recognition" if I can borrow the term. People all over the world know/love Texas (my Swedish fans can attest). But instead we get a giant D. What if I don't like Dallas? They had a chance to grab more of the market share but instead decided to really narrow their scope. I know many people will disagree but I think renaming the team the Texas Stars would've brought in more fans from around the state and it would work well with the already existing Texas Rangers in the same area. If that's too extreme for your sensibilities, at least invoking some Texas imagery would've been nice. Yes I know it's a star, but the D is just way too big. Overall not a fan of logo. The jersey is okay.
Meh. From my travels in Texas you'd be hard pressed to find many hockey fans outside of Dallas at all. For the ones that do exist I don't see how putting "Texas" in the name would do anything to make them be a fan of the Stars.

"What if I don't like Dallas?" You could start with getting over yourself. If you're really into the sport you'll follow the only NHL team in the state regardless of your personal feelings associated with Dallas. You do realize that if you ever wanted to go to a game in person you'd have to go to Dallas, right?

Old
06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
brinkmanjs

So two questions:

1- Why only BENN #14 Home Jerseys in the DS Shop?

2- Who is laying down their "green" for the Stars green?

Old
06-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Meh. From my travels in Texas you'd be hard pressed to find many hockey fans outside of Dallas at all. For the ones that do exist I don't see how putting "Texas" in the name would do anything to make them be a fan of the Stars.
That's true. A lot of the problem is the lack of TV coverage outside of the DFW broadcast area. Houston residents frequently get Rockets or other Houston games instead of Stars games on FSSW.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
That's true. A lot of the problem is the lack of TV coverage outside of the DFW broadcast area. Houston residents frequently get Rockets or other Houston games instead of Stars games on FSSW.
Yeah this is definitely a problem. I wonder if increasing the broadcast area would actually create very many new fans though, enough to be worth the added cost I mean. Houston to Dallas is quite a trip to make to go to a hockey game. At least if the Rangers and Astros are playing they'll have 3-4 games over the course of a few days and a family or father/son type of outing can get you a memorable weekend and a couple baseball games.

Old
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
You want to get all of Texas on board with this team.

Now introducing... Your Oklahoma Sucks!
I'm down with this. I want to see a jersey.

Old
06-06-2013, 07:28 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmanjs View Post
So two questions:

1- Why only BENN #14 Home Jerseys in the DS Shop?

2- Who is laying down their "green" for the Stars green?
They're fresh threads, so it's not too crazy. And Benn most likely sells more than anyone else.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
SolidusAKA

Im thinking an Eriksson jersey would be awesome. All the hf talk though (myself included) has me worried that he isnt as safe as we think. Do you guys think Im being ridiculous? I dont see enough Eriksson's where im from

Old
06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
beepeearr

Quote:
So Stars games aren't showing there on FSSW+ I was in OKC and was able to get them to turn the game on at the hooters near my hotel, and that was on a night where the Thunder and rangers both had games on. And while yes, they aren't prevalent their are Stars fans all over the State. When I used to live in Houston I remember going out to my car and driving a mile to listen to Ralph and Razor on wbap.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:10 PM
beepeearr

I've been debating who to get on my new jerseys too, I've thought maybe 1 forward, 1 defensemen, or maybe let the Stars decide and get 1 for whoever scores the first Road and Home goals

Old
06-06-2013, 08:12 PM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepeearr View Post
I've been debating who to get on my new jerseys too, I've thought maybe 1 forward, 1 defensemen, or maybe let the Stars decide and get 1 for whoever scores the first Road and Home goals
So two MacDermids?

Im getting home and away and I need two of:

Benn
Lehtonen
Eriksson
Dillon
Chaisson

(Ranked from safest to riskiest)

Old
06-06-2013, 08:36 PM
beepeearr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusAKA View Post
So two MacDermids?

Im getting home and away and I need two of:

Benn
Lehtonen
Eriksson
Dillon
Chaisson

(Ranked from safest to riskiest)
I'm hoping they're Horton and Bickell after all we do have a history of signing guys from both clubs

Old
06-06-2013, 11:31 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Oh for sure I understand that. But Dallas in particular (unfairly) has that rap mostly due to Highland Park. I'm just saying that by using Texas as the namesake of the team, more Texans might be inclined to be fans.
Houston has the Woodlands as well... Most big cities do, actually.

Old
06-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Brand New Stars

Stopping putting games on FSSW+ could help a little bit.

Old
06-07-2013, 12:13 AM
ColeJ

dallas aren't snobs... it's just that the rest of texas (save austin) are a bunch of hillbillies

(and i'm from south dallas, so there's nothing snobby about my neck of the woods. just being a jerk cause it's funny sometimes.)

Closed Thread