HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs have little chance at Crosby, Bettman has a Plan

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Leaf the Lucky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Blah, knowing T.O.'s luck, they'll end up with 30th, which normally wouldn't be too bad because they'd have 30 +31, but we traded away that 2nd. Not that it was of any substance, but if JFJ's luck was demonstrated in 'Making the Cut', then we're gettin' screwed.
30 + 31?

Dude....see the problem?

Last edited by Leaf the Lucky: 05-19-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old
05-19-2005, 04:06 PM
BuppY

hey atleats we have a shot at Crosby.

Old
05-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Two words: Patrick Ewing.
Yes and I'll bet the Raptors get screwed over on the lottery also, with only .1% better chance than the Knicks next Tuesday will tell the story. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old
05-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf the Lucky
30 + 31?

Dude....see the problem?
No.
Snake system.

Old
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Leaf the Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
No.
Snake system.
Except that the NHL doesn't operate on a snake system.

Old
05-19-2005, 07:20 PM
J.T

With all of the hype about the #1 pick, does anybody else think it would be sort of funny if Crosby ended up being another Daigle?

Old
05-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T
With all of the hype about the #1 pick, does anybody else think it would be sort of funny if Crosby ended up being another Daigle?
That would be pretty funny. The pressure could get to him like it did Daigle because people are touting him to be the next great one & some are saying he is going to be the Lebron of hockey & save hockey blah blah blah......... It's a lot of hype to live up to.

Last edited by Mike1: 05-19-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old
05-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf the Lucky
Except that the NHL doesn't operate on a snake system.
Barring any changes, that's the plan for the next draft.

Old
05-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
That is significant because there's a decent chance that some poor teams will pick low in the first round, and they will be pissed off.
They may be "pissed off", but they really dont have any reason to be. They were "rewarded" for their poor 2003-2004 season with the 2004 NHL Draft. There was no NHL season last year (2004-05), therefore, the only fair way to do this thing is to have a lottery (albeit a weighted lottery).

My "conspriacy theory" about Crosby is also related to the 1985 NBA lottery with Ewing ending up with the Knicks; however, as I recall, that lottery was not weighted. All the teams that didn't make the playoffs that year had an equal chance at winning.

It wasn't until a few years later that the NBA started using a "weighted" lottery, and then a few years after that they made it so that worst team couldn't end up drafting any lower than 3rd.

Old
05-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
They may be "pissed off", but they really dont have any reason to be. They were "rewarded" for their poor 2003-2004 season with the 2004 NHL Draft. There was no NHL season last year (2004-05), therefore, the only fair way to do this thing is to have a lottery (albeit a weighted lottery).

My "conspriacy theory" about Crosby is also related to the 1985 NBA lottery with Ewing ending up with the Knicks; however, as I recall, that lottery was not weighted. All the teams that didn't make the playoffs that year had an equal chance at winning.

It wasn't until a few years later that the NBA started using a "weighted" lottery, and then a few years after that they made it so that worst team couldn't end up drafting any lower than 3rd.
You're preaching to the choir here, believe me. I'm just stating that they will in fact be pissed off in such a situation.

Old
05-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Wetcoaster

My proposed system:

Look at the team records over the past 4 years and rank them 1-30.

The last place team gets 30 chances, the second last 29 chances and so on. As each team is pulled and put in a draft slot, the rest of its chances are pulled and the draw continues until all the places are filled.

Old
05-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Wetcoaster

What about the teams that have traded away their first round selections or switched draft positions?

Old
05-20-2005, 06:05 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
My proposed system:

Look at the team records over the past 4 years and rank them 1-30.

The last place team gets 30 chances, the second last 29 chances and so on. As each team is pulled and put in a draft slot, the rest of its chances are pulled and the draw continues until all the places are filled.
A reasonable idea.

But I don't like it. I'll just come right out and admit that I prefer any system that gives the Leafs a decent chance to pick high.

As for what is fair, I think it can be argued that many different ways are fair, as the criteria for 'fairness' are rather debatable. The only reference point we have is precedent- how drafts tend to operate- but we have no exact precedent for this situation. And some people will argue that the precedent is not a fair system anyway.

So I think its arbitrary. Therefore- go Leafs go!

Old
05-20-2005, 06:06 PM
timlap

Quote:
What about the teams that have traded away their first round selections or switched draft positions?
I don't see any problem. If a team traded a pick then their first round rights(however many balls, or whatever) belong to the other team.

Old
05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
I don't see any problem. If a team traded a pick then their first round rights(however many balls, or whatever) belong to the other team.
How about if there is no 2005 draft????

That would really throw a wrench in the works, do you not think?

Old
05-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
A reasonable idea.

But I don't like it. I'll just come right out and admit that I prefer any system that gives the Leafs a decent chance to pick high.

As for what is fair, I think it can be argued that many different ways are fair, as the criteria for 'fairness' are rather debatable. The only reference point we have is precedent- how drafts tend to operate- but we have no exact precedent for this situation. And some people will argue that the precedent is not a fair system anyway.

So I think its arbitrary. Therefore- go Leafs go!
The precedent in the NHL since the inception of the Entry Draft has been reverse order based on where the team finished the prior year.

As there was no prior year, IMHO using the 2003-04 season is not fair but there must be some attention paid to how the teams placed. Hence go back the last 4 years (or whatever).

Mind you but for the Next Great One this probably would not be so much of an issue.

Old
05-21-2005, 11:02 AM
timlap

Quote:
How about if there is no 2005 draft????

That would really throw a wrench in the works, do you not think?
It would be interesting, but I'm feeling optimistic enough to suppose that this isn't going to happen.

But, lets say it did. Here are two ideas:

1. Do the 2005 draft lottery according to whatever formula. Have the 2005 draft. Turn around and have the 2006 draft the next day with the reverse order.

2. Throw all players into one mega draft. The problem with this system is sorting out who owns picks in which year.

Right now I am expecting a 2005 draft and a 2005-06 season. Not the least because cosmic forces have brought me back to posting at Hockeys Future. The universe is on the move, people!

Closed Thread