HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Fire Joel Quenneville (part II)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2013, 02:44 AM
  #226
SLarmer28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
Stanley Cup Finals Game 5 Lines

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Handzus - Hossa
Saad - Bolland - Shaw
Stalberg - Kruger - Frolik

I don't like Marcus Kruger playing left wing.

SLarmer28 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 05:30 AM
  #227
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,940
vCash: 500
Why change what is working?

Lines stay the same and if anything you substitue Stalberg with Smith but that won't do anything so you just stay with what works

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 06:11 AM
  #228
ChitownDoctor
Registered User
 
ChitownDoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Why change what is working?

Lines stay the same and if anything you substitue Stalberg with Smith but that won't do anything so you just stay with what works
So why don't you knock Q for changing it all up before the series began?

ChitownDoctor is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:23 AM
  #229
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
I don't know why Q should/would get credit for making these changes other than proving he's not just a stubborn old man who only wants one Cup on his resume.

EVERYONE in the free world was calling for Toews & Kane to be together and most who wanted that wanted Bicks with them. He just caved in the end. Pretty far from genius to finally do the obvious after plans 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 failed.

It's grounds for firing that he waited till game 4 to do it.

Gurth is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:33 AM
  #230
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,396
vCash: 500
he didn't even make a change, just reversed a stupid one he did make leading up to the scf. that didn't stop some of the nbc guys from fellating him for it.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 07:45 AM
  #231
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 10,974
vCash: 500
Yeah I give Q absolutely no credit for last night's changes. His stubbornness may yet still cost them this series.

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 08:48 AM
  #232
ChitownDoctor
Registered User
 
ChitownDoctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
I don't know why Q should/would get credit for making these changes other than proving he's not just a stubborn old man who only wants one Cup on his resume.

EVERYONE in the free world was calling for Toews & Kane to be together and most who wanted that wanted Bicks with them. He just caved in the end. Pretty far from genius to finally do the obvious after plans 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 failed.

It's grounds for firing that he waited till game 4 to do it.
Pretty much.

You can argue that this series is not 2-2 if he stayed with the same lines that he used v.s. LA

ChitownDoctor is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:10 AM
  #233
tomcho
Registered User
 
tomcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
I don't know why Q should/would get credit for making these changes other than proving he's not just a stubborn old man who only wants one Cup on his resume.

EVERYONE in the free world was calling for Toews & Kane to be together and most who wanted that wanted Bicks with them. He just caved in the end. Pretty far from genius to finally do the obvious after plans 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 failed.

It's grounds for firing that he waited till game 4 to do it.
His post game comment saying people probably think he's pretty smart was ridiculous. Game 3 was probably a loss either way, but game 2 was winnable. The Hawks could be heading home 3-1 if Q never changed the LA game 5 lines.

tomcho is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:12 AM
  #234
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,810
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
His post game comment saying people probably think he's pretty smart was ridiculous. Game 3 was probably a loss either way, but game 2 was winnable. The Hawks could be heading home 3-1 if Q never changed the LA game 5 lines.
Agreed. The only one where things might have been different is game 2.

coldsteelonice84 is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:13 AM
  #235
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
Knew it, we won because he changed the lines back (even though we won Game 1 with lines not the same as last night)

It wasn't because Hossa played, and because the star players all gave 100% effort and actually played decent.

Hawkaholic is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:16 AM
  #236
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 10,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Knew it, we won because he changed the lines back (even though we won Game 1 with lines not the same as last night)

It wasn't because Hossa played, and because the star players all gave 100% effort and actually played decent.
Keep on keeping on. Because they won game 1 on the backs of their star players that obviously had so much synergy together. That game was won by the bottom 6 and D. Last night was won by the big guns who were actually put in a position to succeed by playing with those who they have chemistry with.

Kurtosis is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:36 AM
  #237
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Keep on keeping on. Because they won game 1 on the backs of their star players that obviously had so much synergy together. That game was won by the bottom 6 and D. Last night was won by the big guns who were actually put in a position to succeed by playing with those who they have chemistry with.
I'm not saying it wasn't a good idea to go back to the old lines, but it wasn't THE reason we won.

Bodies went to the net, players shot the puck when that happened, they didn't play perimeter hockey, and they gave 100% effort.

If they need liens to be a certain way to do that, then there is something wrong with the players. They should be doing that all the time.

Hawkaholic is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:43 AM
  #238
adorno
%!&
 
adorno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I'm not saying it wasn't a good idea to go back to the old lines, but it wasn't THE reason we won.

Bodies went to the net, players shot the puck when that happened, they didn't play perimeter hockey, and they gave 100% effort.

If they need liens to be a certain way to do that, then there is something wrong with the players. They should be doing that all the time.
What's the point in having a coach then? He could throw any old line up out there and they would be expected to win by virtue of them being 'star players'? Its up to whom to decide how to use those players most effectively - otherwise what is he even doing?

adorno is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:45 AM
  #239
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ravenswood
Country: United States
Posts: 10,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I'm not saying it wasn't a good idea to go back to the old lines, but it wasn't THE reason we won.

Bodies went to the net, players shot the puck when that happened, they didn't play perimeter hockey, and they gave 100% effort.

If they need liens to be a certain way to do that, then there is something wrong with the players. They should be doing that all the time.
But it was a huge part of the reason why they won. Obviously they took it to heart that they needed to make life hell for Rask and did just that. The line makeups had a lot to do with their capability of doing so.

Toews and Kane should never be broken up again.


Last edited by Kurtosis: 06-20-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Kurtosis is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 09:50 AM
  #240
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Confidence goes a long way and it was obvious in the body language how confident Kaner and Toews were at the start of the game.

To say that the line combos don't or shouldn't matter is flat out wrong. A certain combo is going to execute differently than another.

Having Bickell there to eat up space and get to the net opened things up for K & T. Not just because he's a big body but because he's a dangerous big body.

Gurth is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
  #241
madgoat33
Registered User
 
madgoat33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12,396
vCash: 500
and because he was beating Chara like a drum all night.

madgoat33 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 02:59 PM
  #242
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
But it was a huge part of the reason why they won. Obviously they took it to heart that they needed to make life hell for Rask and did just that. The line makeups had a lot to do with their capability of doing so.

Toews and Kane should never be broken up again.
But it wasn't.
They played like they did in Game 1, when the lines weren't the same at all.

They went to the net, stayed there, and made life rough on Rask. Something they haven't done since Game 2 period 1.

But, I have always said Kane and Toews should play together, but that it was a decent idea to split them up because of Chara, much like 2010 vs. Pronger. And Q knows when to make a change, and he did it at the right time....that's why he shouldn't be fired, along with plenty of other reasons.

Hawkaholic is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
  #243
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
And Q knows when to make a change, and he did it at the right time....that's why he shouldn't be fired, along with plenty of other reasons.
Yup down 2-1 in the series, next game on the road...what a tremendous read by Q to put the line back together. Yikes!

Marotte Marauder is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 03:05 PM
  #244
SLarmer28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
and because he was beating Chara like a drum all night.
Chara can't handle Bickell and Toews on the same line.

SLarmer28 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
  #245
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Yup down 2-1 in the series, next game on the road...what a tremendous read by Q to put the line back together. Yikes!
Again, being down 2-1 in the series wasn't because the lines were switched, it's because they played uninspiring hockey.

And yes, when fully healthy and things aren't going your way...you change the lines up. That's why Q did it. But it wasn't THE reason, the effort and willingness was a bigger part.

Hawkaholic is online now  
Old
06-20-2013, 03:18 PM
  #246
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Again, being down 2-1 in the series wasn't because the lines were switched, it's because they played uninspiring hockey.

And yes, when fully healthy and things aren't going your way...you change the lines up. That's why Q did it. But it wasn't THE reason, the effort and willingness was a bigger part.
Pretty tough to play inspired hockey when the whole world sees the lineup is totally effed up, wouldn't you say?

Marotte Marauder is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
  #247
SLarmer28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Again, being down 2-1 in the series wasn't because the lines were switched, it's because they played uninspiring hockey.
The Chicago Blackhawks have not played well in any Game 3 in this postseason with losses in all four series.

SLarmer28 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
  #248
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownDoctor View Post
So why don't you knock Q for changing it all up before the series began?
We are 2 Wins away from winning the Cup... No coach is just lucky enough to make it this far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Pretty tough to play inspired hockey when the whole world sees the lineup is totally effed up, wouldn't you say?
because of the lineup the players are allowed to take the night off? Great logic


Hawkaholic is right. Lines were part of it but not the reason why we won.

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 03:53 PM
  #249
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,940
vCash: 500
#2 in Jack Adams voting this year
Team is in the cup finals 2 wins away while winning the presidents trophy after being #6 in the West the year before
Guy is already on the all time list of games coached and wins and is the most winning coach in the POs still being activ

I'm not a Q fan but this thread is embarassing


another question... why doesn't Q get credit for the great PK and how much it improved? Guys knock on him because of the PP yet he never got credit for the great PK.

Bubba88 is offline  
Old
06-20-2013, 04:19 PM
  #250
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
#2 in Jack Adams voting this year
Team is in the cup finals 2 wins away while winning the presidents trophy after being #6 in the West the year before
Guy is already on the all time list of games coached and wins and is the most winning coach in the POs still being activ

I'm not a Q fan but this thread is embarassing


another question... why doesn't Q get credit for the great PK and how much it improved? Guys knock on him because of the PP yet he never got credit for the great PK.
I'll give him credit for having the D be more aggressive, not playing poke the raccoon as much as before. Also your goalie is the best PKer on the ice. Crow plays well, PK is already good.

At the upper levels it's just as much about not screwing things up as it is teaching.

Marotte Marauder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.