HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards VS Jeff Carter

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Bennevol10

vCash: 500
Mike Richards VS Jeff Carter

I am starting to think Mike Richards is a little better prospect than Jeff Carter. The only reason Richards is not #1 Prospect for the Flyers because of his height and most people tend to rave about his defensive play and forget about his offensive contribution. I think he is one of the best defensive forward prospects if not the best. I will be little bold here; I think he has an upside to be next Peter Forsberg. Before you rip me off remember the KEY word is UPSIDE. I believe he can produce 75 to 85 points a season in NHL. Hey if he keeps this up heck I think he will be challenging Jeff Carter for future top line center. Even though, he is not as flashy or fast skater like Jeff Carter. You never know he might get little taller because he is only 20. He grew one inch taller since we drafted him.

Old
05-21-2005, 12:28 AM
paxtang

I highly doubt Richards get's taller, although he could use it. He's at most 5'11".

Richards is a better play maker than Carter, better on the PK, and a better forchecker. Carter is a better goal scorer and a game breaker. I think they compliment each other well. But Carter definetly has the better offensive upside, I don't think there is any denying that.

There is no way Richards has Forsberg upside.

Old
05-21-2005, 01:28 AM
adurn

Forsberg puts up 100+ points in a season when he's healthy, not 75-85. The trouble is, he's rarely healthy for a full season.

At his peak, I see Richards putting up 60 points max, while winning a few Selkes.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:32 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
yeah, its wishful thinking that Richards has Forsberg upside but its not true. Forsberg, when healthy, was arguably the best player in the NHL...and MVP type of player.

Old
05-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Bennevol10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
yeah, its wishful thinking that Richards has Forsberg upside but its not true. Forsberg, when healthy, was arguably the best player in the NHL...and MVP type of player.
What makes you sure Richards is not an MVP player. The way Richards playing he will be better then Forsberg defensively plus the offense. Forsberg play with two offensive wingers. If we put Richards with two offensive forwards in First line I think he is capable of scoring 90 points a season. By the way did anyone reach 100 points mark last season! I am just saying if he keeps up he has the upside to be next Forsberg but not exactly the same player stat by stat.

Old
05-22-2005, 12:58 AM
paxtang

This is what happens when you see a guy play in the AHL and assume he'll be as dominate in the NHL.

Old
05-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
This is what happens when you see a guy play in the AHL and assume he'll be as dominate in the NHL.
I agree with you pax. Lets just say I think he will be an excellent pro but Forsberg - never. His offensive upside is not that of one of the top 5 in the league. I think the comparisons to a healthy Peca are more likely.

Old
05-22-2005, 10:41 AM
goodrev

it makes me sad to know that the flyers drafted peter forsberg.... i know at the time it looked like a great deal, but now it makes me want to throw up thinking about it

Old
05-22-2005, 12:19 PM
PhillyPhantoms

Carter, definetly.

At least two of Richards's goals these playoffs have been empty net goals so don't let his goal stacks fool you. And no, that isn't a bash on him at all.

Old
05-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Cuiff

Carter is even better than I thought. Plain and simple....he has fast hands and scores preaty goals

Old
05-22-2005, 12:32 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantoms
Carter, definetly.

At least two of Richards's goals these playoffs have been empty net goals so don't let his goal stacks fool you. And no, that isn't a bash on him at all.
Carter had an empty net goal too. Prior to last nights empty night goal Richards shooting percentage was hovering around .30 while Carter's was a little below .20.

If we are talking about who has been better in the playoffs I think Richards. He has scored huge goals, plays better defensively (Carter had an amazing defensive save last night though), and blows Carter away when it comes to playmaking.

Old
05-22-2005, 01:13 PM
FlyersFan10*

Mike Richards is very similar to Doug Gilmour in terms of his overall game. Jeff Carter is very similar to Mats Sundin in terms of his overall game.

I've always said that Richards will be the better player of the two simply because he doesn't quite have the talent Carter has, but more than makes up for it in terms of hockey sense. His hockey sense is much superior to Carter's.

Two completely different players though in terms of style. Carter will be the goal scorer and Richards will be the captain. I'm just happy that we got both of them. I'll admit that when we drafted Carter and Richards, I was more or less hoping for something like Dustin Brown and Patrick O'Sullivan. However, I can't complain with what we walked away with. Both players are on the verge of being with the big team and making favorable impressions throughout the league (if it ever starts back up).

Last edited by GKJ: 05-22-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old
05-22-2005, 07:35 PM
FearTheFlyers

I prefer Richards, but that's just preference I think. There's really no need to compare them.

Old
05-22-2005, 09:26 PM
flip588

I'm just glad they're both ours.

Old
05-22-2005, 09:31 PM
MojoJojo

I like Richards more and more. I pretty much agree with everything said in the first post. Plus, I love guys who can score short handed. Nothing like mashing your opponent into the boards and then scoring on their power play to break a game. I just Wish Richards was quicker. With more speed, his lack of size wont be such a liability at the NHL level. His offense does impress however, he's sort of a Mike Comrie who backchecks as hard as he plays in the offensive zone.

Old
05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Keep this on topic. Don't bring personal quarrelling into public forums.

Old
05-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Juicer

Sundin better than Nieuwendyk? I don't think so. Nieuwendyk is one of the better playoff players over the last two decades. He has three Cups with three different teams,and won the Conn Smythe one of those years. Nieuwendyk is clutch in the post season, who's 3 Cups with 3 teams will be looked upon as remarkable. Sundin is pretty forgetable.

Old
05-23-2005, 02:10 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I agree Juicer, I would rather have Nieuwendyk then Sundin. the biggest factor, as you mentioned, is how clutch Nieuwendyk was in the playoffs as a go-to guy.

if Carter turns in to a player like Nieuwendyk, I would be ecstatic.

Old
05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
RoyIsALegend*

I know Mike Richards personally since a young age, and even though I love the guy's attitude, work ethic and heart... Jeff Carter is simply a superior player in nearly every facet and will translate into the better Philadelphia Flyer.

Don't get me wrong, though... Richards can center your third line for the next 15 years and be a Bobby Clarke lovechild, but Carter is going to be putting up 30+ goals, 65+ points per season and be a dominant physical presence for quite some time.

Joni Pitkanen, Carter, Richards, etc... I envy your prospect cabinet, but I'm happy with my NHL roster Avalanche.

Old
05-24-2005, 08:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I'm happy with my NHL roster Avalanche.

In about 3 years you won't. Wait until guys like Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Blake and Foote are all gone. Lean years in Colorado are not too distant.

Old
05-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
In about 3 years you won't. Wait until guys like Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Blake and Foote are all gone. Lean years in Colorado are not too distant.
While PL is in the town there is nothing to worry about Avs future

Old
05-24-2005, 01:14 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
3 years to get rid of Kariya and Selanne?

Man, they're gone for good now and we don't have to wait three years, thank God!

Oh, and people have been saying this about us for the last 10 seasons, and all we've done since then is win 9 division titles, go to 6 Western Conference finals, 2 Stanley Cup championships.

Funny how you can make the first post of this page saying "Please stay on topic," and then you go off in this direction.

"Hey kettle, you're black!!"

Old
05-24-2005, 01:33 PM
mercury

Colorado is fine for the time being, but that prospect pool is pretty damn shallow.

Old
05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Colorado is fine for the time being, but that prospect pool is pretty damn shallow.
Thankfully, our General Manager understands the entire purpose of being in the National Hockey League is to _win championships_. He will ice the best available and competitive team each and every single season for us, and as a fan, there is nothing more that we can ask for.

Plus, we only really trade the overrated scrubs and keep our gems. Ah, the beauty of superior talent evaluation.

Old
05-24-2005, 01:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Ah, the beauty of superior talent evaluation.

Really? After Svatos, it's not looking too good.

Closed Thread