HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

So I am really starting to wonder about Canada's goaltending for the Olympics

Old
05-28-2013, 03:06 AM
begbeee

vCash: 500
Brodeur is a good pick for #3, the real question is if his ego is able to swallow it. As someone has said, it's very unlikely he would be a reason of Canada's failure, even at this point of his career he brings consistent goaltending.

That being said, I would go with Luongo/Price/Fleury/Ward as #1-2 depending on actual shape and it's worth a notice that Cam Ward and Luongo are proven goalies on international ice what can not be said about Fleury and especially Price. Throw in their mental abilities and Cam Ward is shaping as a clear winner.

Many of you guys are forgetting that big ice is different, angles etc. Not all goalies are able to transform their play during two trainings. So don't judge everything by NHL optics.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:06 AM
skip2mybordeleau
HF "Soft" Boards

vCash: 4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Luongo
Smith
Ward/Price

But I think Canada should send a message and send 3 kids.

Brossoit
Subban
Sparks

Then we will see team Canada shine! They will get out there and work extra hard every shift
we'll see them shine all right, all the way down to last place.

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:53 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
I am not the slightest bit concerned honestly. It's funny with all the debacle around Luongo and all the hate he has got around the league over his career, he is arguably still a top 3 goalie in this league. I think most fans can agree that Lundqvist is the undisputed best goalie in the world right now. Past that, you have a slough of goalies in Quick, Howard, Crawford, Rask, Schneider, and Luongo who are all right there.

I don't mean to ruffle feathers here, but Carey Price is the most overrated goalie in the league, in my opinion. Watching him play for years now, the goals that he gets beat on make him look either extremely slow or extremely lazy when it comes to lateral movement. He has done nothing in the playoffs and has only had one exceptional regular season under his belt.

Luongo should get the start barring disaster. I am not only saying this because I am a Canucks fan because it is a 100 % guarantee he won't be in a Canucks sweater by next season so he won't even be representing us anymore. I feel terrible for what he has gone through over the last year and a half with the way he has been handled. His career statistics are some of the best numbers of ALL-TIME in net. The amount of hate he has gotten on these boards is frankly ridiculous.
Talk about overrating. Luongo is a top 3 goalie yet he was benched for a goalie who is not even likely to make the American team (Quick Miller and Anderson are all better). Amazing how the Canucks have two top three goalies and still got swept in the first round.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:29 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Talk about overrating. Luongo is a top 3 goalie yet he was benched for a goalie who is not even likely to make the American team (Quick Miller and Anderson are all better). Amazing how the Canucks have two top three goalies and still got swept in the first round.
I'd still take Luongo over the likes of Reimer, Smith, or Brodeur.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:49 AM
DyerMaker66

I'd agree with you for two out of three of those.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Stats01

As a Leaf fan I'd just be happy with Reimer getting a camp invite

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

American fan here in peace (lol).

Just wondering why Luongo wouldn't get the initial start and then either Price or Ward can play him out of the #1 spot in the tournament's round robin.

Kind of like what happened in 2010. Brodeur was deemed the #1 but Luongo played him out of it.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:09 PM
LEAFSIN4

What the hell has Price done in this league to warrant a spot on the Olympic team? If anything, he has proven that he is not ready for big games.

Corey Crawford, Mike Smith... these guys deserve a look before Price. Fleury should not even be considered, while guys like Holtby and Reimer will have a chance to prove themselves next season.

I think they go in with Luongo, Brodeur, and Ward.

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFSIN4 View Post
What the hell has Price done in this league to warrant a spot on the Olympic team? If anything, he has proven that he is not ready for big games.

Corey Crawford, Mike Smith... these guys deserve a look before Price. Fleury should not even be considered, while guys like Holtby and Reimer will have a chance to prove themselves next season.

I think they go in with Luongo, Brodeur, and Ward.
Corey Crawford is Devan Dubnyk playing on a better team. No thanks.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:25 PM
connellc

You know, I originally thought it was a no brainer a couple years ago and have Luongo,Price,Fleury but now after Fleury/Price meltdown, I wouldn't even give those two a shot unless they were playing incredible at the time.

Luongo is the only sure fire guy IMO. He's had lots of success internationally with the World cup, 2006 and the 2010 Olympics.I think the starting job is his to lose (like Brodeur lost in 2010).

The other two are a little bit quizzical. I'd be inclined to pick Cam Ward because he has had success on the big ice surface/world championships and seems capable of a starting gig.

The third will SHOULD be the best playing Canadian goalie at the time and hoping to potentially ride his hot streak. I could care less of it's Price/Fleury/Brodeur or some rookie.

connellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 06:07 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
As a Leaf fan I'd just be happy with Reimer getting a camp invite
This made me smile.

Crawford in Chicago makes me think of Crawford on Team Canada. Solid but not great goalie with a loaded D in front of him.

Crawford, Price and Luongo. God help us!

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
zantiubraun

Looks pretty bad for Canada compared to Finland, Sweden and USA.
Cam Ward was injured, Luongo and MAF have not been spectacular, even Price struggled. (but I hope Luongo plays well next season and is the starter again)

At least they have many good goalies, their situation could look much better next season with some other names playing great.

zantiubraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
HFX902

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

They'll be fine.
Going by your DP I understand, but I disagree.

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote