HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

By the Numbers: Reasons for Optimism for Season's 2nd Half

Old
01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
dubgeek

vCash: 500
By the Numbers: Reasons for Optimism for Season's 2nd Half

The Predators have reached the All Star break. In the first half of the season they have compiled the following:
  • Highest total point percentage having secured 72.22% of their available points
  • Second highest raw winning percentage (wins/games played) at 66.67% (Islanders are #1 at 67.39%)
  • Highest home point percentage at 88.1% - ~7 points clear of #2 Lightning with 81.25%
  • Highest home raw winning percentage at 85.71% - ~6 points clear of #2 Islanders at 80%
  • On the down side they are 12th and 13th respectively in Away point percentage (58.33%) and away win percentage (50%)

With that said here are some reasons for optimism for the rest of the season:

Preds have more home games remaining than all of the Western conference contenders; Vancouver has 21 home games remaining to the Preds' 20.
Preds have game(s) in hand on all of the Western conference contenders; in particular, 1 on St. Louis, and after tonight's games it'll be 2 on Chicago and Anaheim.

Taking 3 out of the possible 6 points in the 3 games Pekka has missed was huge. I'm hopeful that the official report of a 3-5 week recovery was overly conservative. When he got hurt he skated off the ice and walked down the tunnel under his own power and didn't seem to have to favor the right leg too much while doing so. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 3-5 week official report was a just the front office giving him cover to back out of the All Star Game and to see him start on Tuesday. However, if he needs that third week of recovery that would have him out for 2 games against Colorado - certainly winnable almost no matter who we have in net and despite one being the back end of a back-to-back - and 1 against St. Louis - winnable if the Pred team that played last night shows up for that one.

All in all, I think Predators fans are in for a very fun ride to the end of season. I expect them to be in the think of the Central Division and Presidents' Trophy race right up to the end. February will be the key. Fifteen games in 28 days, but 10 of those at home. There are a few tough games in there - 5 against current top 10 teams, 8 total against current playoff bound teams. They just need to buckle down and make a strong push in February to set themselves up for a glorious finish.

dubgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

We should be fine; 1-1-1 without Rinne is not wonderful, but it is palatable. I don't put much stock in the President's Trophy, but being the #1 seed overall and guaranteeing the home advantage through the playoffs is a very real benefit to the team this year given our play at home. Keep it up.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 06:20 AM
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
We should be fine; 1-1-1 without Rinne is not wonderful, but it is palatable. I don't put much stock in the President's Trophy, but being the #1 seed overall and guaranteeing the home advantage through the playoffs is a very real benefit to the team this year given our play at home. Keep it up.
Win the President's Trophy then go undefeated at home in the playoffs. Guaranteed cup win.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote