HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

1 year ago today, a beautiful thing happened

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2005, 05:04 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
1 year ago today, a beautiful thing happened

This may hurt a bit so you have been warned....

What event was it you may be asking

Old
05-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Oil_slick9416*

Send a message via ICQ to Oil_slick9416* Send a message via MSN to Oil_slick9416*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
This may hurt a bit so you have been warned....

What event was it you may be asking

that'll teach them leafs, i remember that game. beauty!

Old
05-04-2005, 06:12 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Damn you......

Old
05-04-2005, 06:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
5 years ago tonight, no one went to sleep until 2:30 a.m.

Old
05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I remember that game ... whew, I don't know if anybody really WANTED that game to END

Old
05-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
and I was 5 hours ahead of you guys.

I still remember punching a hole in the ceiling when the goal went in.

Old
05-04-2005, 10:55 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
so which was better for you guys, game 6 vs. Toronto or Game 6 vs. TB?

For me it's TB, just from that raw despair to elation when Primeau scored and screaming my lungs out when Gagne won it. Just a great atmosphere that night too.

Old
05-05-2005, 12:10 AM
mercury

Primeau's goal was just sick.

Old
05-05-2005, 12:24 AM
The Joker
Simba

vCash: 50
Reading that made me realise how much I miss NHL playoff hockey Oh well, atleast it reminded me that my team wouldn't even be playing but I could always be there to make fun of Sens and Leafs fans when they made their 1st and 2nd round departures respectively.

Old
05-05-2005, 03:30 AM
PRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
and I was 5 hours ahead of you guys.

I still remember punching a hole in the ceiling when the goal went in.

haha, same here. Was breakfast time before i was getting into bed after that one!

Old
05-05-2005, 04:29 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
That night was crazy...lol Bye Bye Laffs! Soooo goood!

Old
05-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast Giants
haha, same here. Was breakfast time before i was getting into bed after that one!
Its a bummer when the sun comes up during a game because you are so tired but its still hard to sleep, needless to say I had to call in a sickey for work after that game.

Old
05-05-2005, 08:35 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
so which was better for you guys, game 6 vs. Toronto or Game 6 vs. TB?

For me it's TB, just from that raw despair to elation when Primeau scored and screaming my lungs out when Gagne won it. Just a great atmosphere that night too.
That was a Thursday, I was supposed to pick up my buddy at the airport. Me and 8 of my buddies go fishing on May long. I was late picking him up, HIGH on the awesome win, Mad , because game 7 was Saturday and we camp on an island in the middle on no where with no TV. Brought a satelellite phone to get the bad news, But that game 6 was unbeleivable !!!

Old
05-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Flyers26

To be at the Game 6 vs. Tampa was awesome. That being said, I was up the entire time, vs Pens. calling my brother & buddy after every period, making sure we all stayed awake! It was awesome, when that game ended. The next day, after less than 4 hours of sleep, we were on the road to Richmond, Va (3hr plus drive), for a NASACAR race, tired as hell, but wound up because of the win. I couldn't imagine having to do that ride, if they would have lost.

Old
05-06-2005, 10:41 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1376
Quote:
And one of us jumped so high, my raised hand did battle with a moving ceiling fan.

Old
05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Kevin Danko

vCash: 897
I smoked entirely to much weed that night, if i remember correctly.

Old
05-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
I smoked entirely to much weed that night, if i remember correctly.
What was the bowls to goals ratio of the 5 OT game?

Old
05-09-2005, 02:14 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
What was the bowls to goals ratio of the 5 OT game?
Too many bowls and there's no way he made it through the 3rd OT.

Old
05-09-2005, 02:20 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I think I was in bed within a minute after the goal being scored,

Old
05-09-2005, 07:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Too many bowls and there's no way he made it through the 3rd OT.

You don't know that. He could have been growing it in his garden, that's how he has so much.

Old
05-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Teezax

There's been a few good memories in the last 5 years that had me jumping for joy.

1. Primeau's against the Pens stands out #1 for sure. It turned the series around completely. No way we would have gotten past the Pens had they won that game.

2. Game # 6 against the leafs. It had to have been the build up in that OT period that made it so amazing to watch, complete end to end action.....Kapanen getting smoked into the boards, 2 on 1 for Toronto, turn around 2 on 1 Philly...Roenick scores....what emotion...I almost jump kicked my girlfriend.

3. Game # 6 against the Bolts. Again, the crowd roaring all dressed in orange, seconds ticking away, Primeau pulls out the tying goal and i knew then we were winning. No way Tampa had the spirit and fight to win in OT after that. I really believed that win was enough to get us past Tampa because of the emotional high. I was expecting a rout for game 7 with Philly ready for the Flames for the Stanley cup Finals. We were so damn close. I truly believe we would have ate the Flames for breakfast in the Finals.

Old
05-18-2005, 03:33 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
I was expecting a rout for game 7 with Philly ready for the Flames for the Stanley cup Finals. We were so damn close. I truly believe we would have ate the Flames for breakfast in the Finals.
I agree about the Flames comment. However, after Game 6, I just had a real bad feeling before Game 7. Some reason I knew we weren't going to win. By the time Game 7 was here, I was hoping to be wrong. We will be back there and win very soon.

Old
05-18-2005, 04:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
I agree about the Flames comment. However, after Game 6, I just had a real bad feeling before Game 7. Some reason I knew we weren't going to win. By the time Game 7 was here, I was hoping to be wrong. We will be back there and win very soon.

I actually had a worse feeling for Game 6 than I did Game 7. Mainly because I picked the first 5 games correctly (and I think something crazy like 14 in a row). I got games 6 and 7 wrong. I was absolutely convinced that if the Flyers won Game 6 they win Game 7. Usually the way things have unfolded in the past in the NHL playoffs, a team like the Flyers go on to win the Cup and Tampa Bay probably has a good lottery pick after what would have been this season. After the way the 1st period unfolded in Game 7 I wasn't too condifent, but I was hopeful.

That Game 6 reminded me of when Pittsburgh beat Buffalo in 2001. For those who don't know I'll break it down.

Pittsburgh did a repeat performance of 2000, almost. They 'upset' Washington in the 1st round, and then won 2 games in Buffalo, lost 2 games to Buffalo at home (neither in 5 overtimes though), and then lost game 5 in Buffalo (in OT).

Game 6, Pittsburgh was trailing Buffalo in the final minutes. Pittsburgh went with an empty net, and then there was a crazy play in front of the net. The puck somehow went straight up and high into the air. It came back down, at least 2 guys tried to glove it and they both missed, and the puck, wouldn'tcha know it, fell right onto the stick of Mario Lemieux and scored to tie the game. He later credited that play to the recently passed, Eddie Johnson. Game went into overtime and Martin Straka scored and sent the series to Buffalo to Game 7, where Pittsburgh once again scored to tie the game in the 3rd and then Darius Kasparitius won the game in overtime.

I figured the Flyers were going to follow the same script.

Old
05-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax

3. Game # 6 against the Bolts. Again, the crowd roaring all dressed in orange, seconds ticking away, Primeau pulls out the tying goal and i knew then we were winning. No way Tampa had the spirit and fight to win in OT after that. I really believed that win was enough to get us past Tampa because of the emotional high. I was expecting a rout for game 7 with Philly ready for the Flames for the Stanley cup Finals. We were so damn close. I truly believe we would have ate the Flames for breakfast in the Finals.
That might be my all time favorite game I attended. The emotion in that building, was something that might never be replicated. You just knew that somehow, someway, they would win that game.
I like everyone else, thought after that game, we roll thru Tampa in Game 7, and right on thru the finals. Sad thing is if we would have had one more healthy defenseman, I think we'd have polished off Tampa in 5 or 6 games. The way we were short handed, if we'd have had the #1 seed, it would have made a huge difference in the series outcome. The Flyers would have had the easy Tampa route to the conference finals, unlike us, who had Jersey & Toronto.

Old
05-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
That might be my all time favorite game I attended. The emotion in that building, was something that might never be replicated. You just knew that somehow, someway, they would win that game.
I like everyone else, thought after that game, we roll thru Tampa in Game 7, and right on thru the finals. Sad thing is if we would have had one more healthy defenseman, I think we'd have polished off Tampa in 5 or 6 games. The way we were short handed, if we'd have had the #1 seed, it would have made a huge difference in the series outcome. The Flyers would have had the easy Tampa route to the conference finals, unlike us, who had Jersey & Toronto.
That's right Bill, enduring a physical battle like we did after the Leafs and Devils, it was hard to compete with the Bolts who were practically fresh after sweeping the Habs and making easy work of the Isles. And even after that, we were but an inch away from taking them out. We would have had a nice series with THE Flames in the stanley Cup Finals, as we both had a hell of a physical and tiring run. Both teams running on fumes going to war for hockey's most notable prize.
That being said, im still very proud of the effort we put, and the never say die attitude the team had in the post season. they gave their fans a hell of a show after what we've endured dysmal playoff years of recent.
I think we're coming closer to the cup as each year passes. We will be as good as anyone in the league with the new additions to the roster. Let's just get this season started already!

Closed Thread