HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2005 Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2005, 01:47 AM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
2005 Draft

Apparently, Gary Bettman wants to have a lottery system that's based on the number of times you've made the playoffs the last 3-4 years. This news may benefit us.

Here are two links to the lottery system:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

Both describle a little different system. Basically, you'd lose a ball for every year that you made the playoffs. One link says you start with four balls and based it on the past 4 years. The other link says you start with 3 balls and base it on the past 3 years. And you'd also lose a ball if you had a #1 pick. And think they should also expanded that to teams that had a #2 pick (i.e. Columbus-Nash, Pitts- Malkin).

Regardless, it looks like we will have a chance at the #1 pick. We can dream, right?

Old
05-19-2005, 05:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok

Regardless, it looks like we will have a chance at the #1 pick. We can dream, right?

I have been, for the past 2 years

Can you imagine how furious the hockey "purists" would be if Crosby ended up in Nashville?

The outrage would be delicious

Old
05-19-2005, 08:45 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Mojo Radio in Toronto has a hockey show at 11:00 CST every day. They call it "Leaf's Lunch" so you know where their team is, but they talk about hockey as a whole. Their hockey guru (Bill Waters) says that under that system (minus the number 2 pick 'penalty') puts Columbus and NYR as two of the teams to likely get the first pick. It's Waters' opinion that while he would not like to see Crosby go to NYR, it's one of the best places for Crosby to go for hockey's sake.

He says to put the "next Gretzky" in a high media city like NY, Chicago or LA would be better for hockey than to put him in Columbus.

I dunno. They also seem to think that the people of Columbus and the US as a whole won't appreciate Crosby. And according to a caller, Crosby wants to go to Montreal.

Old
05-19-2005, 10:39 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I don't think the NHL would be too upset if Crosby ended up in a town like Columbus or Nashville. Both have bright futures (though Nashville's is brighter ) and it could help cement hockey in that region for a long time.

If Sid comes to Nashville and takes the Preds to a few cup runs, I think hockey can grow in the South. I think the South has potential to generate hockey talent. But hockey has to be higher up on the totem pole. Unfortunately, with the way Bettman and the BOG has led hockey into a trapfest and the way the NHLPA and owners have destroyed the NHL's relationship with their fans, it's going to take a lot of work.

As for Sid wanting to go to Montreal, I don't think he'll be too particular. I think he's a Habs fan, but it's kind of like if you or I were to be NHL draft eligible. I would love to play for Nashville, but if I get drafted by Columbus, I'll be playing for them.

Old
05-19-2005, 10:39 AM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
gary bettman is nuts!

Old
05-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Pred303

don't fool yourself..the league management will go into mourning if crosby were to wind up with a southern small market team(or any non major tv market/non traditional location team period)...in their perfect world crosby goes to ny,la,chi,tor,mon first..then the other canadian teams...then either detroit/boston/philly...the southern teams are off their hope scale

Old
05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I have been, for the past 2 years

Can you imagine how furious the hockey "purists" would be if Crosby ended up in Nashville?

The outrage would be delicious
I doubt there'd be any outrage if Nashville got him.

The outrage would come if DET, TOR, COL, DAL, PHI, NJ, or (even more disgustingly likely) NYR got him.

I don't mind if everyone gets a chance at him, just as long as it's not possible that any of those teams get him. I guess it's like saying there's a 30% chance of rain when it's pouring.

Old
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
vopatsrash

it's a virtual no win situation for the league in terms of backlash.

If Sid goes to NYR, TO, DET, MTL, PHI, LA, COL, DAL, VAN, BOS, STL, NJ, NYI, or CHI, there will be a lot of "they put the (insert big market/high profile team here) ping pong ball in dry ice so bettman knew which one to pick" conspiracy theories.

If he goes to OTT/EDM/CAL there will be a lot of "they put the (insert struggling financially Canadian team with rabid fan base here) ping pong ball in dry ice so bettman knew which one to pick in order to save their franchise" conspiracy theories.

If he goes to PHX, TB, FLA, ATL, CAR, NSH, ANA, CLB, SJ there will be a lot of "they put the (insert non-traditional hockey market team here) ping pong ball in dry ice so bettman knew which one to pick in order to save their fraanchise" conspiracy theories. and everyone will be upset because Sid went to PHX, TB, FLA, ATL, CAR, NSH, ANA, CLB, SJ and there will be a lot of whining that "they don't even play hockey down there, how can they get crosby?"

If he goes to PIT, people will complain that "they iced the ping pong ball so Mario could get a new arena."

Basically, the only two teams that can draft Crosby in a relatively controversy-free manner are Buffalo and Minnesota (and maybe STL).

Old
05-22-2005, 11:39 PM
CandyDelNOmore

My conspiracy theory sees Crosby going to the Rangers. Big market, spot light, team in desperate need of an identity, a good identity at that, not just a bunch of cash chucking idiots. Don't get me wrong I would absolutely love to see Crosby in a Preds jersey, but if there was some rigging to go on, it would be in favor of the Rangers. Not saying that will happen, just wanted to throw that theory(of mine) out there.

Closed Thread