HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Are the Pens going to re-sign Iginla?

Old
05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Two of my kids are huge Pens fams (makes for an interesting household) so we know a lot about the Pens. Short answer, YES. They will have the cap space, Iggy feels comfortable there and they welcomed him with open arms, he's not the type of player to bounce around and chase money, he likes it there, IGGY actually CHOSE to go to Pittsburgh, and oh yeah THEY HAVE THE MONEY TO SIGN HIM. He could get more elsewhere but mark my words he'll be a Pen next season.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:51 PM
roflstomper
I don't row.

If they don't win the cup then yes he gives them a little discount and stays. If they win he goes wherever the money is.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Warm Cookies
Til Death Do Us Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Yep...which Is why I think one of them gets dealt. Malkin especially. They can deal him for some younger/cheaper players.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:59 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I don't see Iggy playing into his 40's As of right now his wheels are starting fall off. At times he's gotten pushed off the puck pretty easy.

I think 2 years and he's done. 3 is pushing it.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:19 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I don't see Iggy playing into his 40's As of right now his wheels are starting fall off. At times he's gotten pushed off the puck pretty easy.

I think 2 years and he's done. 3 is pushing it.
I think he'sgoing to sign a 2 year, 8-10 mil deal (4-5 milcap hit). The Pens havea number of other playersthey have to resign and a lot of nice looking prospects ready to make the jump to the NHL to fill in for the guys they let go. Morrow is gone, I truly believe Iggy is resigned (and for lessthan market value).

Asto Malkin and Letang needing new contracts, I tink Malkin signs a deal very similar to Crosby's (ie - long term, less than market value, around 8.7 mil cap hit). I personally think that Letang will sign a shorter contract (3 years) and take hisbig payday later. I just have agut feeling that the Pens would get rid of Fleury before they'd let either Letang or Malkin go. I've heard nothing confirming this, it's just a gut feeling I have.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:28 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

If The Pens win, my gut has him signing in vancouver for 2 years 10-11 million or something.

Puke.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buy Gold

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
then don't back Dupuis I can't believe that's even a question.
Why wouldn't it be? Dupuis has been trending up ever since he put on a Penguins uniform, Iginla has been trending down for a year or two now.

I fully expect both to be Penguins next year, mind you, but if it's an either/or situation then it is a very real question. Dupuis almost certainly has more hockey left in his legs than Iggy does.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:59 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think Dupuis is a better hockey player right now than Iginla as unbelievable as that sounds. Iggy is still more skilled and way better on the PP but Dupuis is more versatile and the better all around player, imo. I think both will be back though. Morrow, Kennedy and numerous others will be gone.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:08 AM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
Depends on Iginla.

If they win the cup, he probably returns and signs at 5 million per year for 5years, and finished his career with the Pens.

If they lose, he probably resigns at one year and tries to go for the cup again.
Doubtful. If they win the cup, he'll almost certainly finish his career in Calgary, if you ask me.

CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:11 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Seems reasonable as he obviously wants to play for the Penguins. At what price, though? 3 years/5 million per? How big a problem might something like that be down the line for either side?

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Peter Griffin

What kind of contract is Dupuis likely to get? I'd say Alex Burrows 4 year, $18M deal he signed not long ago would be a good comparable. Burrows is a couple years younger and has put up slightly better numbers for more seasons, so maybe drop it to 3 years, and between $3.5-4M per?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
If The Pens win, my gut has him signing in vancouver for 2 years 10-11 million or something.

Puke.
That is my worst fear. However, as a big Jarome Iginla fan and a Flames season ticket holder I hope he signs in the division so I can watch him play three times a season. How about Iggy signs in LA to be with Sutter again?

Also, I think many of you will be shocked by the $ and the term Iggy gets July 5. Look what Shane Doan got last year. I say Jarome signs a multi year deal north of 7 mill per, maybe even 8.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:25 AM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
What kind of contract is Dupuis likely to get? I'd say Alex Burrows 4 year, $18M deal he signed not long ago would be a good comparable. Burrows is a couple years younger and has put up slightly better numbers for more seasons, so maybe drop it to 3 years, and between $3.5-4M per?
Dupuis is 34 and had a nice year but were talking about a guy who's top output was 25 goals, if he wants $4m they'll let him walk and give Iggy $5m X 3 and let him play with Crosby.

Johnnybegood13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:47 AM
nmbr_24

The Penguins will have just under $8 million in cap space according to capgeek and they will need to get at least 1 D and 3 forwards to fill out the roster and give them 1 extra at each position.

I think common sense tells us that at the very least Iginla will get $4 million for next year, Dupuis will get at the very least $3 million, and those are both pretty low ball deals, that doesn't leave any space to re-sign Cooke or the other players they will need.

It looks to me that unless they make some other deals, at least one of Iginla or Dupuis won't be back and that probably means Cooke won't be back either.

Tough decisions are coming for Pittsburgh but that is what happens when you have a good team in a capped league.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:59 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Dupuis is 34 and had a nice year but were talking about a guy who's top output was 25 goals, if he wants $4m they'll let him walk and give Iggy $5m X 3 and let him play with Crosby.
If they give Iginla $5 million then they have under $3 million to fill out their team which will still be short 2 forwards and a defenseman.

It could be done it just isn't easy to find players making that little unless they fill out the roster with rookies. It looks to me that all of the Penguins best prospects are defenseman and many of their minor league forwards aren't close to making it or need to be re-signed. They just don't seem to have the prospects at forward to fill out the roster that way.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
The Penguins will have just under $8 million in cap space according to capgeek and they will need to get at least 1 D and 3 forwards to fill out the roster and give them 1 extra at each position.

Tough decisions are coming for Pittsburgh but that is what happens when you have a good team in a capped league.
i look at cap geek and it looks like they already have $56.4M committed....that means they only have $5M to spend in the offseason.

the team has to keep around $3M to spend for call ups and deadline deals.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

No matter what happens this year or next, he'll retire a Flame. I'd bank money on that.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 04:03 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Why wouldn't it be? Dupuis has been trending up ever since he put on a Penguins uniform, Iginla has been trending down for a year or two now.

I fully expect both to be Penguins next year, mind you, but if it's an either/or situation then it is a very real question. Dupuis almost certainly has more hockey left in his legs than Iggy does.
because Dupuis is the pens version of Bozak meaning Dupuis is being carried by VASTLY superior talent and thus his numbers are inflated and he is made to look MUCH MUCH better then he actually is.

Iggy is the complete opposite he has been a star despite the fact his supporting cast has been GARBAGE for his entire career, now he has players around him now get to see what he can do when he has other players around him.

The choice is EASY

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 04:33 AM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Quote:
because Dupuis is the pens version of Bozak meaning Dupuis is being carried by VASTLY superior talent and thus his numbers are inflated and he is made to look MUCH MUCH better then he actually is.

Iggy is the complete opposite he has been a star despite the fact his supporting cast has been GARBAGE for his entire career, now he has players around him now get to see what he can do when he has other players around him.

The choice is EASY
Who was the vastly superior talent that carried Dupuis to 59 points last season without Crosby and with no powerplay time? Steve Sullivan?

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Quote:
The choice is EASY
It is, if you only go by name recognition.

Random Oracle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 06:29 AM
Human
cynic

guys like Dupuis, Iginla or Kunitz won't get contracts longer than 2-3 years. it's the way Shero works...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:17 AM
airforceones25

Bobby Ryan for Kris Letang

Pittsburgh replaces Iggy with a younger legitimate weapon for Crosby's wing. They can pay Malkin his money. The loss of Letang stings but they have a good crop of young defenseman eager to make a splash on their roster.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 11:39 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Bobby Ryan for Kris Letang

Pittsburgh replaces Iggy with a younger legitimate weapon for Crosby's wing. They can pay Malkin his money. The loss of Letang stings but they have a good crop of young defenseman eager to make a splash on their roster.
Id love Ryan on the pens. But that has to be Ryan+ for the pens to consider it.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:12 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post

Puke.
He hates Vancouver.

It will be a team in the East. Like Boston (eek) or the NYR.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:15 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
He hates Vancouver.

It will be a team in the East. Like Boston (eek) or the NYR.
The Islanders could be an option too. He'd be with Tavares and on an up and coming team. They have the cap space to sign him with no problem.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote