HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Matt Stajan Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The Matt Stajan Appreciation Thread

With the crappy situation between the owners and NHLPA, one thing that makes me feel better about hockey is thinking about those players last year who exceeded my expectations. For that reason, I really enjoy the frequent "so and so is underrated" threads we've had here lately.

One player that I think is deserving of a little celebration is Matt Stajan. I think most of the more informed posters on this board appreciate what this kid has accomplished. His numbers were not as impressive (on paper) as guys like Hunter, Ryder, and Bergeron. But, what really jumped out for me was this kid's savy. He never seemed out of place against older and experienced players and has that natural read of the play that just can't be taught.

I think this kid is headed for a very, very bright future in the NHL. At worst, he'll be a stud third liner and his upside is probably much better than that.

Old
05-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
With the crappy situation between the owners and NHLPA, one thing that makes me feel better about hockey is thinking about those players last year who exceeded my expectations. For that reason, I really enjoy the frequent "so and so is underrated" threads we've had here lately.

One player that I think is deserving of a little celebration is Matt Stajan. I think most of the more informed posters on this board appreciate what this kid has accomplished. His numbers were not as impressive (on paper) as guys like Hunter, Ryder, and Bergeron. But, what really jumped out for me was this kid's savy. He never seemed out of place against older and experienced players and has that natural read of the play that just can't be taught.

I think this kid is headed for a very, very bright future in the NHL. At worst, he'll be a stud third liner and his upside is probably much better than that.
You really should have gone with a thread dedicated to someone not in Leaf land, because alot of people are so quick to find fault in a Leaf prospect, but if he was on their team, he'd be a godsend.

That said, I think Stajan is alot like Nieuwy when he joined the Flameski's

Old
05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Not wanting to go off topic, but your boy Dave Scatchard's name is rarely mentioned when the topic features premier 3rd line centers.

Old
05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

You know I love Scatch to death. He is probably my favorite player in the NHL right now.

Not as naturally talented as some other players in the NHL, but big, strong, and comes to play every night. If Peca moves on at the end of next season, I'd like to see Scatch get the "C".

Old
05-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

I was impressed with what Stajan accomplished last year as well, and he's showing signs of being a Sens killer.

From what I've been reading, some Leaf fans were a bit disappointed with his year this year in the A, and he got called out by the coach, etc. Perhaps he was guilty of NHL envy. Anyway, it's probably that the fans expected alot out of him after his great year with the big team.

He definitely didn't get the same sort of attention as those other guys you mentioned, but I think more people will start to take notice. Once he bulks up a bit more, he'll get even better.

Old
05-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Geese_Howard*

This thread should be a apprecation to players who never get recognition

hooray Poni, McCauley, Lapointe

Old
05-19-2005, 03:32 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard
This thread should be a apprecation to players who never get recognition

hooray Poni, McCauley, Lapointe
Fitzergald....

and Stajan would have higher numbers on any other teams... he had the most points for mins played did he not??

Old
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Stajan is a solid player...he played like a vet last year...you could never tell he was a rookie...one of the few bright spots in terms of youth for the Leafs

Old
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Man, it was so nice to see a young talent on the team for the first time in a while. I think of him as an only child, and as such he will be coddled and showered with love

Old
05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
You know I love Scatch to death. He is probably my favorite player in the NHL right now.

Not as naturally talented as some other players in the NHL, but big, strong, and comes to play every night. If Peca moves on at the end of next season, I'd like to see Scatch get the "C".
Man, that was the dumbest Canucks trade since the Neely fiasco.
At the time, a lot of my friends were whining about losing Bill Muckalt...I assured them we would miss Scatchard more, and we have.

Old
05-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I have to give you credit Darth. You hate the Leafs, but if they manage to do something right you'll recognize it.

Old
05-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
Not wanting to go off topic, but your boy Dave Scatchard's name is rarely mentioned when the topic features premier 3rd line centers.
No doubt. Why is he so easy to overlook? Maybe his name is just easy to forget or something. Sorry for contributing to the Offtopicsy.

Old
05-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama
Man, that was the dumbest Canucks trade since the Neely fiasco.
At the time, a lot of my friends were whining about losing Bill Muckalt...I assured them we would miss Scatchard more, and we have.
I don't think it was such a bad move considering the circumstances. The Nucks thought they needed a vet netminder and went for the best one on the market.

And, btw, I thought Muckalt was going to be the key to the deal. I was sure he would turn into a solid 25 - 30 goal man.

Old
05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
You really should have gone with a thread dedicated to someone not in Leaf land, because alot of people are so quick to find fault in a Leaf prospect, but if he was on their team, he'd be a godsend.

That said, I think Stajan is alot like Nieuwy when he joined the Flameski's
hmm. well I like Stajan a lot . he's a great young player, but Nieuwendyk scored 50 goals at 21 . sure it was a different era, and he was a touch older when he stepped into the league having gone the NCAA route, but Nieuwendyk stepped into the top 6 of a very deep team and starred right away. I guess I just dont see the comparison

Old
05-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

They aren't that similar in style either. I guess the main comparison is that both came in with fairly sophisticated overall games, and both seemed to come out of nowhere.

Old
05-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Scatchard I love that player, he was my 3rd center dream for a long time until we got Bonk to play that role.

And here goes to Stajan too, gotta give some credit to some leafs players from time to time

Old
05-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Mysterion

Quote:
he was my 3rd center dream for a long time until we got Bonk to play that role.
Guaranteed he is on your top two lines 10 games into your season

And who the heck is Stajan?

Old
05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa420

ahahah i'm sure you heard his name while watching a toronto victory over ottawa..

Old
05-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Chootoi

Question: is it pronounced "Stage-in" or "Stay-in". in other words, is the j silent? I've heard both used frequently.

Old
05-20-2005, 02:24 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
hmm. well I like Stajan a lot . he's a great young player, but Nieuwendyk scored 50 goals at 21 . sure it was a different era, and he was a touch older when he stepped into the league having gone the NCAA route, but Nieuwendyk stepped into the top 6 of a very deep team and starred right away. I guess I just dont see the comparison
Couldn't agree more.

Old
05-20-2005, 02:51 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Couldn't agree more.
Stajan was mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines ona team that rotates evenly..

put stajan a team where he would be the 2nd lnie center and have PP time, he might has close to that..

Old
05-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa420

Highly doubt it with Koivu and Ribeiro on the offensive lines while Bonk is a well rounded center. Give him Bulis whom is a very good defensive player who can put the puck in the net from time to time and Sundstrom and you have one very good defensive line who aren't too shady at offense. There would be no reason to move him on the first two lines.

Old
05-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Stajan is nothing like Nieuwendyk, anyway. I'd be interested in hearing some other comparisons though, if anybody can think of one or two...

Old
05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
Stajan was mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines ona team that rotates evenly..

put stajan a team where he would be the 2nd lnie center and have PP time, he might has close to that..
just to be clear, are you saying that if Matt Stajan was given 2nd line icetime and a spin on the powerplay he'd be--give or take-- a 50 goal man at 21?

Old
05-20-2005, 06:14 PM
cleduc

I like Stajan's smarts and attitude, etc. He is a likable player. But he has some work to do on getter stronger on his skates. At his young age, he likely will.

I think there's quite a gap between Matt Stajan and a young Joe Nieuwendyk and there very, very likely always will be some gap there.

Closed Thread