HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Verbeek Trade Tidbit

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2005, 07:50 PM
SUAlumni95

vCash: 500
Interesting Verbeek Trade Tidbit

First time, Long time...

TSN.ca had a story about the upcoming Hall of Fame voting and they mentioned Beeker as a first time eligible candidate. Not that he has a shot, but in looking more closely at his stat line, I noticed something interesting in his transaction histroy as it relates to his trade from Hartford to NY:

New York Rangers traded Glen Featherstone, Michael Stewart, 1st round selection (Jean-Sebastien Giguere) in 1995 and 4th round selection (Steve Wasylko) in 1996 to the Hartford Whalers for Pat Verbeek.

The actual players at the time were insignificant, even though Stewart was still considered a prospect at that point, but wow, we could've had Giggy!!

Beeker was great for us, averaging more than a point a game in his brief tenure with the Blueshirts...such a shame that we gave away so much for less than 100 games of service.

I'm sure most of you diehards know this trade detail, but I found it interesting, and thought others might as well.

Here's hoping the powers that be come to their senses soon, and we see hockey in the Fall...

Peace!

Old
05-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Balej20*

Yeah, that came up a lot during the Ducks cup run....but you know what, i have no problem with that trade, even looking at it from now. I loved Patty and Giggy is looking like a one year and done goalie....plus, we now have more goalie prospects then half the league combined.

Old
05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
NYR469

we probably wouldn't have taken him anyway since richter was still young, healthy and only a year removed from winning the cup

Old
05-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
we probably wouldn't have taken him anyway since richter was still young, healthy and only a year removed from winning the cup
Good point there as well.

Old
05-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Servo

Yeah, I'm still OK with that trade. Beeker played very well for us. I wish we had someone with that energy the last seven years. Didn't they call him The Little Ball of Hate?

Old
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I doubt we wouldve picked Gigurere with the 1st rounder after having selected Cloutier as a first a few seasons before, & with a young Richter still betwteen the pipes. I remember hearing that the Rangers liked Jay McKee, and of course he was picked with the next selection after JSG.

Far worse trade by Washington involving 1st rounder - Washington trades Gatane Duchesne, Alan Haworth and Washington's 1st round choice (Joe Sakic) in 1987 Entry Draft for Clint Malarchuk and Dale Hunter, June 13, 1987.

Old
05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
At least they got the heart and soul of their team for many seasons for the pick that ended up being Joe Sakic.

Of course, that heart and soul was a dirty thug *******, but they loved him down there. (Gosh, and I had almost forgotten why I don't particularly like the Caps!)

Old
05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
pld459666

Always

been a Dale Hunter Fan.

A player that can score 20-25 goals and assist on another 20-25 goals while being one major pain in the arse is a player I would love to have had on the Rangers.

Old
05-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
been a Dale Hunter Fan.

A player that can score 20-25 goals and assist on another 20-25 goals while being one major pain in the arse is a player I would love to have had on the Rangers.
But worth trading for Joe Sakic? No.

Old
05-19-2005, 03:25 AM
BlueShirt

Dale Hunter was a solid player. However, I am sure he will always be remembered most for his cheap shot hit on Pierre Turgeon during that Isles/Caps playoff game. Turgeon scores, raises his arms in glee, and gets NAILED blindside during his goal celebration.

That hit probably cost the Islanders a chance at the Cup that season. At least something good came out of that

Old
05-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirt
Dale Hunter was a solid player. However, I am sure he will always be remembered most for his cheap shot hit on Pierre Turgeon during that Isles/Caps playoff game. Turgeon scores, raises his arms in glee, and gets NAILED blindside during his goal celebration.

That hit probably cost the Islanders a chance at the Cup that season. At least something good came out of that
As if I respected Dale Hunter before that, I hated him after that. Even against the Islanders, that was gutless.

I went to college in DC, and that's where I learnt more about how Dale Hunter was just a yapper who's main job seemed to be to complain to refs. That was at the end of his career, though, and he did put up some solid numbers, so maybe he was ok before then.

Spending any length of time in Washington is enough to learn to hate their sports teams (especially the Redskins).

Old
05-20-2005, 05:04 PM
CDBOLT

Hunter's hit

Turned many casual fans into non-fans.Very ugly and stupid.

Old
05-20-2005, 05:20 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo
Yeah, I'm still OK with that trade. Beeker played very well for us. I wish we had someone with that energy the last seven years. Didn't they call him The Little Ball of Hate?
I always liked Pat Verbeek. He's was a tough little b@st@rd who usually scored 35 to 40 a season. One of the more underrated players who played during the "big players good small players bad" era. If only Lindros had half of Verbeek's tenacity.

Old
05-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007

Spending any length of time in Washington is enough to learn to hate their sports teams (especially the Redskins).
Amen to that! (As if I didn't hate the Redskins before I got here.) Although, I readily admit I have adopted the Nationals as my NL team. They're a likable group and I had no "conflicts."

Old
05-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I'm going to college near Washington, your damn right about that. I never liked the Skins or Caps, but now I can't stand either. The Nationals don't bother me, but maybe thats just cuz most people I know still support the O's.

As bad as Washington is, Philly is much worse IMO. So many of the people I know from Philly are so obnoxious about their teams. Thats why I rooted for the Pats in the Super Bowl even though I can't stand them. One of the greatest moments of my year was having my roomate shut up for the first time in months about T.0. and the "best team ever Eagles"...

Closed Thread