HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Memorial Cup Final Battle of our Draft Picks

Old
05-27-2013, 01:30 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

vCash: 500
Things will feel different by June 30th.

I thing it will revert back to Jones being the consensus #1. You can't forget Jones' incredible performance at the WJC and his first season in juniors was just as if not more impressive.

I'm not worried. But, I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket either because I know what it's like to be a Panther fan. However, I trust in DT. He's going to get what he wants.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
I'm not buying it. You take the best player at #1 and
MacKinnon is it. Florida Panther fans, be prepared to draft a D-man. Again.
It's not like Jones is a scrub, he's still a stud of a player, and frankly, I'd be fine with him. Don't think we hang onto all of he, Guds, and Kuli, but who knows.

This just turned into who goes over Hall and Seguin, just with a solid forward and a solid d-man. Both will greatly help their teams, and I still think they take Jones. It's not like it's a difference of Jones or Domi (who'll probably also be a stud, but won't be taken high), it's a window of two kids having great years and vying for the first pick.

05-27-2013, 09:22 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
It's not like Jones is a scrub, he's still a stud of a player, and frankly, I'd be fine with him. Don't think we hang onto all of he, Guds, and Kuli, but who knows.

This just turned into who goes over Hall and Seguin, just with a solid forward and a solid d-man. Both will greatly help their teams, and I still think they take Jones. It's not like it's a difference of Jones or Domi (who'll probably also be a stud, but won't be taken high), it's a window of two kids having great years and vying for the first pick.
Kulikov would most likely be able to net us a young proven top6 C (coutouier, i learnt how to spell huberdeau and thats the only french name i'll learn ever to spell, or similar). i think he holds the most value while being the most expendable of them. i love kuli but he's not one of GMDT:s picks

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

Either way would be awesome. We could have Jones, Kuli, Gud, Matheson and Petrovic in front of Markstrom(we might be nearly impossible to score against one day). Or we could trade from a deep well of defense and acquire a top 6 offensive player. And we could still take a center with our 2014 first rounder.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Either way would be awesome. We could have Jones, Kuli, Gud, Matheson and Petrovic in front of Markstrom(we might be nearly impossible to score against one day). Or we could trade from a deep well of defense and acquire a top 6 offensive player. And we could still take a center with our 2014 first rounder.
That is really a ridiculous top four defense. Size, skill, and speed all over, and with Marky in net, we would certainly be tough to score against. I still think the Avs go with Jones though. There defense is bad, and building a defense with EJ and Jones is a lot better than building a defense with EJ alone. I think the only way they go with Mac is if they have a deal in place to move one of their top end forwards for defensive help. There is still a lot of time left in this whole thing, and both the Panthers and Avs management will get a lot more clarity during the combine.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:05 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Everyone felt like "losing" the 1st overall pick was a gift from above, now it might feel more like another kick in the balls by the hockey gods. Just another curse on this franchise.

Jones is gonna be great, but I want MacKinnon so badly that I won't settle for anything less (at this point). At this point its probably 50-50, after Nates dominating Memorial Cup performance. But I'm gonna stay positive and say that Jones have been the #1 among scouts for most of the year, and I don't think that will change over a couple of games (even of such importance).

MacKinnon has been my BPA all season long, and hopefully the Avs take into factors that Jones is a hometown kid and the type of player they need. I don't see them passing up that, even if MacKinnons impressive play.

Can't wait for draft day!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Boooooth10

Just posting what McKenzie has to say in regards to this Jones/Mack situation.

Quote:
Here's my sense of the Memorial Cup week as it relates to NHL draft rankings for Jones, MacKinnon and Drouin:
Quote:
Pre-Memorial Cup, significant majority of scouts (say 6 of 10) I talk to had Jones at No. 1 but some had MacKinnon or Drouin 1st (two each).
Quote:
Misleading thing about title of consenus No. 1 is even if 9 of 10 scouts pick same guy, gap between No. 1 and 2 and 3 this year is tiny.
Quote:
That was true in Sept. when MacKinnon was clear No. 1 and post WJC/Prospects when Jones was clear No. 1.
Quote:
Some scouts have Drouin ahead of MacKinnon, and vice vera obviously, and I know at least one who has Aleksander Barkov ahead of both of them
Quote:
I've been working on latest draft rankings/prospect research for past week tho TSN's final rankings list not out until week prior to draft.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Boooooth10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:45 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

"Pre-Memorial Cup, significant majority of scouts (say 6 of 10) I talk to had Jones at No. 1 but some had MacKinnon or Drouin 1st (two each)."

In Bobs lottery version 8 of 10 scouts had Jones 1st, and one each for MacKinnon/Drouin. Seems like the gap is closing, and more uncertainty. But if the Avs feel Jones/MacKinnon are equal in terms of talent and upside (compared to their position), then they will go for need which is Jones. And hometown boy gotta count for something too.

Old
05-27-2013, 12:46 PM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Way too long until June 30th..

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Avsboy

Mark my words, Avs will go after Mackinnon. He is the Avs' chief scout's (Rick Pracey) fantasy. Everything he looks for in a player. Pracey mentioned this will be BPA all the way and not based on position. Also, Patrick Roy is now on board and will want a player from the Q.

It's going to happen. Mackinnon will go to the Avs.

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:15 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Jones has already proven that he is worthy of being taken 1st overall.

Now MacKinnon has too.

It's a good problem for the Panthers to have.

As I see it the draft has gone from...

Jones
---
MacKinnon
Drouin
---
Barkov

to

Jones
MacKinnon
----
Drouin
Barkov
----

Would everyone be happier if Mac had faded during the tournament? Why would you want to draft a player like that?

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Does anyone think we'd go Drouin if Avs pick Mac, even if we needed to trade down?

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:31 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
Mark my words, Avs will go after Mackinnon. He is the Avs' chief scout's (Rick Pracey) fantasy. Everything he looks for in a player. Pracey mentioned this will be BPA all the way and not based on position. Also, Patrick Roy is now on board and will want a player from the Q.

Based on what? your opinionZZ lol. No one knows who the Avalanche will pick. How do you know Roy wants a player from the Q? because he coached there the last few years? lmao

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:36 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Does anyone think we'd go Drouin if Avs pick Mac, even if we needed to trade down?

-ghoste
I thought we would before Mac separated himself and we had to decide between Mac & Drouin.

Tallon will walk up to that podium with a bid **** eating grin on his face and take Jones.

Drouin is an insane talent, but seems to have a style too similar to Huberdeau... and needs more seasoning.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:58 PM
buyinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Things will feel different by June 30th.

I thing it will revert back to Jones being the consensus #1. You can't forget Jones' incredible performance at the WJC and his first season in juniors was just as if not more impressive.

I'm not worried. But, I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket either because I know what it's like to be a Panther fan. However, I trust in DT. He's going to get what he wants.
He was good not incredible. The first few games of the tourny he looked confused. His play in the Whl is what made him rise.

buyinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:07 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post

I will quote you on this on draft day, if it doesn't happen.

And I hope for your sake that Roy has enough IQ to think of what is best for the team, and not let his emotions running. He should know better than that if he is gonna weight in on that decision.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:09 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I thought we would before Mac separated himself and we had to decide between Mac & Drouin.
Doubtful, Drouin is too similar to Huberdeau. MacKinnon completes Huberdeau.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:10 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Hey Panthers fans, hopefully you remember me from before.

So the Memorial Cup has come and gone...and I'm still in the Jones camp.

I think WAAAAY too much is being placed into the tournament, rather than looking at both Jones and MacKinnon's entire body of work.

So I'm still hoping to hear "Seth Jones" called by the Avalanche on June 30th and "Nathan MacKinnon" called by the Panthers shortly thereafter.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

-ghoste
I don't think we will pick Drouin. I dont see Tallon wanting the consensus no.3 player in the draft. While teams' rankings differ from scouting service rankings, the odds are against Tallon wanting to walk away from this draft with anyone other than MacKinnon or Jones. Even if we trade down, we are in a position right now to take one of the two players battling for no.1 and I dont think we will pass up that opportunity.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Hey Panthers fans, hopefully you remember me from before.

So the Memorial Cup has come and gone...and I'm still in the Jones camp.

I think WAAAAY too much is being placed into the tournament, rather than looking at both Jones and MacKinnon's entire body of work.

So I'm still hoping to hear "Seth Jones" called by the Avalanche on June 30th and "Nathan MacKinnon" called by the Panthers shortly thereafter.
I'd like to hear the same thing Rock. You make good posts over there BTW.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Jones has already proven that he is worthy of being taken 1st overall.

Now MacKinnon has too.

It's a good problem for the Panthers to have.

As I see it the draft has gone from...

Jones
---
MacKinnon
Drouin
---
Barkov

to
O
Jones
MacKinnon
----
Drouin
Barkov
----

Would everyone be happier if Mac had faded during the tournament? Why would you want to draft a player like that?
Its funny, before the tourney everyone here wanted Mac to have an awesome tourney, and now...lol. The Panthers really have driven us all insane.

Old
05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
I'd like to hear the same thing Rock. You make good posts over there BTW.

-ghoste
Thanks Ghoste...

I am trying to find a way to not think the following:

MacKinnon had a PHENOMENAL MC, scoring 13 points in 4 games, it was remarkable...but 9 of those 13 came against Portland and Carruth, and Carruth played like utter garbage against Halifax in both games. Seth wasn't primarily matched up against the MacKinnon line. Yes they happened to be out on the ice together at times, but I even conferred with another poster on the Avs Board, Renegade Stylings, who is a WHL Scout for Future Considerations and a Color Man for Saskatoon Blades games, and he and I both noticed that it was the Rutkowski/Pouliot pairing that was primarily matched against MacKinnon.

Another Avs poster, SEPH, who is also a scout for the WHL for http://elitehockeyscouting.wix.com/elitescouting#

Had stated that he thought Jones had an average, maybe below average tournament, but he had attributed it to maybe him just being burnt out from all the games he had played, when he and I were talking about that, I still pointed out that in 5 games played Jones had 4 points, 2g 2a and was a +6...and that was in some rather high scoring games. I know that +/- isn't the end all/be all, but I thought it was telling. For the record, even though SEPH thought that Jones had an average/below average MC, he is still in his camp, because as he said, it's about the whole body of work.

This isn't a slight against MacKinnon, because all year he's made a case for himself at #1 overall, but I still feel that Jones is the BPA at #1.

And I'm not putting any stock into this "Roy was from the Q, so that must mean that MacKinnon is now the favorite!" line of thinking. Sakic clearly stated that he will have final say on all Hockey Related matters, and when he was questioned about the Draft and potential Coaching Candidates, he had said that the new Coach would "have to be on board" with the decision. Patrick may be a VP of Hockey Ops, but Pracey (our head amateur scout) and his team are not going to have their work and due diligence scrapped just because of Patrick.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
What are the chances of DT getting squeezed out of an additional pick by COL for not taking Mac?

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:22 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
What are the chances of DT getting squeezed out of an additional pick by COL for not taking Mac?
I would honestly say that anything is possible.

With that being said, I don't personally think it's very likely.

Old
05-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Hyooberdough

I will be crying tears of joy whether it's MacK or Jones.

How many times did I watch Panthers games this year and curse the defense? Couuuuuuuuuntless. While I really want MacK, getting Jones would be a coup.

If we do get Jones, I would like to see a trade to bring in a top 6 forward to pair with Hubes.

Hyooberdough is offline   Reply With Quote