HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Memorial Cup Final Battle of our Draft Picks

Old
05-27-2013, 03:36 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Thanks Ghoste...

I am trying to find a way to not think the following:

MacKinnon had a PHENOMENAL MC, scoring 13 points in 4 games, it was remarkable...but 9 of those 13 came against Portland and Carruth, and Carruth played like utter garbage against Halifax in both games. Seth wasn't primarily matched up against the MacKinnon line. Yes they happened to be out on the ice together at times, but I even conferred with another poster on the Avs Board, Renegade Stylings, who is a WHL Scout for Future Considerations and a Color Man for Saskatoon Blades games, and he and I both noticed that it was the Rutkowski/Pouliot pairing that was primarily matched against MacKinnon.

Another Avs poster, SEPH, who is also a scout for the WHL for http://elitehockeyscouting.wix.com/elitescouting#

Had stated that he thought Jones had an average, maybe below average tournament, but he had attributed it to maybe him just being burnt out from all the games he had played, when he and I were talking about that, I still pointed out that in 5 games played Jones had 4 points, 2g 2a and was a +6...and that was in some rather high scoring games. I know that +/- isn't the end all/be all, but I thought it was telling. For the record, even though SEPH thought that Jones had an average/below average MC, he is still in his camp, because as he said, it's about the whole body of work.

This isn't a slight against MacKinnon, because all year he's made a case for himself at #1 overall, but I still feel that Jones is the BPA at #1.

And I'm not putting any stock into this "Roy was from the Q, so that must mean that MacKinnon is now the favorite!" line of thinking. Sakic clearly stated that he will have final say on all Hockey Related matters, and when he was questioned about the Draft and potential Coaching Candidates, he had said that the new Coach would "have to be on board" with the decision. Patrick may be a VP of Hockey Ops, but Pracey (our head amateur scout) and his team are not going to have their work and due diligence scrapped just because of Patrick.

I thought Jones played well and broke up a few plays. Its hard to determine on some of those plays whether he was out of position because he made a personal mistake, or if he was out of position because his partner made a mistake or the forwards did not cover their man. I feel like it was the latter and not the former on a lot of plays.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 03:55 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyooberdough View Post
I will be crying tears of joy whether it's MacK or Jones.

How many times did I watch Panthers games this year and curse the defense? Couuuuuuuuuntless. While I really want MacK, getting Jones would be a coup.

If we do get Jones, I would like to see a trade to bring in a top 6 forward to pair with Hubes.
I'm with you. As stressed out as I am right now because I really want Mackinnon, this is an AMAZING problem to have

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 04:11 PM
batting1k
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
I'm with you. As stressed out as I am right now because I really want Mackinnon, this is an AMAZING problem to have
This. I cannot wait for the draft and am crossing everything I can that we get MacKinnon. While, I wouldn't be mad if we got Jones, I'd be really happy if we get MacKinnon. The Avs saying that Jones wouldn't be the sure-fire first pick and after Macs performance in the Memorial Cup, I'm beginning to get a little worried that we may not get MacKinnon so easily after all.

batting1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:41 PM
nhlfan9191

I really really really hope we don't take a defenseman with this pick, even if it is Jones and MacKinnon is taken. We have Huberdeau so we have the luxury of taking a chance on a winger. Defenseman are to unpredictable and seeing Jones live every game at this tourney, I don't think he's really the bee's knee's that he's made out to be. He's very good at winning battles in the corners but he's very prone to throwing the puck away too.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:16 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

I'm thinking its possible that the Avs might take Drouin first to play with Duchene. That would actually work perfectly for everyone. We get our center in Mac and Tampa gets a much needed defenseman in Jones.

Make it happen, hockey gods.

gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Madhatter73

Random thought I had. Opinions on trading with Colorado for the 1st overall?

Perhaps a guarantee we wont pick Jones and send them Skille (if we sign him) or a 2014 pick?

We can get MacKinnon like we want and Colorado gets (a bit) less pressure on Jones and help at wing?

Thoughts?

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:23 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

The Avs would probably get a better offer from Tampa or someone else.

I see no reason for us to try and trade up to #1 right now. Rumor has it that Roy could be leaning towards Drouin. That might change after the combine. Who knows.

I'm going to have severe stomach pains until June 30th.

gizmo12688 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:17 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
The Avs would probably get a better offer from Tampa or someone else.

I see no reason for us to try and trade up to #1 right now. Rumor has it that Roy could be leaning towards Drouin. That might change after the combine. Who knows.

I'm going to have severe stomach pains until June 30th.
Yep.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 02:30 AM
Killerinstinct

vCash: 50
Deleted

Last edited by Killerinstinct: 05-29-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Nonsense
Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:08 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

If Colorado wants Jones, they're not gonna move the pick as I think we'd take him if he's there over Drouin. I don't see either pick being moved, Colorado doesn't really have a strong stance.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:52 AM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

Saw this yesterday hopefully if they trade it its to a team that wants defense.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 14h
Patrick Roy told Joe Sakic today that the team needs to study the possibility of trading the team first round pick in a month. #RDS

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:58 AM
markrander87

A lot of people are bringing up the Sakic/Jones relationship, but not mentioning the familiarity Roy has with Mackinnon. Roy has coached against Nathan for 2 years and last year in a vital game against Quebec he torched them for 5 goals (as a 16 year old).

For having the #2 pick you guys are in an ideal spot. Whoever Colorado doesn't take between the 2 will land in your lap. Both players are #1's.

I have watched Nathan for 2 years now and he is far and away the best prospect I have seen live in the Q since Sidney Crosby.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Roy can desire what he wants, but Sakic and Pracey will have the most outcome on the Avs' draft. In the end Roy's input is pretty insignificant.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:40 PM
FloriDada

Quote:
"I don't know how much [my performance] will change things. All I know is that Seth is an unbelievable defenseman and Colorado [which picks No. 1] would be lucky to have him. Ultimately, it's up to them and I expect they'll make the right choice."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=18088

Just got super excited reading this

FloriDada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

I don't care how much history there's between Sakic and Jones, this is a bunch of boloney when you also have the option to draft Nathan, which makes me all the more nervous

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 205
While I'm sure it's possible that Colorado takes Mac, center is their biggest strength at the moment between Duchene, ROR, Stastny and Mitchell. Not to mention they have a couple decent prospects there in Hishon and Sgarbossa. They are far more needy on the back end and the wings so Jones or Drouin make more sense from at least that perspective.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

As much as they need defense, I can still see the Avs taking Mac cause of the 'flashy' offense. So I've been trying to read a lot of articles, impressions, etc., on Jones so that it'll 'soften the blow' if we select him (only because I've wanted Mac all this time.)

This one is a good one taken from the Avs board:

http://www.aspechockey.com/article2.php

-ghoste

Last edited by Ghoste: 05-30-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: insert
Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
RockLobster
A magician named Gob

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
As much as they need defense, I can still see the Avs taking Mac cause of the 'flashy' offense. So I've been trying to read a lot of articles, impressions, etc., on Jones so that it'll 'soften the blow' if we select him (only because I've wanted Mac all this time.)

-ghoste
I've been doing the same thing, I've been so wrapped up in Jones that I've forced myself to read up on MacKinnon.

An excellent prospect for sure, but I think that he is on the same level of Jones, and when that happens, I feel that Organizational needs will come into play and the Avs will still take Jones.

Not a slight on MacKinnon, I'd be happy to have him, but our Defense is absolutely abysmal, and Jones, even at his worst, is still a #2 Defenseman, and in the long run, that's not bad, those guys are hard to acquire.

But I don't believe Jones will bust, his Hockey IQ is too damn good, he's constantly wanting to improve.

Unlike MacKinnon and Drouin, this was Jones' first season in the CHL (WHL) and he had played more games than he ever had before this year, 90+, and the Avs board has a poster, named Renegade Stylings, who scouts the WHL for Future Considerations, and he has seen Seth Jones numerous times, still believes that Jones is the BPA at #1. Being tired from a long season can be normal, these are still teenagers, and it's something that can be overcome. Jones was logging a lot of minutes throughout the WHL Playoffs and in the Memorial Cup.

So I still think that we'll see Jones and MacKinnon drafted #'s 1 and 2 on June 30th, and both fanbases will be happy.

No matter where I try to roam, it only goes to show, I'm such a long, long way from home.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I've been doing the same thing, I've been so wrapped up in Jones that I've forced myself to read up on MacKinnon.

An excellent prospect for sure, but I think that he is on the same level of Jones, and when that happens, I feel that Organizational needs will come into play and the Avs will still take Jones.

Not a slight on MacKinnon, I'd be happy to have him, but our Defense is absolutely abysmal, and Jones, even at his worst, is still a #2 Defenseman, and in the long run, that's not bad, those guys are hard to acquire.

But I don't believe Jones will bust, his Hockey IQ is too damn good, he's constantly wanting to improve.

Unlike MacKinnon and Drouin, this was Jones' first season in the CHL (WHL) and he had played more games than he ever had before this year, 90+, and the Avs board has a poster, named Renegade Stylings, who scouts the WHL for Future Considerations, and he has seen Seth Jones numerous times, still believes that Jones is the BPA at #1. Being tired from a long season can be normal, these are still teenagers, and it's something that can be overcome. Jones was logging a lot of minutes throughout the WHL Playoffs and in the Memorial Cup.

So I still think that we'll see Jones and MacKinnon drafted #'s 1 and 2 on June 30th, and both fanbases will be happy.
great post thx.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:30 AM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post

-ghoste
That article makes you feel like Mac is a scrub compared to Jones. But it does make you feel better if we get "stuck" with Jones. The article also makes it seem like Druion was the reason for MacKinnon's success. Hopefully Huberdeau can fill that role because if he played with a finisher he would have run away with the Rookie if the year. Either way I think we should get an elite player.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:14 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
That article makes you feel like Mac is a scrub compared to Jones. But it does make you feel better if we get "stuck" with Jones. The article also makes it seem like Druion was the reason for MacKinnon's success. Hopefully Huberdeau can fill that role because if he played with a finisher he would have run away with the Rookie if the year. Either way I think we should get an elite player.
As a Mooseheads season ticket holder, I can say without a doubt that is not the case.

At times Drouin will make a sensational WOW type play, but overall Nathan is the better prospect without any doubt. His speed alone puts him over the top, but then you factor in his great release, faceoffs, and overall compete level (backchecking, physical play etc..) He really is the best prospect i've seen live since Sid Crosby.

The fact that you guys could realistically land him at #2 is insane. On top of Nathan as a player, you will get 100's if not 1000's of hockey fans each year from Atlantic Canada who already travel to Florida taking in a Panthers games who before landing Nathan would not have bothered.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
As a Mooseheads season ticket holder, I can say without a doubt that is not the case.

At times Drouin will make a sensational WOW type play, but overall Nathan is the better prospect without any doubt. His speed alone puts him over the top, but then you factor in his great release, faceoffs, and overall compete level (backchecking, physical play etc..) He really is the best prospect i've seen live since Sid Crosby.

The fact that you guys could realistically land him at #2 is insane. On top of Nathan as a player, you will get 100's if not 1000's of hockey fans each year from Atlantic Canada who already travel to Florida taking in a Panthers games who before landing Nathan would not have bothered.
That's good to hear, thanks for the info. I'm still hoping for Mac. The suspense is already a killer for sure and yet we still have a month to go.

Quick question, is Mac a feisty player getting into scrums and all that or is he not that kind of kid?

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Dude looks jacked which reminds me of Seguin a few yrs ago...a pic of MacKinnon at the Combine without a shirt on:

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:38 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Dude looks jacked which reminds me of Seguin a few yrs ago...a pic of MacKinnon at the Combine without a shirt on:

there u go

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Not to add more fuel to the fire but I just found this! I hope the Avs still draft Jones but it's looking 50/50 right now. Why does nothing ever come easy for this team?

Quote:
Nathan MacKinnon supplants Seth Jones as the #1 ranked prospect in the industry-leading ISS NHL Draft Guide, a comprehensive analysis and preview of the National Hockey League Draft to be held on June 30, 2013.
http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-...l-draft-guide/

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote