*OFFICIAL* Ottawa 67's 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2014, 01:27 PM
ecraigs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG67 View Post
The acquisition of Bradford has made it near impossible to acquire another "Trudeau" next year. You have to think Bell and Bradford get the first two spots. Gus is probably the 3rd. You would have to sacrifice Gus AND trade for an OA goalie. Having a 19 year old falling into your lap for nothing is not going to happen.

I think the way this team is built for next year it is Herbst or bust.
I think you're right, but I am not entirely convinced that that is a bad thing. Getting a game-ready OA goalie would be difficult and likely expensive. It is time this team starting developing for that position. On that score, their record to date has been miserable, to say the least.

Fielding is the other 94 that could return, but he has really taken a step back this year.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:43 PM
OMG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraigs View Post
I think you're right, but I am not entirely convinced that that is a bad thing. Getting a game-ready OA goalie would be difficult and likely expensive. It is time this team starting developing for that position. On that score, their record to date has been miserable, to say the least.

Fielding is the other 94 that could return, but he has really taken a step back this year.
With our terrible lack of scoring on the wings, I am not too sure we can afford to dump Gus in favour of a short fix in net.

It was easy this year. No one lost a spot to Trudeau. It will be more difficult making those decisions because adding the goalie deletes a skater.

This is the main thing that confused me about adding Bradford without deleting at least one of those 19 year olds like Gus or Fielding at a trade deadline where you have a much better chance of gaining a valuable asset back.

Old
02-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Duke Guy

Is Ben Blacker expected to be with the 67's next season?

Old
02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
ecraigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Guy View Post
Is Ben Blacker expected to be with the 67's next season?
I think that they are still trying to get him to sign. He has his own YouTube channel, so we can check his progress.

Old
02-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Salty9

Would either Lintuniemi or Sloboda have any trade value after the season? It would seem that the club could probably use a high end, scoring forward next season and that the defense should have lots of depth.

Old
02-23-2014, 05:32 AM
OMG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty9 View Post
Would either Lintuniemi or Sloboda have any trade value after the season? It would seem that the club could probably use a high end, scoring forward next season and that the defense should have lots of depth.
I am not sure when the window opens for us to trade an Import. We have to have them for a year before we can trade them.

Hypothetically speaking, if the standings stay similar to right now, we would be 3rd last. That would give us 7th overall pick in the Import Draft. I would imagine that the 67's would use that pick and release one of the two D-Men if they are unable to trade one.

The new rules state we aren't allowed to trade the picks anymore either.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:01 AM
sirius67fan

Quote:
I am not sure when the window opens for us to trade an Import. We have to have them for a year before we can trade them.

Hypothetically speaking, if the standings stay similar to right now, we would be 3rd last. That would give us 7th overall pick in the Import Draft. I would imagine that the 67's would use that pick and release one of the two D-Men if they are unable to trade one.

The new rules state we aren't allowed to trade the picks anymore either.
I'm pretty sure they can be traded at the end of the season. IMO i would trade Lintuniemi as he has one year left versus 2 for Sloboda who I feel has more upside at junior level (maybe not pro due to size).Realistically Ottawa will be better next year but are building for the year after so they should build for that.They could probably get a decent forward or a second for him from a team who is contending next year and looking for an import upgrade. Then use the import pick to get talent/speed on the wing.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:04 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius67fan View Post
I'm pretty sure they can be traded at the end of the season. IMO i would trade Lintuniemi as he has one year left versus 2 for Sloboda who I feel has more upside at junior level (maybe not pro due to size).Realistically Ottawa will be better next year but are building for the year after so they should build for that.They could probably get a decent forward or a second for him from a team who is contending next year and looking for an import upgrade. Then use the import pick to get talent/speed on the wing.

The Petes will gladly take Lintuniemi off yours hands for some picks

Old
02-23-2014, 07:19 AM
sirius67fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
The Petes will gladly take Lintuniemi off yours hands for some picks
Hey if its a fit for both teams,why not?

Old
02-23-2014, 02:49 PM
OMG67

Quote:
Here is the problem. Lintuniemi will not be a 1st round NHL pick. Therefore, he or Sloboda will need to be traded PRIOR to the Import Draft. We can't make a pick if we have two Imports on our roster (unless one was a 1st round NHL pick).

I highly doubt anyone will give a decent value for either of the two Imports meaning it is more likely that Sloboda will be released or we will pass on our Import pick and keep the two we already have.

I wouldn't trade Lintuniemi unless it was at least a 3rd round pick. I doubt we would get that. The new Import rules are really handcuffing the 67's here. On top of that, I doubt anyone would give anything for Sloboda. This isn't a knock on either player, rather it is a knock on the new rules governing the Import process.

Under the previous process, it would be more likely that the 67's would have traded their high Import pick (top 10) and received something of decent value in return and would keep both D-Men. That is no longer an option though.

Old
02-23-2014, 04:07 PM
sirius67fan

Quote:
Here is the problem. Lintuniemi will not be a 1st round NHL pick. Therefore, he or Sloboda will need to be traded PRIOR to the Import Draft. We can't make a pick if we have two Imports on our roster (unless one was a 1st round NHL pick).

I highly doubt anyone will give a decent value for either of the two Imports meaning it is more likely that Sloboda will be released or we will pass on our Import pick and keep the two we already have.

I wouldn't trade Lintuniemi unless it was at least a 3rd round pick. I doubt we would get that. The new Import rules are really handcuffing the 67's here. On top of that, I doubt anyone would give anything for Sloboda. This isn't a knock on either player, rather it is a knock on the new rules governing the Import process.

Under the previous process, it would be more likely that the 67's would have traded their high Import pick (top 10) and received something of decent value in return and would keep both D-Men. That is no longer an option though.
I somewhat disagree in that I think there would be a market for Lintuniemi from contenders next year that need to upgrade defense and/or import position. He's a big kid who will be much better next year and could be a shut down guy. A team with poor prospects in the import draft could pick him up as they can't trade up anymore. I hope I'm right on this one OMG as it would be a shame to simply lose a high import pick we could use to upgrade talent on the wings and I think waving Sloboda would be a mistake as the kid has great hockey sense and very calm back there, just needs to get stronger. Time will tell I guess and it also depends if the 67's brass will put Lintuniemi on the market. I hope they do as I see the 67's as contenders in two years so might as well build for that. Also with Vlakov back there will be a lot of bodies back there.

Old
02-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Salty9

Quote:
I somewhat disagree in that I think there would be a market for Lintuniemi from contenders next year that need to upgrade defense and/or import position. He's a big kid who will be much better next year and could be a shut down guy. A team with poor prospects in the import draft could pick him up as they can't trade up anymore. I hope I'm right on this one OMG as it would be a shame to simply lose a high import pick we could use to upgrade talent on the wings and I think waving Sloboda would be a mistake as the kid has great hockey sense and very calm back there, just needs to get stronger. Time will tell I guess and it also depends if the 67's brass will put Lintuniemi on the market. I hope they do as I see the 67's as contenders in two years so might as well build for that. Also with Vlakov back there will be a lot of bodies back there.
I agree...with Vlajkov, Davis, Middleton, Guy, Davis, Duchesne and Henley there are 7 quality non-import (feels like a CFL discussion) d-men returning. I would think that one of the aforementioned and one of either Sloboda or Lintuniemi will be dealt. They would need to make room for a '98 born defenceman to fill out the 7th or 8th slot.

As for the return, it is very expensive for a team to bring an import over, as far as release fees, scouting, etc. If a small market team like North Bay (losing Praplan) or Peterborough (playing with only one import right now) could save these costs and add an OHL proven player it would seems well within reason to ask for a 2nd round pick.

Out of the earlier group, I would look to move either Davis or Duchesne for a scoring '96 forward or a veteran netminder (assuming they can't sign Blacker).

Byrne certainly has the pieces to play and it will be vitally important for him to play them well this offseason; his job may ride on it.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:26 AM
OMG67

You guys are missing the point. The timing of when this needs to be done is disadvantageous to the 67's. They need to make this trade prior to the Import draft. Teams typically don't fill needs like 4th/5th D-Man (and that is what Lintuniemi would be on a contending team) that early in the player acquisition process.

You are hoping for "in season" return for an "off season" trade. It simply won't happen. Teams know what Ottawa's situation is. If you don't think they will take advantage of that, you are crazy. If they release Sloboda, he would technically go back in the draft to be picked up for free.

This discussion of trading Lintuniemi is mute anyway. Let's look at what the 67's did to prepare for the remainder of this season (non contending team). First, they did not trade their OA with value, RVS. They traded a 19 year old forward with value for a 19 year old forward with the likely prospect of him returning next year as an OA. They kept the other three likely returning OA players for next year meaning they will have to cut one during the season next year. They traded a 2nd round pick for a highly touted, former 1st round pick goalie that is supposed to take the reigns next year as an 18 year old.

This is a team trying to win games. They won't trade Lintuniemi because they are no longer "rebuilding." they are gearing up. Whether you agree with me or not is irrelevant because although I think this management team is out to lunch if they think they are gearing up for success next year, the reality is that everything they have done points to them trying to contend NEXT YEAR.

If they need to thin out the blueline, they will trade other players. Sloboda has virtually no trade value so he is the likely one to be released IF they have a forward they want high in the Import Draft.

Personally, I think they painted themselves into this corner during the season this year so it is their own fault for being stupid.

Old
02-24-2014, 10:03 AM
massey

Got to watch the 67's and more so Konecny on fri nite in London and Sat nite in Sarnia.What a stud on the ice.Good speed and puck movement with a bit of fiestiness in him.He had a huge following of friends,neighbours and relatives from the Bothwell area at both games.Enjoy him while in Ottawa because at that rate he wont be around long.Good luck in the playoff race.

Old
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Duke Guy

How has Davis looked after missing 4 months? Any word on return date for Van Stralen?

Old
02-25-2014, 06:14 AM
sirius67fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Guy View Post
How has Davis looked after missing 4 months? Any word on return date for Van Stralen?
He played ok in a limited role, i think they're bringing him back slowly. Was not as good as early in the year where he played well defensively but he's missed 4 months. Is Sloboda injured? Anybody have an update on AAA, that rib seems strangely slow to heal.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

hey guys, just looking to see how Troy Henley is doing this year? I saw a few short blurbs on him in this thread but didn't want to surf through all the pages.

has he been progressing well through the year? he was one of the most highly sought after American dmen in his age group, his stats aren't setting the world on fire so far, but how has his overall play been and if given more chance next year do you all think he can be a potential top 2-3 round pick??

Thanks

Old
02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
ImaBullsfan

Huge Game tonite! If the 67's win, it will most likely put the final dagger in the Bulls

Old
02-26-2014, 06:40 PM
ImaBullsfan

Bulls are completely out playing the 67's in the first. Ottawa is disorganized at the moment. Bulls seem to want the playoffs more right now.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:14 PM
ecraigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
hey guys, just looking to see how Troy Henley is doing this year? I saw a few short blurbs on him in this thread but didn't want to surf through all the pages.

has he been progressing well through the year? he was one of the most highly sought after American dmen in his age group, his stats aren't setting the world on fire so far, but how has his overall play been and if given more chance next year do you all think he can be a potential top 2-3 round pick??

Thanks
He was hurt early on and there was a logjam of defencemen to start the year. He has played well lately and looks like he will be a real asset to the team. As for the NHL, who knows. I don't see him in that 3rd round group, but it is very early yet.

Old
02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
ImaBullsfan

Have to give full credit to the 67's here, came back late in the third to force ot.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:43 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraigs View Post
He was hurt early on and there was a logjam of defencemen to start the year. He has played well lately and looks like he will be a real asset to the team. As for the NHL, who knows. I don't see him in that 3rd round group, but it is very early yet.
appreciate the response. good to hear that he is being used more as the year has gone on. hope he continues to perform well.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:56 PM
gerard leublond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
appreciate the response. good to hear that he is being used more as the year has gone on. hope he continues to perform well.
AmericanDream, I too admire this kid. Has all the tools for getting this team to a better place in the coming years. He's a pretty tough player as well, considering he's a smaller defenceman. Positioning and playmaking are unreal imo..for a 16 year old. Henley fought Heffernan in the previous Bulls game, my wife loved every second of it. We went to lastnights Bulls game and he was second line D, game before that (Kitchener), he was on starting lineup. 67's won both of those games, not saying because of this kid, but opportunities were given to the rookies and some of the non-showcased players. Just look at Connor Brown, exceptional last 2 games. Dulong and Urbanic- a goal and assist from Dulong. Have to play your young guns at some point and obviously it's paid off..the last 2 wins brought the team up from 9th seed to a current tie for 7th with Steelheads. Henley's going to be one worth watching, excellent stay at home dman!

Old
02-27-2014, 06:10 PM
OMG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard leublond View Post
AmericanDream, I too admire this kid. Has all the tools for getting this team to a better place in the coming years. He's a pretty tough player as well, considering he's a smaller defenceman. Positioning and playmaking are unreal imo..for a 16 year old. Henley fought Heffernan in the previous Bulls game, my wife loved every second of it. We went to lastnights Bulls game and he was second line D, game before that (Kitchener), he was on starting lineup. 67's won both of those games, not saying because of this kid, but opportunities were given to the rookies and some of the non-showcased players. Just look at Connor Brown, exceptional last 2 games. Dulong and Urbanic- a goal and assist from Dulong. Have to play your young guns at some point and obviously it's paid off..the last 2 wins brought the team up from 9th seed to a current tie for 7th with Steelheads. Henley's going to be one worth watching, excellent stay at home dman!
It is interesting you mention Dulong. I like this kid. I liked him last year too. It is unfortunate he hasn't received more ice time. I think he will play a role next year...even if it is 4th line centre. At least he will dress 68 games!

Old
02-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Duke Guy

Dulong's Junior A team has a week left in their season and there's a chance they may not make the playoffs. He would then get to finish the year with the 67's which would be good for his development.

Closed Thread