HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Marc Staal wants mandatory visor use/UPD - NHLPA vote results to NHL 6/4

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2013, 01:59 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Pretty sure that's not true. Hockey Canada requires them up through juniors, but outside of that it's up to leagues and individuals to set their own rules AFAIK. They certainly aren't mandatory in the pro leagues.
You mean outside of every player from 4-18 in the country that's the largest provider of NHL players, there are some leagues that don't require them?

Old
06-01-2013, 02:07 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
You mean outside of every player from 4-18 in the country that's the largest provider of NHL players, there are some leagues that don't require them?
Well seeing as "pretty much every league" excludes adults, professionals, collegians and non-Canadians... it's not pretty much every league, is it?

Old
06-01-2013, 04:00 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 262
Quote:
when i was playing jr.a and jr.b in my playing days neckgaurds were not mandatory. this was 4-6 years ago, i'd be surprised to find out if they implemented mandatory neck guards in the last 4 years.

to add to that i felt a neckgaurd raised my body temperature alot higher, causing me to sweat and feel my fatigue, when cool air went down my neck it was a relief almost as good as getting a swish of water at the bench.

Last edited by skip2mybordeleau: 06-01-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old
06-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
If i played in the NHL this would be my uniform

Old
06-01-2013, 11:22 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
when i was playing jr.a and jr.b in my playing days neckgaurds were not mandatory. this was 4-6 years ago, i'd be surprised to find out if they implemented mandatory neck guards in the last 4 years.

to add to that i felt a neckgaurd raised my body temperature alot higher, causing me to sweat and feel my fatigue, when cool air went down my neck it was a relief almost as good as getting a swish of water at the bench.
I remember pouring water on myself to cool myself down. When the water went down my neck it was a relief.

http://www.thewhig.com/2010/01/07/ne...ockey-referees

Quote:
Neck guards will become mandatory for all Ontario junior hockey officials starting next month, the Ontario Hockey Association ruled last night.

Neck guards have been mandatory for players since the start of the 2008-2009 season
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/morr...rs_will_b.html

Quote:
In the case of the Ontario Hockey League, they have declared all players must wear neck protection as of March 10, a dictum already in place in Quebec junior hockey.

Old
06-01-2013, 11:42 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 262
Quote:
I remember pouring water on myself to cool myself down. When the water went down my neck it was a relief.

http://www.thewhig.com/2010/01/07/ne...ockey-referees

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/morr...rs_will_b.html
so the Q and O uses neck guards? man that's a contrast when i was hitting juniors taking off the neckguard was one of the most comforting things to do, that and taking the cage off and putting on the visor , maybe it's a mental thing but i felt comfortably with body temperature levels, along with easier breathing. i hated a wet neckguard around my neck felt like a dog collar.

having quitting hockey it's a non issue for me now, but if i showed up to a beer league game and they said i would have to put on a neck guard i would be pissed, that would never happen though beer league anything goes really, if the same thing happened to nhl players i would imagine they would have a negative reaction to it, but they're getting paid for it they'd probably suck it up.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:30 AM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
so the Q and O uses neck guards? man that's a contrast when i was hitting juniors taking off the neckguard was one of the most comforting things to do, that and taking the cage off and putting on the visor , maybe it's a mental thing but i felt comfortably with body temperature levels, along with easier breathing. i hated a wet neckguard around my neck felt like a dog collar.

having quitting hockey it's a non issue for me now, but if i showed up to a beer league game and they said i would have to put on a neck guard i would be pissed, that would never happen though beer league anything goes really, if the same thing happened to nhl players i would imagine they would have a negative reaction to it, but they're getting paid for it they'd probably suck it up.
At the very least, I recommend neck guards for adults and think they should be mandatory for kids. I was caught in the throat with a stick from a guy clearing a puck with his backhand. Enough force to lift me up - the guy even gasped, I'm sure he thought he'd crushed my adam's apple. But my neck guard spread the force of the hit and I hardly felt it. I can thank a guy in a sporting goods store who recommended a neck guard because he'd had his neck stepped on by a skate and thought his neck guard saved his life.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

I don't see why it should be mandatory. Players have the choice to wear one or not. You have to know he risks of not wearing one. Just my .02

Old
06-02-2013, 08:00 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Well seeing as "pretty much every league" excludes adults, professionals, collegians and non-Canadians... it's not pretty much every league, is it?
Nah, just the numerous lower and developmental leagues that supply those leagues with talent. I'm sure the world is top heavy in leagues though: The number of professionals, and collegians surely outnumbers that which supplies it. That only makes sense, right?

Old
06-04-2013, 05:31 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1439729

Continue discussion at above.

Closed Thread