HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: New Star Wars

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2005, 08:09 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
I guess I am in the minority and did not like the movie one bit (and I am a big Star Wars fan). Personally, I liked Clones better.

I thought it was entirely too long at 2 hours and 20 minutes. I, for one, am tired of the Matrix-like action scenes with completely unrealistic fighting (guys being able to jump 30 feet in the air, flips galore, etc, etc). The light Sabre scenes are much too choreographed and are more of a light show than a fight scene. (Personally, I enjoyed the light Sabre scenes in the original 3 because they are much more realistic.)

BTW, I can't quite figure out why Amidala was keeping the identity of the father of the baby(ies) secret. She and Anakin were living together. It isn't too hard to put 2 and 2 together and figure that Anakin was the father unless Amidala is an intergallactic ****.

What I did find cool was the seeing older versions of tie-fighters, X-wings, imperial cruisers, etc.

Also, isn't Episode 4 supposed to be 18-20 years later? At the end of Sith, the Death Star was starting to be constructed. Does it take 18 years to build? It certainly didn't take 18 years between New Hope and Jedi (or, for you Clerks buffs, is that because they used a lot of independent contractors?).

Did anyone here see this on an IMAX screen?

Last edited by pelts35.com: 05-25-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Old
05-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Shadowtron

"I guess I am in the minority and did not like the movie one bit. Personally, I liked Clones better."

Wow! You sure the heck are, heheheh.

"I, for one, am tired of the Matrix-like action scenes with completely unrealistic fighting (guys being able to jump 30 feet in the air, flips galore, etc, etc)."

To the defense of the two films...at least there was a plausible explanation. The Matrix characters were in a computer sim, and the Jedi were utilizing The Force. However, a "realistic" fight scene would have been boring. Remember, the purpose of SW is to entertain and offer us an escape from reality. A realistic sword duel would have consisted of two men circling each other, looking for an opening. One opponent would attack, the other would parry, and we'd be back to circling. There'd be no sword clanging, because that tends to wreak havoc on the weapon's edge.

"BTW, I can't quite figure out why Amidala was keeping the identity of the father of the baby(ies) secret. She and Anakin were living together. It isn't too hard to put 2 and 2 together and figure that Anakin was the father unless Amidala is an intergallactic ****."

Nobody knows about Anakin and Padme. The entire relationship is a secret. If you recall she pleads with Anakin to go to Naboo and live out their lives without all the lies.

"Also, isn't Episode 4 supposed to be 18-20 years later? At the end of Sith, the Death Star was starting to be constructed. Does it take 18 years to build? It certainly didn't take 18 years between New Hope and Jedi."

If memory serves me, the books answer that question. I believe multiple Death Stars were being worked on during the Emperor's reign.

Old
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
bsenskmolson

Great movie. The best one of the new Star Wars....

Old
05-25-2005, 09:28 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
"I guess I am in the minority and did not like the movie one bit. Personally, I liked Clones better."

Wow! You sure the heck are, heheheh.

"I, for one, am tired of the Matrix-like action scenes with completely unrealistic fighting (guys being able to jump 30 feet in the air, flips galore, etc, etc)."

To the defense of the two films...at least there was a plausible explanation. The Matrix characters were in a computer sim, and the Jedi were utilizing The Force. However, a "realistic" fight scene would have been boring. Remember, the purpose of SW is to entertain and offer us an escape from reality. A realistic sword duel would have consisted of two men circling each other, looking for an opening. One opponent would attack, the other would parry, and we'd be back to circling. There'd be no sword clanging, because that tends to wreak havoc on the weapon's edge.

"BTW, I can't quite figure out why Amidala was keeping the identity of the father of the baby(ies) secret. She and Anakin were living together. It isn't too hard to put 2 and 2 together and figure that Anakin was the father unless Amidala is an intergallactic ****."

Nobody knows about Anakin and Padme. The entire relationship is a secret. If you recall she pleads with Anakin to go to Naboo and live out their lives without all the lies.

"Also, isn't Episode 4 supposed to be 18-20 years later? At the end of Sith, the Death Star was starting to be constructed. Does it take 18 years to build? It certainly didn't take 18 years between New Hope and Jedi."

If memory serves me, the books answer that question. I believe multiple Death Stars were being worked on during the Emperor's reign.
Personally, I didn't find the lightSabre scenes in 4, 5 and 6 to be boring. Yes, the technology has changed, but I still am tired of these unrealistic fight scenes that seem to be in every movie these days. To me, it seemed more like a lightshow than a fight scene. Lots of fluff and little substance.

Nobody knows about Anakin and Padme? It seemed like Obi-wan knew that they were living together.

I haven't read the books, so I don't know if that is true or not. Perhaps this was the "prototype" death star that led to the final version in New Hope.

Old
05-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight
hmm.....if you liked the movie Titanic I swear i won't call you gay(not that there's anything wrong with that)
lol.. nope i've actually never seen the whole thing, i just looked at the all time box office records and it is #1 by quite a bit, it will interesting to see what eventually beats it.

RANK DOMESTIC OVERSEAS WORLD "" TITLES (1900-2005)

0001 $ 600.8 $ 1234.6 $ 1835.4 Titanic
0002 $ 377.0 $ 752.2 $ 1129.2 Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
0003 $ 317.6 $ 658.2 $ 975.8 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
0004 $ 431.1 $ 494.4 $ 925.5 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
0005 $ 341.7 $ 583.0 $ 924.7 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
0006 $ 357.1 $ 563.0 $ 920.1 Jurassic Park (1993)
0007 $ 436.5 $ 444.4 $ 880.9 Shrek 2 (2004)
0008 $ 313.8 $ 556.0 $ 869.8 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
0009 $ 262.0 $ 604.4 $ 866.4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
0010 $ 339.7 $ 525.3 $ 865.0 Finding Nemo

Old
05-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Personally, I didn't find the lightSabre scenes in 4, 5 and 6 to be boring. Yes, the technology has changed, but I still am tired of these unrealistic fight scenes that seem to be in every movie these days. To me, it seemed more like a lightshow than a fight scene. Lots of fluff and little substance.

Nobody knows about Anakin and Padme? It seemed like Obi-wan knew that they were living together.

I haven't read the books, so I don't know if that is true or not. Perhaps this was the "prototype" death star that led to the final version in New Hope.

He has his suspicions about their relationship, which he confirms through her almost irrational reaction to the news that Anakin has gone over to the Dark Side. Furthermore, I don't think they were living together. More than likely, Anakin lived in relative poverty (as is the Jedi way) at the Jedi Temple and "visited" Padme when he was on Coruscant (which was rare considering the chaotic state of the Republic). In addition, Anakin's closeness to Padme isn't unknown. If you remember in "Attack of the Clones", Anakin was talking to Obi-Wan about his feelings towards Padme after having been away from her for nearly 10 years. I think that closeness is what leads Obi-Wan to Padme when he goes searching for Anakin. The best way to find a person is to start questioning the people to whom he's closest. Obviously, Obi-Wan doesn't know where he is...so the next step would be to ask Padme.

Another point is that Obi-Wan finding out that Padme is carrying Anakin's child isn't too shocking. Jedi are NOT required to be celibate, but they are forbidden to develop emotional attachments.

Closed Thread