HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Kelly Buchbuger Appreciation Thread!!!

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2005, 03:01 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

vCash: 500
The Kelly Buchbuger Appreciation Thread!!!

Alright, everyone's praise for one of the most inspiring captains of all-time here.

I love Kelly's game...game-in, game-out here's a guy who comes to play...He's a guy who's not flashy but would without hesitation stand up to a 6'4 230lb guy to protect a teammate or pump up the team in general...everything you look for from a true leader (other than the scoring ability), you find in buchy...He does whatever is needed (nonscoring-wise) to help the team win

how can you not respect him?

Old
05-20-2005, 03:13 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Love Bucky! Gives it all night in and night out. Like you said, he'll get pounded to send a message, defend a teammate, or even just to get the guy off the ice for 5 minutes. He's the definition of a warrior.

05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
#16 in your program, but NUMBER ONE IN YOUR HEARTS.

A shoo in for Hall of Fame induction in 2007.

Old
05-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Oilers1*

My fave Bucky moment:

The Oilers are in Chicago and Probert is taking liberties with some of our better players. Bucky jumps in. . .and gets throughly pounded.

5 minutes in the box and they hit the ice again. Kelly slashes Probert, they drop the gloves, and Kelly gets thrashed even worse than the first time.

The ony guy worthy enough and affordable enough to retire a career Oiler and we give him away in the expansion drive.

Old
05-20-2005, 01:08 PM
mackdogs*

Biggest heart ever is a good description of Bucky. Although worst hands ever isn't far off too . This guy made Todd Marchant look like Pavel Bure.

I met Bucky once in the Thunderdome in Edmonton (old bar), one of the goofiest looking guys you'd ever meet but what a great guy. Super nice, if you didn't know who he was you'd never know he played in the NHL.

One of my all time favourites... a real pity he didn't finish his career in Edmonton. Hall of fame? Not a snowball's chance but perhaps the Oilers will honor him in some special way. I miss seeing him get pounded/block an Al Mac slapper. Kudos to you Bucky!!

Old
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Cropduster

reminds me of a slightly more talented Dennis Bonvie. Loved Buchberger when he was with the Kings

Old
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Everything he lacked in talent he made up for 10 fold in guts and leadership.

Huge Bucky fan. The guy fought how many times last year...and got the **** beaten out of him almost every single time. His role on the team wasn't to be a goon. He wasn't paid to fight. He did so anyways to stick up for his teammates because that ***** McKenna wouldn't.

An all time favorite of mine.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
05-20-2005, 01:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Everything he lacked in talent he made up for 10 fold in guts and leadership.

Huge Bucky fan. The guy fought how many times last year...and got the **** beaten out of him almost every single time. His role on the team wasn't to be a goon. He wasn't paid to fight. He did so anyways to stick up for his teammates because that ***** McKenna wouldn't.

An all time favorite of mine.
He took one of the all-time worst beatings I've ever seen as Pen last yera. Brashear must have hit him with about 20 conscutive shots to the head before Buchberger finally crumbled.

Old
05-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Wolfpack

Gotta join the Buchberger love-in...

He was a plugger among pluggers but he DID score 20 goals one year. Also, a couple clutch playoff goals over the years too. He was actually always an above-average skater, and used his skating ability to become a pretty decent penalty killer. But he will always be remembered for his honest, blue-collar style and willingness to stick up for his teammates.

Check out this forward line from the 85-86 Moose Jaw Warriors...

Player Name GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theoren Fleury................................ 72 43 65 108 124
Mike Keane.................................... 67 34 49 83 162
Kelly Buchberger.............................. 72 14 22 36 206

How would you like to play against those 3? And all became captains in the NHL.

Old
05-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Master Lok

LOL - everyone remembers bucky for his guts in standing up to the big guys.

I would classify him as a decent middleweight brawler. In his prime, he had talent, excellent speed and guts. He was a superb penalty killer, hounded and pressured the opposition, loved hitting guys, and always went down to block the big windup shots from Al MacInnis (ouch!). And as someone mentioned, he did score 20 in one year, and has some big overtime goals too.

Gutsy, gutsy player.

Old
05-20-2005, 02:06 PM
mackdogs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
LOL - everyone remembers bucky for his guts in standing up to the big guys.

I would classify him as a decent middleweight brawler. In his prime, he had talent, excellent speed and guts. He was a superb penalty killer, hounded and pressured the opposition, loved hitting guys, and always went down to block the big windup shots from Al MacInnis (ouch!). And as someone mentioned, he did score 20 in one year, and has some big overtime goals too.

Gutsy, gutsy player.
You just reminded me about his overtime winner against Dallas in the playoffs. I believe the Oil were down 3-0 in the 3rd with 10 minutes to go? Something like that. That's definitely my favorite Bucky goal.

Old
05-20-2005, 02:30 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
Alright, everyone's praise for one of the most inspiring captains of all-time here.

I love Kelly's game...game-in, game-out here's a guy who comes to play...He's a guy who's not flashy but would without hesitation stand up to a 6'4 230lb guy to protect a teammate or pump up the team in general...everything you look for from a true leader (other than the scoring ability), you find in buchy...He does whatever is needed (nonscoring-wise) to help the team win

how can you not respect him?
Great post and I have to agree. He is an "Old School" player that could play for any team because as you say he does a lot of the little things that will help you win.

Old
05-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Great post and I have to agree. He is an "Old School" player that could play for any team because as you say he does a lot of the little things that will help you win.
Buchberger rules! By the way, nice avatar.

Old
05-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I don't remember the early years of his career but the last few have been quite nice to see and remember. He's a true leader and the defenition of what a captain should be. I think that he could make a great coach down the road.

Old
05-20-2005, 11:11 PM
clefty
What?

Kelly Buchberger has no business fighting on the Pens during his last year. He wasn't a heavyweight at any time during his career, let alone as a 38/39 year old, but night after night he took on the league's top heavyweights, knowing very well that he would be in for a pounding- and he always stood up to the other guy, never backed off, never turtled, he'd stand tall and hang in there the best he could. He did it because there was no one else around who could, so he figured it may as well be him. He's living proof of the phrase "take one for the team".

Without question, from listening to the players and Eddie Olcyzk throughout the year, he was the most respected player in the locker room, and essentially the team captain. Its really no wonder he got the Penguins players' player award at the end of the season.

Old
05-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

the phrase "he doesnt know when to quit" fits perfectly here...if your team is down 4-0, and everyone is ready to pack it in and take the loss, you can always expect buchy to drop the gloves another 2-3 times before the game ends to pump up a lifeless team...

yeah, everyone talks about his infamous poundings, but what about all the fights that he wins when he doesnt take on heavyweights?

by the way, i think kelly is one of the coolest "glove droppers" in that when he drops them, he slings them across the ice

Old
05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Fighter
Legend

Another big fan of Buchy here!
I can't think of any other player who has the heart of Kelly, absolutely no one.

He got ragdolled so many times and still he continue to do anything he could to help/pump up his team.

Definitely a true leader and a great player!

Old
05-21-2005, 03:57 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I remember last year in a Canucks game, after Hedberg went down, Buchburger had a wide open net, and shot it wide.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Loved him as a King, no need to repeat what's already been said. The dude is old time hockey.

Old
05-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
I remember last year in a Canucks game, after Hedberg went down, Buchburger had a wide open net, and shot it wide.
Yeah, the poor guy couldn't seem to get a break last year, in terms of scoring. I was at the game against Dallas where he finally picked up an assist, and he got a standing ovation, it was a very nice thing to see.

Without Bucky, there's a good chance the Pens would've completely collapsed during that huge losing streak, but instead they stuck together and managed a respectable run at the end of the year.

Old
05-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Everest

I remeber Buchy' as a gritty Oiler who was at one time quite a powerful skater. I saw alot of Mark Messier in Buchberger's style and intensity.

Old
05-22-2005, 01:02 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Didn't he hit the crossbar? Nevertheless, that was a huge miss. That game ended up going into overtime and the Pens lost.

Old
05-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Loved him as a King, no need to repeat what's already been said. The dude is old time hockey.

Old
05-22-2005, 02:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Does anyone else find it ironic that his name is mispelled in the title of his "appreciation" thread?

Closed Thread