HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Around Hockey XII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 10:32 PM
major major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
Chicago will beat them in 6. Maybe 5.
I'm not so sure. I feel like it could go either way. The Bruins have more experience, and arguably better depth.

If the Bruins win the cup, it would be absolutely heartbreaking for Toronto.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I'm not so sure. I feel like it could go either way. The Bruins have more experience, and arguably better depth.

If the Bruins win the cup, it would be absolutely heartbreaking for Toronto.
Better depth?? Man, I don't know. I just don't know about that.

Maybe their forwards have better depth. Maybe

But certainly not on the blueline. At least I don't think so.

Old
06-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The Pens need a few more super stars and all will be fine, Q, Rick Nash....

Old
06-07-2013, 11:00 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
Better depth?? Man, I don't know. I just don't know about that.

Maybe their forwards have better depth. Maybe

But certainly not on the blueline. At least I don't think so.
Yes, on forward, you're right. The bluelines are closer. What I was thinking of is that the Bruins have:

1) The best 4th line in the league. (Paille, Campbell, Thornton)

2) Fewer "holes". Right now Kelly and Peverley are slumping, but that's okay because they're in the bottom six. Dave Bolland has been off his game all year, and thats a big problem for the Hawks because he's supposed to be their #2C.

And the Hawks have a rotation of Bickell and Saad they give time on the top-6 wings, and hope the kids step up, while Boston has to have either Seguin or Jagr on the third line at any point. That's better depth to me.

I am impressed with Shaw, Bickell, and Saad, but those kids still have a lot to prove as two-way players.

Old
06-07-2013, 11:23 PM
major major

Possibly another amazing stat from the Bruins sweep:

Is this the first time ever that either Crosby or Malkin has been blanked for four straight games? Has there been even one time in either player's career- regular season, playoff, rookie season, etc.. - that they've been shut down like this?

Letang, Iginla, and Neal all completely blanked. That's one hell of a team-defence the Bruins have.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:06 AM
major major

From Duthie on TSN:

Since being down by 3 to the Leafs, the Bruins are 9-1, outscoring the opposition 32 to 12.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Yes, on forward, you're right. The bluelines are closer. What I was thinking of is that the Bruins have:

1) The best 4th line in the league. (Paille, Campbell, Thornton)

2) Fewer "holes". Right now Kelly and Peverley are slumping, but that's okay because they're in the bottom six. Dave Bolland has been off his game all year, and thats a big problem for the Hawks because he's supposed to be their #2C.

And the Hawks have a rotation of Bickell and Saad they give time on the top-6 wings, and hope the kids step up, while Boston has to have either Seguin or Jagr on the third line at any point. That's better depth to me.

I am impressed with Shaw, Bickell, and Saad, but those kids still have a lot to prove as two-way players.
While under normal circumstances I would agree with your thoughts about the Boston forwards, you're comparing a goal-less Jagr (with 7 assists in 16 games) and Tyler Seguin (1 goal, 4 points, -1 rating) with Shaw (4g, 3a, +6), and Bickell (8, 3, +5) ... not so much Saad, but the point is still relevant.

Defensively, for me, it's not even close. Even when the Bruins are healthy - which they aren't - the Hawks have Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjalmarsson, Roszival, and Nick Leddy. They can all skate, they can all chip in offensively, and they can all play defense. In my opinion, Chicago has the best all-around defense in the league.

The Blackhawks have been the best team in the league all year. They have faced better competition than the Bruins (except in this round), and have fared better overall. I'll take the Hawks in 6 ... that is with the assumption that they finish off the Kings.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:22 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
While under normal circumstances I would agree with your thoughts about the Boston forwards, you're comparing a goal-less Jagr (with 7 assists in 16 games) and Tyler Seguin (1 goal, 4 points, -1 rating) with Shaw (4g, 3a, +6), and Bickell (8, 3, +5) ... not so much Saad, but the point is still relevant.

Defensively, for me, it's not even close. Even when the Bruins are healthy - which they aren't - the Hawks have Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjalmarsson, Roszival, and Nick Leddy. They can all skate, they can all chip in offensively, and they can all play defense. In my opinion, Chicago has the best all-around defense in the league.

The Blackhawks have been the best team in the league all year. They have faced better competition than the Bruins (except in this round), and have fared better overall. I'll take the Hawks in 6 ... that is with the assumption that they finish off the Kings.
I'm not a bettor, but my expectations center around Bruins in 6. Rask is all-world right now.

I still think the ability of the defences are close. Chara is the best defender of either team and plays half the game. I've also noticed lots of up-and-down play from Seabrook and Oduya. When they're all on their games you're probably right that the Hawks D is best, but I still think its close.

Last edited by major major: 06-08-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old
06-08-2013, 07:29 AM
EspenK

I think it will be a hell of a series if the Hawks finish off the Kings. It will come down to breaks imo. On paper its the Hawks by a mile but I think Pittsburgh won on paper too.

I'll be rooting for the Bruins.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
And on the stick of Adam Mcquaid, a former junior member of Doug Maclean's PEI mafia.
How long until Dougie starts crowing about that? "I DRAFTED ADAM MCQUAID!!!!"

Left unsaid, of course, is the followup of "...and then I didn't sign him because I didn't think he could play because he was no Duvie Westcott!"

Old
06-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Crosby: 0 points, -2
Malkin: 0 points, -5
Iginla: 0 points, -4
Letang: 0 points, -5
Rick Nash against Boston
1 G, 2 A (3 points), +1

Apparently we live in Bizarro World.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:46 AM
davidbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Crosby: 0 points, -2
Malkin: 0 points, -5
Iginla: 0 points, -4
Letang: 0 points, -5
they're obviously injured

Old
06-08-2013, 12:14 PM
davidbklyn

I like the Bruins in the final. Held Penguins to 2 goals!

Old
06-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
I'm not a bettor, but my expectations center around Bruins in 6. Rask is all-world right now.

I still think the ability of the defences are close. Chara is the best defender of either team and plays half the game. I've also noticed lots of up-and-down play from Seabrook and Oduya. When they're all on their games you're probably right that the Hawks D is best, but I still think its close.
I think Chara is somewhat overrated. If I had a 9 foot wing span, I would probably be an effective defender also ... play him with speed and put the puck in his feet, and you can beat him. And after him, they're playing guys like Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug ... as impressive as they have been, it will be hard for them to keep that up. Chicago will also match them physically, as they have plenty of bangers throughout the lineup. One guy that gets often overlooked too is Marian Hossa ... he's been all world in the playoffs this year, and seems to be driven to win it all again. If Torres hadn't KO'd him last year, I think the Hawks would have gone much further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
I like the Bruins in the final. Held Penguins to 2 goals!
Impressive, can't deny it ... but, I think the Penguins were playing very hurt. Malkin was having a hard time getting around, and Crosby seemed off also. Without those guys in top form, the Penguins were a fairly pedestrian team.

Old
06-08-2013, 01:26 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I think Chara is somewhat overrated. If I had a 9 foot wing span, I would probably be an effective defender also ... play him with speed and put the puck in his feet, and you can beat him. And after him, they're playing guys like Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug ... as impressive as they have been, it will be hard for them to keep that up. Chicago will also match them physically, as they have plenty of bangers throughout the lineup. One guy that gets often overlooked too is Marian Hossa ... he's been all world in the playoffs this year, and seems to be driven to win it all again. If Torres hadn't KO'd him last year, I think the Hawks would have gone much further.
Bartkowski hasn't been in the lineup when they are all healthy, and likely won't be.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:08 PM
major major

Quote:
I think Chara is somewhat overrated. If I had a 9 foot wing span, I would probably be an effective defender also ... play him with speed and put the puck in his feet, and you can beat him.
Put the puck in his feet and you won't get it out. He'll deck you and get the puck later, the way defencemen are supposed to. And for every time I've seen Chara burned I've seen Keith burned 5-10 times. Fast players can outskate Chara in open ice but in his own zone he has more than enough mobility.

Quote:
Impressive, can't deny it ... but, I think the Penguins were playing very hurt. Malkin was having a hard time getting around, and Crosby seemed off also. Without those guys in top form, the Penguins were a fairly pedestrian team.
And I suppose Neal, Iginla and Letang were also all very hurt? I thought Malkin and Crosby were making nice plays and skating well, they just couldn't get to the scoring areas without getting rocked.

Old
06-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Put the puck in his feet and you won't get it out. He'll deck you and get the puck later, the way defencemen are supposed to. And for every time I've seen Chara burned I've seen Keith burned 5-10 times. Fast players can outskate Chara in open ice but in his own zone he has more than enough mobility.

And I suppose Neal, Iginla and Letang were also all very hurt? I thought Malkin and Crosby were making nice plays and skating well, they just couldn't get to the scoring areas without getting rocked.
Iginla's long in the teeth and doesn't have much time left. James Neal was a marginal first line player when he played for Dallas. Good, but easy to take off his game. Letang is an excellent puck moving defenseman, but even he can be shut down. We'll see when the series comes along.

Old
06-08-2013, 04:09 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Oilers fire HC Ralph Krueger

Old
06-08-2013, 04:23 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Oilers fire HC Ralph Krueger
Dreger is speculating that Eakins will replace him.

Old
06-08-2013, 09:27 PM
FANonymous

How is a cross check to the face that draws blood only a 2 minute penalty?

Old
06-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Game winning, series winning, double-overtime hat-trick goal. Damn Kane. Damn.

Old
06-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks View Post
Game winning, series winning, double-overtime hat-trick goal. Damn Kane. Damn.
Was sure Jeff Carter was going to score for LA ... so glad that didn't happen.

Old
06-09-2013, 12:08 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Boston in 6. Going to be a great series

Old
06-09-2013, 07:12 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
How is a cross check to the face that draws blood only a 2 minute penalty?

Hawks are lucky it was even called. Not that it bothered me but what about the trip on Williams (? I think) right before Kane's second.

By and large the refs have sucked during the playoffs imo. I know the playoffs bring out the toughness in the toughest but geez, its like tripping was almost non-existent, hooking was semi-missing and interference,well the pass wasn't catchable anyway.

Old
06-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Hawks are lucky it was even called. Not that it bothered me but what about the trip on Williams (? I think) right before Kane's second.
That wasn't a trip ... he went for the puck with his stick; Williams tried to sell it, but by the time he stumbled and went down, Bickell's stick was three feet away. Right call by the officials.

Closed Thread