HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Part II: All Aboard the Nichushkin Train

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2013, 02:27 PM
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

vCash: 500
Maybe JR's clique comments were subtly talking about Tampa and them drafting a million Russians

Namestnikov
Vasilevskiy
Kucherov
Gusev
Nesterov

and potentially Nich

[/tinfoil]

Old
06-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Jussijuice

It just doesn't add up.

If the Canes are talking to Edmonton about trading down AND JR is not interested in Nichushkin, then the only likely accepted NHL ready prospect left at 7 will be Ristolainen. Calgary and Edmonton will both go one of Monahan/Lindholm.

So either JR is bluffing and would accept taking Nichushkin at 7 in a trade-down, or we will take Ristolainen and play him in he NHL next year.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Knowing Edmonton and Calgary both want centers. To talk up Lindholm and Monahan may make one of them over pay to jump for the one they want.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Knowing Edmonton and Calgary both want centers. To talk up Lindholm and Monahan may make one of them over pay to jump for the one they want.
Agreed

I think the situations are either:

1) JR starts a bidding war and ends up with a great deal to move down 1-2 spots, adding a top-4 or potential top-4 D and maybe another 2nd. Then takes Nichushkin, willing to take a gamble after improving the team's blue-line.

2) JR takes Monahan or Lindholm at 5 if no deals are worth it.

3) Barkov/Drouin fall and all deals go out the window. Canes are extremely happy to take the faller.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:56 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
I'd add Nichushkin to the #2 option there in all honesty. Whichever guy is our guy is our pick.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

just pondering out loud with some friends. If we were to make a trade to move down to 7th and pick up the 37th pick to, wonder if we might package it with the 35th and a prospect or something to move back into the first round. Mid teens area and take a guy like Horvat, who potentially could start at 3C next year, or one of the other defensemen.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:16 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
just pondering out loud with some friends. If we were to make a trade to move down to 7th and pick up the 37th pick to, wonder if we might package it with the 35th and a prospect or something to move back into the first round. Mid teens area and take a guy like Horvat, who potentially could start at 3C next year, or one of the other defensemen.
No real need to when it's likely we could end up with a guy at #35 that could do the same thing in de la Rose and draft our heir apparent in net at #37 in one of Fucale, Comrie, or Jarry.

I still think we're looking D at #35 though.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Jussijuice

I'd rather trade up for Zadorov or Ristolainen, otherwise very happy with two picks at the start of the 2nd

Old
06-16-2013, 03:39 PM
MD
#woofwoof

I still think Lindholm is our guy. I don't see how JR can mess this up though...as long as we get one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nich we're getting a good player.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
All this talk, all the fun ideas tossed around, and JR will sit at the table and take whomever is at the top of our list at No. 5. He will continue his complete and total failure to use the draft as a key means of improving his team, whether it be by stockpiling picks or otherwise leveraging a high pick to acquire better assets. And we'll be talking about the next draft pool by early January (again).er.
So your angle is to criticize for not moving out of the top 5 in a supposedly loaded draft year. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were being negative for the sake of negativity.

Oh wait, I do know better.

Old
06-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
I still think Lindholm is our guy. I don't see how JR can mess this up though...as long as we get one of Lindholm/Monahan/Nich we're getting a good player.
Lindholm has 1 more year in Sweden before he is coming over here. Comments by JR said he wanted an immediate impact player for next season, which leads me to believe its not him.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ndholm-sweden/

Watch 2:30 minutes in the video at the bottom, he plans on staying in Europe next year

Old
06-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

The idea of a Nichushkin//J. Staal//Ruutu 2nd line is making me literally salivate.

We could build a 3rd line of something like Skinner//Rask//Dwyer

Maybe best top 9 in the league

Old
06-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
The idea of a Nichushkin//J. Staal//Ruutu 2nd line is making me literally salivate.

We could build a 3rd line of something like Skinner//Rask//Dwyer

Maybe best top 9 in the league
I feel like the top 6 would be very highly ranked, but the third line is only a guess. Who knows how Rask would translate, and any line with Dwyer cannot be considered above average unless it was a checking line...and with Skinner on the line, that'd be impossible.

Old
06-16-2013, 04:58 PM
bleedgreen

These comments only hint at what we already know. Jr is not a guy likely to take nichushkin. Lindholm seems like a stretch to me. Of course he may take a chance but these aren't jr picks generally speaking. Monahan, maybe barkov. Lindholm doesn't look strong enough to play next year any way, and that's a priority. I still think ristolainen is a possibility.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
These comments only hint at what we already know. Jr is not a guy likely to take nichushkin. Lindholm seems like a stretch to me. Of course he may take a chance but these aren't jr picks generally speaking. Monahan, maybe barkov. Lindholm doesn't look strong enough to play next year any way, and that's a priority. I still think ristolainen is a possibility.
Lindholm performed better than Monahan at the combine in the strength tests. He is very strong.

Old
06-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

I would've thought we'd take Lindholm, but he said he's playing one more year in Sweden and JR says we want someone to play next year. Monahan seems like a stretch at 5. All that leaves really is Nichushkin, unless Tampa takes him, in which case we get Drouin or Barkov.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:15 PM
LVwrangler

Monohan is not in anyones top 5 mock drafts. When we anncounced who we would work out he wasnt even on the list. If we pass up on Nischuskin for a Monohan or Lindholm at 5 we literally took a step back. All we have been crying for is a big body forward. Now we have the chance to get one and maybe he be the next malkin. Could you imagine a team with a semin on the top line then a malkin on the second. We seriosuly can not reach at the 5th pick.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:20 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVwrangler View Post
Monohan is not in anyones top 5 mock drafts. When we anncounced who we would work out he wasnt even on the list. If we pass up on Nischuskin for a Monohan or Lindholm at 5 we literally took a step back. All we have been crying for is a big body forward. Now we have the chance to get one and maybe he be the next malkin. Could you imagine a team with a semin on the top line then a malkin on the second. We seriosuly can not reach at the 5th pick.
Exactly. The only way I don't want us taking Nichushkin is if Tampa takes him first. In wqhich case I'd "settle" for Barkov or Drouin.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Jussijuice

I'd like Barkov, Drouin, or Nichushkin

Won't be sad if we end up with Monahan or Lindholm

Might start burning my Canes jerseys if we end up with anyone else while picking top-7

Old
06-16-2013, 06:27 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

That's the funny thing about mock drafts though, the real thing very rarely plays out the way the consensus says they should. Things like interviews and video tests that determine how a player would play a certain situation on the ice can't be taken into account before the combine. There's no justifiable reason that Cam Fowler shouldn't have gone top 5 in his draft year, and yet there he was for Anaheim to pluck him in the mid-first. If somebody likes someone enough in the top 5 range, that player's going top 5 regardless of what the consensus says.

Old
06-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That's the funny thing about mock drafts though, the real thing very rarely plays out the way the consensus says they should. Things like interviews and video tests that determine how a player would play a certain situation on the ice can't be taken into account before the combine. There's no justifiable reason that Cam Fowler shouldn't have gone top 5 in his draft year, and yet there he was for Anaheim to pluck him in the mid-first. If somebody likes someone enough in the top 5 range, that player's going top 5 regardless of what the consensus says.
I agree with you, but if we somehow wind up taking Nurse with the 5th over all pick, I'm gonna find a new team to cheer for

Old
06-16-2013, 06:34 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
I agree with you, but if we somehow wind up taking Nurse with the 5th over all pick, I'm gonna find a new team to cheer for
I'll be quite pissed if only because we could have justifiably traded down, still gotten a solid defenseman prospect at... wherever even if it's not Nurse, and fleeced some team trading up for the #5 in the process.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:21 PM
GhostofS16*

Who is hell bent on drafting a "NHL ready" prospect: Jim Rutherford or 99% of you guys?

Old
06-16-2013, 07:31 PM
semin4captain

So which round will we be picking Tyler Bertuzzi in? Bloodlines, coached by Scott Walker, can't score in junior hockey. Sounds like the perfect Hurricanes pick.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:56 PM
wallym

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'll be quite pissed if only because we could have justifiably traded down, still gotten a solid defenseman prospect at... wherever even if it's not Nurse, and fleeced some team trading up for the #5 in the process.
In the end, the goal of the draft is to make your team better (short and long term), not to get the best player left on the board. If they believe Nurse is that guy, and we can't find a way to trade down, I think you still take Nurse.

I don't think Nurse will be our #5 pick. But I think there is a rationality to not kicking the defensive problem down the road.

Closed Thread