HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Part II: All Aboard the Nichushkin Train

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2013, 04:45 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Carolina has shown in the past that they will trade picks for more NHL ready players (Nash, Sanguinetti). I am just unsure if they would be willing to pull the trigger on a deal to move without significant overpayment.
It will take more than usually since there are ~4 "top 2"-picks in this years draft. There's a significant drop after top 7-8 in this draft year.

Old
06-02-2013, 06:13 AM
geehaad

vCash: 500
With little basis for this statement, I'll hazard a guess that it is not the Hurricanes who are entertaining offers from Maloney. I think JR covets this #5 pick.

Old
06-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
With little basis for this statement, I'll hazard a guess that it is not the Hurricanes who are entertaining offers from Maloney. I think JR covets this #5 pick.
Yeah I seriously doubt it too. The one thing I could see would be to get an absolutely-established top-4 D still in his entry level contract and that team's #1 in exchange for the #5 pick. That is the only way I can see the Canes even thinking about trading down.

Saying that, I imagine that type of player is in short supply.

Old
06-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Jussijuice

I think Maloney is much more likely talking about Poile, Nashville's GM, who has said he would consider all offers for the pick.

That said, I'd think about Gormley + 12th long and hard. Nichushkin, Barkov, or Drouin would be great, but Gormley + a guy like Zykov, Shinkaruk, Nurse, or Zadorov is great high-end depth.

Also love the idea of Yuen. I wanted him in the 4th-5th two drafts ago. Very steady in the D zone, responsible, all around D. High likelihood of being a good 3rd pairing at worst.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:00 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Can't say I know how well Gormley is developing, but if he's on track I would definitely consider Gormley + 12 for 5. IIRC, there was a recording of our interview with Gormley in 2010, where JR told him that he wouldn't be there when we picked at 7th, but they would try to move up to grab him. Now I don't know if he was completely sincere, but I doubt JR would be one to mess around like that. And we all know we tried to trade back in to grab him or Fowler, but I would imagine we would have taken Fowler over Gormley.

And if there was a year to move from 5 to 12, this is certainly the year.

EDIT: Was able to dig up the vid: http://www.cbc.ca/pei/features/nhldr...urricanes.html

Last edited by BanginLikeaBiscuit: 06-02-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
06-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginLikeaBiscuit View Post
Can't say I know how well Gormley is developing, but if he's on track I would definitely consider Gormley + 12 for 5. IIRC, there was a recording of our interview with Gormley in 2010, where JR told him that he wouldn't be there when we picked at 7th, but they would try to move up to grab him. Now I don't know if he was completely sincere, but I doubt JR would be one to mess around like that. And we all know we tried to trade back in to grab him or Fowler, but I would imagine we would have taken Fowler over Gormley.

And if there was a year to move from 5 to 12, this is certainly the year.

EDIT: Was able to dig up the vid: http://www.cbc.ca/pei/features/nhldr...urricanes.html
I was looking for a connection on the Coyotes side that would make sense for us in a nepotism sense.... this is probably the closest we're going to get to confirmation that JR has at least seen the kid before.

Interesting. If JR feels that his back against the wall with Nichushkin being BPA and he doesn't want him he could easily move back into range for a Domi or Horvat at 12th as well as picking up a piece like Gormley? Sign me right the **** up.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:45 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
I was looking for a connection on the Coyotes side that would make sense for us in a nepotism sense.... this is probably the closest we're going to get to confirmation that JR has at least seen the kid before.

Interesting. If JR feels that his back against the wall with Nichushkin being BPA and he doesn't want him he could easily move back into range for a Domi or Horvat at 12th as well as picking up a piece like Gormley? Sign me right the **** up.
Yep, with how deep the draft is, I'd be fine with taking our chances at 12 and adding a close to NHL ready Gormley to the fold.

Also, the article mentioned Gormley as No. 5 on our list that year, presumably behind Hall, Seguin, Skinner, and possibly Fowler, so it follows that we held Gormley in fairly high regard at the time.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:06 PM
usefulfiction

Any interest in something around Loui Eriksson for #5?

Old
06-02-2013, 01:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Nope, just wouldn't work with our salary cap and internal cap situations. Canes need a young star player under ELC control for at least the next couple seasons til the leagues finances come back to normalcy.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Jussijuice

Truth, Phoenix is one of the only teams that makes sense.

JRs comments about this Draft being like Eric Staal's kind of makes me think he wouldn't mind trading back if the price was right. But his other comments about the player we are getting at 5 being possibly better than #1 in a high-end Draft makes me think we will just pick and walk away happy.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:26 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Truth, Phoenix is one of the only teams that makes sense.

JRs comments about this Draft being like Eric Staal's kind of makes me think he wouldn't mind trading back if the price was right. But his other comments about the player we are getting at 5 being possibly better than #1 in a high-end Draft makes me think we will just pick and walk away happy.
Doesn't hurt to both talk up your asset and keep you options open. If our team is still high on Gormley, and if Maloney did indeed call up JR, a deal isn't out of the question.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:31 PM
hbk

Coyotes are on good terms with Carolina. The teams had a deal worked out to swap picks years ago if Ryan Johansen was available at the Hurricanes selection. He wasn't and Carolina took Skinner and Phoenix took Gormely (who they had very high on their draft list - top 5 I believe) instead.

Maloney is on record that they have an offer on the table to move up. I strongly believe that Carolina is that team.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Coyotes are on good terms with Carolina. The teams had a deal worked out to swap picks years ago if Ryan Johansen was available at the Hurricanes selection. He wasn't and Carolina took Skinner and Phoenix took Gormely (who they had very high on their draft list - top 5 I believe) instead.

Maloney is on record that they have an offer on the table to move up. I strongly believe that Carolina is that team.
And you believe the deal would be something to the effect of the 5th for Gormley + 12th?

That is a pretty high price to pay, even if Phoenix is swimming in young D.

Also, who is Phoenix targeting that they want so bad at 5?

Old
DesertDawg

Gormley is developing nicely. He isn't being rushed and the Coyotes had him stay in the 'A' this season to get 1st line minutes and adjust to the pro game (as well as having OEL, Yandle, and Schlemko slotted ahead of him and why I think the Coyotes should trade Gormley before Stone).
During the 2010 draft, the Coyotes were going to try to trade up to draft Johansen. Columbus drafted him earlier than suspected and the 'Yotes watched Fowler and Gormley slide. They had Gormley and Fowler tied 4 & 5 on their draft board and Maloney stated that they they thought Gormley had a higher ceiling, but Fowler was more NHL ready.
If he remains a Coyote, I expect him to start the season in the 'A' and brought up during the season and stay with the club. It has to do more with the Coyotes depth, Gormley is still waiver exempt, and Rundblad is more NHL ready and plays the right side.

Old
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Lindholm or Monahan most likely.

edit: Could also be Drouin if things play out the way they could with Nich and Tampa.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I have to admit, I would be all over this if I were Carolina and there was even a shred of truth to the fact that Gormley might be available. Talk about an asset that could help us right away, more than any 18 year old available in this slot more than likely. But I won't be disappointed either way. It's a good problem to have.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

edit: Could also be Drouin if things play out the way they could with Nich and Tampa.
That's the ticket to me... If Drouin falls to 5 I think JR should put the pick up for auction and take whatever GM is willing to overpay the most. That pick would be ridiculously valuable.

Otherwise, Gormley + 12th would do it for me. That's seems like a large overpayment on Phoenix part but whatever works. At 12 I'd take Nurse, Ristolainen, Shinkaruk, Zykov, Zadorov in that order.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
I think I could get behind this. I always like Gormley.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:50 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
And you believe the deal would be something to the effect of the 5th for Gormley + 12th?

I could see where the 'Yotes would look into Peters being involved.

Barkov if he slides to the 5th and Lindholm if he isn't available.

and IMO, it would come down to who is available at the 5th and 12th picks if it is Gormley or one of the other 'D'.

Last edited by DesertDawg: 06-02-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old
06-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Jussijuice

If the Canes could come out of the Draft with Ristolainen and Gormley, two guys bigger guys who play a good all-around game and project as Top-4 NHL D in the next couple years, their defense situation would go from gloomy to outstanding in an instant.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:14 PM
hbk

Quote:

I would prefer Rundblad to Gormely mainly due to my concern regarding a lineup that includes both Yandle and Rundblad (not enough PP time for both). Personally I think there is a larger deal here which would include Yandle.

Phoenix needs a #1 Center. Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm would be the names in play. 2 of which could be there at 5.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I wouldn't want any D except Nurse even as high as 12th. There are too many game breakers at forward. If Domi or Horvat are on the board and we go defense, we've made a mistake.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I would prefer Rundblad to Gormely mainly due to my concern regarding a lineup that includes both Yandle and Rundblad (not enough PP time for both). Personally I think there is a larger deal here which would include Yandle.

Phoenix needs a #1 Center. Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm would be the names in play. 2 of which could be there at 5.
The only issue with Rundblad is that we have our own in Murphy. Having both in the NHL lineup would be like asking for the worst third pairing in defensive history.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:25 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

Quote:
I wouldn't want any D except Nurse even as high as 12th. There are too many game breakers at forward. If Domi or Horvat are on the board and we go defense, we've made a mistake.
The good news is that one or a few of Shinkaruk, Domi, Horvat, and Lazar have a decent chance of being on the board at #12, although surely not all 4 will be there.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

If Drouin is there at 5, it would be stupid to trade that pick, or Nichushkin for that matter.

We are going to have a top 6 player on an ELC. I don't see the point in trading it.

If anything getting Drouin or Nichushkin makes Skinner or Ruutu expendable.

Draft Drouin:
Trade Skinner to NYR for Staal, or to the Yotes for OEL or Yandle if we have to add so be it.

Draft Nichushkin:
Trade Ruutu for best available D we can get for him, even if we have to wait till he heals up and proves a value after surgery. Try to pick up Scuderi for 2m to add till then.

I believe the ceiling is better for Nichushkin or Drouin then most of our top 6.

Closed Thread