HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Miller Sweepstakes: Who's In?

Old
05-30-2013, 12:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I agree - and I think Stastny would be an element coming back to Buffalo, not only to fill their short-term center need but to help the salary cap hit be more manageable for Colorado.

On Miller's side, playing for Roy - and the winning attitude that he and Sakic are bringing to a young team like Colorado - seems very plausible as a reason he'd welcome a trade there.

And on the Avs side, sure, Miller's age can be seen as a short-term fix but it wouldn't be the first time that a young team relies on a solid veteran goalie to help bridge the gap and buffer the pressure while their young players learn and develop. Roy & Sakic might see Miller as a way to keep them competitive, take pressure off their younger players and be a leader in their locker room.
If Miller won't be winning a Cup in Colorado and Colorado should continue to build through youth. It just doesn't make sense for Miller or Colorado. Why would any goalie want to play behind that defense.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If Miller won't be winning a Cup in Colorado and Colorado should continue to build through youth. It just doesn't make sense for Miller or Colorado. Why would any goalie want to play behind that defense.
You're ignoring an equally important question: why would any goalie NOT want to play for a Hall of Fame former goalie as his coach? Players always speak fondly of playing for or with players they admired growing up.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
You're ignoring an equally important question: why would any goalie NOT want to play for a Hall of Fame former goalie as his coach? Players always speak fondly of playing for or with players they admired growing up.
So playing for a coach is more important than a chance at a Cup? Come on, there is no way for a player like Miller who is nearing the end of his career that he would want to go to a place that doesn't have a strong chance at winning.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
This didn't help Gretzky much in Phoenix though. Just because someone was a good player does not mean they'll be a good coach

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Varly's .908 save % and over 3 GAA must make the new Avs management, who didnt acquire him, extremely confident.
Please tell me how many of the following Dmen you would like on your team. Keep in mind...two of the following would be your top pairing for a lot of the season because A. - EJ was hurt and B. - Your coach (Joe Sacco) is an idiot.

Ryan O'byrne
Shane O'brien
Matt Hunwick
Greg Zanon

Varly had to play with these guys in front of him every night...some of them playing big minutes. ROB and Hunwick were our "top pairing" for quite a bit of the season until ROB was traded. Ask Toronto how good he is...

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:53 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
So playing for a coach is more important than a chance at a Cup? Come on, there is no way for a player like Miller who is nearing the end of his career that he would want to go to a place that doesn't have a strong chance at winning.
Out of the teams drafting in the top 7 last year, 5 were playoff teams this year. You get a good haul, things can turn around quickly in this league.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
TOML

Teams looking for goaltending:

Calgary Flames. If Kipper retires.
Edmonton Oilers. If not sold on Dubnyk.
Minnesota Wild. If Backstrom walks.
Columbus Blue Jackets. If Bobs walks to KHL.
Phoenix Coyotes. If Smith walks.
Buffalo Sabres. If Miller is traded.
TO. If not sold on Reimer after collapse.
New Jersey Devils. If finally pulling plug on MB.
Florida Panthers. If Markstrom not ready.
New York Islanders. If Nabokov walks.
Philadelphia Flyers. If Bryzgalov traded.
Pittsburgh Penguins. If Fleury traded.

UFA/RFA goalies:

Bobs RFA
Smith UFA
Backstrom UFA
Nabokov UFA
Thomas UFA
Theodore UFA

Goaltenders on trade market:

Miller
Luongo
Bryzgalov
Fleury

Interesting. There are enough potential suitors to accomodate the number of potential goaltenders available.

However, the return on trades will be awful. Why take on a contract if you can sign a free agent? But then again why not pull off a trade if the free agent's contract is insane like Bryzgalov's? We'll see.

TOML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Please tell me how many of the following Dmen you would like on your team. Keep in mind...two of the following would be your top pairing for a lot of the season because A. - EJ was hurt and B. - Your coach (Joe Sacco) is an idiot.

Ryan O'byrne
Shane O'brien
Matt Hunwick
Greg Zanon

Varly had to play with these guys in front of him every night...some of them playing big minutes. ROB and Hunwick were our "top pairing" for quite a bit of the season until ROB was traded. Ask Toronto how good he is...
Again, Buffalo was the WORST puck possession team in the league. Miller faced far more shots than Varly.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:04 PM
slappipappi

If the Ducks goalies are on the wrong side of 30, what do you call Miller?

Miller doesn't have that much trade value.

He's old, one year from UFA with a huge cap hit. And he had a poor season.

You aren't getting cheap, elite talent for him, and you aren't get an elite player with a higher cap hit. You'll get another salary dump.

Most of the teams you've mentioned have better goalies than Miller.

slappipappi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:08 PM
WNY to NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
This didn't help Gretzky much in Phoenix though. Just because someone was a good player does not mean they'll be a good coach
right, but roy has coached/managed successfully, granted not professionally, but he sure as hell has a more proven coaching record that 99 ever does/did

WNY to NoVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:08 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post

UFA/RFA goalies:

Bobs RFA
Smith UFA
Backstrom UFA
Nabokov UFA
Thomas UFA
Theodore UFA

Miller
Luongo
Bryzgalov
Fleury

Interesting. There are enough potential suitors to accomodate the number of potential goaltenders available.

However, the return on trades will be awful. Why take on a contract if you can sign a free agent? But then again why not pull off a trade if the free agent's contract is insane like Bryzgalov's? We'll see.
I think Hiller and Halak are both trade possibilities after losing their starter's spots. In St Louis, it sounds like the from office doesn't think Jake Allen belongs in the AHL, after his play in the NHL this season. Do the Blues go with three goalies?

Khudobin is a ufa,coming off a good season in Boston. He's looking to find a team he can be a #1 on.

Bernier wants to be a starter, although LA has no reason to move him. He's still on a cheap rfa salary.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
In one of my first posts, I pointed out Staples comments regarding Miller/Vanek, how the isles don't want to pay their big extension salaries.

Miller makes $6.5m and Vanek makes $7m+. I don't expect either to take significant paycuts on their extensions.

The isles don't spend anywhere close to the cap ceiling. They are among the lowest spenders in the NHL, so what the 2014-2015 cap will look like, isn''t a factor. For the isles, it only matters what their expected budget will look like.
I wouldn't put too much stock into what the Isles or Staple are saying when it comes to Miller. Not getting Vanek because of the salary makes sense, since they have internal options they could use instead(Strome/Nino). With Miller, they can talk all they want about not wanting to pay that kind of salary, but at the end of the day they NEED to upgrade their goaltender position. At this point, who knows if the price for Bernier will be too high for their liking(a 1st and a solid prospect?), if Halak's injury concerns will scare them off, if Khudobin's uncertainty as a starter will force them to pass, if Smith's inconsistency will make them look elsewhere, if Luongo's contract is way too long for them to consider(which I'm sure it will be), etc.

Regardless of what they say, IMO there are very real scenarios that could lead them to going after Miller. Especially when you consider that he's probably one of, if not the most proven goaltender on the market. If it comes down to sucking it up and giving Miller an extension at $5M per year or going into the season with Nabby/Poulin again, I think they'd swallow their pride and make the move.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock into what the Isles or Staple are saying when it comes to Miller. Not getting Vanek because of the salary makes sense, since they have internal options they could use instead(Strome/Nino). With Miller, they can talk all they want about not wanting to pay that kind of salary, but at the end of the day they NEED to upgrade their goaltender position. At this point, who knows if the price for Bernier will be too high for their liking(a 1st and a solid prospect?), if Halak's injury concerns will scare them off, if Khudobin's uncertainty as a starter will force them to pass, if Smith's inconsistency will make them look elsewhere, if Luongo's contract is way too long for them to consider(which I'm sure it will be), etc.

Regardless of what they say, IMO there are very real scenarios that could lead them to going after Miller. Especially when you consider that he's probably one of, if not the most proven goaltender on the market. If it comes down to sucking it up and giving Miller an extension at $5M per year or going into the season with Nabby/Poulin again, I think they'd swallow their pride and make the move.
I don't think pride has anything to do with it.I think it comes down to what the isles are willing to pay, how they want their budget distributed.
Isles reportedly called LA asking about Bernier. Miller at $6.5m or Bernier, due a raise after making $1.25m?

Staple also think Snow will have interest in Khudobin, a ufa who made $800,000 and Hiller/Halak if they are available.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post

UFA/RFA goalies:

Bobs RFA
Smith UFA
Backstrom UFA
Nabokov UFA
Thomas UFA
Theodore UFA

Miller
Luongo
Bryzgalov
Fleury

of the teams you listed i think minnesota or pheonix make the most sense. pheonix is close to his wife and minny could is in compete now mode + the suter/parise/miller team usa thing. the other teams you listed are all young up and comers so i dont see why they would part with assets for a goalie millers age? i suppose philly could use him as well but with bryz locked up to that contract it would be a messy situation

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Again, Buffalo was the WORST puck possession team in the league. Miller faced far more shots than Varly.
So BOTH teams had terrible defense. Both Goalies faced a lot of shots...

Miller - 2.81 GAA - .915 S%
Varly - 3.02 GAA - .903 S%

Yes Miller was better...but he is also older and a bigger cap hit.
Varly is younger and just hitting his prime.

In the KHL before lockout ended
Varly - 1.74 GAA - .946 S%

His talent is there. We are getting a full time goalie coach which we have not had in years. I still dont touch Miller or what he would cost with a 9 foot pole.

Avs dont want Miller. We arent a contender yet and Miller will want to go to one.

Avs For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:35 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't think pride has anything to do with it.I think it comes down to what the isles are willing to pay, how they want their budget distributed.
Isles reportedly called LA asking about Bernier. Miller at $6.5m or Bernier, due a raise after making $1.25m?

Staple also think Snow will have interest in Khudobin, a ufa who made $800,000 and Hiller/Halak if they are available.
The idea of Bernier and Khudobin are great, but if Kings fans are right about what LA is realistically looking to acquire, I wouldn't be surprised if Snow just backs off. As far as Khudobin goes, the fact that Snow likes him really doesn't guarantee us anything. I'm sure he'll have several suitors. Let's say someone else coughs up the goods for Bernier, and Khudobin gets a ridiculous contract offer from another team.

Who's left? Halak, Smith, Luongo and Miller? Luongo is not gonna happen. Smith doesn't seem to be the type of guy Isles fans want, so that leaves Halak and Miller. In this scenario, you really don't see them at least kicking the tires on acquiring Miller?

Old
05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
If the price for Miller drops to anything other than a 1st or a top prospect, I would expect Snow to be in on it(assuming he can get an extension done). Miller, IMO, is the best goalie on the market. Bernier isn't far behind, and he has the highest upside, but he'll also be the most expensive.

I hope Snow at least makes a few calls to Buffalo in the offseason.
Miller has not played even close to well for some time. The game has changed from when he was at his best (2010). He is a very 'slightly' built guy, who has difficulty with the 'traffic' allowed now. His value is not what the younger and larger goalies have. He would return a bit less than what Bishop got in Ottawa - a second tier prospect or 3rd. round pick.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:47 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Miller has not played even close to well for some time. The game has changed from when he was at his best (2010). He is a very 'slightly' built guy, who has difficulty with the 'traffic' allowed now. His value is not what the younger and larger goalies have. He would return a bit less than what Bishop got in Ottawa - a second tier prospect or 3rd. round pick.
I only saw him about 4 times this past year but every game he looked solid. I assumed he was still close to his hay-day level. Has he really dropped off that much?

Old
05-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
So BOTH teams had terrible defense. Both Goalies faced a lot of shots...

Miller - 2.81 GAA - .915 S%
Varly - 3.02 GAA - .903 S%

Yes Miller was better...but he is also older and a bigger cap hit.
Varly is younger and just hitting his prime.

In the KHL before lockout ended
Varly - 1.74 GAA - .946 S%

His talent is there. We are getting a full time goalie coach which we have not had in years. I still dont touch Miller or what he would cost with a 9 foot pole.

Avs dont want Miller. We arent a contender yet and Miller will want to go to one.
No point reasoning with the guy.

He's clearly delusional by thinking the Sabres will get the #1 Overall pick in a deal where Miller is the Centerpiece.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
I only saw him about 4 times this past year but every game he looked solid. I assumed he was still close to his hay-day level. Has he really dropped off that much?
You need to remember where he was: at or near the top in 2010. When the enforcement of the rules seemed to change (part way through 2011) and the referees began calling less, this affected Miller. He is still a good goalie, but his lack of body weight does effect his ability to battle traffic. He might, under the correct circumstance, garner a second round pick from a team that has some big, heavy D, who feel that weak goaltending is keeping them from Cup contention. Look for Pittsburgh to be interrested, if their issues in goal bite them against Boston. How would Bufallo like MA Fluery for Miller?

Old
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
stokes84

Quote:
He is still one of the best goalies in the NHL. That guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. He has a very high even strength save %, as always, and has one of the best GVT's in the league. He's still a top player.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:09 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
You need to remember where he was: at or near the top in 2010. When the enforcement of the rules seemed to change (part way through 2011) and the referees began calling less, this affected Miller. He is still a good goalie, but his lack of body weight does effect his ability to battle traffic. He might, under the correct circumstance, garner a second round pick from a team that has some big, heavy D, who feel that weak goaltending is keeping them from Cup contention. Look for Pittsburgh to be interrested, if their issues in goal bite them against Boston. How would Bufallo like MA Fluery for Miller?
There is nothing in the world we would like to do more than downgrade our goalie for no gain. Brilliant.

P.S. You spelled Buffalo wrong.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:14 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
No. His ES sv% this year was nearly identical to his Vezina year. And with a much worse team too. Put a remotely competent PK in front of Miller again (Buffalo's was bottom 5), and all of this non-sense calling him an average goalie or worse goes away.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
There is nothing in the world we would like to do more than downgrade our goalie for no gain. Brilliant.

P.S. You spelled Buffalo wrong.
My apologies to the fine city, and people of Buffalo. No insult intended. I still believe that would be a good move for your hockey club though. You are building a young core there, and MAF is the right age for that group.

Old
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
The idea of Bernier and Khudobin are great, but if Kings fans are right about what LA is realistically looking to acquire, I wouldn't be surprised if Snow just backs off. As far as Khudobin goes, the fact that Snow likes him really doesn't guarantee us anything. I'm sure he'll have several suitors. Let's say someone else coughs up the goods for Bernier, and Khudobin gets a ridiculous contract offer from another team.

Who's left? Halak, Smith, Luongo and Miller? Luongo is not gonna happen. Smith doesn't seem to be the type of guy Isles fans want, so that leaves Halak and Miller. In this scenario, you really don't see them at least kicking the tires on acquiring Miller?
Khudobin wants to be a #1 in the NHL. Isles are one of the few teams, that can offer him a #1 role. With the cap dropping $6m, you expect some team to offer Khudobin a ridiculous contract offer to be their backup?

Hiller would be a very expensive backup in Anaheim at $4m+.

The Blues situation with Halak, is messier then Hiller's in Anaheim because they have 3 nhl goalies for 2 spots and also Jordan Binnington, the goalie of the year in the Ontario Hockey League, would likely play in the ECHL, instead of the AHL.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...e6a6c13f4.html