HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT MLB ratings decline

Old
05-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
I've said this for a few years now. Baseball's viewership is tremendously skewed to the old audience. As that old audience begins to phase out of the 18-49 demographic or literally "Phase out" of the viewership numbers.

So more or less, there are more baseball fans dying than being born.

And people can call it regionalized all they want, but the fact that they have a third of their local markets contributing to ratings and still can't put up HALF the rating that an NHL playoff game can is sad.

0.5 with 10 local markets involved is nothing short of pathetic.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Appleanche

The NBA and NHL have a **** load of games at 82. At 2.5 hours per game that's 205 hours in a season, or a total of about 8.5 days a season you'll be watching hockey/adbreaks/intermissions/etc for hockey.

An MLB game lasts about 3 hours and has 162 frigging games... That's 486 hours a year, or 20.25 days a year watching baseball... that's a serious time commitment. Especially when it's usually at nights during the nicest times of the year.

It's basically an every damn night thing.. I'm not sure how fans can commit that kind of time for games that have such little meaning with the amount of games.

I used to watch just about every Red Sox game nightly, but frankly it just became too much, now I'll catch about half and that still is over 82 games a damn year.

Baseball to me is the kind of sport that shines in the playoffs, the slower pace of the game adds to the tension of each pitch.. since each game matters so much.. on the flip side of that when it's a 162 game season I really want to see them speed the game up.

Pitchers take way too long to throw, batters take too many time outs, there's too much slowness that could largely be hustled if people weren't afraid to make any changes.

Appleanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Wingsfan2965*

I agree with baseball badly needing to speed up the game. Get a pitch clock or something.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:50 PM
SlickM32

the MLB is just boring. Since they stopped letting players juice, the home run totals are down. Rarely is there a guy who jacks 40+ and hits over .300. Let the guys juice and once the slugfests return, I'm sure the numbers will go up.

The MLB was in a similar situation until McGwire and Sosa started to launch, and the MLB was huge when Bonds was jacking 73 HRs.

Games take 3-4 hours to play, so it's hard to sitdown and watch a game. Hockey games are 2 and a half hours with 2 distinct intermissions where you can leave and get something done. You don't watch a MLB game, it is something that is on in the background.

I also agree with the baby boomers. I think younger generations are not as fans of baseball as some of the older folk.

Until the MLB reduces the time of the game and increases the offense, ratings will struggle.

SlickM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
bigduga

The thing about baseball's tv ratings is that it's the only sport of the big four you can listen to on the radio. Or at least it's by far the least annoying to listen to as a spectator.

I'm a huge cards fan. I watch probably two games a week on TV. I listen to the other four on the radio while I work on other things. In the odd case I cant do either i box-score check, and i read the newspaper coverage every morning.

Baseball is - to me, anyhow - the most flexible and accessible of the major sports. The fact that i can be engrossed in the game without having to be glued to the tv all night is huge.

bigduga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:41 PM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

vCash: 13477
Not sure about the older skewing audience theory. I go to games regularly in Philly, DC, and Detroit and the stands are packed with either groups of 20 something's or 30 something's and their young kids.

From some of the posts here you'd think we were talking about boxing or horse racing.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Brodie
voted best

I go to two or three Tigers games a year, but I rarely watch on TV. The average age of a World Series viewer is now 55... as many 85 year olds are watching as 25 year olds. That's right up with Jay Leno's Tonight Show.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I go to two or three Tigers games a year, but I rarely watch on TV. The average age of a World Series viewer is now 55... as many 85 year olds are watching as 25 year olds. That's right up with Jay Leno's Tonight Show.
Or that means they're only measuring through traditional mediums. Most young people rarely watch any thing on traditional TV any more.

Old
05-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Not sure about the older skewing audience theory. I go to games regularly in Philly, DC, and Detroit and the stands are packed with either groups of 20 something's or 30 something's and their young kids.

From some of the posts here you'd think we were talking about boxing or horse racing.
Put it this way... They do 2 million viewers Saturday. The NHL does 1.3 million viewers Friday. The MLB had 700,000 more viewers, but did the same exact rating in the 18-49 demo.

Hint: Those extra 700,000 aren't under 18.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Brodie
voted best

Quote:
Or that means they're only measuring through traditional mediums. Most young people rarely watch any thing on traditional TV any more.
if so, it's odd that all these young people are watching all the other sports on TV while baseball is the exception

baseball games are fun events to go to... they're cheap and plentiful and they require very little attention. It's a fun night out in the spring and summer. That's not translating to watching the sport on TV.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:21 PM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
if so, it's odd that all these young people are watching all the other sports on TV while baseball is the exception

baseball games are fun events to go to... they're cheap and plentiful and they require very little attention. It's a fun night out in the spring and summer. That's not translating to watching the sport on TV.
And where has it been said they're watching other sports in increasing numbers? Last I had heard viewership for most televised sports , and most televised anything really, is down from where it used to be. You need to look at those numbers in contexts. The Internet, Netflix, and DVR have led to the once infallible tv ratings number to not be the be all end all that they once were.

Baseball may not be the big sport it was pre-1994 but it has its niche and is a solid #2 much to many on here's chagrin. Ten years from now people will still be trying to tell us it's dying off.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
And where has it been said they're watching other sports in increasing numbers? Last I had heard viewership for most televised sports , and most televised anything really, is down from where it used to be. You need to look at those numbers in contexts. The Internet, Netflix, and DVR have led to the once infallible tv ratings number to not be the be all end all that they once were.

Baseball may not be the big sport it was pre-1994 but it has its niche and is a solid #2 much to many on here's chagrin. Ten years from now people will still be trying to tell us it's dying off.
It's about to fall out of that #2 spot, if it hasn't already.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Brodie
voted best

In 2012, the average age of an NBA Finals viewer was 40, Super Bowl viewer was 42, Stanley Cup viewer was 45. World Series was 52.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...rts-demos.aspx

Old
05-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Renbarg

I'm a baseball fan, but a lot of changes that have come and are coming are not to my liking. And I'm not one of those "sports were better back in the day" type of guys.

1. I don't like interleague play too much. I can take a half-dozen series a year at specified times of the year, but I don't like the way its done this year. Yes I understand that the Astros moving kind of necessitates that but I'd rather play intra-conference games only. I'm the same in the NHL, as an Eastern Conference guy, I am totally fine with never playing Western Conference teams during the regular season.

2. I don't like the DH. As an NL fan, I follow NL teams. I rarely watch baseball if AL teams are involved. I don't like what it has done to the game (although that's sounds kind of silly as I only know baseball with a DH involved). It is my opinion that all players should play defense and offense. If a pitcher can't hit, that's on him, if a team can't find a position for a slugger, that's on them. The complete package should be part of the game. Having the pitcher in the 9 hole also forces more strategy from the manager as well. It makes for an interesting game. Sooner or later the DH is coming to the NL, and I can't stand that fact.

3. Games getting longer, and longer. Don't know if the official stats back me up, but it certainly feels like games are getting far longer than they used to. I can't remember too many games coming in under the 3 hour mark. Its fine for at home viewing, but it seriously makes me want to go to less games.

4. Too much cookie-cutter-managing. Managers are afraid to take chances. Everything is by-the-book. Whether its a Bill James sabametric book, or an older-school book. How about using closer in the 7th, if you have the bases loaded, and you got a guy coming up your closer has owned!?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 02:57 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
It's about to fall out of that #2 spot, if it hasn't already.
Lulz. The NBA is closer to the NHL in revenue than MLB and that's without baseball's new TV contract.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 03:03 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:

Let's not forget how awesome MLB.tv is and how they have millions of subscribers. Isn't At Bat the best sellin sports app of all time? Must be all those seniors.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 03:47 AM
nadera78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I got into a discussion with someone a while back about the game, and what came out of the discussion was interesting.

He wasn't one of my peer group, but a casual conversation. He was definitely a "boomer", and talked about the nature of the game: How Baseball is meant to be a day/night where you sit, relax, watch a very strategic game being played out, slow, methodical. It was a social occasion, it wasn't about "action every minute"-but he compared it to a chess game between two teams. He lamented that part of the reason kids aren't into the game is the nature of our immediate gratification culture: if something exciting isn't happening constantly (MTV/Videogames), they clue out-and certainly can't sit for 3-4 hours to appreciate a strategic game/relaxing day at the park.

I think those days are gone, and going back to the OP: the challenge will be for baseball to try and grab those younger fans who don't have five minutes when their internet goes down, nevermind a 3 hour game of strategy and inches.
You think 3 hours is a game of strategy and inches? A cricket match lasts 5 days!

nadera78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:00 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Lulz. The NBA is closer to the NHL in revenue than MLB and that's without baseball's new TV contract.
Hello exactly!

The NBA is no where near passing baseball for #2, national TV ratings be damned.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Revenue =/= popularity.

The MLB can demand nice fat TV contracts because if not, what the hell else are sports broadcasters going to air from June through September?

Darts?

Old
05-29-2013, 09:24 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Revenue =/= popularity.

The MLB can demand nice fat TV contracts because if not, what the hell else are sports broadcasters going to air from June through September?

Darts?
Local TV ratings and attendance still destroy the NBA's. The only thing the NBA has going for it are national ratings. The NBA is NOT more popular than baseball. NBA fans only care about about 5 teams while 20 or so teams are irrelevant and have garbage local viewership.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Local TV ratings and attendance still destroy the NBA's. The only thing the NBA has going for it are national ratings. The NBA is NOT more popular than baseball. NBA fans only care about about 5 teams while 20 or so teams are irrelevant and have garbage local viewership.
Hey, I'm not trying to pump the NBA's tires at all, just saying that the MLB is sinking (And that a lot of it is their own fault)

And the MLB is kinda similar in the regard that nobody really cares about all but five teams.

You also have to consider that while MLB games get far more in attendance (Especially when you consider twice as many home games) they also sell tickets much cheaper.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:51 AM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

MLB also has 35-50K seat stadiums to fill, as opposed to the NBA which is filling only 17-20K arenas. So there's a lot more at play then just the fact that they have double the home games.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
MLB also has 35-50K seat stadiums to fill, as opposed to the NBA which is filling only 17-20K arenas. So there's a lot more at play then just the fact that they have double the home games.
They have bigger arenas? No way!

Old
05-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Baseball has done a lot to kill interest in the sport

Growing up I loved (and still do) watching the Red Sox. Some of my most intense sports moments were waiting for the pitch. Hockey is great in the sense that something good or bad can happen at any time. Baseball is great in the sense that you see things slowly unraveling or heating up before your eyes and the wait between pitches tears you up inside.

When I was little I played hockey, which took up the fall and winter. I was pretty excited to play baseball. Tball was fun, so was coach pitch, but man did everything go to a screeching halt when kids started pitching. I doon't think we finished a single game when I was younger because it was walk, walk, hit by pitch, walk, etc. After 2 years I just couldn't take it and switched to lacrosse, as did many of my friends.

I think the MLB hurt themselves by doing away with day games. There is nothing better than sitting on a beach, with a beer, listening to some baseball. I don't really see the desire to stay up to 12am to watch a regular season baseball game, nor do many parents let their kids stay up that late.

I wonder at what time the W.S. trophy has been handed out in eastern standard time? I remember from the sox run in 2004, we were up past midnight almost every night. I know they need to cater to west coast fans, but you have an entire generation that was asleep when your championship trophy is awarded.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:29 AM
scotchex

Quote:
Revenue =/= popularity.

Darts?
Actually revenue is an excellent measure of popularity because revenue captures all aspects of popularity. In fact, revenue is the single best measure of a sports popularity.

If fans spend 2x as much money on one sport vs another -- it's because that sport is 2x as popular.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote