HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

OT MLB ratings decline

Old
05-29-2013, 10:36 AM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Baseball has done a lot to kill interest in the sport

Growing up I loved (and still do) watching the Red Sox. Some of my most intense sports moments were waiting for the pitch. Hockey is great in the sense that something good or bad can happen at any time. Baseball is great in the sense that you see things slowly unraveling or heating up before your eyes and the wait between pitches tears you up inside.

When I was little I played hockey, which took up the fall and winter. I was pretty excited to play baseball. Tball was fun, so was coach pitch, but man did everything go to a screeching halt when kids started pitching. I doon't think we finished a single game when I was younger because it was walk, walk, hit by pitch, walk, etc. After 2 years I just couldn't take it and switched to lacrosse, as did many of my friends.

I think the MLB hurt themselves by doing away with day games. There is nothing better than sitting on a beach, with a beer, listening to some baseball. I don't really see the desire to stay up to 12am to watch a regular season baseball game, nor do many parents let their kids stay up that late.

I wonder at what time the W.S. trophy has been handed out in eastern standard time? I remember from the sox run in 2004, we were up past midnight almost every night. I know they need to cater to west coast fans, but you have an entire generation that was asleep when your championship trophy is awarded.
Baseball has had teams on the West Coast since 1958. You make it sound like this is something new? if anything they've made the WC games start earlier the last 15-20 years. And you could likely make the same criticism of WC NHL and NBA playoff games.

IceAce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
3. Games getting longer, and longer.
An interesting article on game length.

http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/...ng-longer.html

Turns out overall game length has in fact starting coming down (needs to come down much more, IMO) but some teams - notably the Red Sox - have continued to lengthen the game.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
I think the MLB hurt themselves by doing away with day games. There is nothing better than sitting on a beach, with a beer, listening to some baseball.
I agree with this sentiment, too. With streaming to everywhere, and people time shifting the crap out of watching patterns anyway, perhaps this would be a good time to bring back at least some day games.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Morris Wanchuk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Baseball has had teams on the West Coast since 1958. You make it sound like this is something new? if anything they've made the WC games start earlier the last 15-20 years. And you could likely make the same criticism of WC NHL and NBA playoff games.
I'm talking about the world series.

No reason a kid on the east coast should have to stay up until 12am to watch their favorite team win a championship, or even casually watch a not in market team.

The NHL and NBA can afford to start games at 8pm because they are normally over by 10:30. Baseball is a longer game to begin with, not to mention weather factors into it as well.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm talking about the world series.

No reason a kid on the east coast should have to stay up until 12am to watch their favorite team win a championship, or even casually watch a not in market team.

The NHL and NBA can afford to start games at 8pm because they are normally over by 10:30. Baseball is a longer game to begin with, not to mention weather factors into it as well.
So they should start the games at 4p Pacific when people are still at work

Sorry we can't always make the East Coast happy

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

well, it's pretty basic math... well over half the country lives in EST and CST. Only ~20% live in the PST and even fewer in MST. Yes, I'd say it's a good idea to schedule with the Eastern half of the country in mind even if it means 5pm start times out west.

Quote:
MLB also has 35-50K seat stadiums to fill, as opposed to the NBA which is filling only 17-20K arenas. So there's a lot more at play then just the fact that they have double the home games.
NBA teams playing at domed stadiums (the Pistons, the Sonics) have drawn well over 30,000 and into the low 40's. So I don't think it's an issue of potential crowd sizes.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:35 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
well, it's pretty basic math... well over half the country lives in EST and CST. Only ~20% live in the PST and even fewer in MST. Yes, I'd say it's a good idea to schedule with the Eastern half of the country in mind even if it means 5pm start times out west.
That's what they do. 5pm PT, not 4pm. Thanks for agreeing with me...

Old
05-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

No, they do 6pm west coast start times.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:22 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Nope. 8 eastern, 5 pacific

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2004196.html

Old
05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

well, the OP specifically referenced the Red Sox WS wins, during the first of which games started at 8:30 EST

Old
05-29-2013, 12:32 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
well, the OP specifically referenced the Red Sox WS wins, during the first of which games started at 8:30 EST
So...the league fixed the problem and people are complaining about what happened way in the past?

Ok then...

Old
05-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

West coats is an afterthought. East coast is more important.

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

Quote:
So...the league fixed the problem and people are complaining about what happened way in the past?

Ok then...
well, it was one dude complaining about it... I was basically only saying that yes, as long as the East Coast is happy then the West Coast is really irrelevant.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:03 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

As long as it keeps soccer away, we'll be fine

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:09 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
West coats is an afterthought. East coast is more important.
Not to the networks. That's why NBA Playoff games have been starting at 9 eastern.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I'm a baseball fan, but a lot of changes that have come and are coming are not to my liking. And I'm not one of those "sports were better back in the day" type of guys.

1. I don't like interleague play too much. I can take a half-dozen series a year at specified times of the year, but I don't like the way its done this year. Yes I understand that the Astros moving kind of necessitates that but I'd rather play intra-conference games only. I'm the same in the NHL, as an Eastern Conference guy, I am totally fine with never playing Western Conference teams during the regular season.

2. I don't like the DH. As an NL fan, I follow NL teams. I rarely watch baseball if AL teams are involved. I don't like what it has done to the game (although that's sounds kind of silly as I only know baseball with a DH involved). It is my opinion that all players should play defense and offense. If a pitcher can't hit, that's on him, if a team can't find a position for a slugger, that's on them. The complete package should be part of the game. Having the pitcher in the 9 hole also forces more strategy from the manager as well. It makes for an interesting game. Sooner or later the DH is coming to the NL, and I can't stand that fact.

3. Games getting longer, and longer. Don't know if the official stats back me up, but it certainly feels like games are getting far longer than they used to. I can't remember too many games coming in under the 3 hour mark. Its fine for at home viewing, but it seriously makes me want to go to less games.

4. Too much cookie-cutter-managing. Managers are afraid to take chances. Everything is by-the-book. Whether its a Bill James sabametric book, or an older-school book. How about using closer in the 7th, if you have the bases loaded, and you got a guy coming up your closer has owned!?
What's wrong with interleague? I'd rather watch the Mets vs Yankees then the Yankees whup the orioles or Angels

Same Giants vs Athletics And Chicago Chicago

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Not sure about the older skewing audience theory. I go to games regularly in Philly, DC, and Detroit and the stands are packed with either groups of 20 something's or 30 something's and their young kids.

From some of the posts here you'd think we were talking about boxing or horse racing.
They go to drink and be idiots.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Melrose Munch

KINGS17 where are you man.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Local TV ratings and attendance still destroy the NBA's. The only thing the NBA has going for it are national ratings. The NBA is NOT more popular than baseball. NBA fans only care about about 5 teams while 20 or so teams are irrelevant and have garbage local viewership.
Yeah? .... well NBA national ratings murder baseballs and baseball has even less parity at this point so this argument does not matter.

Baseball games need co be capped at 2 hours, they need to reach out to blacks, they need a pitch clock, metal/aluminum bats should be legal as should steroids.

Quote:

Where are the most TV eyes? Boston to DC. Chicago and LA are more isolated.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:23 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
How the hell can you put a two hour time limit on baseball when there is no clock? NHL and NBA games last 2.5 hours and the NFL lasts 3 and you want MLB games to be less than that?

And metal and aluminum bats should be legal? You're basically putting a weapon in the hands of a hitter. You think a line drive at the pitcher is hard with a wooden bat? Speed it up even more with an aluminum bat.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 02:30 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
How the hell can you put a two hour time limit on baseball when there is no clock? NHL and NBA games last 2.5 hours and the NFL lasts 3 and you want MLB games to be less than that?

And metal and aluminum bats should be legal? You're basically putting a weapon in the hands of a hitter. You think a line drive at the pitcher is hard with a wooden bat? Speed it up even more with an aluminum bat.
Yeah...sorry Melrose but these ideas are beyond awful.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

that's a pretty crappy excuse... they're legal at basically every other level of baseball and nobody complains

Old
05-29-2013, 02:31 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Yeah? .... well NBA national ratings murder baseballs and baseball has even less parity at this point so this argument does not matter.
That's total nonsense. Baseball has as many different champs the last 11-12 years as the NBA does in 30.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:32 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
that's a pretty crappy excuse... they're legal at basically every other level of baseball and nobody complains
Every other level

IE: NOT PROFESSIONALS

Old
05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

nope, just all the players who become professionals one or two years later