HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT MLB ratings decline

Old
06-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
True, you don't need to enforce offsides in soccer when there are 5-9 year olds playing. I played both but I always liked baseball better
Maybe I had too much of short attention-span to play Baseball. I had to move all the time.

Quote:
but it's expensive to play.
I didn't know Baseball was that expensive? Not in my time anyway. And we were relatively poor when I was a kid. Of course it must have changed since then.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
1) This is not true.
MLB is not a localizied sport like the NHL or NBA.
In the NHL and NBA, the fanbases usually are just within the immediate metro area.
Example would be Blackhawks. I don't think there are many avid Hawks fans in Ds Moines, Indianapolis, or Peroia. However, for MLB they definitely have a hardcore following.

2) The NBA is similar, but the NBA has many casual fans. In the NHL, if you don't live in the immediate area, you probably don't care about hockey. In the NBA, you probably don't root for the nearest team 2+ hours away but you watch NCAA and NBA as a casual fan.
NBA is not local. 8.5 million per finals game and Lakers fans in Iowa say the NBA is not local.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 06:22 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Maybe I had too much of short attention-span to play Baseball. I had to move all the time.

I didn't know Baseball was that expensive? Not in my time anyway. And we were relatively poor when I was a kid. Of course it must have changed since then.
When I played I needed a new glove pretty much every year (minimum $40 for a decent one), I needed a couple of bats, cleats plus the cost to get into the league.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:48 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Quote:
Everyone plays soccer when they're little? Why? Because it costs a ball.
And that's exactly why soccer is the "most popular" sport in the world. Not because it has a high excitement factor.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
And that's exactly why soccer is the "most popular" sport in the world. Not because it has a high excitement factor.
Yet western europe with can afford to play other sports soccer is # 1.

joelef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
When I played I needed a new glove pretty much every year (minimum $40 for a decent one), I needed a couple of bats, cleats plus the cost to get into the league.
Really? I used 1 glove from my 1st year playing in kindergarten until 5th grade. Got a new glove in 6th grade and that's the glove I own today. Never bought a bat. The league provided a few for each team and then a few kids always had their own for everyone to use. League entry was always cheap, probably a quarter of what hockey cost my parents.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Tekneek

They practically give away the streaming product. I paid $10 to get in on it last season and about $50 to get it this year. I only watch the "national game" when it includes one of the three teams I follow. Otherwise, I pass.

Who watches whatever the national game is in any sport? It is usually only going to be either (1) fans of the teams involved, (2) those who try to watch every game they can, or (3) those who love the sport and don't already pay for access to the streaming product for the league. When you can already see every game played by the teams you care about, the "game of the week" gets more boring/annoying.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:21 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Baseball is only expensive if you make it expensive. The cleats cost as much as nice shoes, but a basic glove and bat shouldn't run a kid more than $50.

Compare that to hockey where you can't even get a helmet for $50.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:23 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

I've always liked baseball, shame to see it decline in popularity. Hopefully the league finds new ways to generate interest in the game.

06-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Compare that to hockey where you can't even get a helmet for $50.
Hockey is the most expensive, even if you get secondhand pads, skates, etc. Soccer is the least expensive. As a kid, I played both hockey and soccer for years. Practice and game time was about equal, but soccer cost way less to participate in.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:35 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Really? I used 1 glove from my 1st year playing in kindergarten until 5th grade. Got a new glove in 6th grade and that's the glove I own today. Never bought a bat. The league provided a few for each team and then a few kids always had their own for everyone to use. League entry was always cheap, probably a quarter of what hockey cost my parents.
I can say the same thing as I played as a kid almost all summer in backyard suburbia West St. Louis County; but look at the cost for local government's/organizations to set-up youths to play organized baseball. You have to maintain fields that are only used for baseball, backstops, sporting equipment (backstops, bases, bats, etc.), and liability/indemnity coverage on players and property. I can easily say without being a certified actuary that soccer is far less expensive fiscally for them than baseball. I see way more soccer available to my kids for that reason.

Also think about how many inner-city parks are going to let a dozen and a half 12-13 year old boys equipped with their own bats and balls to play a pick-up game of baseball there on a whim? Very few because some risk manager has an insurance risk equation that puts the risk/reward above a threshold that will cost cities more tax dollars in reserve for covering for potential liability on already stretched budgets with no appetite for increased taxes. More than likely they will be reported as armed thugs and have the cops called on them.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:09 PM
scotchex

Quote:
Couple bats? I played my whole childhood. Never had to buy my own bat.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
scotchex

Some of this depends on the league structure. I played football -- but always for a school and the school supplied all the equipment. I think I had to buy cleats. But the helmet and all the pads were free. The school had to pay, of course.
I also played high school baseball. And by that point most of us bought our own bats even though the school supplied us with plenty of free ones. It was a bit of status thing and the richer kids bought cooler equipment.
But baseball gloves seem to always be personal and owned by the individual, free tee-ball on up.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Outside of gloves and one bat I never recalled ever buying anything for the game, and neither of those were crazy expensive (at least not hockey expensive). Cost of entry isn't the reason why ratings are going down that's for sure.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Hmm, I was on a select team so maybe that's the difference. Entrance was I think $375 at the time I played plus bats, glove, cleats.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote