HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 03:30 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
according to this article

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=547572

yes
WOW there are sources saying that both Isles and HABS confirm that the HABS still will have the pick...

I don't get it.....WTF is the reason for the Isles tojust let the habs have it?

Old
06-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
WOW there are sources saying that both Isles and HABS confirm that the HABS still will have the pick...

I don't get it.....WTF is the reason for the Isles tojust let the habs have it?
Yeah, that's odd. They should've either had Montreal's 5th rounder in last year's draft or 4th rounder this year.

I can't see this as falling through the cracks or Snow just forgoing the pick altogether and letting it go. Either this is a mistake or something else was worked out.

Old
06-27-2013, 06:46 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Yeah, that's odd. They should've either had Montreal's 5th rounder in last year's draft or 4th rounder this year.

I can't see this as falling through the cracks or Snow just forgoing the pick altogether and letting it go. Either this is a mistake or something else was worked out.
According to Wikipedia, the Islanders still have Montreal's 4th round pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NHL_Entry_Draft

Old
06-27-2013, 07:04 PM
InformTheMasses

Somebody posted a few weeks ago that the Montreal Canadiens had to make the Eastern Conference finals that season as well as all the other contingencies for the conditional draft pick to change hands.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Renbarg

Its possible that the media got the trade wrong. There would be no reason for the teams to correct them.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:29 PM
duster19

im intrigued by darnell nurse

Old
06-27-2013, 09:32 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
im intrigued by darnell nurse
The Islanders won about 8 games too many.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Apparently the extra pick hinged on a condition, either re-signing Wiz or reaching a level of the playoffs which we didn't, but it does appear the Habs have the pick.

Old
06-27-2013, 10:10 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
The Islanders won about 8 games too many.
where do you think he will go? I think je has a lot of upside. maybe Edm at 7 or phi?

Old
06-27-2013, 10:21 PM
boredmale

Quote:
where do you think he will go? I think je has a lot of upside. Maybe edm at 7 or phi?
8-11 is my guess, probably first defenseman after Jones

Old
06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
where do you think he will go? I think je has a lot of upside. maybe Edm at 7 or phi?
Could see him go as high as 4th (yes 4th!) but no lower than 8th.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:45 AM
StumpNYI

Just watched the Shinkaruk highlights video posted on the Islanders website and he made Reinhart look like a pylon. Enforces my opinion he has trouble handling speedy players.

Does he play left wing? Would it be worth the risk to trade proven talent like Grabner or Moulson to move up in the draft to grab this guy? Doubt he'll drop.

Old
06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Just watched the Shinkaruk highlights video posted on the Islanders website and he made Reinhart look like a pylon. Enforces my opinion he has trouble handling speedy players.

Does he play left wing? Would it be worth the risk to trade proven talent like Grabner or Moulson to move up in the draft to grab this guy? Doubt he'll drop.
He's been my favorite since the Islanders made their run from lottery team to a 15th overall pick. I knew they weren't gonna get one of the top forwards, so I focused on him, Lazar, Domi and Mantha. I think he may fall. He reminds me of Zach Parise both in style, and his possible fall in the rankings. It's been reported that he did not interview well at the Combine, so he may drop. Though I've seen his name linked to the Devils at #9 for a while.

Also, Shinkaruk has made many a defenseman look like a pylon. He's got great wheels and hands.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:11 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Could see him go as high as 4th (yes 4th!) but no lower than 8th.
I tend to agree. I dont see him getting passed the oilers at 7. Zadorov to Phi at 11 i think to.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:12 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
He's been my favorite since the Islanders made their run from lottery team to a 15th overall pick. I knew they weren't gonna get one of the top forwards, so I focused on him, Lazar, Domi and Mantha. I think he may fall. He reminds me of Zach Parise both in style, and his possible fall in the rankings. It's been reported that he did not interview well at the Combine, so he may drop. Though I've seen his name linked to the Devils at #9 for a while.

Also, Shinkaruk has made many a defenseman look like a pylon. He's got great wheels and hands.
I think he would be a great addition, but I m worried that WIN or PHX might grab him.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:13 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post

Highlights must not have been from this years playoffs. The Oil Kings and specifically Reinhardt made Shinkaruk look invisible. Shinkaruk couldn't get to the slot to save his life. I thought Reinhart was impressive that series.

In any event I don't want to beat up Shinkaruk. He's a good player. Not my first choice but wouldn't be upset if he were the pick. I actually think some forwards will drop ( Domi, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Lazar) at least one of those will be available at 15. Some of the big mobile defenceman are going to go higher than most people think.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
StumpNYI

Skip to 5:01 to see the play I was mentioning.

Good to hear about Reinharts recent playoffs though. Won't downplay his other abilities. Just think he is a little slow. Then again, Chara looks slow to me too, so maybe it's just me.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:

Based on what I've seen, I think Parise is a fair comparison. Maybe a more show-boating Parise perhaps. Sign me up.

Old
06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
scott99

Just a little tidbit I read this morning in one of the free NY Papers (AM NY). It said the Islanders are going to draft a D-man, and they mentioned Morin and Pulock. Don't know where they got this idea, may have just been the writer's guess. We shall see.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Very interesting read on defenseman that I saw on Lighthouse in the comments section of the Zadorov scouting report.

http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/201...and-draft.html

Old
06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Very interesting read on defenseman that I saw on Lighthouse in the comments section of the Zadorov scouting report.

Looks like we're in the clear. Assuming I did my math right, Reinhart had a above a .6 ppg average in his second year.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:53 AM
gramatanboy

Quote:

Thanks PW for pointing out this article!! This concept of low scoring defensemen in the CHL not becoming top flight NHLer's is probably why the Islanders and many other teams tend to draft forwards more often than defensemen in the 1st round and why the Islanders are likely to draft a forward this year as well. I would be thrilled with one of Shinkaruk, Domi, Horvat or Lazar. For some reason, I am not sold on Ryan Pullock, who is a big scorer, becoming a solid two way #2 defenseman in the NHL.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
scott99

Quote:

I have a 140 IQ, and I have no clue what all that mumbo jumbo meant.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:08 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:

Old
06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
It doesn't mean anything. Scouts and general managers scout for player abilities and talents. Their performance (statistics/points) is only a byproduct and typically not an accurate one of players abilities.

The whole baseline of the study is Points per game scored in Juniors hockey in a players given draft year.

That right there should tell you that it is an incredibly flawed study. No serious stats guy would ever use that as a baseline if they had a clue about hockey. This is just a case of making numbers say what you want them to say in order to push your agenda. In this case size doesn't matter, or more specifically being a tall defensive defenceman works against you in your chances of being an NHL player.

Just my opinion as someone who majored in Financed and doubled minored in economics and qualitative methods (statistics) and now despises most 'studies'.

Closed Thread