HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
  #51
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Based on history and what the Isles look for, I'm getting pretty convinced that if they had their druthers, Gauthier would be the guy. It's worth reading the redline profile on him:

http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-cont...-Spotlight.pdf

What I learned from that: there's a reason why this was his first year in junior - he stayed in midget, because he wasn't sure whether he 100% wanted to be a pro hockey player. His other option was Harvard. He decided to be a hockey player and go to junior. So he's smart, deliberate, and committed. Add that to being huge and skilled.
Listen, people rip Mantha's desire/intensity, whatever, justly or not. BUT, last thing I want is a guy who questioned whether he wanted to play Pro Hockey or not. That's a bigger red flag in my opinion. Reminds me of what Belichick once said about football players, something to the effect "I want guys who live, breath and eat football". Don't give me a guy who's unsure.

scott99 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  #52
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
The NYI site says we have the following picks:
Round 1: 15th overall
Round 3: 75th overall
Round 4: 105th overall
Round 5: 135th overall
Round 6: 165th overall
Round 7: 195th overall

I could have sworn reading that we have two 4ths this year.
http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2013.htm

Montreal's 4th rounder


Traded James Wisniewski to Canadiens for 2011 second round pick (#50-Johan Sundstrom), 2012 conditional fifth round pick or 2013 fourth round pick (if 2012 fifth round pick is not available) (if Canadiens make 2011 playoffs and Wisniewski plays in at least 50% of Canadiens' playoff games)) (?-?) on 2010-12-28

boredmale is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:05 AM
  #53
edmontonislesfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I know very little about Lazar, who I think some folks here have seen a good bit of.

Should there be any reason for concern that he only went 9-2-11 in 22 playoff games? Also, of his 38 goals, it seems that more than 20 of them came in the 2013 portion of the season. Just a hot streak?
I wouldn't be too concerned about Lazar. His compete level can never be questioned. He did start out the season relatively slowly, scoring-wise, and then got hot later on. In the playoffs, to provide more balanced scoring and avoid match-ups, they had him, at least for part of the time, play a third-line defensive role. He was away from his regular wingers (Samuelsson and Legault) and with others (e.g., Bertolucci and Kulda) who didn't score as much.

edmontonislesfan is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:18 AM
  #54
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2013.htm

Montreal's 4th rounder


Traded James Wisniewski to Canadiens for 2011 second round pick (#50-Johan Sundstrom), 2012 conditional fifth round pick or 2013 fourth round pick (if 2012 fifth round pick is not available) (if Canadiens make 2011 playoffs and Wisniewski plays in at least 50% of Canadiens' playoff games)) (?-?) on 2010-12-28
Stop right there (end of bold print), we already won the trade.

Edit: For the Record. Montreal DID make the playoffs in 2011 and lost in 7 games to Boston. Wiz played 6 of those games. If those terms are accurate that pick (#118 overall) should transfer to the Islanders

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:20 AM
  #55
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Listen, people rip Mantha's desire/intensity, whatever, justly or not. BUT, last thing I want is a guy who questioned whether he wanted to play Pro Hockey or not. That's a bigger red flag in my opinion. Reminds me of what Belichick once said about football players, something to the effect "I want guys who live, breath and eat football". Don't give me a guy who's unsure.
It's not like he was questioning going into hockey vs. going into meth cooking or underwater basket weaving. He was questioning going full-bore into hockey vs. hedging his bet on pro hockey while playing Div I hockey and getting a Harvard Education.

It's just not a red flag.

Dan-o16 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:22 AM
  #56
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's not like he was questioning going into hockey vs. going into meth cooking or underwater basket weaving. He was questioning going full-bore into hockey vs. hedging his bet on pro hockey while playing Div I hockey and getting a Harvard Education.

It's just not a red flag.
Hey buddy, what's your problem with underwater basket weaving ? That was my major in college !

scott99 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
  #57
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Stop right there (end of bold print), we already won the trade.
We won the trade in the sense that we traded a 3rd rounder for Wiz then turned around and traded him for a 2nd(plus got the conditional 5th or 4th pick), so we basically moved up 20 spots and had his services for 20 games

boredmale is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
  #58
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
We won the trade in the sense that we traded a 3rd rounder for Wiz then turned around and traded him for a 2nd(plus got the conditional 5th or 4th pick), so we basically moved up 20 spots and had his services for 20 games
Yup. Moved up 18 spots in the draft, he played 32 games for us AND added a 4th rounder (#118 overall) this year.

It's the trade that keeps on giving. Then in another year or so when Sundstrom makes the NHL it'll be even better.

But Snow doesn't make any trades.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:36 AM
  #59
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Yup. Moved up 18 spots in the draft, he played 32 games for us AND added a 4th rounder (#118 overall) this year.

It's the trade that keeps on giving. Then in another year or so when Sundstrom makes the NHL it'll be even better.

But Snow doesn't make any trades.
Sunstrom of of my favorite Islander prospects.

Degeneration Rex is online now  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
  #60
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,447
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Robert Nilsson labeled with questionable drive/compete level?? Revisionism.

He was drafted (and I was one of those pounding the table for Parise) because he was successful in the SEL against older players, breaking Markus Naslund's point record for that league by a 17-year old. At the time it was NOT considered swinging for the fences AT ALL. With his draft year performance AND his pedigree he was considered a pretty good pick at that slot.

He didn't pan out in the NHL after averaging a point per game in the AHL. That's the breaks.
My recollection is that there were questions about his drive/determination but not his talent. Kind of like his father Kent (an all-time great talent who didn't quite end up as an all-time great player b/c of his work ethic). The sins of the father, and all that. Anyway, a quick search brought this up (on SI, via McKeens):


"However, one thing could stand in his way: himself. Some scouts have questioned Nilsson's work ethic. Now scouts have to ask the question of whether this is just a young kid cracking under the pressure of the impending draft or is this the way it's going to be when he hits the NHL.

Some have gone as far as to say he hasn't put forth a good work ethic since the end of the 2000-01 season. Granted he is no Alexander Volchkov (a former highly drafted player who once got dressed and left in the middle of a game after he felt he wasn't getting enough ice time), but it still is something the scouts never like to hear."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...keens_nilsson/

doublechili is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 12:03 PM
  #61
Ultimate Warrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Interesting thought.

True too, although there have been a few years where very few boys from the Q have been drafted high.

In general, we've seen that Snow's drafts have tended to include:
- Taking an overage, offensive-minded righty shooting CHL Dman as of round 4 (Kichton, Dehart, Graham).
- We've also seen the tendency to take a high school kid, usually from Minnesota. In fact, the team seems to always take a Minnesotan. (Ness, Nelson, Clark, Bischoff)
- We also generally see at least one Swede being taken. Or we can expand on that by saying that there is at least one Swede OR one Finn always being taken. (Too numerous to name)
- Also, have any of his drafts included NOT taking a defenseman somewhere?

Also, I'd say the Maine and Bawston connections are quite obvious in general, so it should never be a surprise when kids/players are acquired who have some connection to these areas.

Any other things of note?
Trent Klatt grew up there and has alot of connections in the Minnesota area so it will not surprise me at all when he selects another HS player that will turn into a late round gem

Ultimate Warrior is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
  #62
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name
 
Marlo Stanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,679
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
i'm praying for zadorov
+1.

If we can land him or Rasmus Ristolainen I'll be elated.

Marlo Stanfield is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 12:16 PM
  #63
gramatanboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Westport
Country: United States
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Any one of Zadorov, Ristolainen, Horvat, Domi or Lazar would be a great draft pick imo

gramatanboy is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 12:35 PM
  #64
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
+1.

If we can land him or Rasmus Ristolainen I'll be elated.
I just get the feeling that there is going to be a run on forwards in the top-10 with only Jones a sure fire bet to get picked. That'll leave a bunch of highly rated defenseman 'falling' into the 10-15 spot. Philly at #11 seems desperate for defenseman so I expect them to take one, plus Phoenix, Winnipeg, and Columbus look like forward is a more pressing need. I can see the Isles potentially having at least one or two of the big d-men available when they pick at #15.

With all the talk of Santini, he could be the pick at #15 rather than Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pulock, etc.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  #65
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name
 
Marlo Stanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,679
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I just get the feeling that there is going to be a run on forwards in the top-10 with only Jones a sure fire bet to get picked. That'll leave a bunch of highly rated defenseman 'falling' into the 10-15 spot. Philly at #11 seems desperate for defenseman so I expect them to take one, plus Phoenix, Winnipeg, and Columbus look like forward is a more pressing need. I can see the Isles potentially having at least one or two of the big d-men available when they pick at #15
Just a rough mock

1. - Jones
2. - Mackinnon
3. - Drouin
4 to 6 - Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm

Between 7 to 10 you gotta hope Nichuskin, Horvat, Shinkaruk go - Edmonton at 7 and Dallas at 10 being the wildcard to go defenseman. Nurse/Zadarov could go to Philly at 11, Domi falls 12 to Phoenix, Lazar possibly 13 and if Ristolainen is sitting at 14, I'm 99% sure Columbus takes him (their new GM is a fellow Fin and watched/scouted him for years). Santini would be nice at 15. Ultimate dream would be one of Zadarov/Ristolainen/Nurse being there. If not go with Santini.

Marlo Stanfield is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
  #66
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
The Islanders don't scout WHAT area well? The OHL? Zadorov played nearly 90 games this season in the OHL when you factor in playoffs and memorial cup. If they liked what they saw, they would draft him if available.

I don't think it matters anyway, Zadorov is a lock to go in the top 10, I don't care what any mock drafts say, he will be long gone by the time the 15th pick comes around.
Their draft history states otherwise. Kabanov is the only 'eastern block' player that Snow drafted that was in CAN. He was seen by all the other 29 teams as talented, but risky aka 'worth the flyer' on him.

When not taking gambles/flyers on players (Kabanov/Petrov), then the Isles have taken 1 guy from that region under Snow.

blitzkriegs is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:10 PM
  #67
rikker
Registered User
 
rikker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,255
vCash: 500
mock draft from bleacher report. they have us taking zykov. it seems like we are going to get a very good player at 16.




http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-picks/page/16

rikker is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:17 PM
  #68
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
mock draft from bleacher report. they have us taking zykov. it seems like we are going to get a very good player at 16.




http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-picks/page/16
Tavares has worked on his skating but I would be hesitant on calling him "quick."

Renbarg is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:19 PM
  #69
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Just a rough mock

1. - Jones
2. - Mackinnon
3. - Drouin
4 to 6 - Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm

Between 7 to 10 you gotta hope Nichuskin, Horvat, Shinkaruk go - Edmonton at 7 and Dallas at 10 being the wildcard to go defenseman. Nurse/Zadarov could go to Philly at 11, Domi falls 12 to Phoenix, Lazar possibly 13 and if Ristolainen is sitting at 14, I'm 99% sure Columbus takes him (their new GM is a fellow Fin and watched/scouted him for years). Santini would be nice at 15. Ultimate dream would be one of Zadarov/Ristolainen/Nurse being there. If not go with Santini.
If the Isles go with a d-man, I share your thoughts. If there really is a run on forwards then any one of those d-men would present great value at #15. Santini jumped to #17 on the latest ISS and he seems to be gaining some momentum. We're also forgetting about Pulock who is also rated around where the Isles pick.

It's a forward heavy draft and I expect it to go that way. We all saw how last year's rich d-man draft went. For teams looking defense, they could be getting outstanding value with a top-10 rated player in the middle of the 1st.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
  #70
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
mock draft from bleacher report. they have us taking zykov. it seems like we are going to get a very good player at 16.




http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-picks/page/16
Don't we have the #15 pick ?

scott99 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:38 PM
  #71
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
I love Santini...I hope growing up in the area doesn't add any pressure on the kid...

IMO He is going to be a pure defensive rock...Hit Hard play Physical and be an all around solid player....If Garth and co feel he is the BPA then I have faith in them....I think we are starting to see that mayby this guy Garth is not so bad....

I just hope we wouldn't pass over a Risto,Zadorov or Nurse if they were available

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:39 PM
  #72
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
If the Isles go with a d-man, I share your thoughts. If there really is a run on forwards then any one of those d-men would present great value at #15. Santini jumped to #17 on the latest ISS and he seems to be gaining some momentum. We're also forgetting about Pulock who is also rated around where the Isles pick.

It's a forward heavy draft and I expect it to go that way. We all saw how last year's rich d-man draft went. For teams looking defense, they could be getting outstanding value with a top-10 rated player in the middle of the 1st.
Grigorenko,Forsberg,Faska were all thought to be top 10 picks....

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:41 PM
  #73
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I love Santini...I hope growing up in the area doesn't add any pressure on the kid...

IMO He is going to be a pure defensive rock...Hit Hard play Physical and be an all around solid player....If Garth and co feel he is the BPA then I have faith in them....I think we are starting to see that mayby this guy Garth is not so bad....

I just hope we wouldn't pass over a Risto,Zadorov or Nurse if they were available
If Santini can become a top pairing then I would be ok with that. I would rather a quality top four guy who can and will contribute something on the offensive side of the game. oppose to a player who might just be a sound top four guy who can eat up some minutes.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:46 PM
  #74
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Don't we have the #15 pick ?
yes we pick 15

boredmale is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
  #75
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
If Santini can become a top pairing then I would be ok with that. I would rather a quality top four guy who can and will contribute something on the offensive side of the game. oppose to a player who might just be a sound top four guy who can eat up some minutes.
I agree,

A kid like Risto is expected to be a two-way defenseman and Santini is not really expected to contribute offensively . It doesn't mean he wont develop that though...
But I get what you mean..

Right now I don't think Santini is expected to become a top pairing guy...But imo If He is Playing against the other teams top forwards and his job is to shut them down ala Hamonic, he is in a sense a top pairing defender..

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.