HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  #126
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
We'd have to trade all of our picks, plus Niederreiter and Strome. I rather take a chance that pick #15 winds up as good as Nicushkin. Even whipping boy Mantha looks great in highlights but nobody here wants him at 15 (except me). Every prospect looks good in their highlight reel. Look at Barkov's, who's doing it against men, and you might say, wait a minute, I want Barkov instead of Nicushkin.
I don't know about the bold. For instance, I never thought Filatov looked that great scoring uncontested breakaway goals in his vids. Nichushkin, OTOH, displays amazing skill and skating for a 6'4", 200lb kid, and he really drives the net, and seems to play in traffic. Those look like NHL play of the week videos, not CHL quality. I see something special there.

doublechili is offline  
Old
06-02-2013, 08:59 PM
  #127
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,871
vCash: 50
The way Nichushkin drives to the net reminds me of Malkin. I'm not saying he's going to be that good but he has very intriguing tools. I can see him going as high as #3, his skill level is up their with MacKinnon's, Drouin's, etc. I would say there is little to no shot he makes it to #15.

seafoam is online now  
Old
06-02-2013, 09:03 PM
  #128
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The way Nichushkin drives to the net reminds me of Malkin. I'm not saying he's going to be that good but he has very intriguing tools. I can see him going as high as #3, his skill level is up their with MacKinnon's, Drouin's, etc. I would say there is little to no shot he makes it to #15.
My guess is the lowest he falls is 9, and even then I am guessing he doesn't make it past 8

boredmale is online now  
Old
06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
  #129
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,871
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
My guess is the lowest he falls is 9, and even then I am guessing he doesn't make it past 8
Even if he falls into the teens, it wouldn't surpise me to see him go to Philadelphia. He has expressed in playing for the Flyers.

seafoam is online now  
Old
06-02-2013, 10:03 PM
  #130
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The way Nichushkin drives to the net reminds me of Malkin. I'm not saying he's going to be that good but he has very intriguing tools. I can see him going as high as #3, his skill level is up their with MacKinnon's, Drouin's, etc. I would say there is little to no shot he makes it to #15.
Oh yeah, I wasn't suggesting the Isles hope he drops to #15. I think you'd have to trade up to #4 or #5 if you really wanted him. And apparently there would be some competition to get there....

I really don't expect the Isles to make that kind of trade. But this kid seems to have some special talent.

doublechili is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
  #131
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Then I'd be thrilled if Domi was the pick.
Domi is a fine player but IMO it would be impossible for him to be the BPA at pick 15. (Yes I think there are at least 15 players with potential to be better NHL players).

Not to mention that LW is easily the deepest position in the Islanders organization (even deeper than center).

I think it will be BPA all the way but if Snow were going to duplicate last seasons (all one one position draft) I would want it to be Right Wing (and or right handed centers that can potentially play wing). Maybe sprinkle in a goalie and/or right handed shooting defensemen if they happen to be BPA later in draft.

True right wingers in the organization: Kyle Okposo, Colin McDonald, Kirill Petrov, Kirill Kabanov, Rhett Rakhshani. And that's it. Everyone else is a HOPEFULL conversion including Nino.

This team has more LW/C/D (most of them left handed) than it knows what to do with.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 09:48 AM
  #132
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Domi is a fine player but IMO it would be impossible for him to be the BPA at pick 15. (Yes I think there are at least 15 players with potential to be better NHL players).

Not to mention that LW is easily the deepest position in the Islanders organization (even deeper than center).

I think it will be BPA all the way but if Snow were going to duplicate last seasons (all one one position draft) I would want it to be Right Wing (and or right handed centers that can potentially play wing). Maybe sprinkle in a goalie and/or right handed shooting defensemen if they happen to be BPA later in draft.

True right wingers in the organization: Kyle Okposo, Colin McDonald, Kirill Petrov, Kirill Kabanov, Rhett Rakhshani. And that's it. Everyone else is a HOPEFULL conversion including Nino.

This team has more LW/C/D (most of them left handed) than it knows what to do with.
ITM, who would be your choice at #15. I respect your knowledge of prospects, so I'd be interested in who are your preferences.

scott99 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:14 AM
  #133
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
ITM, who would be your choice at #15. I respect your knowledge of prospects, so I'd be interested in who are your preferences.
judging by the preferences he stated above, that sounds a lot like lazar (rh center who can likely transition to rw).

thedonger is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 10:24 AM
  #134
Degeneration Rex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Upstate,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
ITM, who would be your choice at #15. I respect your knowledge of prospects, so I'd be interested in who are your preferences.
Sounds a lot like Lazar. I would be very happy if he is the pick. If available 15 he could filled a need while possibly being best player on the board.

Degeneration Rex is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 11:21 AM
  #135
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Sounds a lot like Lazar. I would be very happy if he is the pick. If available 15 he could filled a need while possibly being best player on the board.
I'd be thrilled with that pick. I'm sure they've scouted him big time.

Pluses- I love his speed, and obviously a sniper
Minuses- For a centerman, he doesn't seem to make his linemates better. 38 goals but ONLY 23 assists in the regular season, and then 9 goals but ONLY 2 assists in the playoffs.

If Hunter Shinkaruk were available as well at #15, he'd be my preference over Lazar. Wouldn't complain if either winds up pick #15. Either way, I think we wind up with a Canadian player that hopefully is a main player on their team, and plays at the WJHC's.

scott99 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 11:40 AM
  #136
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,357
vCash: 500
IR4 picked Lazar at #15 in the Moderator's Draft.

Can't really argue the pick, I'd be totally cool with him. Reinhart and Lazar from the OK's. Sounds good.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:02 PM
  #137
SDIsles34
Registered User
 
SDIsles34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...g-combine-2009

2011 draft picks who are re-entering for 2013. A few interesting cases such as Christopher Gibson from LA.

Any opinions on him? Has he play digressed THAT much?

SDIsles34 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:24 PM
  #138
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...g-combine-2009

2011 draft picks who are re-entering for 2013. A few interesting cases such as Christopher Gibson from LA.

Any opinions on him? Has he play digressed THAT much?
I would like to use our 4th round pick on another Finnish goalie Juuse Saros.

scott99 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #139
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
IR4 picked Lazar at #15 in the Moderator's Draft.

Can't really argue the pick, I'd be totally cool with him. Reinhart and Lazar from the OK's. Sounds good.
Just read a Bleacher Report post-combine mock. They have Shinkaruk AND Lazar going before our pick. They have us taking wing Zykov (whom I like) over d-man Zadarov (whom I think we would pick over Zykov). I'd be happy with either. Have a feeling Zadarov is going to become a beast in all facets of the game.

scott99 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
  #140
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Just read a Bleacher Report post-combine mock. They have Shinkaruk AND Lazar going before our pick. They have us taking wing Zykov (whom I like) over d-man Zadarov (whom I think we would pick over Zykov). I'd be happy with either. Have a feeling Zadarov is going to become a beast in all facets of the game.
personally, not a fan of zykov in the first round...maybe if we had a 2nd 1st.

if shinkaruk (likely gone) and lazar (flip a coin) are taken before 15, zadorov or risto (if available) would be my guy at 15. i'd even take pulock or morrisey over zykov if risto and zadorov are also gone.

thedonger is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:12 PM
  #141
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
IR4 picked Lazar at #15 in the Moderator's Draft.

Can't really argue the pick, I'd be totally cool with him. Reinhart and Lazar from the OK's. Sounds good.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1438093


Here's the link to the Mock Draft.

__________________
Homeland Security is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  #142
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
personally, not a fan of zykov in the first round...maybe if we had a 2nd 1st.

if shinkaruk (likely gone) and lazar (flip a coin) are taken before 15, zadorov or risto (if available) would be my guy at 15. i'd even take pulock or morrisey over zykov if risto and zadorov are also gone.
They had Pulock going 14th and Risto going 11th (I believe).

scott99 is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 01:59 PM
  #143
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name
 
Marlo Stanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,646
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Interesting that Zadarov was passed in favor of Lazar...if Zadarov falls to us at 15 in real life, I'd hope we'd take him

Marlo Stanfield is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 02:21 PM
  #144
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
If Santini falls to 25, I wonder what CGY would want for that pick? They have 3 1sts I think...they might be interested in some later picks. Maybe the 2nd we will get back from TT and something? Kabanov?

duster19 is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
  #145
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I don't know about the bold. For instance, I never thought Filatov looked that great scoring uncontested breakaway goals in his vids. Nichushkin, OTOH, displays amazing skill and skating for a 6'4", 200lb kid, and he really drives the net, and seems to play in traffic. Those look like NHL play of the week videos, not CHL quality. I see something special there.
It was his vids that made me hate him lol.. all that techno crap that showed him never scrambling or making any effort through traffic.

Dutch Frost is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
  #146
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
ITM, who would be your choice at #15. I respect your knowledge of prospects, so I'd be interested in who are your preferences.
It's hard, I really do like a lot of prospects this year. And some of my favorites (Rychel, Gauthier, Zadorov etc) do not fit the description of what the organization lacks most. Then again I'm of the belief that you do not draft for team need and BPA is the way to go, but with the Islanders being so deep in certain areas and so barren in others (mainly RW) it's hard not to look to fill that with some draft picks.

I'm going to assume that the top 8 players are out of play, for me those players are:

S.Jones
N.MacKinnon
Druoin
Nichushkin
Lindholm
Nurse
Zadorov
Barkov

If any of those players make it to 15, consider it a miracle and draft that player.

Beyond those players its a matter of preference and if we are looking for RW, Righty Centers that can be moved to RW, Right handed Defenseman, with good skating, decent size and solid play in all 3 zones, the list of candidates should look something like this

Lazar
Pulock
Ristolainin
R.Hartman
Zykov
S.Santini
M.Bowey
J.Bailey


Some of those listed above are stretched for the 15th overall pick. In fact if Lazar and Pulock are off the board at 15, and the other 8 players listed further above are off the board as well. I try my best to move down and acquire additional pick(s). There's a good chance you will be able to get at least one of the other handful of players that would fit the Islanders Organizational needs nicely. All of those players posses two way ability, Speed, Size, physical play and are right handed shots.

Zykov is a wild card, if he were a better skater I would have him up there with Lazar, perhaps ahead of him. But then again if Zykov were a great skater he would be a top 5-10 pick for sure.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 07:18 PM
  #147
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,357
vCash: 500
Great post ITM, can't really disagree with you on anything. We need more RH shots.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 07:23 PM
  #148
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Great post ITM, can't really disagree with you on anything. We need more RH shots.
I agree, that's why guys like Lazar, Poluck or Ristolainin deserve extra consideration if they fall to us and the difference between them and another player being BPA is very very close

boredmale is online now  
Old
06-03-2013, 07:39 PM
  #149
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
It's hard, I really do like a lot of prospects this year. And some of my favorites (Rychel, Gauthier, Zadorov etc) do not fit the description of what the organization lacks most. Then again I'm of the belief that you do not draft for team need and BPA is the way to go, but with the Islanders being so deep in certain areas and so barren in others (mainly RW) it's hard not to look to fill that with some draft picks.


its a matter of preference and if we are looking for RW, Righty Centers that can be moved to RW, Right handed Defenseman, with good skating, decent size and solid play in all 3 zones, the list of candidates should look something like this

Lazar
Pulock
Ristolainin
R.Hartman
Zykov
S.Santini
M.Bowey
J.Bailey


Some of those listed above are stretched for the 15th overall pick. In fact if Lazar and Pulock are off the board at 15, and the other 8 players listed further above are off the board as well. I try my best to move down and acquire additional pick(s). There's a good chance you will be able to get at least one of the other handful of players that would fit the Islanders Organizational needs nicely. All of those players posses two way ability, Speed, Size, physical play and are right handed shots.
i think it would be a mistake to drop down from 15 if, say, bo horvat was staring snow in the face. you can't drop down in the draft simply due to the organization's PRESENT need for a right handed shot on the top two lines. very few players taken in the middle of the first round will play in the league before they are 20 which is why it shouldn't matter if they shoot left or right. i mean, what if horvat developed into ron francis and our "drop down" trade netted us two tom fitzgerald's? wouldn't it be easier to move a young ron francis type for the missing piece to the puzzle than a couple of tom fitzgerald types?

ps...please don't miss the larger point i'm trying to make. i simply used the names francis and fitzgerald as examples.

islandermaniac is offline  
Old
06-03-2013, 07:52 PM
  #150
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i think it would be a mistake to drop down from 15 if, say, bo horvat was staring snow in the face. you can't drop down in the draft simply due to the organization's PRESENT need for a right handed shot on the top two lines. very few players taken in the middle of the first round will play in the league before they are 20 which is why it shouldn't matter if they shoot left or right. i mean, what if horvat developed into ron francis and our "drop down" trade netted us two tom fitzgerald's? wouldn't it be easier to move a young ron francis type for the missing piece to the puzzle than a couple of tom fitzgerald types?

ps...please don't miss the larger point i'm trying to make. i simply used the names francis and fitzgerald as examples.
I understand what you mean, and I agree, to a point. I said the top 8 players, if they are there, you take them regardless of need. After that, we are talking about very equal players. I have seen Bo Horvat play a lot, I like him, he's good but Lazar is better in my opinion. Faster, better shot, better release, better defensively.

I don't want to dump on Horvat he's good, but I wouldn't worry about 'missing out on him'. Rychel and Gauthier I might be a little nervous passing on, but would do it with a good enough offer.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.