HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Amnesty Volchenkov or Salvador?

View Poll Results: Which Player do you Buyout?
Anton Volchenkov 108 59.67%
Bryce Salvador 73 40.33%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-31-2013, 12:23 PM
MichaelJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
One of Greene/Fayne? Are you saying they are similar in value?

Greene is our best Dman by a fairly wide margin. Plus he has a good cap hit. I only trade Greene in a package for a top player.
No I'm not. I would trade whichever brings the greatest return. My point in including the, the way I wrote it was differentiating NHL players from prospects. I'd be willing to trade one of the younger NHL defenseman if it came to it in the event the prospects weren't enough.

MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:25 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
none of those guys you mentioned are worth a damn. maybe Boucher.
Nonsense. Urbom and Gelinas have value. They wouldn't be the lynchpin in any trade but in a depth 3-1 swap they would come in handy. #9, Boucher, and Gelinas/Urbom would net a scorer of value.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:25 PM
tsipka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Fayne has a lot of value because of his minuscule contract and the fact that he's a RH shot.
I wouldnt say Fayne has alot of value, but he is a solid dman. His contract now is very nice. My point wasn't to bash Fayne.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Nonsense. Urbom and Gelinas have value. They wouldn't be the lynchpin in any trade but in a depth 3-1 swap they would come in handy. #9, Boucher, and Gelinas/Urbom would net a scorer of value.
I doubt it.

I hope you're right though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
I doubt it.

I actually think he is right, there's a ton of value in that package. I just wouldn't do it, because I don't think there are any scorers out there for sale and I think we'd regret losing the pick/Boucher before long.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
I doubt it.

We'll agree to disagree then.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
I actually think he is right, there's a ton of value in that package. I just wouldn't do it, because I don't think there are any scorers out there for sale and I think we'd regret losing the pick/Boucher before long.
What if Bobby Ryan goes back on the market? The Devils would be adding potentially 30 goals. Boucher might not make the transition to th NHL, the #9 pick could bust, and Urbom could wind up as a meh defender.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:35 PM
tsipka

Quote:
#9, Boucher, and Gelinas/Urbom would net a scorer of value.
That would definitely get us a top 6 scorer from the right team. That package is perfect for a rebuilding team. The thing is that scorer does not make NJ a contender. So there is no point to give up those assets.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I Couldnt care less about Urbom. I stand by my stance that he won't have any impact as a Devil going forward. we've been hearing about him breaking through for 3 years now.

Old
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
What if Bobby Ryan goes back on the market? The Devils would be adding potentially 30 goals. Boucher might not make the transition to th NHL, the #9 pick could bust, and Urbom could wind up as a meh defender.
And Bobby Ryan could blow out his knee in his first game as a Devil. Or get hit by a bus tomorrow. Or maybe he finds Jesus and retires from hockey. Maybe he wants to fulfill his boyhood dream of becoming a pastry chef. Or maybe he's abducted by aliens.

Something can ALWAYS happen, that doesn't mean you give away prospects and picks like candy on Halloween. Especially on a team starved for future assets like we are.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
I don't see Anaheim trading Ryan for a collection of unproven players. They were one of the top teams in the NHL, they'll look to trade Ryan for a Marc Staal, someone to plug the team's holes.

Plus, you can't make trades based on "could fail," because that's not how assets are valued. They could fail, but I don't think Boucher will. The 9th "could bust", but it could also turn into a key prospect. That's reasonably fair value, but I'm not comfortable making that trade.

Old
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
That would definitely get us a top 6 scorer from the right team. That package is perfect for a rebuilding team. The thing is that scorer does not make NJ a contender. So there is no point to give up those assets.
we lost 1 scorer from a team that went to the Finals and had the season we did. whos to say getting another one wouldnt put us back in the playoffs?

Old
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
I Couldnt care less about Urbom. I stand by my stance that he won't have any impact as a Devil going forward. we've been hearing about him breaking through for 3 years now.
He's getting Ahonened.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
And Bobby Ryan could blow out his knee in his first game as a Devil. Or get hit by a bus tomorrow. Or maybe he finds Jesus and retires from hockey. Maybe he wants to fulfill his boyhood dream of becoming a pastry chef. Or maybe he's abducted by aliens.

Something can ALWAYS happen, that doesn't mean you give away prospects and picks like candy on Halloween. Especially on a team starved for future assets like we are.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:45 PM
tsipka

Quote:
we lost 1 scorer from a team that went to the Finals and had the season we did. whos to say getting another one wouldnt put us back in the playoffs?
A scorer probably will put us back in the playoffs, but that doesnt make us contenders like Pitt, Bos, Chi, LA.

I would rather sign a guy like Horton, Ryder or Ribiero (even though he is not a sniper) and keep those assets.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
A scorer probably will put us back in the playoffs, but that doesnt make us contenders like Pitt, Bos, Chi, LA.

I would rather sign a guy like Horton, Ryder or Ribiero (even though he is not a sniper) and keep those assets.
Damien Brunner.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:

were we a contender last year when we were within 2 games of a Cup?
I am not saying I would or wouldnt make a deal like that. but still, I think adding one more legit scorer somehow puts us as a contender again. it allows everyone to fall back into place where they should be int he lineup.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:52 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post

Ridiculous comparison. Ryan is a proven NHL player and the other 3 are not. End of story. If you had to make $1,000 bet right now as to who will score more goals in 2014-15, would you take Ryan or Boucher? You'd obviously take Ryan.

Of the last 9 NHL drafts, the #9 pick has only produced Logan Couture and maybe Mikael Granlund as worth anything. The odds aren't that great that anyone of value will join the roster with that pick.

And no one here seems to be that high on Urbom's future.

A young enough established scorer IS also a future asset.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
were we a contender last year when we were within 2 games of a Cup?
I am not saying I would or wouldnt make a deal like that. but still, I think adding one more legit scorer somehow puts us as a contender again. it allows everyone to fall back into place where they should be int he lineup.
Yes, but how much of a contender? A 7th seed?

Old
05-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Yes, but how much of a contender? A 7th seed?
if the past few years don't tell you that seeding means nothing in the playoffs, I don't know what will.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:57 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
if the past few years don't tell you that seeding means nothing in the playoffs, I don't know what will.
I don't want to root for a team that eeks into the playoffs and hopes to catch fire every year. I'd rather the Devils go in expected to do damage.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
I don't want to root for a team that eeks into the playoffs and hopes to catch fire every year. I'd rather the Devils go in expected to do damage.
they did that for the better part of a decade and flamed out in the first round almost every time.

Old
05-31-2013, 01:00 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
they did that for the better part of a decade and flamed out in the first round almost every time.
That's no reason to go in as an underdog. Because they had more talented rosters and lost they should go in with less?

Old
05-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
That's no reason to go in as an underdog. Because they had more talented rosters and lost they should go in with less?
I think you're missing the point. Of course you want your team to be as talented as possible, but the way to build those really talented teams is through successful drafting and development, not by trading prospects and picks for veterans.

Old
05-31-2013, 01:06 PM
MichaelJ

Quote:
I think you're missing the point. Of course you want your team to be as talented as possible, but the way to build those really talented teams is through successful drafting and development, not by trading prospects and picks for veterans.
I'm not missing any point. Right now the Devils are structured in a way that their window is going to close very shortly. The prospects you're talking about are not essential and will have minor impact. As I said in another post, if the scorer acquired is young (mid-20's) he is also a future asset. If the Devils don't add some offensive talent their going to have a team of Kovalchuk, Henrique, and Zajac and that's it before long. They need to deal from their defensive depth to balance out.