HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Amnesty Volchenkov or Salvador?

View Poll Results: Which Player do you Buyout?
Anton Volchenkov 108 59.67%
Bryce Salvador 73 40.33%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2013, 01:10 PM
  #151
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 34,173
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I'm not missing any point. Right now the Devils are structured in a way that their window is going to close very shortly. The prospects you're talking about are not essential and will have minor impact. As I said in another post, if the scorer acquired is young (mid-20's) he is also a future asset. If the Devils don't add some offensive talent their going to have a team of Kovalchuk, Henrique, and Zajac and that's it before long. They need to deal from their defensive depth to balance out.
We definitely need to either give Urbom/Gelinas/Burlon and their ilk roster spots or trade them, because they're wasting assets, but I've never been fond of people saying "the window is open" or "the window is closed." I think that there is so rarely such thing as "a window", and that every team should be able to compete every year, and every team should be growing to compete in the future every year. Teams that sell the future for the present and teams that sell the present for the future end up going nowhere.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:13 PM
  #152
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The urn of Zubrus
Country: United States
Posts: 40,033
vCash: 500
With the Urbom talk going on I think he's pretty meh. He's okay, but I don't think he's gonna be a future need like Gelinas at least appears to be. I can see him actually being a number 7 for us like Mark Fraser.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:19 PM
  #153
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
the way to build those really talented teams is through successful drafting and development
the devils' strong suit

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:23 PM
  #154
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
We definitely need to either give Urbom/Gelinas/Burlon and their ilk roster spots or trade them, because they're wasting assets, but I've never been fond of people saying "the window is open" or "the window is closed." I think that there is so rarely such thing as "a window", and that every team should be able to compete every year, and every team should be growing to compete in the future every year. Teams that sell the future for the present and teams that sell the present for the future end up going nowhere.
I agree with you to an extent. The problem is that there is no bridge talent in the organization besides Kovy and Zajac. You can make a case for Henrique but he's still developing. If there isn't enough scoring talent the Devils will become non-contenders. Sure, they can play hard with what they have and go on a miracle run, but I'd rather see them add a couple of pieces to continue the organizations path. I'm so adamant about it now because this offseason they have a draft pick with value, cap space, and there will likely be some amnesties with talent out there. Next year there is no #1 pick and they'll have less cap space. Also, we could see some of these prospects play themselves out of trade value like Tedenby and Josefson. This is the offseason to set the team up for a run at it the next few years.

MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:23 PM
  #155
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
the devils' strong suit
I'm taking this as sarcasm given the last few years.

MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:33 PM
  #156
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 34,173
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I agree with you to an extent. The problem is that there is no bridge talent in the organization besides Kovy and Zajac. You can make a case for Henrique but he's still developing. If there isn't enough scoring talent the Devils will become non-contenders. Sure, they can play hard with what they have and go on a miracle run, but I'd rather see them add a couple of pieces to continue the organizations path. I'm so adamant about it now because this offseason they have a draft pick with value, cap space, and there will likely be some amnesties with talent out there. Next year there is no #1 pick and they'll have less cap space. Also, we could see some of these prospects play themselves out of trade value like Tedenby and Josefson. This is the offseason to set the team up for a run at it the next few years.
Well, I'm GMing the Devils right now in the current Mock Draft Board GM game, so you can take a look at what I did when the game is finished. I don't think we really fundamentally disagree on anything here, actually.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:36 PM
  #157
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Well, I'm GMing the Devils right now in the current Mock Draft Board GM game, so you can take a look at what I did when the game is finished. I don't think we really fundamentally disagree on anything here, actually.


What's the link?

MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
  #158
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 34,173
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post


What's the link?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Mock draft board. All the relevant threads are stickied at the moment.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:46 PM
  #159
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Mock draft board. All the relevant threads are stickied at the moment.
Thanks I'll check it out.

MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:53 PM
  #160
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Acquiring Bobby Ryan for #9+ does not put us in a better position than say Horton or Ryder for nothing.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:58 PM
  #161
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
Acquiring Bobby Ryan for #9+ does not put us in a better position than say Horton or Ryder for nothing.
Sign Horton AND trade for Ryan or another winger.

I'd argue that Ryan is the better choice considering he's scored 30 goals multiple times and is younger than both, significantly in the case of Ryder.


Last edited by MichaelJ: 05-31-2013 at 02:32 PM.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
  #162
tsipka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Sign Horton AND trade for Ryan or another winger.

I'd argue that Ryan is the better choice considering he's scored 30 goals multiple times and is younger than both, significantly in the case of Ryder.
"AND", you say? Yeah I would like that, but I dont think Ryan worth that package.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:04 PM
  #163
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The urn of Zubrus
Country: United States
Posts: 40,033
vCash: 500
Hopefully someone other than Ryan, preferably a Euro.

Ryan would only bolt to Philly in 2 years to ''Go home''. I'm being half serious at least.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:05 PM
  #164
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
"AND", you say? Yeah I would like that, but I dont think Ryan worth that package.
Yes...AND....lets see Lou get aggressive.

MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:07 PM
  #165
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Hopefully someone other than Ryan, preferably a Euro.

Ryan would only bolt to Philly in 2 years to ''Go home''. I'm being half serious at least.
That is a concern especially after Parise. Hopefully North Jersey is close enough to Cherry Hill and being on a winning Devils team will dull the pull of his favorite childhood team.

MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:09 PM
  #166
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Amnesty Volch remove Salvador's captaincy and I'm fine with it.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
  #167
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Hopefully someone other than Ryan, preferably a Euro.

Ryan would only bolt to Philly in 2 years to ''Go home''. I'm being half serious at least.
I feel he'd bolt to Philly, I don't trust any of the players anymore.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:33 PM
  #168
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The urn of Zubrus
Country: United States
Posts: 40,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
I feel he'd bolt to Philly, I don't trust any of the players anymore.
I don't either sadly. One thing I hope everyone is thankful for is Marty's loyalty, even if he is in his twilight. He was a BIG time Canadiens fan, but never jumped ship when he had the chance. I bet even if Montreal was the team offering him that contract last year and not Toronto or Chicago he probably still wouldn't have taken it. Unless Lou told him to get out of here or offered him some stupid lowball offer.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
  #169
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I don't either sadly. One thing I hope everyone is thankful for is Marty's loyalty, even if he is in his twilight. He was a BIG time Canadiens fan, but never jumped ship when he had the chance. I bet even if Montreal was the team offering him that contract last year and not Toronto or Chicago he probably still wouldn't have taken it. Unless Lou told him to get out of here or offered him some stupid lowball offer.
I agree Brodeur has been extremely loyal and never got that crazy pay day he could have commanded, sadly, no one seems to have any character anymore.


Last edited by njdevilsjds: 05-31-2013 at 04:05 PM.
njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
  #170
Bleedred
Waive Bone Dust
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The urn of Zubrus
Country: United States
Posts: 40,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
I agree Brodeur has been extremely loyal and never god that crazy pay day he could have commanded, sadly, no one seems to have any character anymore.
Nope, seems to be all about money.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:06 PM
  #171
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays
 
njdevilsjds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Nope, seems to be all about money.
Kesler might be the one guy who had the take less to make the team better around him mentality.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:10 PM
  #172
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:
 
Hockey Sports Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,275
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
Kesler might be the one guy who had the take less to make the team better around him mentality.
Vancouver's been able to pull that with a lot of guys. Hamhuis and Garrison are both recent acquisitions that took below market value, Burrows took a contract so cheap (the first time around) that the PA got mad at him.

Honestly I think that's been one of Lou's strengths throughout his tenure. He kept Fayne cheap, he got Larsson to give up the bonuses, Zajac was making under 4 million (!) until he was 28, and of course the whole Brodeur business.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 01:46 AM
  #173
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
would you guys take brad richards on our team for the right price?

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 09:07 AM
  #174
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,127
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
in a second

åboriginal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:48 AM
  #175
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 42,882
vCash: 500
I wouldnt

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.