HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Todd McLellan (Mod: Extended Per Dreger)

Old
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Squeeven

vCash: 500
I like the Tmac extension. I don't think it was his fault that we got eliminated, lack of forward depth was what did that.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Damn it.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
@DarrenDreger

Wakka Wakka!
Expected this.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 12:33 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Hopefully he doesn't fall back into bad systems, he improved quite a bit by the end of the season.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

What a joke. It's one thing that they weren't going to can him, but a whole different beast that they are giving him an extension. This is still the coach who seems to lack any ability to make in-game strategic adjustments (or I should say, good ones), and is not that great at game to game adjustments (but better than his in-game adjustments).

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Brodie Brazil ‏@brodiebrazilCSN 8m

McLellan is one of the most thoughtful and cerebral coaches I've ever seen operate. Work ethic, hours he & staff puts in are unmatched

I am so happy

If you understood everything I said, youíd be me - Miles Davis

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:32 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Doesn't every coach basically have the problem of not being able to make in-game system changes? I don't really see why this is a thing to complain about. Every time I see a person complaining about their coach, this is basically one of the big reason.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:41 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
What a joke. It's one thing that they weren't going to can him, but a whole different beast that they are giving him an extension. This is still the coach who seems to lack any ability to make in-game strategic adjustments (or I should say, good ones), and is not that great at game to game adjustments (but better than his in-game adjustments).
Well, many times I think his ability to make in-game adjustments is hampered by the players he has. They don't seem to adjust well on the fly. He has definitely adjusted lines and strategies during games and in-between games, but there is only so much a coach can do...

I've often rallied about this issue that the Sharks have. The core of the group "likes to play a certain way". You see some adjustments here and there; Thornton improving defensively, Pavelski in different roles, Burns as a forward, Logan Couture. Too much of that is a recipe for stagnation.

Also, a lot of it is the one-on-one matchups. For example, when Marleau is getting shutdown by a team's defense, the guy who is best going to resolve that issue is Marleau. TMac can give suggestions, but Marleau is the one who has to internally change the way he plays.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
vilpertti

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Doesn't every coach basically have the problem of not being able to make in-game system changes? I don't really see why this is a thing to complain about. Every time I see a person complaining about their coach, this is basically one of the big reason.
Exactly.

It's because in NHL12 it's easy to change things as you go, so of course real life must be the same. People complained with Wilson, Sutter never had anything but one system ever and before that there was no internet.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

I have no problems with TMc getting an extension, and even DW won a little bit of respect from me this season.

Just need the players to execute when it's time. This season's failures lies completely on the player's shoulders IMO.

Paka Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yup only hfboards members know how to make in game changes, in a game that changes every second that it is played. No 2 shifts will ever be played the same, heck no 2 seconds in a game will be played the same.

Fans can blame the coach for bad line combo's, who they play in certain situations. And the basic systematic problems.

But anything to do with in game adjustments basically have to come from the players them selves.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
this and not embracing youth fast enough are the two complaints levied at every single coach in the league.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
this and not embracing youth fast enough are the two complaints levied at every single coach in the league.
Implementing youth is less about the coach as it is with the GM/owner. Not to many GM's will allow a younger player to play that will make a big money player not play (which means they are allowing money to be wasted on the bench).

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 01:59 PM
do0glas

the youth thing is overblown because id expect a lot of senior level contracts have some type of guaranteed playing time. youngsters get in when they get in.

id argue that its more relying on players past their sale by date. than embracing youth during the season.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:12 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Tmac has earned another couple of years given his record. People are so quick to fire coaches. We all want a Stanley Cup, but 2 conference finals, a President's trophy and a real strong showing last year is a pretty darn good accomplishment for a first time NHL head coach in his first 5 years.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:16 PM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

He had 4 games to watch to see Pavelski on line 2 wasn't working as well as Wingels on line 2 did but he still kept that awful line together, he has had Demers' entire career to play a proven top-4 defenseman but he never has.

He's not a good coach.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

I'm ambivalent about this. On one hand I think TMac deserves another shot given his track record, but at the same time I tend to disagree with his lineups and strategies (ie. benching Demers over Murray)

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:34 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Good. It wasn't the coach's fault we didn't win.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:44 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
I'm ambivalent about this. On one hand I think TMac deserves another shot given his track record, but at the same time I tend to disagree with his lineups and strategies (ie. benching Demers over Murray)
I think the Murray over Demers thing is kinda blurry. Almost every time Demers played, he had more minutes than Murray. You could argue that it was a GM decision to play Murray to try to increase his trade value but then Demers had to go and injure himself again and thats why we had Hannan playing.

I do agree that his lineups and general strategies over the last season and most of this season were wacky but it's strange that he tried to go with a style of play that would set himself up for failure when he had something good going for the team several years in a row.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Lol seriously. People act like McLellan is the only coach juggling lines.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Lol seriously. People act like McLellan is the only coach juggling lines.
The reason why they lost to LA was because he didn't juggle his lines for game 7. They want to use Torres and Havlat out as an excuse for it but they had other options and didn't have it in them to try it. So they went with a losing setup and lost. I'm not surprised he got extended. As long as DW is in charge and he buys that excuse, see no reason why he'd can McLellan. Neither of them should be here at this point though.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Evincar
I have found the way

Im kinda pissed that he got extended. I really hope DW signs some UFAs to make another run at the Cup.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:43 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Tmac has earned another couple of years given his record. People are so quick to fire coaches. We all want a Stanley Cup, but 2 conference finals, a President's trophy and a real strong showing last year is a pretty darn good accomplishment for a first time NHL head coach in his first 5 years.
That's one way to look at it.

Here's another:

2010 WCF: Sharks arguably outplay Hawks in 3 out of 4 games (Games 1, 3, and 4). Sharks swept.
2011 WCF: Sharks outplay Canucks in 4 out of 5 games (Games 1, 3, 4, and 5). Sharks lose in 5.
2013 WCSF: Sharks outplay Kings in 3 out of 4 games in LA (Games 1, 2, 7), or 6 out of 7 games total (all games except Game 5). Sharks lose in 7, 0-4 in LA.

Time and time again the TMac-led Sharks teams outplay their opponents in the playoffs and come up on the short end of the stick.

And if time and time again you have a team that is outplaying their opponents, but not consistently winning those games where you outplay your opponents, you have a problem. And arguably not a player problem (since you are, after all, outplaying the competition). It's something else.

I'm not blaming any one particular series on TMac, but there is a pattern here, and in sports this kind of pattern gets you canned (Especially when you combine it with 1-7 vs. Blues in 2012). In the Sharks organization, it gets you an extension.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:47 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
That's one way to look at it.

Here's another:

2010 WCF: Sharks arguably outplay Hawks in 3 out of 4 games (Games 1, 3, and 4). Sharks swept.
2011 WCF: Sharks outplay Canucks in 4 out of 5 games (Games 1, 3, 4, and 5). Sharks lose in 5.
2013 WCSF: Sharks outplay Kings in 3 out of 4 games in LA (Games 1, 2, 7), or 6 out of 7 games total (all games except Game 5). Sharks lose in 7, 0-4 in LA.

Time and time again the TMac-led Sharks teams outplay their opponents in the playoffs and come up on the short end of the stick.

And if time and time again you have a team that is outplaying their opponents, but not consistently winning those games where you outplay your opponents, you have a problem. And arguably not a player problem (since you are, after all, outplaying the competition). It's something else.

I'm not blaming any one particular series on TMac, but there is a pattern here, and in sports this kind of pattern gets you canned. In the Sharks organization, it gets you an extension.
Actually your argument hurts you here. If your team is outplaying the opponent then the scheme isn't what's wrong, it's the players themselves who are not executing fully. If you're putting players in positions to do well then you've done a pretty damn good job as the coach. If the Sharks have outplayed opponents but still lost then they were put in a position to do well, played well, but just didn't execute well enough to score more goals than the other team.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

Good for Todd. He's not the best coach in the world, but there's no one out there better.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote