HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sharks Offseason

Old
05-29-2013, 08:41 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Perron, Schmaltz, + for Thornton?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Done. I'd do that in a heartbeat, the Leafs need another D-man and a number 1 center. If the Sharks start to re-tool, I think it's time Nonis and the Leafs took the next step in this puzzle and gave up something for a Thornton or Boyle.
Boyle is 36 years old making 6.6 mill and is a UFA in a year. He isn't worth our 1st, even though its late.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Phil68

To Florida, Joe Thorton for Weiss, Fleischmann, and Florida's 1st round! Would you do it?

Phil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:51 AM
WSS11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
To Florida, Joe Thorton for Weiss, Fleischmann, and Florida's 1st round! Would you do it?
This years first? I would do Thornton+ for the first alone.

WSS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:55 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
A bluechip prospect + 1st would be a good start.
I'm assuming it would end there, as well.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:57 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Done. I'd do that in a heartbeat, the Leafs need another D-man and a number 1 center. If the Sharks start to re-tool, I think it's time Nonis and the Leafs took the next step in this puzzle and gave up something for a Thornton or Boyle.
Wow. Another Toronto fan wanting to trade away a 1st round pick for a guy who's going to be 37 next season.

That's the type of trade you make when you're already a contender or a borderline one. We're not. This is classic sacrifice the future just so we can be marginally better at the present. Bad idea.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
That isn't a serious offer, neh? Sharks jump all over that.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Analyzer

I'd say the Sharks have about 2 years left. After that, they'll start to trade away Thornton, Marleau, etc.

A team lead by Vlasic, Burns, Couture might drop a bit, but won't go full terrible.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:21 AM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Wow. Another Toronto fan wanting to trade away a 1st round pick for a guy who's going to be 37 next season.

That's the type of trade you make when you're already a contender or a borderline one. We're not. This is classic sacrifice the future just so we can be marginally better at the present. Bad idea.
Yea, no chance Nonis and co trade our 1st this year for Dan Boyle, who's getting way too old for our core, is a rental, and isn't an ideal partner for Phaneuf anyways. It's simply not a necessity. Only partner we'd be interested in is Brent Burns but the price may be too high.

As for Thornton, it's perfectly reasonable for Shark fans to ask for Rielly but I don't think Nonis would do that. Thornton is a great luxury to have but I think at this point, Nonis would rather stand pat and stick with the status quo to see if Kadri can fill that role and/or sign guys like Weiss/a bought out Richards without giving up that asset.

Realistically, the most we can offer a 33 year old Joe (whom would a rental for us, although I'd be confident that he'd resign here) would be something like:

Grabo + Mac/Bozak's rights + our 1st this year + Biggs/Percy/Colborne/Frattin/Finn

I think the only scenario where Nonis would give up Rielly would be if Burns was added to Joe, I still don't think he'd do it but we'd also have to add salary back in that scenario.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Sharks should trade Thorton , can you imagine! The Kings would eat the sharks for dinner without Thorton centering their first line. No way they trade Jumbo Joe as long as LA has that depth up the middle.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:37 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
Sharks should trade Thorton , can you imagine! The Kings would eat the sharks for dinner without Thorton centering their first line. No way they trade Jumbo Joe as long as LA has that depth up the middle.
The Sharks don't care about that one team, they might be re-building soon.
And thorton choked anyway

MarleauApologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

You better care, new alignment next year bud, you need to get past us again if you want to go anywhere deep in the playoffs. Your worst nightmare just came true if Thorton is gone. Thorton was your best player in this series besides Niemi. One more year till your "core" reaches UFA status. that's when u will blow it up.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
You better care, new alignment next year bud, you need to get past us again if you want to go anywhere deep in the playoffs. Your worst nightmare just came true if Thorton is gone. Thorton was your best player in this series besides Niemi. One more year till your "core" reaches UFA status. that's when u will blow it up.
This.

The only players the Sharks will look to move right now is Havlat or Boyle. But they may hang on to both of them.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
murdock1116

Although, if you were going to trade Jumbo, St. Louis as a destination makes a lot of sense for both teams.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Arrch

Quote:

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Ricky Bobby

I said it a few months ago and got blasted for it by Sharks fans but the Sharks need to get rid of Havlat (even if means just giving him away).

The biggest benefit of trading Havlat will be cap space but the Sharks would get little to nothing in return cause he's overpaid for what he now brings (or doesn't bring) to the ice at a 5 million cap hit.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I said it a few months ago and got blasted for it by Sharks fans but the Sharks need to get rid of Havlat (even if means just giving him away).

The biggest benefit of trading Havlat will be cap space but the Sharks would get little to nothing in return cause he's overpaid for what he now brings (or doesn't bring) to the ice at a 5 million cap hit.
There is a ton of discussion about this on the shark board, but, haven't seen anyway the team gets better? Keep in mind, the Sharks haven't acquired a top 6 forward in...god have we ever. Havlat, Heatley, Selanne, Nolan, Ricci, Ekman, Sundstrom, all trades.

Best forward free agent forward signings since '98:
S. Thornton
S. Matteau
Malhotra
Roenick
Gomez
Handzus
Grier
Nichol
Mayers

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:03 PM
MardocAgain

From what I understand Marleau's wife has no intention of letting him leave SJ. I think with the money he's already made, he'd more likely stay or cheap than leave for money / cup opportunities. Just my gut instinct.

MardocAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:08 PM
MardocAgain

I honestly think after their current contracts, Thornton, Marleau, and Boyle will resign much cheaper to take on secondary roles with the team. All 3 have made it pretty clear they do not want to leave SJ, the city, not the team. I don't think they want to uproot their families...but HF never considers the fact that players have outside circumstances.

MardocAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

Having cap space isn't a benefit if you're not going to use it. We don't have use for it because we can't sign top-6 free agents and don't have the assets to trade for one. If by some miracle we manage to acquire one, then buyout Havlat at that point, not before it.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:38 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandLarseny View Post
What would it take to get Wingels to Edmonton?
Wingels is one of our budding young players. I'm guessing one of our only available/tradable forwards is Havlat.

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Perron, Schmaltz, + for Thornton?
Pavelski for Oshie?

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Sharks4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Yea, no chance Nonis and co trade our 1st this year for Dan Boyle, who's getting way too old for our core, is a rental, and isn't an ideal partner for Phaneuf anyways. It's simply not a necessity. Only partner we'd be interested in is Brent Burns but the price may be too high.

As for Thornton, it's perfectly reasonable for Shark fans to ask for Rielly but I don't think Nonis would do that. Thornton is a great luxury to have but I think at this point, Nonis would rather stand pat and stick with the status quo to see if Kadri can fill that role and/or sign guys like Weiss/a bought out Richards without giving up that asset.

Realistically, the most we can offer a 33 year old Joe (whom would a rental for us, although I'd be confident that he'd resign here) would be something like:

Grabo + Mac/Bozak's rights + our 1st this year + Biggs/Percy/Colborne/Frattin/Finn

I think the only scenario where Nonis would give up Rielly would be if Burns was added to Joe, I still don't think he'd do it but we'd also have to add salary back in that scenario.
While I agree with everything else, this statement sounds like someone drank the koolaid (not to be rude, just a little far fetched).

Sharks4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Pavelski for Oshie?
Don't need Pavelski. We need Thornton.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 02:08 PM