HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What were you expecting!!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 03:35 PM
lazek

vCash: 500
What were you expecting!!!

At the end of last year's season and during summer we traded, bought or lost five veteran forwards with little or no return. Those veterans are : Doug Gilmour, Oleg Petrov, Randy Mckay, Mariusz Czerkawski and Bill Lindsay. Added, those players gave 251 games & 88 points to
the CH for last year. What have we done to replace them? Nothing, nada, niet!!! Oh yes, we signed Dagenais, big deal. It's not a choice for this organisation to do a youth movement, they're forced to do it. You expect us to win?

What we have to replace them are unexperienced, error and injury prone players who are seasons away form being established NHL players and not all of them will become one. But that's what we wanted right? Get rid of the old players and let play our young guns. Our wish was
partly granted so we shouldn't expect the CH to win right now and during at least this season. Ribeiro, Ward, Hossa, Ryder are not proven NHLers right now, maybe in the future but not right now. What we'll see this season is a team in development not a winning one.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:40 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazek
At the end of last year's season and during summer we traded, bought or lost five veteran forwards with little or no return. Those veterans are : Doug Gilmour, Oleg Petrov, Randy Mckay, Mariusz Czerkawski and Bill Lindsay. Added, those players gave 251 games & 88 points to
the CH for last year. What have we done to replace them? Nothing, nada, niet!!! Oh yes, we signed Dagenais, big deal. It's not a choice for this organisation to do a youth movement, they're forced to do it. You expect us to win?

What we have to replace them are unexperienced, error and injury prone players who are seasons away form being established NHL players and not all of them will become one. But that's what we wanted right? Get rid of the old players and let play our young guns. Our wish was
partly granted so we shouldn't expect the CH to win right now and during at least this season. Ribeiro, Ward, Hossa, Ryder are not proven NHLers right now, maybe in the future but not right now. What we'll see this season is a team in development not a winning one.
Yeah.. we're going to lose the entire season. We will bottom feed the league. To be honest with you, neither you nor I can predict whether this will be a winning team or not. On paper, we are not a strong contender but a solid year from Theo and some young players and we might be right in the middle of things. This can be said about any team really.. I mean, if you don't get a strong year from your goaltender, you probably won't get very far.

The fact that all 3 preseason games so far were only lost by ONE GOAL leads me to believe that we have as much of a chance as any other team right now. Let's not overdramatize these results, shall we?

Old
09-24-2003, 03:44 PM
BigM1ke

Look at last year's Wild.. They were a bunch of nobodys and they made it to the semi-finals!!

I'm not saying we will have a winning team for sure... But with good coaching and if the players play with their hearts, we can hope positive things to happen this year, we never know!!

Old
09-24-2003, 03:44 PM
sundaystar

Quote:

i agree , i don't know why people are expecting us to be a winning team. Why would any1 want us to finish 8th is beyond me. Quebec, TO, and the red wings all sucked for years. Look at them now they are really good teams. Give us 2-3 years and we will start to turn things around. And for you fans who can't stand losing to TO don't worry in 2-3 years TO will have to start dismantling because they are getting old.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:47 PM
sundaystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
Look at last year's Wild.. They were a bunch of nobodys and they made it to the semi-finals!!

I'm not saying we will have a winning team for sure... But with good coaching and if the players play with their hearts, we can hope positive things to happen this year, we never know!!

I would not want a team like the wild but i would rather a team like AV, Red wings because i prefer their style of play. The devils didn't even sell out their arena in the playoffs bc of boring hockey.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

I'm expecting them to play hard EVERY night, game in and game out. Show hussle and hard work not matter what the score. Show that they want this team to win and will do what it takes to get it done. I can go on, but I will start getting pissed cause I know it's not going to happen. But on the bright side, we'll get another kick ass pick in the draft, and most of the overpaid crappy vets will be gone gone gone.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:19 PM
GilleZ

All I'm expecting is some HOCKEY!!!!

I want to see hockey, I want to see, passes, goals, body check, bad calls, I what to scream at the referies, I what to boo Brisebois... heeeee, no dont boo brisebois, hehe. I just want them to win or lose.

Thats what I want right now.

Go Habs Go!!!

Plz dont boo Bresebois.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:43 PM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
The fact that all 3 preseason games so far were only lost by ONE GOAL
Isn`t it the whole last season situation ?!

Old
09-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Habs

Quote:

Addition by subtraction, no big losses. Gilmour, McKay,Chow and Lindsay were doing nothing, or thinking of being somewhere else anyways.

Gotta go through a little hell to get to heaven!

Old
09-24-2003, 10:59 PM
championhabs

I'm happy for what the Habs did in the off-season with the hiring of Gainey. Sure the games are won on the ice but alot of teams successes start in the management postion. Now with Gainey we have a solid future in this postion. I personally believe we will not make the playoffs this year and this pisses me off but what can you do. If it takes a couple of years for our players to develop than so be it. Sure you want to win all the time but it doesn't always happen this way. The best thing we can do as Habs fans is strongly support the team win or lose. We will be a strong contender in 4-5 years with our current youth development and the signing of some free agents down the road. I just get upset when fans say we got Gainey and he's done dick. What do you want him to do? Just go sign every free agent thats available and go on an all out trading spree. This is not PS2 you know. Please give Gainey some time. Any thoughts on my post?

Old
09-24-2003, 11:22 PM
Marksman

I prefer losing one goal games over losing 0-9 like Bruins did. Potvin let 7 goals on 30 shot and the Bruins as a team let almost 50 shots by Wings. How is that possible? Its only a preseason. Teams have different schedules, there is no common pattern, its coach decision. Canadiens seem to be slow starters - Leafs, for example, started playing little earlier. Julien wanted to brush up Habs defensive tactics first, because he propably saw that was even bigger problem than scoring. I dont mind that at all. I dont think they've had much power-play practice yet propably because the cast is still changing with young players given time to showcase and evaluated.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:45 AM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
Addition by subtraction, no big losses. Gilmour, McKay,Chow and Lindsay were doing nothing, or thinking of being somewhere else anyways.

Gotta go through a little hell to get to heaven!
McKay and Gilmour was old, it is the only two who was ok to leave. Czerkawski and Lindsay did not have a real chance with the habs... And Petrov is missing me so much

Old
09-25-2003, 04:50 AM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Souray + Komisarek in - Traverse + Dykhuis out = metamorphosed defense

Ward in - Czerkawski out = BIG improvment

Any top rookie in - Mckay out = BIG improvement

Ribeiro as our second line center is going to be a major improvement too... Ribs is finnaly happened and there is a great chimestry with Zednik... We finally will have a nice second line, an above average one IMO if ever Hossa progress well...

In the net we are a force...

Claude Julien's system + the pride and credibility Gainey will bring = possibility of great improvement + great work ethic every game...

Most of us underrate alot Jason Ward, he could jump on the first line quickly if ever Audette struggle or does'nt bring consistency, I think he could fit very well with Koivu!

You really underrate our team...

If the right move or done (Perreault traded mainly), the sixth place in the East is'nt unaccessible IMO!
And you really overrate rookies... I remember one season when Zoltok was the no.1 line center and the team was packed with unexperimented rookies. This was one bad season to forget but I didn't (you probably did!). And maybe you will remember this season, experience is never to be taken away.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:29 AM
Corey

I'm surprised at Montreal, who has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the Habs organization. It's only 3 games into the preseason, and he should be aware that Julien is tinkering with the lineup and putting out the oddest combinations imaginable on the forward lines. Many of these players have never even seen each other before, much less played together. It's too early to rant.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:13 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I'm surprised at Montreal, who has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the Habs organization. It's only 3 games into the preseason, and he should be aware that Julien is tinkering with the lineup and putting out the oddest combinations imaginable on the forward lines. Many of these players have never even seen each other before, much less played together. It's too early to rant.

It's left over from last year. It was bad enough when I had to watch the days of Whitehall, Lind, Bashkirov, Wilkie, Asham, etc.. but seeing Audette float, Brezzy make crisp clean passes to the other team, Perreault getting knocked over by the wind of a player passing by, Theodore getting shelled, Dykhuis throwing the puck off the glass over and over, Traverse and those thunderous hip checks, Dackell losing the puck, etc...

Oh well at least there's Markov and Komo to watch!

Old
09-25-2003, 01:09 PM
8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
It was bad enough when I had to watch the days of Whitehall, Lind, Bashkirov, Wilkie, Asham, etc..
At least someone didn't forget those hard times... What a pain it was. And this year's season look just like that on paper.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8b
At least someone didn't forget those hard times... What a pain it was. And this year's season look just like that on paper.

The worst part during those years, it seemed like we lost to the leafs 6-1 every time we played them. It was only 2 or so times, but that was too painful to watch, but of course I did anyway, and I'll continue to do so. (got a Habs logo tattoo on my back in '92, I watch no matter what )

Old
09-25-2003, 10:11 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
It's left over from last year. It was bad enough when I had to watch the days of Whitehall, Lind, Bashkirov, Wilkie, Asham, etc.. but seeing Audette float, Brezzy make crisp clean passes to the other team, Perreault getting knocked over by the wind of a player passing by, Theodore getting shelled, Dykhuis throwing the puck off the glass over and over, Traverse and those thunderous hip checks, Dackell losing the puck, etc...

Oh well at least there's Markov and Komo to watch!
At least take Asham off of your list. The kid was exactly what we needed.

Old
09-26-2003, 10:40 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Not then he wasn't. He wasn't ready for the NHL and couldn't bring it every night. I liked Asham, but IMO, management made a mistake bringing him up too early. He was leading Quebec in scoring when called up, but he wasn't ready to play in the NHL night in and night out. When he went back down for the playoffs, there was a lot of talk about him having a big head and not working hard for Quebec.

But it matters little, can't change it now.

Old
09-26-2003, 12:05 PM
8b

Quote:
The kid was not really good at that time, as many of the young players when they begin in NHL. You see, Asham is a good example why counting on rookies is not good: now he is a good player and is he playing for the habs? no. How many out of the rookies that will play this season and will not really show great skills and results that will someday become good players playing for other teams? Many IMO. And the chances are that not so many will become good players.

What Asham became is what the habs need now, but back when he was a rookie with the habs he was not so great...

Closed Thread