HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Carolina Hurricanes New Jerseys (Sweaters)

Old
06-04-2013, 09:35 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Carolina Hurricanes New Jerseys (Sweaters)

The Hurricanes' jersey reveal is in about 90 minutes.

Business-related, they did a brilliant job building publicity with their Instagram-based preview campaign. They released one teaser image per day for 10 days, and generated a 20% increase in their Instagram following during that period (which if I'm doing the math right means over 2,000 new followers). They ended up releasing a "bonus" image due to popular demand.

While it lasts, see the campaign banner page here: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/
And the Instagram page here: http://instagram.com/NHLCanes#

This topic has generated quite a bit of discussion on our board during a period when there was little else to discuss. Very well executed by the Canes marketing staff, particularly the photo work which tended to raise more questions than answers.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The Hurricanes' jersey reveal is in about 90 minutes.

Business-related, they did a brilliant job building publicity with their Instagram-based preview campaign. They released one teaser image per day for 10 days, and generated a 20% increase in their Instagram following during that period (which if I'm doing the math right means over 2,000 new followers). They ended up releasing a "bonus" image due to popular demand.

While it lasts, see the campaign banner page here: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/
And the Instagram page here: http://instagram.com/NHLCanes#

This topic has generated quite a bit of discussion on our board during a period when there was little else to discuss. Very well executed by the Canes marketing staff, particularly the photo work which tended to raise more questions than answers.
The guy who runs Icethetics, his take on this 'bonus' image, was that there was some mounting backlash against the apparent removal of the hurricane warning symbol from the uniform. Do you get that from the Hurricanes board?

I always thought the hurricane warning all over the jersey did look a little 'busy', but at least it was unique, and made perfect sense for the team.

I am looking forward to the reveal (though not as much as I am Dallas). I like the simplistic direction they seem to be taking.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:12 AM
RAgIn

Re: Hurricanes.

Kinda looks like a Hockey Canada theme jersey. I like it though. Very simple.

RAgIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgIn View Post

The white one immedeately brought to my mind Habs jerseys. Pretty similar. But I mean there's only so much they could do if they were going to maintain the logo and colours.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
The guy who runs Icethetics, his take on this 'bonus' image, was that there was some mounting backlash against the apparent removal of the hurricane warning symbol from the uniform. Do you get that from the Hurricanes board?

There are mixed feelings. Some people hated the flags, some people loved 'em. I would tend to agree with the Icethetics guy that it's probably a way of keeping them for posterity without really keeping them.

Fairly pleased with the new look. It'll take some getting used to but they didn't screw it up.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:37 AM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

What a boring, bland set.

La Grosse Tendresse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Meh...it looks fine, but nothing exciting. Boring is better than busy, regardless.

I wasn't too hyped for the Canes unis anyway. The new Dallas uniform is the main course.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
What a boring, bland set.
Yeah, certainly they should have had apron strings and weird blocks of color along the sides and sleeves.

Actually, every uniform that has those sucks donkey balls, so no. Simpler is usually much, much better.

I like the new Hurricane unis.

King_Stannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgIn View Post

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...d-dallas-stars
Yeah, that's what SN said.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...anes-uniforms/
PHT's take

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Well, I mean, Anaheim itself is like barely a city. Both are Orange County's teams, and Anaheim is only 10% of that.
Los Angeles Kings play in Los Angeles county, not the OC.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:50 PM
nyrmetros

The RBK jerseys still look like crap.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 07:11 AM
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys

Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
I hate the Stars & hated the "star" jerseys (although I'd admit they're well designed, I just hated it cos I hate the Stars) but I think this is an enormous improvement over the current set. The black logoless jerseys are devoid of any character & these give the team some character again. Sure it's a new direction but it'll give them a distinctiveness they've lacked.

It'll give them more personality for me to hate on ice

The 'Canes jerseys... meh. Same thing really; but without the flag motiff that helped set them apart. Should have kept that IMO.

not a trapdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:22 AM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4600
Canes new jerseys kind of suck. The white is meh, and the red one is just bad. They took everything that was unique about their brand and did away with it. No hurricane warning flag stripe (I know its on the inside of the collar now, but no one can see it) and the great alt shoulder logo and silver highlights are gone too. White jersey looks like team Canada. The red jersey looks like they did the opposite of the Lightning and put the Red Wings colors on a Maple Leafs jersey. Boring, bland, and just unimaginative all around. Also the logo is too high up on the jersey now. I hate when jersey sets don't match BTW.

As for Dallas, they ALMOST got it right. A few minor tweaks and it's a homerun. Three changes I'd make:

1. Move that cool TX state logo to the jersey shoulders and do away with the silly roundel.

2. Outline the names and numbers in black and/or silver. When you go to the trouble of outlining and beveling the logo on the jersey, you need to carry that through to the numbers and letters and make them somewhat 3 dimensional. Otherwise it looks like you got the customization done at a cheap sporting goods store.

3. Green home helmets. I've seen a lot of comparisons to the green jerseys looking like the Blackhawks St. Patty's Day jerseys. This would help further differentiate the home look from the Hawks. Not to mention, green is their true color, so own it!

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Canes new jerseys kind of suck. The white is meh, and the red one is just bad. They took everything that was unique about their brand and did away with it. No hurricane warning flag stripe (I know its on the inside of the collar now, but no one can see it) and the great alt shoulder logo and silver highlights are gone too.
Those EXACT aspects of the old jerseys were a lightning rod for criticism, pretty much up until noon yesterday. HF has done its predictable about-face, but I don't think the public was quite so enamored with that mid-1990s striping scheme.

Quote:
Also the logo is too high up on the jersey now.
It's in the exact same place.

Old
06-05-2013, 01:39 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

It's in the exact same place.
the logo is not only smaller, it's centered higher up on the jersey.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 01:50 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Def looks smaller

Last edited by Fugu: 08-20-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: image distorts page
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:07 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Def looks smaller

Montreal's logo looks like a toilet seat, the hurricanes' logo looks the water circling inside of one. Since we are already playing 85 outdoor games next season, maybe the two teams could play an outdoor game in Montreal, it can be called the Toilet Bowl.

Good for the Whalercanes for finally getting rid of those ugly squares along the bottom though. Definately an improvement.

CrazyMonkey1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey1208 View Post
Montreal's logo looks like a toilet seat, the hurricanes' logo looks the water circling inside of one. Since we are already playing 85 outdoor games next season, maybe the two teams could play an outdoor game in Montreal, it can be called the Toilet Bowl.

Good for the Whalercanes for finally getting rid of those ugly squares along the bottom though. Definately an improvement.
You want to know what's really crazy? When you look at the Hurricanes logo it also looks like this

06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

On the Canes, I like the white but dislike the red.. Preferred the older red ones and never had a problem with them

On the Dallas jersey, I like both, but the home green especially.. That vibrant green will look pop on HDTV and in the crowd.. I like the logo too although I'm not crazy about it

All I can say is, I'm happy the Devils started with a great logo and jersey.. Keeps the brand consistent through generations

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 02:55 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
You want to know what's really crazy? When you look at the Hurricanes logo it also looks like this
Funny, those hurricanes in the real hurricane images look round. The Carolina Hurricanes looks far more oval than round.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-05-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old
06-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Brodie
it's iggy szn

thank god the tropical storm flag is gone, I was always embarrassed that they could fail that hard

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
CrazyMonkey1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
thank god the tropical storm flag is gone, I was always embarrassed that they could fail that hard
About time someone mentioned this. It was like they downgraded themselves

Old
06-05-2013, 03:13 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey1208 View Post
Funny, those hurricanes in the real hurricane images look round. The Carolina Hurricanes looks far more oval than round.
I assume the concept of artistic license is a foreign one for you? If this is the case, please let me know when you've located a red spoked wheel with a wing attached to it, a bipedal skating penguin holding a hockey skate, or a black shark chomping through a hockey stick.

garnetpalmetto is online now   Reply With Quote