HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 9.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Skill, speed and power. What a player he could become.

Apparently he has a rep for not being in tremendous shape, so the combine tests tomorrow will be telling. I sort of hope he does poorly so his ''fall'' can continue.
Same here. I was impressed every time I saw him play this year. Plays a simple game that translates well from what I've seen.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
My one concern about Mantha is that we're missing the forest for the trees - picking apart a 6'4" guy who scored 50 goals only to be saying in a few years, "how did we pass up a 6'4" guy who scored 50 goals?".

I mean, we're picking at 25, not 1. Anybody's going to have some warts if you look close enough.
In the case of Eric Chouinard, I wish we had taken a pass. Can Mantha skate ? Chouinard was another one of those ...he will improve his foot speed dudes that never did.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Dauphin.. a lot of people alluding to interest by the Habs for this player.. MTL 2nd or do we have to use one of our high 2nds? I don't like spending a high 2nd on him, I think it's too soon.
Duphin is too good to pass up at #34 and 36. Potential #2 center with excellent hockey sense.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
In the case of Eric Chouinard, I wish we had taken a pass. Can Mantha skate ? Chouinard was another one of those ...he will improve his foot speed dudes that never did.
Yeah, Mantha's skating is not an issue.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:59 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
As many are speculating, this draft is supposed to be pretty deep and there should be a lot of talent to be found in the second round.

I am kicking around ideas as to perhaps trading out of the first round and picking up an additional 2nd rounder and maybe a third rounder. If there really aren't any standout guys at our 25th pick, how you would guys feel about trading back in the draft to get Timmins more picks?

I think Dallas could be a good trading partner.

25th Overall

27th - 30th Overall (Boston's Pick)
54th Overall (Vancouver's Pick)

The only other team I could see this happening with is Buffalo, but we would have to move all the way back to 38th.

38th Overall
52nd Overall
69th Overall

25th Overall
86th Overall

Of course all this would be a non-starter if someone Timmins really covets is sitting there at #25. I just think we could do really well with all those seconds and a few thirds in our back pocket if we want to jump up a few spots to grab someone in the second.

Edit: Pure fantasy land here but we could make the trade with the Sabres, have the 34th, 36th, 38th, 52nd, 55th, 69th and 71st picks. Then package 52+71 to get up into the 30s and 55+69 to get up into the 30s again. Ending up with 5 picks between 30 and 40. Man I really need this draft to get over with just to stop my mind from wandering.

A team I can see a deal being made with is the Islanders. They have no 2nd this year and may be willing to trade down to get one.

To Montreal:
15th overall
136th overall pick(5th rounder)

To New York:
25th overall
55th overall

Something along those lines.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
A team I can see a deal being made with is the Islanders. They have no 2nd this year and may be willing to trade down to get one.

To Montreal:
15th overall

To New York:
25th overall
55th overall

I think the Islanders wouldn't do that and try to land one of Nurse, Zadorov Morin Morrissey or Pulock.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:09 PM
odishabs

1st round: Ian McCoshen
2nd round: Morgan Klimchuk
2nd round: Jacob De La Rose
2nd round: Tyler Hill
3rd round: Mason Geertsen
3rd round: Chris Bigras

--------------------------------------------

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Collberg

Klimchuk - De La Rose - Gallagher

Hudon - Eller - Kristo

Hill - Bournival - XXXXXXX

McCoshen - Subban

Beaulieu - Tinordi

Emelin - Thrower

still vertically challenged

Last edited by odishabs: 05-30-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 09:21 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post

Hudon - Eller - Kristo

McCoshen - Subban

Beaulieu - Tinordi

Emelin - Thrower

What kind of player is McCoshen?

Old
05-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Analyzer*

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
A guy, from what I've read is great at everything, but not really a stand out at 1 thing.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:24 PM
odishabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Think Ryan McDonagh

Old
05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Luigi Habs
Captain Saku

Quote:
Think Ryan McDonagh
I've heard about like 5 defensemen in the 1st round compared to McDonagh.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Whitesnake
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Duphin is too good to pass up at #34 and 36. Potential #2 center with excellent hockey sense.
Too good for sure...but everytime a player was about to be us....we got screwed. So Dauphin will most likely be gone before we talk.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:02 PM
chjucan

I wish we could get Erne and Carrier

Old
05-30-2013, 10:08 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post

To Montreal:
15th overall

To New York:
25th overall
55th overall

As an Islanders fan that would annoy me. If Montreal wants to move up to 15th I might consider 25th and 36th(else I run to San Jose(who have 3 second round picks) and ask for 20th and 50th).

Basic case at 15 you will get a much better shot of getting a sure fire pick, while at 25th and 36th you get 2 kicks at the can(although less of a shot at a top line players)

Last edited by boredmale: 05-30-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Guilliam

Yeah i'd be ecstatic if Erne falls to our pick.

I know I once said I'd be disappointed with McCoshen but after reading a bit more on him I changed my mine. He seems to have a real potential for first pairing D, definite top 4. We have a lot of D prospects but most of them realistically look more like bottom pairing defensemen.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I've heard about like 5 defensemen in the 1st round compared to McDonagh.
He's a pretty good example of a defenseman who doesn't have a stand-out attribute but just does everything well.

Anybody buy the McKeen's guide/subscription yet? I got it for my birthday awhile back and the top 60 profiles are up. Good reading so far.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:23 PM
habshound247

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
As an Islanders fan that would annoy me. If Montreal wants to move up to 15th I might consider 25th and 36th(else I run to San Jose and ask for 20th and 50th).

Basic case at 15 you will get a much better shot of getting a sure fire pick, while at 25th and 36th you get 2 kicks at the can(although less of a shot at a top line players)

If a player really starts to drop you could see Montreal trade up with the extra picks they have this year. Maybe Bo Horvat drops? He would be an interesting player if available at 15.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
If a player really starts to drop you could see Montreal trade up with the extra picks they have this year. Maybe Bo Horvat drops? He would be an interesting player if available at 15.
Only reason I would rather trade with Montreal then say San Jose is because I want the Islanders to take a goalie with that high second(Tristan Jarry would be my first choice, won't complain if Fucale fell their as well). With the 25th I would make a swing for the fences type of pick like Petan or Mantha(2 guys I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole at 15 but look mighty nice at 25)

Old
05-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He's a pretty good example of a defenseman who doesn't have a stand-out attribute but just does everything well.

Anybody buy the McKeen's guide/subscription yet? I got it for my birthday awhile back and the top 60 profiles are up. Good reading so far.
I buy it too. It's my favorite source for draft day since 7-8 years...

However, there are more than 300 profils on site now...

Last edited by Le depisteur: 05-30-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 10:27 PM
NotProkofievian

Just watched Russia vs USA semifinals from the U18 to get a better read on Buchnevich and McCarron.

I don't see any sort of hidden offensive upside in McCarron. He played a good game, scored a greasy goal, played well along the boards, had a couple good hits, some good passes. I don't see top 6 upside in him at all based on this game.

Buchnevich is someone who, if he's available, I'd like to pick with our usual "take a flyer on a european" late in the draft. He's...odd. He's not exactly an eager beaver, but he is dangerous with the puck. However, there are a number of reasons why he might never play a game in the NHL. In this game he did his fare share of this:

However, he had a beauty goal off a point shot, and about a half dozen other opportunities in which either picture perfect passes weren't converted on, or he missed the net by a couple inches.

Old
05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:

Hudon - Eller - Kristo

McCoshen - Subban

Beaulieu - Tinordi

Emelin - Thrower

Those are the utter most unsexiest picks for this draft

Besides maybe Klimchuk. And I don't see Bigras lasting that long.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:02 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Just watched Russia vs USA semifinals from the U18 to get a better read on Buchnevich and McCarron.

I don't see any sort of hidden offensive upside in McCarron. He played a good game, scored a greasy goal, played well along the boards, had a couple good hits, some good passes. I don't see top 6 upside in him at all based on this game.

Buchnevich is someone who, if he's available, I'd like to pick with our usual "take a flyer on a european" late in the draft. He's...odd. He's not exactly an eager beaver, but he is dangerous with the puck. However, there are a number of reasons why he might never play a game in the NHL. In this game he did his fare share of this:

However, he had a beauty goal off a point shot, and about a half dozen other opportunities in which either picture perfect passes weren't converted on, or he missed the net by a couple inches.
Buchnevich should definitely be an option with the Habs 2nd round.

As for McCarron, he's not there to deke the other team. He's a big RW, with good mobility, and he's explosive with the puck. His puck protection is top notch and I didn't see him lose many puck battles. He's a horse along the boards,and hits hard. What I liked the most about him, is that he goes to the dirty areas, and the fact that he's such a swift skater for a huge guy like that. He has the finish too to score goals.

He's a winger that will open the ice up for his linemates with his crash and bang brand of hockey.

The only questions about him are his pugilistic abilities, I believe he fought a few times but have no idea how he fared, and his actual upside.

I'd have no problem seeing Timmins say his name by #34 or 36.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Maitz

25th: Rychel

34th: McCoshen

36th: McCarron

54th: Bailey ---» love this kid, got a lot of skills

Old
05-31-2013, 12:35 AM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

My ideal draft:Ryan Hartman,Morgan Klimchuk,Dillon Heatherington,Laurent Dauphin

Old
05-31-2013, 12:53 AM
JeromeHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Buchnevich should definitely be an option with the Habs 2nd round.

As for McCarron, he's not there to deke the other team. He's a big RW, with good mobility, and he's explosive with the puck. His puck protection is top notch and I didn't see him lose many puck battles. He's a horse along the boards,and hits hard. What I liked the most about him, is that he goes to the dirty areas, and the fact that he's such a swift skater for a huge guy like that. He has the finish too to score goals.

He's a winger that will open the ice up for his linemates with his crash and bang brand of hockey.

The only questions about him are his pugilistic abilities, I believe he fought a few times but have no idea how he fared, and his actual upside.

I'd have no problem seeing Timmins say his name by #34 or 36.
McCarron we saw at the U18 was very different from the McCarron of the regular season from the peoples i talk too. Thats why you can't put too much stock in one tournament wheter its good or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
The four M's - McCarron, Morin, McCoshen, Mueller. I have a gut feeling it will be one of those four. Maybe Gauthier, maybe Rychel, perhaps even Hartman. Everything depends on what happens in front to them. I'm sure they'd love to get Lazar, but can't see him dropping that far. Who knows..if someone like Lazar or Morin drops to 20..maybe the Habs dangle a second to move up. At least this year they have the ammo to do so.
of those 4 i would go with Mueller, not a fan of the other 3. plus we like recruiting out of switzerland in Montreal

Closed Thread