HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

John Tortorella Has Been Fired and the subsequent coaching search

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 02:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
I'm told several current Rangers players believed prior to Wednesday’s announcement that Tortorella was going to lose his job
https://twitter.com/NYDNRangers/stat...23907039227904

Stop coaching Pat.

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Matthew Barnaby ‏@MattBarnaby3636 1h
Torts is awful to play for. A good guy away from the rink but NO fun at all to be around. Very smart hockey guy but I played for him and ugh

Old
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Hes 190 pounds, he is absolutely undersized, and he is not very physical anyway. Hes an average skater.

He doesnt ooze talent at all, hes 26, he isnt going to suddenly develop into a great player his 8th season in the league
I never said he was physical. And NHL.com has him at 6'1, 202 pounds. We'll see about the rest, but lets hope for the sake of this hockey club I'm right and you're wrong.

Old
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
But, didn't you just say it's the players?
The players are a huge problem. But the biggest problem bar none is the guy constructing these rosters.

Old
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
maybe a little scoring-deficient but i think slats has provided torts with plenty of talent. i don't blame slats. aside from richards...but who knew that guy would fall off a cliff.
Just pointing this out here, but when's the last time we signed a major FA that didn't fall off a cliff? They all seem to, despite all the reasons we come up with.

Anyway, I don't blame Slats for this one. Torts' job is to get the most out of the players. If Sather had done a crappy job building the team, then it's on him, but I don't think anyone can sit here and say that was the case. We were 1st in the East last year - shows you what Torts can, and should have been able to do this year. But the PP sucked, and players tuned him out. And it's not like we always gave our best effort this year, unlike last year where there were a handful of games all year where we didn't play hard. That's also on the coach. So yea, this had to be done.

I'm looking forward to actually having an offense again...

Old
17futurecap

Write a check for Torts and Richards to go away, and write another check for the new head coach. I wish I was a friend of James Dolan.

Old
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
I see most of you would rather have Torts over Lundqvist cause that's what this all comes down to, besides the fact he never addressed the power play and every ref hates him
Where is this Lundqvist hates Torts stuff coming from? Is there a source for this? Or just speculation?

Old
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Fun to play for?

According to reports, Renney WAS fun to play for. Look where that got us.
I know, I hate this argument. Aww, hes not a fun guy? Who cares. Tom Coughlin isn't a treat either, and hes got 2 rings.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:24 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers 2m
I'm told several current Rangers players believed prior to Wednesday’s announcement that Tortorella was going to lose his job

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
I see most of you would rather have Torts over Lundqvist cause that's what this all comes down to, besides the fact he never addressed the power play and every ref hates him
How does it come down to that?

Old
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
Quote:
Yea youre right, guys who never score 20 goals in a season are top 6 players.
I am right. He's not a goal scorer, he's a skilled playmaking center.

Old
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
I never said he was physical. And NHL.com has him at 6'1, 202 pounds. We'll see about the rest, but lets hope for the sake of this hockey club I'm right and you're wrong.
Or the team finds a real top 6 center, and he can be the 3rd line center and be very good there....

Old
05-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
I know, I hate this argument. Aww, hes not a fun guy? Who cares. Tom Coughlin isn't a treat either, and hes got 2 rings.
Tom Coughlin completely changed his persona when he was on the chopping block. Might not be fun to play for still, but that's not the same as saying he's awful to play for.

Guys like Tortorella have a short shelf-life. He came close when he was here, but the window's closed.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
I could give a crap about where he was drafted, hes 25 now (26 when the seasons starts). He is what he is. He isnt suddenly going to become a 30/30 guy. Hes always been poor defensively, hes undersized, not a great skater, and hes never even come close to scoring 20 goals in a season. Top 6 player my butt.

Only teams he is even close to being top 6 are those with no centers, aka the rangers.
Did he kill your kitten or something? A lot of ignorant hate going on, first of all he's a playmaking center, secondly he scored 17 goals in '10-'11 which is somehow NOT EVEN CLOSE to 30? Never!!!!

30 point player? You do realize that he's put up more than that the majority of his career right except for during two short seasons?

Old
05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I see a bunch of Monday morning QBs in this thread calling the GM a fool for making moves they all happily appproved of Sunday morning.
That's really not true. I was totally against both the Redden and Richards signings, and the Clowe trade. Not everyone approves of everything Sather does at the time he does it.

Old
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Fun, Boring, Cranky, Sad, Happy, Gassy.

I don't care. Give me a coach who will win.

Old
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I didn't expect this. Mixed feelings on this one.

Old
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dont be fooled for one second into thinking this was strictly an on-ice decision. Sather is a cunning snake of a GM who has used coaches as shields for 13 years now.

Sather can say that Brad Richards was Torts' idea and he has to clean up that mess now to the tune of a $25M check from Uncle Jimmy. Trouble with the media? All Torts' fault, a new coach will clean that up. Regressing from last year? Not my roster, it was Torts' system.

If Dolan wasnt a ****ing idiot, he'd ask Sather for a comprehensive plan going forward and Sather would have jack**** to show him.

My frustration goes well beyond Tortorella. This episode is on repeat. No plan - just another scapegoat.
Bingo. All the cover necessary for an easy Richards buyout with no questions.

At least all the buyouts (Holik, Redden, Drury, Richards, etc) haven't hurt the Rangers. It's just money, and while not being anywhere near cost effective, Drury by all accounts was helpful in the development of Callahan and without Richards, the Rangers wouldn't of made it to the conference finals last year.

There's an argument to made that Glen Sather has screwed over Dolan's checkbook more so than the fans.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Saying Carl Hagelin "stinks" on the PP. He can't say that publicly. Its true but that's not for public consumption.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:27 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Did he kill your kitten or something? A lot of ignorant hate going on, first of all he's a playmaking center, secondly he scored 17 goals in '10-'11 which is somehow NOT EVEN CLOSE to 30? Never!!!!

17 goals is the best he ever scored in a season and somehow you think that means hes a top 6 center.

Like I said, hes a 3rd line center who has some value on the PP. Hes a 15/30 guy. Thats it. Doesnt have any of this "major upside"

Old
05-29-2013, 02:28 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
At any rate, a coach shouldn't be "fun" to play for. These guys have a job and it's to play pro hockey. It can be fun, but the coach shouldn't have to be "fun"
I think in reference to this comment he meant that play for torts was hell, and we're talking about professional athletes here paid millions of dollars. They expect to be treated with a certain degree of respect and having a good relationship with the head coach certainly helps the teams success. Not rocket science here.

Old
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Tom Coughlin completely changed his persona when he was on the chopping block. Might not be fun to play for still, but that's not the same as saying he's awful to play for.

Guys like Tortorella have a short shelf-life. He came close when he was here, but the window's closed.
He didn't "completely change" his persona. He went from being a pyschotic madman down to a major hardass.

Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Fun, Boring, Cranky, Sad, Happy, Gassy.

I don't care. Give me a coach who will win.
Seriously. Who gives a **** if Torts was the real-world version of the Grinch, if he won a ring here I would've bowed to him.

And if the next coach is fun and joy incarnate and wins a ring, i'll do the same. If not, then he needs to go even if the players are having the greatest time of their lives.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Greg02

Quote:
17 goals is the best he ever scored in a season and somehow you think that means hes a top 6 center.
Assists are a thing too. If he puts up 50-55 points, then yes, he'd be a 2C.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
I think in reference to this comment he meant that play for torts was hell, and we're talking about professional athletes here paid millions of dollars. They expect to be treated with a certain degree of respect and having a good relationship with the head coach certainly helps the teams success. Not rocket science here.
No it isn't, but the word "fun" shouldn't be used to describe playing for your boss.

Closed Thread