HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Tomas Hertl to entry-level contract

Old
05-31-2013, 12:04 AM
NWShark*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigPAVELSKI View Post
Maybe he has improved. This actually isn't the first time or place I've heard recently of his skating being MUCH better than it was. So perhaps there is some truth to it.

I'll see if I can find any of the other reports I read that mentioned it.
I think it was his draft report that said he needed work on his skating...? I probably read it here...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Leidi J

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
I think it was his draft report that said he needed work on his skating...? I probably read it here...
Yes I know. That was the word coming out of the draft. I mean recently now, more than a year later, I've read several reports that mention his much much improved skating. It isn't just that one. Not saying it's necessarily true, but multiple scouting outlets saying so do give the idea more credibility as a possible truth.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Gomez is legitimately fast though... if he's even a fraction of that at his size that is encouraging.
Seriously. Especially when he grows into his frame.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Sharksfan83

Only going on reports, his skating isn't that bad, it just looks awkward

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:19 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Yeah, that is what I heard.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:25 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Yup same here.

Old
05-31-2013, 01:03 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Gomez is legitimately fast though... if he's even a fraction of that at his size that is encouraging.
I'm saying stylistically, he has this sweeping move where he goes hooks from one side to the other at his own blueline and then flies through the neutral zone looking to accept a pass. To me, it looks like his top speed is good enough. I think it's his agility that needs the most work.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:12 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm saying stylistically, he has this sweeping move where he goes hooks from one side to the other at his own blueline and then flies through the neutral zone looking to accept a pass. To me, it looks like his top speed is good enough. I think it's his agility that needs the most work.
So maintaining speed laterally is probably what they will help him with. The Sharks just need to hire Hedican as a skating coach

Old
05-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

This was one of my favourite picks from the 2012, it was a steal at #17. He should be a great pickup for you guys even as soon as next season. It was nice to see a team I like take a player in the draft I liked pre-draft, finally (about years of Rakell-ANA, Frk-DET, Jurco-DET, Faksa-DAL, etc).

Sharks are my #3 team, good luck next season.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Am I the only one who's not super stoked about the kid? I mean yeah he's good but who knows how well he'll play when he's here. I mean what if he only ends up like Couture?

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:59 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Am I the only one who's not super stoked about the kid? I mean yeah he's good but who knows how well he'll play when he's here. I mean what if he only ends up like Couture?
That's what I'm afraid of. If he doesn't put up 70 goals and 150 pts he can gtfo along with Havlat imo.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:09 AM
Leidi J

Quote:
Only ends up like Couture? LOL I'd take two Coutures on this team any day. That'd be great if he ends up like Couture. I don't know what people are expecting... for him to replace Thornton eventually? I mean that would be awesome lol, but I don't think that is fair to expect. Jumbo is a future HHOF. And especially if you just go off of draft position (which doesn't always = value/talent/skill, but still...) Thornton was a #1 pick. Couture #9, Hertl #17... I also don't think people are expecting him to be the savior of the future of this team. Most, I think, hope he can live up to all his potential and be a major piece and contributor.

I honestly just don't know what to make of that comment, whether it was a backhanded jab at Cooch or what, but it makes no sense to me.

Old
05-31-2013, 04:11 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Sounds like someones bitter because he's been talked about as the THornton replacement... When he arrives it's the beginning of the end of THornton...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Rexor

Hertl certainly is not an above-average skater, everyone who expects him to be is going to end up disappointed. The only above-average thing about his skating is his balance/stability.

I would say my scouting report on him would look like this:

Assets:

-great puck protection skills, can use his body along the boards very well
-has a high hockey IQ, plays a smart game in all zones, responsible defensively
-quick hands
-good shot

Flaws:

-skating, especially first few steps
-could be more clinical when finishing his chances
-skating

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:37 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Dont know if you discussed it...

Slavia Praha will sue Hertl if he signs with SJ, because he has valid contract for next season and Slavia did not allow him to go to NHL (he did not terminate contract).

Slavia git new ownership a few weeks ago, new owner is a company which is under hodling of Petr Kellner (google). On of Kellner´s companies is a sponsor of KHL (MND Group)

It is important that owner of Slavia is wealthy and has expariance with bussiness. These guys know how to protect their assets.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post

Slavia Praha will sue Hertl if he signs with SJ, because he has valid contract for next season and Slavia did not allow him to go to NHL (he did not terminate contract).

Slavia git new ownership a few weeks ago, new owner is a company which is under hodling of Petr Kellner (google). On of Kellner´s companies is a sponsor of KHL (MND Group)

It is important that owner of Slavia is wealthy and has expariance with bussiness. These guys know how to protect their assets.
NHL has transfer agreement with Czech Republic do they not? If there is an agreement then Slavia has absolutely no case. The articles I have found state there was an agreement, at least in principle with the Czech Republic. No word on if the agreement was formalized that I can find.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669998

Old
05-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Leidi J

Quote:

I already posted this in this thread, This article is from 5/22, so it seems the agreement discussed in the nhl.com article posted above me was indeed passed.

http://hokej.idnes.cz/kluby-schvalil...3440_hokej_par

Quote:
"It looks like if the Sharks do want him this summer, they will get him. (For those who cannot read in Czech, the article says that Czech league clubs have agreed upon a new agreement between the IIHF and the NHL which would allow NHL clubs to sign European players even with existing contracts, after paying a $200 000 buyout fee)."

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 05-31-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old
05-31-2013, 08:23 AM
Rexor

I think the issue here is that the agreement between the NHL and IIHF has been signed but it has yet to enter into force.

It seems to me that the Slavia management knows pretty well they're going to lose Hertl this summer but they want to show some fight because of their fans. It's difficult to get a proper info on this because the absolute majority of Czech media is total garbage, lots of sensationalist, emotion filled articles that hold very little value.

Such as this one from today:
http://hokej.idnes.cz/slavia-se-bran...1350_hokej_cig

The headline says: "Hertl won't go anywhere! Slavia wants to fight against the NHL with all its means"

The first sentence reads: "Although their chances to succeed are low, they decided to fight."

It continues saying Hertl has signed with the Sharks despite the NHL-IIHF agreement not yet entering into force, mentiones Slavia's willingness to go to court, saying "It's an understandable and legitimate step, and the Praguers would very likely succeed." Huh?

Makes no sense whatsoever. It's like if it was written by a 10 year old child.

Last edited by Rexor: 05-31-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:56 AM
zorz

The thing is, they may have signed some kind of agreement about transfers. But it looks like its meant for the future, not valid yet right now. If that's the case, his agent is to blame, nobody else.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Leidi J

Eh whatever. Doug Wilson in his exit interviews yesterday seemed more than certain that Hertl would be here in the states next year. So I don't think the Sharks or the NHL are very worried about whatever bogus stuff his team will throw at them. At worst they'll end up having to pay them off or something I'm sure.

Edit: I did read the article you posted. It was interesting, but it seemed to me like they're just pissed and are going to try and raise whatever protest they can to it. Doesn't sound like there's any indication it'll be successful though.

Last edited by Leidi J: 05-31-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old
05-31-2013, 10:42 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
NHL has transfer agreement with Czech Republic do they not? If there is an agreement then Slavia has absolutely no case. The articles I have found state there was an agreement, at least in principle with the Czech Republic. No word on if the agreement was formalized that I can find.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669998
from your link, your answer here

Quote:
If the Board of Governors approves the Player Transfer Agreement, Daly said it will be the first time the League has had a deal with the Swiss, Czechs and French.
Reactions of people in this thread are interesting.. ok, you think Slavia is bunch of idiots, I will not argue and say one name: Prohkorkin.

Last edited by vorky: 05-31-2013 at 10:54 AM.
vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:52 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Hasso will just buy Slavia if need be.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:07 AM
hockeyball

Quote:

Reactions of people in this thread are interesting.. ok, you think Slavia is bunch of idiots, I will not argue and say one name: Prohkorkin.
I'm pretty sure you are inventing malice where none exists. Not only does no one in this thread think Slavia are a bunch of idiots, they make no particular mention of their intelligence in anyway. Honestly, I don't think anyone here even realizes there's an issue...

Also, its pretty likely the Sharks know what they are doing. Their owner is a European, I'm sure he's more than aware that issues might exist with his current team. He's also made of money so it's entirely possible he's already either worked this out with them or decided he's fine with the lawsuit and any costs it might incur are worth it.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Leidi J

Quote:

I don't think people would say they think they are idiots. Most would understand why they are gonna fight or try to do whatever they can to protect their own interests. But, that doesn't mean that their tactics are going to work. It doesn't have to do with them being able to get the best lawyers or being great business people. It has to do with a single club going up against two of the much more powerful entities in the NHL and IIHF. It's all about leverage. Doesn't seem to me that Slavia has much of a basis to stand on. Doesn't mean they can't or won't give it a shot to see if they get lucky. Happens all the time i'm sure.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Huh? The link says if the BoG agrees it will HAVE an agreement for the first time with those countries. Unless the BoG voted it down, then there IS an agreement.

Prohkorkin is a completely different situation and you KNOW that. That's KHL where there is no agreement other than the respecting contracts agreement the NHL-KHL have and the NHL honoured their agreement.