*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2013, 08:01 PM
StungbySting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
IMO, Basso for Patterson is not a good trade at all for Sarnia. He is a good goalie, but not great. Also, he only has one year left. London's defensive style inflates their goalies numbers. i.e Kevin Bailie.

If the Sting are going to trade Basso, they need to go for a 17yr old at the oldest and/or picks.
Patterson is better than any present goalie in the Sting system. He would provide above average goaltending this season and could help with Fazio's development. Basso is a decent offensively, but he isn't a great all round defenseman. By moving Basso this would give King the opportunity to develop in the OHL. I would then move Patterson, Duininick and Latta at the deadline for picks/specs. The talent pool would be a lot deeper plus the current roster would have Duininick, Patterson and Latta as leaders.

Old
09-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Stingland

Quote:
IMO, Basso for Patterson is not a good trade at all for Sarnia. He is a good goalie, but not great. Also, he only has one year left. London's defensive style inflates their goalies numbers. i.e Kevin Bailie.

If the Sting are going to trade Basso, they need to go for a 17yr old at the oldest and/or picks.
Agree with BoxerMax. If we trade Basso we need to look to picks or up and coming young players. Any trade should be for the future and not just looking for our needs for this year. The "Brick by Brick" Strategy of a couple of years ago was not a bad idea if the powers that be had stuck with it.

Old
09-09-2013, 06:28 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingland View Post
Agree with BoxerMax. If we trade Basso we need to look to picks or up and coming young players. Any trade should be for the future and not just looking for our needs for this year. The "Brick by Brick" Strategy of a couple of years ago was not a bad idea if the powers that be had stuck with it.
I don't think we need to worry about Basso's fate. I don't believe he is coming back and that is a good thing. If Basso plays to his capabilities he will do just fine.
We should have traded him while we could.
Any more roster changes in the offing? or is the team set?

Old
09-09-2013, 08:00 AM
StungbySting

Quote:
I think Patterson would return just as much as Basso at the trade deadline, if not more. You would get Patterson for the regular season up till the deadline and then flip him for picks/specs that will help in the future.

Old
09-09-2013, 08:51 AM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I dont have a problem with maybe trying to get Patterson but sure would not give up all you have mentioned.Barrick looked solid last night but I understand only preseason.I think he deserves a chance.I think i would rather get a few picks for Basso.

I agree about buying into the system. It looked more obvious last night.
I am a bit confused. I am hearing (and saw) that Barrick had a solid game once again and yet there is a lot of talk about bringing in Patterson. I know it is pre-season and Windsor didn't have a lot of vets dressed but that clearly wasn't the case when he played in London, where they had all the vets dressed, and he still made almost 40 saves. Why the urgency to bring in another goalie?

Old
09-09-2013, 09:01 AM
aresknights

Quote:

I like this thinking from London's POV as well. If we gave up Patterson for Basso were left without a quality vet backup with OHL championship and Memorial Cup exp.
And as we saw last year you need a solid BUG in case things go south.
Much rather give up youngin/ picks combo and keep our back up.

Old
09-09-2013, 10:28 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Wouldn't want Patterson in a Basso trade unless he was a throw in (which he won't be). Roll with Barrick and see how he does. There's no use in using an asset (Basso) to acquire a G when we don't know what Barrick can do yet. Give him a chance. The trading for goaltender cycle needs to end in Sarnia.

Old
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I agree with u 100%. Didnt the OHL playoffs and memorial cup expose the 2 London goalies? To me it did. Nothing to do with skill, it was the emotion's...pressure was really getting to them. If Im Knights management I lost trust in them. Problem is, you can never duplicate that pressure of the ohl finals and memorial cup until u have already committed to them by keeping them after the deadline. Then its a wait and see.

I do not think Fazio is ready for backup duty in the OHL this year.

Old
09-09-2013, 01:04 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post
I think Patterson would return just as much as Basso at the trade deadline, if not more. You would get Patterson for the regular season up till the deadline and then flip him for picks/specs that will help in the future.
Actually, the complete opposite would be true. Leaving the Knights defensive system, his number would extremely inflate. At 19, an avg/good goalie would not return much at all. If you are trading O/A's, if you are getting a roster player, he needs to be 17 at the oldest. Basso brings a need to a team. And that need is what is going to get a good return for.

As for the Sting, I think whatever they decided out of camp, is how the goal tending situation is going to stay all year. Barrick/Dawe or Barrick/Fazio.

Old
09-09-2013, 04:32 PM
hardoil3232

who ar he top five heavy wleights this coming season

Old
09-09-2013, 05:48 PM
StungbySting

Quote:
Actually, the complete opposite would be true. Leaving the Knights defensive system, his number would extremely inflate. At 19, an avg/good goalie would not return much at all. If you are trading O/A's, if you are getting a roster player, he needs to be 17 at the oldest. Basso brings a need to a team. And that need is what is going to get a good return for.

As for the Sting, I think whatever they decided out of camp, is how the goal tending situation is going to stay all year. Barrick/Dawe or Barrick/Fazio.
So you're saying that a team taking a serious run at the OHL championship or Memorial Cup wouldn't want Patterson? It is a 60 plus game season and I think you must have forgotten that injuries happen. A 19 year old goalie with Patterson's experience would net a decent return at the deadline, especially to a contender with goalie issues. Teams that are going "all in" this season would love to have a goalie like Patterson on their team. Probably why London won't trade him.

Old
09-09-2013, 05:53 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 400
Quote:
So you're saying that a team taking a serious run at the OHL championship or Memorial Cup wouldn't want Patterson? It is a 60 plus game season and I think you must have forgotten that injuries happen. A 19 year old goalie with Patterson's experience would net a decent return at the deadline, especially to a contender with goalie issues. Teams that are going "all in" this season would love to have a goalie like Patterson on their team. Probably why London won't trade him.
Sarnia doesnt need Patterson. Why trade away one of your most valauble assets in a rebuilding phase for a goalie that arguabably isnt a tremendous upgrade over your current goalie situation. Sarnia is pretty likely going for a rebuild year, just letting the young kids play and get better, it's just not a good move to dump Basso for Patterson. Patterson would probably get shredded on Sarnia, as they are going to be much worse of a team compared to the Knights. It'd be better just to trade Basso for the assets, instead of attempting to play middle man, acquiring a goalie you dont need, and then maybe you cant even unload him, or you dont get what you would have gotten for Basso.

Old
09-09-2013, 06:36 PM
StungbySting

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Sarnia doesnt need Patterson. Why trade away one of your most valauble assets in a rebuilding phase for a goalie that arguabably isnt a tremendous upgrade over your current goalie situation. Sarnia is pretty likely going for a rebuild year, just letting the young kids play and get better, it's just not a good move to dump Basso for Patterson. Patterson would probably get shredded on Sarnia, as they are going to be much worse of a team compared to the Knights. It'd be better just to trade Basso for the assets, instead of attempting to play middle man, acquiring a goalie you dont need, and then maybe you cant even unload him, or you dont get what you would have gotten for Basso.
You clearly have no clue about the Sting this up coming season. I mean no disrespect by saying that, but the biggest need for the team this year is goaltending. The team might actually have an OA as a backup.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:05 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
You clearly have no clue about the Sting this up coming season. I mean no disrespect by saying that, but the biggest need for the team this year is goaltending. The team might actually have an OA as a backup.
He just means that since Sarnia is rebuilding they don't need to go out and use an asset like Basso to bring in a stop gap for a year in Patterson and I definitely agree.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Totally agree. If you could get a good 1995 or1996 and/or a high pick(s) for Basso it would make a lot more sense than acquiring a 19 year old goalie. Putting some high picks back into the cupboard after Jocko's trading binge would be nice. It would be great to see the team get back to the Brick by Brick strategy which they never should have abandoned.

The future of this team wont be based on the 94's and older that are currently on the roster. The future IMO is the young kids and the ability of Letowski to get the kids to buy in. Personally, I think Letowski will become a very good coach in the league and may ultimately be the franchise's best asset. If he can get this team into the playoffs and develop the young players then he will have done a good job this year. Anything beyond that will be a bonus. Having said that, the early months of this season might not be easy.

As for the goalies I'd go with Barrick and Dawe (assuming the OA spot is available) for the early part of the season and see how they make out. If neither proves up then I'd be looking elsewhere but I agree with the sentiment that the Sarnia goalie merry go round has to stop.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
CoyotesHFNHL

Look at it this way for Sarnia's goaltending situation. Brodie Barrick is turning 19 this year. He's a 1994 who is playing great from what I'm hearing. What is Sarnia hoping to do. Best case scenario they finish 6th. They get knocked out first round. Worst case scenario they finish last. There is no reason to bring in a 1993 or 1994 goaltender onto this team. You also don't want to ruin Fazio he's your high pick. Many teams looking for top goaltenders who are actually looking at contending, no reason to get into that battle. The solution: Find a team with a wealth of young, goaltenders battling for the back-up spot and pick them up. Jack Moylan from Kitchener. He's a 1995 who still has potential. Jason DaSilva from Guelph. He's caught behind Nishi/whoever Guelph trades for/Mancina. Aaron Taylor a very late 1996 cut by Owen Sound, Daniel DeKoning 1996 with Erie. There are more teams out there with these goaltenders. These are the goalies I would expect a team in the situation of Sarnia would pursue. These kind of goaltenders should only cost a mid round pick. They'd be a serviceable back-up to Barrick, but still young enough to possess potential that maybe Sarnia's new goalie coach could bring out of them. OA situation is clear until trade deadline, and maybe you luck out and bring on some untapped potential to push Barrick. Then next year you have three goaltenders when this team is ready to make some noise. It's not about whether or not Fazio can play now, it's about doing what's right for his development and making him the best goaltender he can be for Sarnia. Backing up Barrick isn't what's best for Fazio's development so it's not best for Sarnia long term.

Old
09-09-2013, 07:46 PM
hardoil3232

Quote:
Paterson would keep the score close for a young sting team to develope their
confidense

Old
09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoil3232 View Post
Paterson would keep the score close for a young sting team to develope their
confidense
So could Barrick, from what I've heard he's played pretty well in the preseason. How much of an upgrade is Patterson over Barrick? What do you do with Barrick if you trade for Patterson, trade him, to whom? Would be a pretty useless lateral move, Sarnia would be better off just moving Basso, he would fetch a good return. Go with Barrick-Dawe in the crease, give Fazio time to develop properly. No reason to have him play the 15-20 games the backup behind Barrick is expected to play to just get torched.

Old
09-09-2013, 08:35 PM
hardoil3232

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
So could Barrick, from what I've heard he's played pretty well in the preseason. How much of an upgrade is Patterson over Barrick? What do you do with Barrick if you trade for Patterson, trade him, to whom? Would be a pretty useless lateral move, Sarnia would be better off just moving Basso, he would fetch a good return. Go with Barrick-Dawe in the crease, give Fazio time to develop properly. No reason to have him play the 15-20 games the backup behind Barrick is expected to play to just get torched.
Paterson has much more talent than barrick

Old
09-09-2013, 08:46 PM
EON 93
\_(ツ)_/

Barrick, on a team that went 35-28-1-4, and gave up 254 goals: 3-2, .899 sv %, 3.25 GAA

Patterson, on a team that went 50-13-2-3, and gave up 180 goals: 19-6-1, .913 sv %, 2.61 GAA

Is he that much better that its worth GIVING UP Basso, Barrick, and a pick? I highly doubt it, especially not in a rebuilding phase.

Last edited by EON 93: 09-10-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old
09-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Shaun Bisson

People are debating acquiring a goaltender that a team who is looking for that extra push would be looking at. As most people have pointed out, Sarnia is not in a position where they should acquire Patterson. Unless of course you think they are, in which case you may need to rethink how the Sting are going to do this year.

Old
09-10-2013, 08:59 AM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
People are debating acquiring a goaltender that a team who is looking for that extra push would be looking at. As most people have pointed out, Sarnia is not in a position where they should acquire Patterson. Unless of course you think they are, in which case you may need to rethink how the Sting are going to do this year.
I find it strange that as the new sports reporter for the Sarnia paper that you would even want to come on here and get involved in debates amongst bloggers, who most of us who have too much time on our hands! I find it more odd that you would debate the goalie situation since, if I am not mistaken, one of the current goalies lives with your family? Maybe this is not the case this anymore this year, but I believe it was last season.

I think everyone needs to wait and see how this all plays out. Does anyone know how Basso made out this week? I believe the camps have ended so I guess we will know soon enough.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
I find it strange that as the new sports reporter for the Sarnia paper that you would even want to come on here and get involved in debates amongst bloggers, who most of us who have too much time on our hands! I find it more odd that you would debate the goalie situation since, if I am not mistaken, one of the current goalies lives with your family? Maybe this is not the case this anymore this year, but I believe it was last season.

I think everyone needs to wait and see how this all plays out. Does anyone know how Basso made out this week? I believe the camps have ended so I guess we will know soon enough.
I'm not even going to engage in this conversation because I'm in a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. The Sting don't need Patterson, any sensible person would be able to see that. End of discussion on my part.

As far as Basso - everything I saw indicated he had a decent rookie tournament. Hard to really gauge anything from them. Kind of like the NBA Summer League, it doesn't tell you who can play, it tells you who can't.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:56 AM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
I'm not even going to engage in this conversation because I'm in a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. The Sting don't need Patterson, any sensible person would be able to see that. End of discussion on my part.
You say you are not going to engage but yet you continue to add your input before you say "End of discussion on my part."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as a "professional" in the field I would think you would rather not continue to debate this issue, especially since it is bordering on a "conflict of interest", if I am correct in my assessment of the living arrangements of one of the goalies. Just a tidbit of advice from someone who was in that field for probably twice as long as you have been alive.

[/QUOTE]As far as Basso - everything I saw indicated he had a decent rookie tournament. Hard to really gauge anything from them. Kind of like the NBA Summer League, it doesn't tell you who can play, it tells you who can't.[/QUOTE]

Did you attend the games in Michigan where Basso was? Please fill us in on how much playing time he got if you can as well as any stats you have on him. I would like to hear how he did as far as his +/-, points, etc. I can't seem to find much online. Thank you.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Shaun Bisson

Basso was -1 with 1 shot in game 1 vs Detroit. -1 with an assist in game 2 vs St. Louis, and was blanked in all categories against Dallas in the third game of the tournament. Again, another -1 against New York in Minny's last game. Minnesota didn't keep TOI stats but they rolled all of their lines. A couple scouts said he looked decent, nothing overly noticeable either good or bad.

Closed Thread