*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2013, 12:33 PM
massey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Basso was -1 with 1 shot in game 1 vs Detroit. -1 with an assist in game 2 vs St. Louis, and was blanked in all categories against Dallas in the third game of the tournament. Again, another -1 against New York in Minny's last game. Minnesota didn't keep TOI stats but they rolled all of their lines. A couple scouts said he looked decent, nothing overly noticeable either good or bad.
You can comment on anything you want on here IMO.Just be prepared like everybody else for replies.I appreciate the info you put on here and would love to hear more about all aspects of the Sting.I love the conflict of interest and the comment on being professional while they hide behind a nickname on the site.You could have also but didnt.

Old
09-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
You can comment on anything you want on here IMO.Just be prepared like everybody else for replies.I appreciate the info you put on here and would love to hear more about all aspects of the Sting.I love the conflict of interest and the comment on being professional while they hide behind a nickname on the site.You could have also but didnt.
Thanks. I'll continue to provide info about the team. Anything you or anyone else wants to know, just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Old
09-10-2013, 01:06 PM
StungbySting

Didn't mean to open up any cans of worms by suggesting the Sting try and acquire Patterson. My reasoning is because I want to see the team make the playoffs again this year and I feel they are a proven goalie away from it. I want to see the young kids get some valuable playoff experience because in two years when the team is really competitive it will pay dividends. I think the Sting are going to surprise a lot of teams this year and this will have a lot to do with coach Letowski and the kids buying into his system.

Old
09-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post
Didn't mean to open up any cans of worms by suggesting the Sting try and acquire Patterson. My reasoning is because I want to see the team make the playoffs again this year and I feel they are a proven goalie away from it. I want to see the young kids get some valuable playoff experience because in two years when the team is really competitive it will pay dividends. I think the Sting are going to surprise a lot of teams this year and this will have a lot to do with coach Letowski and the kids buying into his system.
No worries on my end. I think the team will surprise people like you said and again, Letowski and Delmore getting the kids to buy in will have a lot to do with it.

Should the goal be making the playoffs this year? Maybe, maybe not. Nick Latta told me at the beginning of the season that they should go into every game with the goal of winning, which is true. But from an organizational stand point, just making the playoffs doesn't fix a whole lot. I'd rather see them build up and go deep in the playoffs in 1 or 2 years than see them have to continuously make moves just to secure a 6-8 spot every year.

Old
09-10-2013, 01:17 PM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
My name is Anthony Cote and worked in the media for many years, primarily out in Eastern Canada. I am now retired and living in the Grand Bend area and spend many of the winter months down in Southern Florida so therefore do not get to see the team once the cold and snow hits.
I am not hiding and if you asked me my name I would have gladly told you. I am sure many on here don't think much of "conflicts of interest" but they could be very detrimental in certain (and many) lines of work. The players, management, and probably certain staff members are the only people who have the "inside information" on the team, players, deals, etc. and all the rest of us can do is speculate until it is made known. My advice, or lack of it, can be taken or disregarded totally. It won't make me lose any sleep either way. I will however just continue to read the blogs and then wait for the actual happenings once they occur and are given to the media.

Old
09-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Stingland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
No worries on my end. I think the team will surprise people like you said and again, Letowski and Delmore getting the kids to buy in will have a lot to do with it.

Should the goal be making the playoffs this year? Maybe, maybe not. Nick Latta told me at the beginning of the season that they should go into every game with the goal of winning, which is true. But from an organizational stand point, just making the playoffs doesn't fix a whole lot. I'd rather see them build up and go deep in the playoffs in 1 or 2 years than see them have to continuously make moves just to secure a 6-8 spot every year.
Bingo. Then you would see a packed RBC every game with excitement in the community again.

Old
09-10-2013, 06:34 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
My name is Anthony Cote and worked in the media for many years, primarily out in Eastern Canada. I am now retired and living in the Grand Bend area and spend many of the winter months down in Southern Florida so therefore do not get to see the team once the cold and snow hits.
I am not hiding and if you asked me my name I would have gladly told you. I am sure many on here don't think much of "conflicts of interest" but they could be very detrimental in certain (and many) lines of work. The players, management, and probably certain staff members are the only people who have the "inside information" on the team, players, deals, etc. and all the rest of us can do is speculate until it is made known. My advice, or lack of it, can be taken or disregarded totally. It won't make me lose any sleep either way. I will however just continue to read the blogs and then wait for the actual happenings once they occur and are given to the media.
Anthony are you related to anyone on the team ?

Old
09-10-2013, 08:14 PM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
Anthony are you related to anyone on the team ?
No. As much as I love the game, I am merely a spectator. No one in my family was ever fortunate enough to play hockey at an elite level. We are more like pick-up, and back in the day, outdoor shinny players at best.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
No. As much as I love the game, I am merely a spectator. No one in my family was ever fortunate enough to play hockey at an elite level. We are more like pick-up, and back in the day, outdoor shinny players at best.
Good to hear Anthony as it is painfully obvious that there are some on this board whose sole agenda is to promote certain players that are relatives or close friends. I've got to believe that the teams can't be too happy about relatives being on these boards promoting their players.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:27 AM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Good to hear Anthony as it is painfully obvious that there are some on this board whose sole agenda is to promote certain players that are relatives or close friends. I've got to believe that the teams can't be too happy about relatives being on these boards promoting their players.
In all honesty, I can't imagine the team or players really care what is said on here. In speaking for myself only, what do I know really? LOL. Whether someone talks highly or badly about a player on here probaby won't change how Trevor views them, and that is really the only one they have to impress! Well maybe the Ciccarelli's and Abercrombie too but that would be it. LOL

Old
09-11-2013, 03:11 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
In all honesty, I can't imagine the team or players really care what is said on here. In speaking for myself only, what do I know really? LOL. Whether someone talks highly or badly about a player on here probaby won't change how Trevor views them, and that is really the only one they have to impress! Well maybe the Ciccarelli's and Abercrombie too but that would be it. LOL
I've actually heard that some teams have sent out directives that all players, relatives, and people working with the team stay off the chat lines and twitter. Not exactly sure how you'd enforce that but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when somebody (very likely a relative) is pumping a player.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
I've actually heard that some teams have sent out directives that all players, relatives, and people working with the team stay off the chat lines and twitter. Not exactly sure how you'd enforce that but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out when somebody (very likely a relative) is pumping a player.
Most teams do have a social media policy that team members and staff have to abide by. Unfortunately, as is seen even at the NHL level, family members like to inject themselves. Cody Hodgson's relationship with Vancouver and now Buffalo is a testament to that, and I had heard that Nazem Kadri's dad was a big factor in the stall of contract negotiations.

Old
09-13-2013, 11:13 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Sounds like Barrick had another strong showing against Saginaw

Old
09-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Shaun Bisson

Sting sent out a press release this morning. DeAngelo, Nikandrov, and Latta are the assistant captains.

Old
09-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Sounds like Barrick had another strong showing against Saginaw
Yeah was very solid. The puck was down at Sarnia's end most of the night. He dealt with the pressure well. Had a couple nice saves on 2 on 1's. Was probably the main reason Sarnia won.

Old
09-14-2013, 08:54 PM
massey

Awesome game for the Sting tonite.Showed they have big hearts.Dawe again was shacky for the first 5-10 min then settled in.Spirit goalie played awesum.The Sting can thank #16 trafford for the Spirit,He was running his mouth of course to the Stings smallest players and that fired the Sting up.The Sting was not intimidated at all.Spirits Payne was lucky not to get caught head butting.Lots of players showed well.Coaches got there hands full picking what players to keep up.If we are going to trade Basso,I hope we do it soon.If we go after picks then that helps to make some room.I realize the Spirit's top 5-6 were not dressed tonight.Only exhibition but fun to watch.

Old
09-14-2013, 10:57 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Awesome game for the Sting tonite.Showed they have big hearts.Dawe again was shacky for the first 5-10 min then settled in.Spirit goalie played awesum.The Sting can thank #16 trafford for the Spirit,He was running his mouth of course to the Stings smallest players and that fired the Sting up.The Sting was not intimidated at all.Spirits Payne was lucky not to get caught head butting.Lots of players showed well.Coaches got there hands full picking what players to keep up.If we are going to trade Basso,I hope we do it soon.If we go after picks then that helps to make some room.I realize the Spirit's top 5-6 were not dressed tonight.Only exhibition but fun to watch.
Just wondering if I could get an update on Renaud and White now that Exhibition is done----I apologize for asking about the same two guys( I will probably post the question every two months ), but they are friends of my son so this is the only place to get info. I appreciate any info that could be provided.

Old
09-15-2013, 06:00 AM
truestingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
Just wondering if I could get an update on Renaud and White now that Exhibition is done----I apologize for asking about the same two guys( I will probably post the question every two months ), but they are friends of my son so this is the only place to get info. I appreciate any info that could be provided.
White is a great addition. Renaud is struggling to find his way. But he should be fine, some guys take longer.

Old
09-15-2013, 06:52 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
IMO Renaud is going to have a hard time making this team based on his performance so far.White has been pretty good so far and is going to make things hard for the coaches to decide who to keep for sure.White had a nice goal last night.

Old
09-15-2013, 08:29 AM
dansk55

Quote:
IMO Renaud is going to have a hard time making this team based on his performance so far.White has been pretty good so far and is going to make things hard for the coaches to decide who to keep for sure.White had a nice goal last night.
I concur. I have not seen an improvement over last year. Does not seem to be a playmaker and when is he is wide open has a good shot. For some reason does not want to use his size and that is a shame. Whoever said he would be a sleeper in the NHL draft is right. He makes me snozze.
White kinda of reminds me of Sarault. Not quite as inventive but works hard.
ANyone have a sense of lines for opener...

Old
09-15-2013, 09:21 AM
NewStingfan

Quote:
I would have to agree. I think right now he is on the outside looking in. I am disappointed with the play of Addessi as well. They have not progressed so far as expected. Both need to play with more urgency. They need to use their big bodies and so far we haven't seen that. White has been very good. Really like the chemistry this team is showing and we haven't seen that in a while. Deangelo has been outstanding as he controls the play when he is on the ice. Korostelev is going to score a lot in this league.

Old
09-15-2013, 07:09 PM
massey

On the Knights posting on here they are talking a rumour of a basso trade with London with a 96 d man possibly.Stay tuned

Old
09-15-2013, 07:46 PM
SarniaSting101

With the pre-season now a thing of the past, does anyone care to share their thoughts on who will be "the team" we will see take to the ice on Friday night? Linemates? D-Pairings? Starting Goalie?

Old
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
BoxerMax

I was very impressed with the play of Bushnell, Korostelev, and DeAngelo Saturday night. As for Renaud, I have been very disappointed with his play all preseason. If he makes the team this year, he is going to be a healthy scratch for quite a few games.

If Basso does come back, I can see him being traded sooner than later. He would be a great fit for London, but if that is where he is going to go, I don't see that trade being done until London figures out who they are getting back from NHL camps.

Can't wait for Friday.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:18 PM
RyanHPscout

Quote:
On the Knights posting on here they are talking a rumour of a basso trade with London with a 96 d man possibly.Stay tuned
The 96 D mentioned on the London thread was DiLorenzo. Unless there are multiple high picks coming to Sarnia with him it wouldn't make any sense at all for Sarnia to make the deal mentioned in the London thread. Not going to elaborate on the public forum, but DiLorenzo's play was very underwhelming in London's camp and while he has some potential to a team who lacks D and has the time and space to let him learn, Sarnia has a deep blueline and based on his play and the play of those in camp for Sarnia he rightfully wouldn't be anything more than a 8-9 defenseman on their depth chart.

Looking at the returning D next year he could be in tough to make the team next year. I would imagine they would sign a 95/96 D essentially for nothing before giving a key asset for one who would provide either the same or less value to the team.

The Knights have always been able to maximize the return on their talent, so you can never say never, but it just wouldn't make sense if DiLorenzo was anything but an add on. Logically At the absolute most I'd imagine London should be able to get a 4th or 5th round pick from a team who still believes in DiLorenzo's potential and has room on their blueline to develop him. I'm all for the kid getting a chance, but Sarnia just isn't a logical destination for him.

Closed Thread