Notices

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Agreed with the insight Ryan.

I still think/hope London gets a deal for Basso done by first of Oct or just after.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

I still think/hope London gets a deal for Basso done by first of Oct or just after.
There is no doubt tha Delorenzo would only be but a piece of a deal for Basso,agree multiple picks plus maybe a another player or combination of things,I too think London winds up with him sooner then later
There are other teams interested,Saginaw,Barrie,maybe Guelph,especially if Finn cant stay healthy,one would have thought Erie,but with their recent deal with Sudbury,although I think he def is better then Abraham

Old
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
RyanHPscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
There is no doubt tha Delorenzo would only be but a piece of a deal for Basso,agree multiple picks plus maybe a another player or combination of things,I too think London winds up with him sooner then later
There are other teams interested,Saginaw,Barrie,maybe Guelph,especially if Finn cant stay healthy,one would have thought Erie,but with their recent deal with Sudbury,although I think he def is better then Abraham
I believe the trade market and how it's handled in the league will be much different this year.

By the sounds of it several teams are looking to make their moves sooner rather than later because there's a limited amount of veteran talent with the teams pursuing them having similar needs. Any team not planning on contending and have a solid 19/20 year old defenseman or goaltender are working from a position of strength.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:10 PM
aresknights

We were talking bout that exact thing yesterday, Ryan.
ESP with an additional spot this year (even more "contenders" )
I've always been a fan of getting it done early, ESP if there's a guy you really want but even more important this year for the reasons u brought up.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Shaun Bisson

http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/09/17...e-sarnia-sting

Last edited by Shaun Bisson: 09-17-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old
09-17-2013, 02:48 PM
RossyYoungblood
Director of Scouting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Not overly surprising. Hopefully a deal gets done sooner or later. I know the Sting said they won't trade him for anything less than full value but him holding out for a select few teams isn't going to net them full value. Never does.

Besides London, Guelph and Barrie (just assumptions) I'd be curious to what other teams are on his list.

Old
09-17-2013, 02:48 PM
hockeylegend11

Sting pickup 19 year old goalie Taylor Dupuis from Sarnia for 6th, pick in 2015,
which means no need of o/a goalie Dawe

meant to write from Sudbury

Last edited by hockeylegend11: 09-17-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: wrong team acquires from
Old
09-17-2013, 02:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Not overly surprising. Hopefully a deal gets done sooner or later. I know the Sting said they won't trade him for anything less than full value but him holding out for a select few teams isn't going to net them full value. Never does.

Besides London, Guelph and Barrie (just assumptions) I'd be curious to what other teams are on his list.
Saginaw has been trying all summer to get him,that I do know

Old
09-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Schlerk

i predicted a basso deal a while back so not at all surprised. love to see basso go to london for a quality player and picks. he'd probly be on a mem cup winner. he deserves it.

Old
09-17-2013, 04:48 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Saginaw has been trying all summer to get him,that I do know
I am a little confused----Basso refuses to report to the team, yet it seems they are waiting for a list of teams from him. If he has a no trade clause, and refuses to report, the Sting should take offers from all teams, pick the best--- and if he doesn't want to go there, then tell him he will be sitting a long time. Its ridiculous that players bargain to get a no trade--- then want to choose where they go if they aren't happy.

Old
09-17-2013, 04:52 PM
dansk55

any information or suggestions what the lines may be to start the season? As for Basso cannot be too much of a surprise. As one suggested, no A means good as gone.

Old
09-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Schlerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
I am a little confused----Basso refuses to report to the team, yet it seems they are waiting for a list of teams from him. If he has a no trade clause, and refuses to report, the Sting should take offers from all teams, pick the best--- and if he doesn't want to go there, then tell him he will be sitting a long time. Its ridiculous that players bargain to get a no trade--- then want to choose where they go if they aren't happy.
did he refuse to report or was told to stay home?

Old
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlerk View Post
did he refuse to report or was told to stay home?
Alex Basso has elected to not report to the Sting while they search for a trade, but he has not supplied them with a list of teams he is willing to move to. Because he has a no-trade agreement with the Sting, Sarnia must run a trade proposal by Basso before it goes through.

Old
09-17-2013, 06:53 PM
massey

Dear Alex,
We are having problem negotiating with your team in a trade.Please do not report to your team so we can get you for nothing.History has shown they will cave and give their O/A away.We can't offer you any compensation as that would a violation of OHL rules.Please accept the 1000 bushel of soybeans from our farm which is a seperate business and they will never catch it.Signed Mark and Dale

Old
09-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Dear Alex,
We are having problem negotiating with your team in a trade.Please do not report to your team so we can get you for nothing.History has shown they will cave and give their O/A away.We can't offer you any compensation as that would a violation of OHL rules.Please accept the 1000 bushel of soybeans from our farm which is a seperate business and they will never catch it.Signed Mark and Dale
I actually laughed out loud at this.

Old
09-17-2013, 09:14 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Dear Alex,

As funny as your post is, I think it is great for the Sting and for Basso to stay home and wait for a trade. It will give the young guys a chance to play, plus you don't have to worry about Basso getting hurt.

If he is going to be traded to London, I don't see it happening till mid October when the Knights know exactly who is coming back.

Old
09-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Schlerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Alex Basso has elected to not report to the Sting while they search for a trade, but he has not supplied them with a list of teams he is willing to move to. Because he has a no-trade agreement with the Sting, Sarnia must run a trade proposal by Basso before it goes through.
ah..ok. thanks. at least off the ice he won't get injured. you'd think london would be on his 'list'.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:34 AM
bobbygore

Quote:
Dear Alex,

.lol.The part about giving the OA away for practically nothing is actually true though. Rarely will a team get fair value if the player refuses to report.In a normal situation the Sting should get at least a second rounder plus other consideration for a player like Basso. Hopefully the lack of good veteran help around the league will improve the Sting's bargaining position.

Last edited by bobbygore: 09-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old
09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

If you look at my posts in the London forum it was MONTHS ago that I started saying I would love to have Basso on the Knights.
Question for Sting fans:
What would YOU like to see come your way for him? (if you want to be unrealistic and say Horvat, Domi and picks then feel free....but in reality, you are looking at a young dman to replace him like a DiLorenzo +)
Just curious to see what your wishlist is

Old
09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
.lol.The part about giving the OA away for practically nothing is actually true though. Rarely will a team get fair value if the player refuses to report.In a normal situation the Sting should get at least a second rounder plus other consideration for a player like Basso. Hopefully the lack of good veteran help around the league will improve the Sting's bargaining position.
I disagree. Sting are in a good position because Basso is the one that decided to stay home. Sarnia never sent him home. If the organization sends you home that shows other teams there's an issue and don't want any part of the player.

Old
09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
If you look at my posts in the London forum it was MONTHS ago that I started saying I would love to have Basso on the Knights.
Question for Sting fans:
What would YOU like to see come your way for him? (if you want to be unrealistic and say Horvat, Domi and picks then feel free....but in reality, you are looking at a young dman to replace him like a DiLorenzo +)
IMO, picks and a 17yr old. I don't know who London has at 17 to name a player but from my understanding of DiLorenzo, unless the picks are high picks, don't want him.

Old
09-18-2013, 12:05 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Question for Sting fans:
Well if Sefton returned a 3rd and 6th rounder,then Basso should return 2nd,5th and whatever.Personally,I dont think we need any player in return.We have some young d man we could develop on our own this year such as King who is a Basso style player.On the forward side of things we sent some good looking prospects packing this year back to Jr B so dont need anyone for there.Now I do realize that Basso's value could be affected with his no trade clause and sitting out while he waits but we dont have to hopefully worry about an injury.

Old
09-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
IMO, picks and a 17yr old. I don't know who London has at 17 to name a player but from my understanding of DiLorenzo, unless the picks are high picks, don't want him.
That's a bit surprising but ok, you have your reasons.
17 year olds =
Defence - Centoramme, Garrow, Jamieson and newly acquired Stewart.
Forwards - Dvorak, Jammes, Macdonald, Marner (is 16).

For all inents and purposes Dvorak and Marner are untouchable.

Quote:
Well if Sefton returned a 3rd and 6th rounder,then Basso should return 2nd,5th and whatever.Personally,I dont think we need any player in return.We have some young d man we could develop on our own this year such as King who is a Basso style player.On the forward side of things we sent some good looking prospects packing this year back to Jr B so dont need anyone for there.Now I do realize that Basso's value could be affected with his no trade clause and sitting out while he waits but we dont have to hopefully worry about an injury.
So without a player coming back you'd be ok with just picks....which makes sense considering Beauliau (whatever), spent em all. A 2nd and a 5th and whatever as you say it.....I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Old
09-18-2013, 02:44 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I disagree. Sting are in a good position because Basso is the one that decided to stay home. Sarnia never sent him home. If the organization sends you home that shows other teams there's an issue and don't want any part of the player.
The team is always at a disadvantage when trying to make a deal if the player is sitting at home not out on the ice contributing because that player is a non producing asset.(especially in the case of an OA whose shelf life is one season or less). Basso is obviously doing this to expedite the process and to further his own agenda to the detriment of the Sting. Would expect that he would only be willing to go to one of the high profile teams like the Knights.

The situation is made worse if the player is only willing to accept a trade to a handful of teams (as is rumoured to be the case here) . In this situation if the Sting got a second rounder it probably would be a good deal.

Old
09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
The team is always at a disadvantage when trying to make a deal if the player is sitting at home not out on the ice contributing because that player is a non producing asset.(especially in the case of an OA whose shelf life is one season or less). Basso is obviously doing this to expedite the process and to further his own agenda to the detriment of the Sting. Would expect that he would only be willing to go to one of the high profile teams like the Knights.

The situation is made worse if the player is only willing to accept a trade to a handful of teams (as is rumoured to be the case here) . In this situation if the Sting got a second rounder it probably would be a good deal.
I disagree, The deal will happen in mid October when the Knights know who they get back from NHL camps. Basso staying home, IMO, is more to keep from getting injured then cause he does not want to play for the Sting.

Him staying home is not going to effect his trade value.

Closed Thread