HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  #551
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Well I think he will start out on the third line.He is listed as a C & LW also.first line is set,2nd line will be Kodola,Nikandrov and Korostelev,3rd line will be Robichaud,Bushnell and Brown or Carnevele.I choose Bushnell to protect him and Brown.It appears he is small but has 12 goals and 12 assists in 13 games so far.Obviuosly can snipe but set up also.Who knows,he didnt cost much I Doubt. Sting has to do something to keep the little bit of crowd they get coming back. Who knows MIGHT make 1st round of playoffs.We do need secondary scoring for sure.
Secondary scoring... we barely have primary scoring... there are a quite a few goose eggs and ones on the stats ... i think we are looking at any scoring... and those who have been given a chance best start potting some goals or dust the bench.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 07:20 AM
  #552
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Secondary scoring... we barely have primary scoring... there are a quite a few goose eggs and ones on the stats ... i think we are looking at any scoring... and those who have been given a chance best start potting some goals or dust the bench.
Goldobin,Latta and Moore has 31 of 55 goals.Sorry that is primary scoring,add Deangelo's 7 goals,thats 38 of 55 goals.55 goals is about 1/3 way up the OHL in goals.We only need 1 goal to win a game technically lol.

massey is offline  
Old
11-07-2013, 03:39 PM
  #553
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Goldobin,Latta and Moore has 31 of 55 goals.Sorry that is primary scoring,add Deangelo's 7 goals,thats 38 of 55 goals.55 goals is about 1/3 way up the OHL in goals.We only need 1 goal to win a game technically lol.
so true. my err. I guess I see primary as more than 1 in 7/8

dansk55 is offline  
Old
11-09-2013, 10:39 PM
  #554
EON 93
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
EON 93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Erie,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,875
vCash: 400
Not sure if its been mentioned on here, but do any of you Sarnia fans see DeAngelo as having a bit of an attitude problem? He embellished a few times tonight and was jawing at the refs all game, got himself an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Smashed a stick in half on his way to the bench after getting out of the box, and he sat for the last five minutes of the game (which was nearly all Sarnia powerplay time because of bad reffing).

Good effort from Sarnia in the first but they fell apart after that. They just don't have the talent or the speed to keep up with the likes of Erie, London, SSM, or Guelph this season.

EON 93 is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 09:30 AM
  #555
lazyboy
Registered User
 
lazyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wallaceburg, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
DeAngelo is certainly known for having an attitude problem but I believe this would mark the first time its shown itself this year. No other prospect has ever baffled me like DeAngelo except for Ryan Ellis a few years ago. In Ellis' case his talent was unquestionable and his hockey sense was off the charts but his size always held me back from thinking he would be NHL material. For DeAngelo its his skills that are off the charts - skating is exceptional and offensive instincts are rivaled by no one, but lack of discipline, attitude and defensive awareness always drag him down. Looking at his positives would put him in the top 10 in the next draft, but all those other question marks really are a dark cloud hovering over his NHL potential. The coaching staff has really done a good job reeling in the negatives in his game - hopefully this was a one off and he continues what was becoming a great season for him.

lazyboy is offline  
Old
11-10-2013, 01:39 PM
  #556
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post
DeAngelo is certainly known for having an attitude problem but I believe this would mark the first time its shown itself this year. No other prospect has ever baffled me like DeAngelo except for Ryan Ellis a few years ago. In Ellis' case his talent was unquestionable and his hockey sense was off the charts but his size always held me back from thinking he would be NHL material. For DeAngelo its his skills that are off the charts - skating is exceptional and offensive instincts are rivaled by no one, but lack of discipline, attitude and defensive awareness always drag him down. Looking at his positives would put him in the top 10 in the next draft, but all those other question marks really are a dark cloud hovering over his NHL potential. The coaching staff has really done a good job reeling in the negatives in his game - hopefully this was a one off and he continues what was becoming a great season for him.
Have to agree with above.The reason he was upset was the terrible ref's last night.Calling off that Sting goal at the end of first period really through the game off for the Sting.Ref was clearly out of position.DeAngelo has done a decent job with temper so far.He was upset with his Sting players last night who couldnt pick up a man to save their soul..They are just totally bling in picking the trailing players up coming back to our own end.Rookies or not that is just basic minor hockey skills

massey is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 10:17 AM
  #557
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Have to agree with above.The reason he was upset was the terrible ref's last night.Calling off that Sting goal at the end of first period really through the game off for the Sting.Ref was clearly out of position.DeAngelo has done a decent job with temper so far.He was upset with his Sting players last night who couldnt pick up a man to save their soul..They are just totally bling in picking the trailing players up coming back to our own end.Rookies or not that is just basic minor hockey skills
when you want to get Tony D off his game, get him riled. Works everytime. It seems anything and everything works. Can't argue with the comments about skill but the more the team loses, the shorter the fuse...while he may argue about his teammates making mistakes, he should look in the mirror. His saving grace is his wheels to compensate for errors. Honestly, will it be long at this pace that he asks to be out.
Thought yesterday's game was the equivalent of a good midget game...nothing exceptional.
The sting lack consistency and no one wants to step up to plate. Or is perhaps they don't have the talent to step up...there is little depth and these second year players, whichever are left, are not showing improvement.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM
  #558
honey bee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Or is perhaps they don't have the talent to step up...there is little depth and these second year players, whichever are left, are not showing improvement.


I have to disagree with you Dansk. In my opinion, Alex Renaud has done a 180 since the start of the year. Then, I honestly wondered why he was even here, but someone must be working with him cuz he has improved a lot. Still a long way to go, but he at least is in the play now, making some hits and even scored! It seems his confidence level has gone up, which can go a long way. We have to remember, this was not going to be a great year and, unfortunately it is certainly turning out that way. Some nights though we do see a hard working bunch of kids and I have to give credit for that. It is not much fun for them to be losing most of their games.

honey bee is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 02:30 PM
  #559
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
The question for this year is will Sarnia finish last overall. Currently they hold that position - any trades would further solidify that.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-12-2013, 11:32 AM
  #560
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
The question for this year is will Sarnia finish last overall. Currently they hold that position - any trades would further solidify that.
If they do finish last overall that would be the third time in the last 8 years. In a 20 team league that's quite the achievement. Speaks volumes about the guys at the top.

jwalk is offline  
Old
11-12-2013, 11:47 AM
  #561
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
If they do finish last overall that would be the third time in the last 8 years. In a 20 team league that's quite the achievement. Speaks volumes about the guys at the top.
It does - and for the long suffering, we know it. It will be interesting to see who needs to fall on the sword this time. One of the most popular players of all time, who is now the coach? Bill Abercrombie? Seems right now Anthony DeAngelo is the best target.

On another note, you can't imagine the respect I have for the players that toil on this team and give it their all.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-12-2013, 01:59 PM
  #562
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
And here comes the negativity again.

Look at the bad luck the Sting have had in the past, Losing Galchenyuk to a knee injury for the whole season. The next year Losing Connor Murphy to a knee injury for the second half of the season, Galchenyuk making the NHL. And that is an example of just the last 2 seasons.

Do I wish the Sting have fared better? Of course I do. Who wouldn't, but I don't blame the owners for the lack of success.

I'm just glad I am not a Leafs fan. Couldn't handle two teams with continuous bad luck.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
11-12-2013, 07:09 PM
  #563
cupcrazyman
Homer J Fong
 
cupcrazyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,902
vCash: 500
looks like i'll be attending the battle for the basement vs Rangers

GO STING !!!!

cupcrazyman is offline  
Old
11-12-2013, 09:21 PM
  #564
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
And here comes the negativity again.

Look at the bad luck the Sting have had in the past, Losing Galchenyuk to a knee injury for the whole season. The next year Losing Connor Murphy to a knee injury for the second half of the season, Galchenyuk making the NHL. And that is an example of just the last 2 seasons.

Do I wish the Sting have fared better? Of course I do. Who wouldn't, but I don't blame the owners for the lack of success.
I'm just glad I am not a Leafs fan. Couldn't handle two teams with continuous bad luck.
Really ? What would you attribute to the stunning lack of success that this organization achieved since 94 ? There has only been one constant in this organization since 94 and that would be the owners. 20 years is a little long for a "bad luck streak " don't you think ? Do you think the revolving door of coaches , GM's and the continual penchant for trading high draft picks for immediate gratification might have something to do with it ? Who's responsible for making these decisions ?

jwalk is offline  
Old
11-12-2013, 09:46 PM
  #565
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
It does - and for the long suffering, we know it. It will be interesting to see who needs to fall on the sword this time. One of the most popular players of all time, who is now the coach? Bill Abercrombie? Seems right now Anthony DeAngelo is the best target.

On another note, you can't imagine the respect I have for the players that toil on this team and give it their all.
I couldn't agree more fan. I think this is a great group of kids and that Letowski is a good coach with a lot of potential, and he is doing the best he can under the circumstances.

Sarnia fans are among the best in the league and they deserve a lot better than what they've gotten over the years.

jwalk is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 07:59 AM
  #566
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
And here comes the negativity again.

Look at the bad luck the Sting have had in the past, Losing Galchenyuk to a knee injury for the whole season. The next year Losing Connor Murphy to a knee injury for the second half of the season, Galchenyuk making the NHL. And that is an example of just the last 2 seasons.

Do I wish the Sting have fared better? Of course I do. Who wouldn't, but I don't blame the owners for the lack of success.

I'm just glad I am not a Leafs fan. Couldn't handle two teams with continuous bad luck.
I've been lurking on the boards for awhile now. Finally going to start joining in. I agree with above (except I am also a leafs fan ) I am not a parent of a player nor do I work for the organization. I'm simply a fan of the team.
Last year was a run of bad luck for the reasons above. This year we have a very young team and are in a rebuild. There are other teams also in a rebuild that aren't faring any better. Have patience with that.
And before you go on and say we've had to be patient for years...think of this. If you owned the team, would you have sold it off years ago? Probably. The constant bashing of the team and the ownership and the empty seats wouldn't make anyone want to continue. Yet they do. Which means we are lucky enough to have an OHL team in our city. Because if the team ever does get sold, we won't be able to say that. It will be gone. We will no longer have the team here. Would that make everyone happy? I, for one, enjoy going to the games and look forward to the season starting back every year. Whether the product on the ice is the top product out there or at the bottom of the pack. Its live hockey. In our city. We don't have to drive anywhere else to go see it.
Someone on here said the Sting fans are the best in the league? Really? Yes there are a few out there that are Sting fans through and through. But the ones on here constantly bashing the individual players and not filling the seats in the arena...those are the best fans in the league? I wish the fans were the best in the league. I wish there was more support for the team. I'd love to go to the arena and see it full and loud. I'm sure coming out onto the ice and seeing all those empty seats doesn't help the kids on the team either. I'm sure they would love to see the seats full of loud, cheering fans as well.
Everyone has an issue with a player at some point and time. I do as well. I may discuss the play that went wrong or that I wished a player would step up and do more. I don't bash them personally though. They are kids.
Trevor is going to be an awesome coach for this team. He is a player's coach. He is working with alot of young, new kids right now. He will do what he needs to do. We also got some good picks back, which will help the team for next year.
I just hope we have a team here next year. I would truly miss going to the arena to watch some OHL action if the team wasn't here. Because the other option would to drive to London and become a Knights fan. And that is just wrong on so many levels!

stingfan333 is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 10:15 AM
  #567
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
A couple of years ago there were quite a few different posters debating this organization. There were quite a few posters accusing others of being negative and not supporting the team, etc…..

I have supported the team from the very first game and took the time to compile the statistics of the team’s performance over the tenure of the current ownership. The fact was that the results surprised me and most that read it. Sarnia was at or near the bottom of the categories that I tracked;

Regular season wins
Playoff games played
Playoff games won
Goals for
Goals against

Quite a few people posted their surprise and changed their opinion once they read the facts. Quite a few people PM’d me stating the same. In fact if you looked at the above categories it could be argued that only Kingston might have been a worse franchise over that period. I would also suggest, should Kingston do well this year, they will have better performances in some of the categories. The fact is that their numbers are even worse now.

I also showed that Sarnia was at one time near the top of the league in attendance – in fact, it could be argued that fans have supported the organization more than their record has warranted. I don’t think anyone can argue many have been patient to a fault. Regardless many people have stopped attending and many have stopped for other reasons than their record (i.e. customer service once in the building).

It is highly doubtful the Sting will make the playoffs this year – history suggests that next year will also be difficult - look at the record. I also posted last year that it is highly unlikely that the Sting will move if sold – there just are not facilities like this available to move to and communities are not flush with cash and the will to spend millions on a new facility. The fact is that our facility is far above average.

Meanwhile attendance continues to slide – I have pointed out that the 2200 – 2500 average attendance mark seems to be the number (unless subsidized) that teams tend to sell. Not sure if this is still the case, but again, if you graph average attendance, history shows that attendance will drop next year again – possibly taking an up turn the following year if the team can retain exciting players (Stamkos, Yakupov, Galenchuk…). Facts also support that the up turn is not as high as it was the previous two years, meaning every up and down cycle results in a lower peak and deeper valley.

Those are the facts, they don’t leave much room for misinterpretation.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 10:26 AM
  #568
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfan333 View Post
I've been lurking on the boards for awhile now. Finally going to start joining in. I agree with above (except I am also a leafs fan ) I am not a parent of a player nor do I work for the organization. I'm simply a fan of the team.
Last year was a run of bad luck for the reasons above. This year we have a very young team and are in a rebuild. There are other teams also in a rebuild that aren't faring any better. Have patience with that.
And before you go on and say we've had to be patient for years...think of this. If you owned the team, would you have sold it off years ago? Probably. The constant bashing of the team and the ownership and the empty seats wouldn't make anyone want to continue. Yet they do. Which means we are lucky enough to have an OHL team in our city. Because if the team ever does get sold, we won't be able to say that. It will be gone. We will no longer have the team here. Would that make everyone happy? I, for one, enjoy going to the games and look forward to the season starting back every year. Whether the product on the ice is the top product out there or at the bottom of the pack. Its live hockey. In our city. We don't have to drive anywhere else to go see it.
Someone on here said the Sting fans are the best in the league? Really? Yes there are a few out there that are Sting fans through and through. But the ones on here constantly bashing the individual players and not filling the seats in the arena...those are the best fans in the league? I wish the fans were the best in the league. I wish there was more support for the team. I'd love to go to the arena and see it full and loud. I'm sure coming out onto the ice and seeing all those empty seats doesn't help the kids on the team either. I'm sure they would love to see the seats full of loud, cheering fans as well.
Everyone has an issue with a player at some point and time. I do as well. I may discuss the play that went wrong or that I wished a player would step up and do more. I don't bash them personally though. They are kids.
Trevor is going to be an awesome coach for this team. He is a player's coach. He is working with alot of young, new kids right now. He will do what he needs to do. We also got some good picks back, which will help the team for next year.
I just hope we have a team here next year. I would truly miss going to the arena to watch some OHL action if the team wasn't here. Because the other option would to drive to London and become a Knights fan. And that is just wrong on so many levels!
Great Post

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 11:12 AM
  #569
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Really ? What would you attribute to the stunning lack of success that this organization achieved since 94 ? There has only been one constant in this organization since 94 and that would be the owners. 20 years is a little long for a "bad luck streak " don't you think ? Do you think the revolving door of coaches , GM's and the continual penchant for trading high draft picks for immediate gratification might have something to do with it ? Who's responsible for making these decisions ?
1st off, The top teams consistently in the West for the last while. London, Kitchner, and Plymouth. The only team out of that three that hasn't been in the subject of buying players(yes I know it hasn't been proven) is Plymouth.

Now for the owner's, the only thing I blame them for is there hiring of GM's and Coaches. That being said, I believe Letowski is a great hire.

As for the bolded statement, every team in the league does that when you believe you have a team that will go somewhere.

Go back to when Stamkos was here and we traded for Nikiforov and Perugini. If Nikiforov didn't get hurt right away and had time to gel with Stamkos before the playoffs, that would have been a different playoff result. "Bad Luck"

That offseason, know that Stamkos wasn't going to be back, we should of had 4 top OA, but with losing DiDimote and Perugini to the Pro ranks lost all trade to get some good young kids. There was a deal already set up to send Perugini to Windsor if he came back.

At the trade deadline that season, Alan Millar didn't trade away anybody because he had a clause in his contract that if the Sting made the playoffs, he would get an extension. He was looking out for himself and not the team. Unfortunately, he was fired.

Then you have 2 seasons ago, Sarnia gets matched up with Saginaw in the first round. The worst possible match up for the Sting. Any other team, the Sting would have gotten through the 1st round at least.

Then you have last years playoffs, Saginaw does it again, except this time they lose going into the playoffs and Sarnia doesn't get to play London. I'm not saying Sarnia would beat London, but the Sting would have put up a good fight. Instead, we get Plymouth, no chance to win that series for Sarnia.

So the results haven't been there, but we have been treated to being able to watch some exciting players over the years. Stamkos, Yakupov, Gally, Martin, Wilson, DeAngelo ...

This will be a though year for results, but, who is going to be the next Stamkos we can watch over the next couple of years.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
  #570
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
I think we can all agree that it's been trying times for Sting fans.

It's frustrating for people to watch flashes of promise that just fade away shortly after. I do know the ownership group and while I respect them for keeping the team in Sarnia, I find it hard not to criticize them for some of the changes they've made. Mostly reactional changes that could be justified (to some people) at the time but eventually didn't turn out good for the future of the franchise. No team is like the Knights with their ability to draft, recruit and ice competitive teams year after year because of these mentioned skills. Therefore, teams have to know exactly when to "go for it" and when to move their assets at the right time. I can understand the urge to go for it when you start to get a taste if winning (especially for teams that don't get to experience it often) but, in hindsight, Sarnia missed their opportunity to move generational OHL talents like Galchenyuk and Yakupov for massive returns. Injuries didn't help either though. Again, this is near impossible to predict at the time so I don't fault them on the direction the choose. It takes a lot of balls to "pack it in" and trade your franchise players when success is on the cusp but those chances often define a franchise for years to follow.

All in the past now and I think the team is moving in the right direction. Letowski and the staff seems to have an identity building with a young core. Bumps in the road (Hargrave/Addesi) and inconsistencies in play/effort will occur. But the important thing I would like to see happen is them to STICK to their plan and model. Let it play out. In the past, The Sting organization got into trouble when they made a reactionary change and jumped their course of action. That can't happen Anymore. Stick to a plan and see it out. It's the only way you'll determine if that decision is successful in the end.

It's looking like Sarnia will end up with a top 3 pick and from my days scouting the 98 draft class, the team will surely have a number of directions they can go. There's a small group at the top that are intriguing lead by defenseman Jakob Chychrun, Marlboros forward Mikey McLeod, Brandon Saigeon, Victor Mete as well as others like Adam Mescherin, Sam Dunn, Mitchell Mendonca. Sarnia is doing their homework as I've seen Nick Sinclair around the rinks as well as Glavin, Abercrombie and company. It's a good draft to have several good draft picks.

It will be interesting I see whether Sarnia shops DeAngelo hoping to get a return (like mentioned above)

Cheers


Last edited by dean youngblood82: 11-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 11:39 AM
  #571
jwalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AJAX
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfan333 View Post
I've been lurking on the boards for awhile now. Finally going to start joining in. I agree with above (except I am also a leafs fan ) I am not a parent of a player nor do I work for the organization. I'm simply a fan of the team.
Last year was a run of bad luck for the reasons above. This year we have a very young team and are in a rebuild. There are other teams also in a rebuild that aren't faring any better. Have patience with that.
And before you go on and say we've had to be patient for years...think of this. If you owned the team, would you have sold it off years ago? Probably. The constant bashing of the team and the ownership and the empty seats wouldn't make anyone want to continue. Yet they do. Which means we are lucky enough to have an OHL team in our city. Because if the team ever does get sold, we won't be able to say that. It will be gone. We will no longer have the team here. Would that make everyone happy? I, for one, enjoy going to the games and look forward to the season starting back every year. Whether the product on the ice is the top product out there or at the bottom of the pack. Its live hockey. In our city. We don't have to drive anywhere else to go see it.
Someone on here said the Sting fans are the best in the league? Really? Yes there are a few out there that are Sting fans through and through. But the ones on here constantly bashing the individual players and not filling the seats in the arena...those are the best fans in the league? I wish the fans were the best in the league. I wish there was more support for the team. I'd love to go to the arena and see it full and loud. I'm sure coming out onto the ice and seeing all those empty seats doesn't help the kids on the team either. I'm sure they would love to see the seats full of loud, cheering fans as well.
Everyone has an issue with a player at some point and time. I do as well. I may discuss the play that went wrong or that I wished a player would step up and do more. I don't bash them personally though. They are kids.
Trevor is going to be an awesome coach for this team. He is a player's coach. He is working with alot of young, new kids right now. He will do what he needs to do. We also got some good picks back, which will help the team for next year.
I just hope we have a team here next year. I would truly miss going to the arena to watch some OHL action if the team wasn't here. Because the other option would to drive to London and become a Knights fan. And that is just wrong on so many levels!
Wow. So what you're saying is that Sting fans should just be content that Sarnia has an OHL team and that no matter how inept management is and how poorly the team performs over the years that the fans should keep their mouths shut ?

The notion that that fans shouldn't express their discontent or that the team might leave sounds like the kind of rhetoric one would expect in a Police State.

In cased you missed ( and maybe you did ) the SSEC was packed every game in the late 90's and for a number of years after that until it became apparent that under the current regime the team could never succeed. To suggest that the Sting don't have great fans is insulting and just plain wrong. The fans aren't the problem.

jwalk is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 12:11 PM
  #572
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
All in the past now and I think the team is moving in the right direction. Letowski and the staff seems to have an identity building with a young core.
Really? What is it?

I respect your posts with regards to identifying and evaluating talent, but I don't buy the above statement.

Kyle Dubas publishes his direction - bold and many laughed at him, but...

The closest we have had to this was when Dave MacQueen wanted to model the team after the Plymouth franchise. We somehow are now moving in the right direction yet it isn't published.

For what it is worth, I hope you are right. Having said that, one thing that I have seen over the years is that it does take a team to make this happen - and the owner needs to be a key part of this. Has any thing changed here?

As for staff being around to get one of those top three picks? Great. That being said we have proven in the past that you need more than that. Sarnia has shown that they are capable of picking good talent with these top picks. I would suggest that until you start to be able to pick and develop consistently with lower picks you are going no where. You also need to have the ability to develop at all positions - something very sorely lacking here.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 01:08 PM
  #573
Greatger
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Greatger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Here in North Bay we had to contend with a mediocre team for a number of years before people just slowly stopped going. We had/have great fans here. But things weren’t getting done properly to make a solid ice product. The fans kept going basically to watch the visiting teams, but after a while it was hard to watch our home team not able to compete and attendance started to drop. The owners were well aware of what was going on and it was hard to convince them to do something about it. When they already had their mind made up to sell it they certainly were not going to spend any more money on it.
I just hope (for the fans sake), that this is not the case. I do agree with “fanado” that 2200 – 2500 average attendance mark seems to be the number that teams tend to sell. but in our case we were still getting those numbers and look what happened.
Now, 11 years later our dream came true and let’s just hope that history doesn’t repeat itself.
Stay positive

Greatger is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
  #574
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Really? What is it?

I respect your posts with regards to identifying and evaluating talent, but I don't buy the above statement.

Kyle Dubas publishes his direction - bold and many laughed at him, but...

The closest we have had to this was when Dave MacQueen wanted to model the team after the Plymouth franchise. We somehow are now moving in the right direction yet it isn't published.

For what it is worth, I hope you are right. Having said that, one thing that I have seen over the years is that it does take a team to make this happen - and the owner needs to be a key part of this. Has any thing changed here?

As for staff being around to get one of those top three picks? Great. That being said we have proven in the past that you need more than that. Sarnia has shown that they are capable of picking good talent with these top picks. I would suggest that until you start to be able to pick and develop consistently with lower picks you are going no where. You also need to have the ability to develop at all positions - something very sorely lacking here.
I guess I didn't want my post to be too long and drawn out and didn't really elaborate.

You can see that Letowski is trying (key word) to implement a high paced style revolved around aggressiveness in the puck. No, the team hasn't perfected it but there are flashes. Remember it's early in his regime as HC. It'll take some more talented players to come in (via the draft and what not) to see if it works. Maybe they get there and maybe they don't. Again, it will take time to see if players continue to buy in. Main point is that they need to stick to their plan and style, whatever that may be. I'm not behind their strategic planning so I don't know

Regarding the drafting, I also have had mixed feelings about their selections. I loved their 2013 draft but the 2012 draft, not do much. Felt they were trying to address a team deficiency that year (lack of size) and overcompensated and reached on some of their picks, specifically Renaud in the 2nd. He was considered more of 3rd/4th rd type.

Every team has to make that crucial decision on who to select when their top pick comes due but Heading into the 2014 draft, I expect that decision to be even more difficult. There's not a lot separating this class' top players (that may change). There's a variety of differing talents that each will offer their own unique skill set so it might come down to picking the player you see fitting into your lineup since it is tightly grouped.

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 01:33 PM
  #575
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Wow. So what you're saying is that Sting fans should just be content that Sarnia has an OHL team and that no matter how inept management is and how poorly the team performs over the years that the fans should keep their mouths shut ?

The notion that that fans shouldn't express their discontent or that the team might leave sounds like the kind of rhetoric one would expect in a Police State.

In cased you missed ( and maybe you did ) the SSEC was packed every game in the late 90's and for a number of years after that until it became apparent that under the current regime the team could never succeed. To suggest that the Sting don't have great fans is insulting and just plain wrong. The fans aren't the problem.
Apparently everyone else understood what I was saying except you. Which is fine. I'm not going to explain it again.
Expressing discontent is also fine....unless of course that's all you do. A police state???? Dramatic much???
The Sting do have some great fans. I'm not saying they don't. I think its amazing that there are fans that have been there since day one and continue to be. Those are definitely true fans!! I see alot of the same faces at the arena - they are supporting the team as well. Those fans aren't the problem and I'm not saying they are. They do have some good fans!! BUT they also have so called "fans" that do nothing but tweet or post negativity about the team, the players and the ownership. Those fans ARE a problem and don't think they aren't.
This is going to be a tough year for the team. Anyone going into this season with their eyes open would know and expect that. I know someone that didn't renew their season tickets because they said the team wasn't going to do well this year so why go. He has been buying tickets and coming to the games anyway because he enjoys watching the game. And no, we don't have a Yakki, Gally, Stammer. We don't have the goal scoring team this year of Sarault/Boucher. We have a young team that will need to grow and learn. I fully support them while they are doing that. But they are heading into the right direction under the right coach that will bring them there.

stingfan333 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.