HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-13-2013, 01:39 PM
  #576
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I guess I didn't want my post to be too long and drawn out and didn't really elaborate.

You can see that Letowski is trying (key word) to implement a high paced style revolved around aggressiveness in the puck. No, the team hasn't perfected it but there are flashes. Remember it's early in his regime as HC. It'll take some more talented players to come in (via the draft and what not) to see if it works. Maybe they get there and maybe they don't. Again, it will take time to see if players continue to buy in. Main point is that they need to stick to their plan and style, whatever that may be. I'm not behind their strategic planning so I don't know

Regarding the drafting, I also have had mixed feelings about their selections. I loved their 2013 draft but the 2012 draft, not do much. Felt they were trying to address a team deficiency that year (lack of size) and overcompensated and reached on some of their picks, specifically Renaud in the 2nd. He was considered more of 3rd/4th rd type.

Every team has to make that crucial decision on who to select when their top pick comes due but Heading into the 2014 draft, I expect that decision to be even more difficult. There's not a lot separating this class' top players (that may change). There's a variety of differing talents that each will offer their own unique skill set so it might come down to picking the player you see fitting into your lineup since it is tightly grouped.
I agree with what you have said here - they did the same over compensation thing regarding local players several years before.

I will also agree that it is difficult to truly create a team identity without the ability to draft your players for a period - the problem here has been that management never seems to give anyone the chance. Which gets to my point - what has changed?

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 02:49 PM
  #577
bobbygore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfan333 View Post
Apparently everyone else understood what I was saying except you. Which is fine. I'm not going to explain it again.
Expressing discontent is also fine....unless of course that's all you do. A police state???? Dramatic much???
The Sting do have some great fans. I'm not saying they don't. I think its amazing that there are fans that have been there since day one and continue to be. Those are definitely true fans!! I see alot of the same faces at the arena - they are supporting the team as well. Those fans aren't the problem and I'm not saying they are. They do have some good fans!! BUT they also have so called "fans" that do nothing but tweet or post negativity about the team, the players and the ownership. Those fans ARE a problem and don't think they aren't.
This is going to be a tough year for the team. Anyone going into this season with their eyes open would know and expect that. I know someone that didn't renew their season tickets because they said the team wasn't going to do well this year so why go. He has been buying tickets and coming to the games anyway because he enjoys watching the game. And no, we don't have a Yakki, Gally, Stammer. We don't have the goal scoring team this year of Sarault/Boucher. We have a young team that will need to grow and learn. I fully support them while they are doing that. But they are heading into the right direction under the right coach that will bring them there.
I read your original post and I don't understand what you're saying. You may want to re read your own post because there seems to be a lot of backpedalling going on .

You clearly said the negativity towards the owners must stop or it could make the owners want to sell.

You also did say that the Sting fans should just be happy just to have an OHL team : " "Whether the product on the ice is the top product out there or at the bottom of the pack. Its live hockey. In our city. We don't have to drive anywhere else to go see it. " .


Then you did question the quality of the Sarnia fans : " Someone on here said the Sting fans are the best in the league? Really? Yes there are a few out there that are Sting fans through and through. But the ones on here constantly bashing the individual players and not filling the seats in the arena...those are the best fans in the league? I wish the fans were the best in the league. "

Once upon a time the RBC Centre was full to the rafters and the place rocked. But like the poster from North Bay had indicated happened with the Centennials years and years of mediocrity caused the fan base to dwindle. The reason the place is empty is not because Sarnia doesn't have great and loyal fans , it's because the team has been mediocre for years. If the Hunter's owned this franchise I'd bet there would've been a sellout every game for the last 10 years. Don't point the gun in the wrong direction.

bobbygore is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
  #578
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
I read your original post and I don't understand what you're saying. You may want to re read your own post because there seems to be a lot of backpedalling going on .

You clearly said the negativity towards the owners must stop or it could make the owners want to sell.

You also did say that the Sting fans should just be happy just to have an OHL team : " "Whether the product on the ice is the top product out there or at the bottom of the pack. Its live hockey. In our city. We don't have to drive anywhere else to go see it. " .

Then you did question the quality of the Sarnia fans : " Someone on here said the Sting fans are the best in the league? Really? Yes there are a few out there that are Sting fans through and through. But the ones on here constantly bashing the individual players and not filling the seats in the arena...those are the best fans in the league? I wish the fans were the best in the league. "

Once upon a time the RBC Centre was full to the rafters and the place rocked. But like the poster from North Bay had indicated happened with the Centennials years and years of mediocrity caused the fan base to dwindle. The reason the place is empty is not because Sarnia doesn't have great and loyal fans , it's because the team has been mediocre for years. If the Hunter's owned this franchise I'd bet there would've been a sellout every game for the last 10 years. Don't point the gun in the wrong direction.
Great post. Add to this we once had Mark Hunter in this organization, albeit early. Ownership was able to blame him for the lack of the team's success.

If only we knew....

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 03:53 PM
  #579
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
now that we've hammered that, and come to the realization our team will not finish first, but closer to the bottom. Here's a question.
If we finish last, we get the first import pick. If memory serves me correctly, we cannot trade it, so what do we do with that? Which Russian do we replace? or do we pass on the pick. If we pick IMO opinion, it will be a Russian again via the Igor pipeline.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 04:16 PM
  #580
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
now that we've hammered that, and come to the realization our team will not finish first, but closer to the bottom. Here's a question.
If we finish last, we get the first import pick. If memory serves me correctly, we cannot trade it, so what do we do with that? Which Russian do we replace? or do we pass on the pick. If we pick IMO opinion, it will be a Russian again via the Igor pipeline.
It hasn't been hammered, but...

In think you can trade your number one import pick, not your ohl first round pick.

With the number one import pick you should know who will report to you. You make the decision based on the quality of that player vs what you have.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 04:35 PM
  #581
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfan333 View Post
Apparently everyone else understood what I was saying except you. Which is fine. I'm not going to explain it again.
Expressing discontent is also fine....unless of course that's all you do. A police state???? Dramatic much???
The Sting do have some great fans. I'm not saying they don't. I think its amazing that there are fans that have been there since day one and continue to be. Those are definitely true fans!! I see alot of the same faces at the arena - they are supporting the team as well. Those fans aren't the problem and I'm not saying they are. They do have some good fans!! BUT they also have so called "fans" that do nothing but tweet or post negativity about the team, the players and the ownership. Those fans ARE a problem and don't think they aren't.
This is going to be a tough year for the team. Anyone going into this season with their eyes open would know and expect that. I know someone that didn't renew their season tickets because they said the team wasn't going to do well this year so why go. He has been buying tickets and coming to the games anyway because he enjoys watching the game. And no, we don't have a Yakki, Gally, Stammer. We don't have the goal scoring team this year of Sarault/Boucher. We have a young team that will need to grow and learn. I fully support them while they are doing that. But they are heading into the right direction under the right coach that will bring them there.
I really didn't understand either, but for a first post it is more likely you are a shill rather than a lurked....

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 04:46 PM
  #582
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
It hasn't been hammered, but...

In think you can trade your number one import pick, not your ohl first round pick.

With the number one import pick you should know who will report to you. You make the decision based on the quality of that player vs what you have.
Not sure it actually went thru, but I think it did, .... According to CHL sources, the three commissioners – Dave Branch (OHL), Ron Robison (WHL) and Courteau (QMJHL) - met in January at the Top Prospects Game in Halifax to discuss changes to the current import draft. Under the new rules, teams will be prevented from trading import draft picks and there will be a year-long moratorium on the trading of imports once they have been selected. All 60 CHL clubs will still be allowed to carry a maximum of two imports.

So... if you can't trade, and ur getting a good kick at the cat, what's ur move?

dansk55 is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 05:00 PM
  #583
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,513
vCash: 500
Per Twitter:

Shaun Bisson ‏@ObserverShaun 1m

Can confirm. Sarnia has traded their captain, Craig Duininck to Sudbury.

OHLTG is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 06:10 PM
  #584
BostonOz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
This trade is all about the 2nd round pick which is really London's 2nd rnd pick. As a Sudbury fan what can you tell us about Duininck? We have heard he is a great shot blocker and a great leader.

BostonOz is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 06:14 PM
  #585
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonOz View Post
This trade is all about the 2nd round pick which is really London's 2nd rnd pick. As a Sudbury fan what can you tell us about Duininck? We have heard he is a great shot blocker and a great leader.
Great shot blocker,great leader,good hitter,hard shot,exc d man.He will be missed in sarnia for sure.Wish him much luck.

massey is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 06:18 PM
  #586
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Not sure it actually went thru, but I think it did, .... According to CHL sources, the three commissioners Dave Branch (OHL), Ron Robison (WHL) and Courteau (QMJHL) - met in January at the Top Prospects Game in Halifax to discuss changes to the current import draft. Under the new rules, teams will be prevented from trading import draft picks and there will be a year-long moratorium on the trading of imports once they have been selected. All 60 CHL clubs will still be allowed to carry a maximum of two imports.

So... if you can't trade, and ur getting a good kick at the cat, what's ur move?
You can not trade import picks, that's been passed.

SeanLafortune is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 06:38 PM
  #587
BostonOz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Great shot blocker,great leader,good hitter,hard shot,exc d man.He will be missed in sarnia for sure.Wish him much luck.
Thanks Massey, He will be a much needed addition to our small , often over powered defence

BostonOz is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 06:40 PM
  #588
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfan333 View Post
I've been lurking on the boards for awhile now. Finally going to start joining in. I agree with above (except I am also a leafs fan ) I am not a parent of a player nor do I work for the organization. I'm simply a fan of the team.
Last year was a run of bad luck for the reasons above. This year we have a very young team and are in a rebuild. There are other teams also in a rebuild that aren't faring any better. Have patience with that.
And before you go on and say we've had to be patient for years...think of this. If you owned the team, would you have sold it off years ago? Probably. The constant bashing of the team and the ownership and the empty seats wouldn't make anyone want to continue. Yet they do. Which means we are lucky enough to have an OHL team in our city. Because if the team ever does get sold, we won't be able to say that. It will be gone. We will no longer have the team here. Would that make everyone happy? I, for one, enjoy going to the games and look forward to the season starting back every year. Whether the product on the ice is the top product out there or at the bottom of the pack. Its live hockey. In our city. We don't have to drive anywhere else to go see it.
Someone on here said the Sting fans are the best in the league? Really? Yes there are a few out there that are Sting fans through and through. But the ones on here constantly bashing the individual players and not filling the seats in the arena...those are the best fans in the league? I wish the fans were the best in the league. I wish there was more support for the team. I'd love to go to the arena and see it full and loud. I'm sure coming out onto the ice and seeing all those empty seats doesn't help the kids on the team either. I'm sure they would love to see the seats full of loud, cheering fans as well.
Everyone has an issue with a player at some point and time. I do as well. I may discuss the play that went wrong or that I wished a player would step up and do more. I don't bash them personally though. They are kids.
Trevor is going to be an awesome coach for this team. He is a player's coach. He is working with alot of young, new kids right now. He will do what he needs to do. We also got some good picks back, which will help the team for next year.
I just hope we have a team here next year. I would truly miss going to the arena to watch some OHL action if the team wasn't here. Because the other option would to drive to London and become a Knights fan. And that is just wrong on so many levels!
Never seen anyone on here BASHING players.Yes we do offer our opinions,our evaluation but not BASHING.Yes,if a player keeps making the same mistakes over and over he may get some criticism,but not BASHED. I guess because I will comment on some of these kids mistakes and also praise them that I am a terribble fan.That has nothing to do with the fact that we have travelled to Plymouth,Saginaw,London,Windsor,Kitchener,Ottawa,B ellville,Kingston to support the team and yes wearing our sting jerseys to support our Sting.Also buy extra tickets other than my season tickets to give out to those who are unavailable to buy them.Also that we go to the HIVE for supper once a week or the fact we buy 50/50 tickets and purchased many items from the silent auction or that we have a room full of jerseys,coats,hats, from the Sting gift shop.Also the fact we come to support the team at Sting breakfast and barbeque to support the players.Oh yes and one of the few that stand up after every goal clapping in praise or staying to the end of the game for 3 stars and give them a round of applause.No not here bragging,but takes the above comments with great insult.Just because we get on a hockey site where hopefully intelligent fans can discuss the team we are here to support.Yes they are kids and yes obviously we are patient.Look at our record.I dont really care if we are a contender but when we watch our forwards skate back and not even pick a man up.Simple minor hockey skills.As for being a leaf fan wont comment.

massey is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 07:29 PM
  #589
StungbySting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Looks like the Sting have finally decided to go into tank mode. Not a bad year to decide to do it considering the OHL gets the 1st Euro pick as well. Be nice to see the 1st overall OHL pick plus the 1st overall Euro pick. Thinking Kodola should start to pack his bags because I doubt he is back in Sarnia next year.

Hopefully Owen Sound can pick up a 2014 2nd round pick giving the Sting 4 picks in the top 40. Fazio needs to make the jump to the OHL next year and be solid otherwise it's a top 5 pick again.

StungbySting is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 10:23 PM
  #590
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Great shot blocker,great leader,good hitter,hard shot,exc d man.He will be missed in sarnia for sure.Wish him much luck.
gonna miss Dunner... solid asset.
So essentially we swapped picks...Kinda think we got less than market value, at least a younger player, not an OA.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 10:27 PM
  #591
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
What's a shill? I have been lurking on the boards for a long time now. I usually come on and read what's being said, esp around trade times. There are a couple of here that I trust their opinion. I've never posted, although there have been a few times I've wanted to, because I didn't want to deal with the backlash of posting an option. Easier to just read and log out.
I didn't backpedal in anything I posted. The speculation of the team possibly being sold has been around for awhile now. That's not news. I never said they would sell if because of negativity to the ownership ONLY. I'm sure there would be many factors involved if it came to that. Just as I'm sure if it was sold, it probably wouldn't stay here. Be nice if it would, but doubtful.
I said I'm happy that there is an OHL team in our town. We ARE lucky to have an OHL team to go watch. I enjoy going to the games. Some years they will win, some years they will lose. We made it to the playoffs the last two years and unfortunately drew the short end of the stick with the teams we ended up playing against. I really wish we had drawn London last year. I think we would have put up a good fight with them. We seemed to do well against them last year.
I never said all fans are bad. I said there are some good, true fans. But that one true fan may tell one other how much he liked going to a game the night before. That one bad fan will tell 20 how much he hated going to the game the night before.

Some will understand what I'm trying to say and some will pick it apart and read what they want to read. Some will agree to disagree and move on and some will just want to continue to argue.

Time to move on.

Good luck to Dunner - wish him all the best with his new team and with whatever happens after his OHL career comes to an end. Hopefully he gets a contract!

Tomorrow we play Kitchener - who is also in a rebuild and not doing all that well. Hopefully we come out with the win. Which will be a good feeling for everyone!

stingfan333 is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 07:30 AM
  #592
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
gonna miss Dunner... solid asset.
So essentially we swapped picks...Kinda think we got less than market value, at least a younger player, not an OA.
McDowell is an OA

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 07:31 AM
  #593
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Never seen anyone on here BASHING players.Yes we do offer our opinions,our evaluation but not BASHING.Yes,if a player keeps making the same mistakes over and over he may get some criticism,but not BASHED. I guess because I will comment on some of these kids mistakes and also praise them that I am a terribble fan.That has nothing to do with the fact that we have travelled to Plymouth,Saginaw,London,Windsor,Kitchener,Ottawa,B ellville,Kingston to support the team and yes wearing our sting jerseys to support our Sting.Also buy extra tickets other than my season tickets to give out to those who are unavailable to buy them.Also that we go to the HIVE for supper once a week or the fact we buy 50/50 tickets and purchased many items from the silent auction or that we have a room full of jerseys,coats,hats, from the Sting gift shop.Also the fact we come to support the team at Sting breakfast and barbeque to support the players.Oh yes and one of the few that stand up after every goal clapping in praise or staying to the end of the game for 3 stars and give them a round of applause.No not here bragging,but takes the above comments with great insult.Just because we get on a hockey site where hopefully intelligent fans can discuss the team we are here to support.Yes they are kids and yes obviously we are patient.Look at our record.I dont really care if we are a contender but when we watch our forwards skate back and not even pick a man up.Simple minor hockey skills.As for being a leaf fan wont comment.
Damn, I want your job.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
  #594
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
McDowell is an OA
yes he is... to get something from the deal, wouldn't you think a younger player? If memory serves me correct, getting Dunnick was costly. I think we sold too soon.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 07:54 AM
  #595
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
yes he is... to get something from the deal, wouldn't you think a younger player? If memory serves me correct, getting Dunnick was costly. I think we sold too soon.
I agree with you Dansk.I think closer to trade deadline there will be more teams looking for a quality d-man.I think a younger d-man would be available then.Oh well,no sense crying over spilled milk.

massey is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 09:38 AM
  #596
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
yes he is... to get something from the deal, wouldn't you think a younger player? If memory serves me correct, getting Dunnick was costly. I think we sold too soon.
We traded a 2nd, 5th and 14th for Duninick.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 09:44 AM
  #597
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
The second we got from Sudbury is actually London's 2nd according to some posts. This second, if next year will most likely be the last pick in the 2nd round.

Does anyone have a count our Sarnia's current draft picks for the next two years?

fanofdo is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 09:47 AM
  #598
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra
 
ErieOttersNews's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Erie,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,397
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
The second we got from Sudbury is actually London's 2nd according to some posts. This second, if next year will most likely be the last pick in the 2nd round.

Does anyone have a count our Sarnia's current draft picks for the next two years?
2014: 1st, LDN 2nd, 3rd, BAR 3rd, KGN 3rd, 4th, OS 4th, 6th, OSH 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, OS 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2015: 1st, OS 2nd, BAR 2nd, 3rd, BEL 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

LDN pick won't necessarily be the last pick, there's some stiff competition in the west this season.

ErieOttersNews is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 09:51 AM
  #599
bobbygore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
We traded a 2nd, 5th and 14th for Duninick.
And the team got 2 years out of him so for Abercrombie to get a 2nd round pick back is a good deal. I think Abercrombie and his group are doing a good job re stocking the cupboard cleaning up after Jocko's spending binge. I like every deal he's done so far. Kind of reminiscent of what MacQueen did when he cleaned up Millar's mess. Could it be that the team is going back to the "brick by brick " strategy ? lol

bobbygore is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 11:43 AM
  #600
Stingland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Looking forward to the " Battle of the Basement" this evening.Lets see a return to the compete level that was there a few weeks ago.Hopefully Trevor can get the lads hyped up for a win over Kitchener.

Stingland is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.