Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2013, 10:15 AM
honey bee

vCash: 500
Rob Ciccarelli, when questioned about selling the team, has always said that it cannot be sold because of the agreement with the city involving the RBC Centre. So I would say that this is a first step to disengaging from that arrangement and being in a position to sell. Unfortunately, the lack of support from the people of Sarnia has brought this about. Good or bad, we have always bought season tickets so that this scenario would not come about. I know, I know, it has not always been pretty, but it is a great pastime in the winter and we enjoy going to the games. The first thing they should have done years ago is not have it live on TV. Stupid, but that was a Dave Branch rule. Anyway, I will be sorry to see the franchise go, as I am sure whoever buys it will move it as well.

Old
11-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey bee View Post
Rob Ciccarelli, when questioned about selling the team, has always said that it cannot be sold because of the agreement with the city involving the RBC Centre. So I would say that this is a first step to disengaging from that arrangement and being in a position to sell. Unfortunately, the lack of support from the people of Sarnia has brought this about. Good or bad, we have always bought season tickets so that this scenario would not come about. I know, I know, it has not always been pretty, but it is a great pastime in the winter and we enjoy going to the games. The first thing they should have done years ago is not have it live on TV. Stupid, but that was a Dave Branch rule. Anyway, I will be sorry to see the franchise go, as I am sure whoever buys it will move it as well.
You might want to recall the CFL's myopic policy in the late 70's and early 80's of blacking out local Argos games to the younger viewers had disastrous results on at least 2 generations of potential football fans who grew up on the NFL rather than their hometown Argos; the team and league have yet to recover.....there are two sides to every coin.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
You might want to recall the CFL's myopic policy in the late 70's and early 80's of blacking out local Argos games to the younger viewers had disastrous results on at least 2 generations of potential football fans who grew up on the NFL rather than their hometown Argos; the team and league have yet to recover.....there are two sides to every coin.
Not sure that we can make the same comparison with the CFL.The CFL teams have a huge draw in area.The smaller OHL city have suffered big time with games on TV.Lots of people have told me they just watch at home now. Dont get me wrong, good for the OHL overall but not small centers.Easier in a rebuild year to sit home and watch.Not only the team looses out on tickets sales,but beer, food, 50/50,auction items, and Sting store sales are lost.Good point though.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:45 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Rob stated last year that he doesn't mind taking losses with the Sting, but he doesn't want to lose anymore money because of the RBC Centre. He is not looking to sell the team, just looking to minimize his losses.

As for Moore, does anybody know what he did in that fight to get 8 games?

Old
11-27-2013, 12:54 PM
bcspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
He was involved in a second fight in a stoppage and while fighting he pulled the helmet off of Bratina, personally thought that Brown would get a game or two as well for going after Lodge after the whistle when Sadowy scored the last goal. The game just got out of hand at the end and resulted in a lot of players getting an early shower.

Old
11-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
2 games for 2nd fight. 1 game for removing Bratina's helmet. 5 games for violating league's diversity policy.

Old
11-27-2013, 04:54 PM
dansk55

Quote:
personally, i think if the team goes, and not sure where it would… another owner, like see this as an attractive location….mississauga just off top of head… we get more in one game than do in a week of sundays.

Old
11-27-2013, 06:29 PM
StungbySting

I don't want to believe the writing is on the wall for the Sting being sold and leaving town, but it seems more and more likely to happen. Last year the owners went public about how much money they were losing each year. Now they want to cut ties with the RBC Center. Does this mean a new owner has no contract obligations to the City of Sarnia? Do other OHL franchises own the rinks they play in or are they funded by the Cities? Could the City take ownership of the RBC Center and create some kind of revenue sharing agreement with the Sting that would help soften the impact on the tax payers? Something like $5 off every ticket for the first 3000 fans goes to the City and anything on top of that goes to the owners. The City could look to a company to take over the restaurant and food and beverage side of the operation while taking a percentage of sales.

The team needs to get someone in charge of making more up to date items for the Sting store. Half the things in there my grandparents wouldn't wear if it was given to them for free. There is an opportunity to make some good money here and promote the team at the same time.

There has to be a way to make this work in Sarnia. Hopefully the issues get worked out and the team stays, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are gone by the 2015-16 season.

Old
11-27-2013, 07:30 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post
I don't want to believe the writing is on the wall for the Sting being sold and leaving town, but it seems more and more likely to happen. Last year the owners went public about how much money they were losing each year. Now they want to cut ties with the RBC Center. Does this mean a new owner has no contract obligations to the City of Sarnia? Do other OHL franchises own the rinks they play in or are they funded by the Cities? Could the City take ownership of the RBC Center and create some kind of revenue sharing agreement with the Sting that would help soften the impact on the tax payers? Something like $5 off every ticket for the first 3000 fans goes to the City and anything on top of that goes to the owners. The City could look to a company to take over the restaurant and food and beverage side of the operation while taking a percentage of sales.

The team needs to get someone in charge of making more up to date items for the Sting store. Half the things in there my grandparents wouldn't wear if it was given to them for free. There is an opportunity to make some good money here and promote the team at the same time.

There has to be a way to make this work in Sarnia. Hopefully the issues get worked out and the team stays, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are gone by the 2015-16 season.
I am a Premium season ticket holder who opted out of the 3 year requirement and i believe I pay a penalty to the city.The penalty is to someone.LOL. help me out.Ownership was clear they were loosing money with the RBC but never said about the actual Sting team loosing to my Knowledge.One has to remember that the Sting franchise itself has increased in value also.Without owning the arena it would be up to the team to have an operating agreement with the city.Concessions etc would be part of the agreement.The city could look at a company to operate as it is in London.The Hunters have the best agreement in the CHL for their Knights with the city of London.

Old
11-27-2013, 07:55 PM
hardoil3232

sting

Quote:
larry ciccarelli would not want sting sold because matteo would have
to play jr c hockey at best

Old
11-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Shaun Bisson

Selling the building =/= selling the team. Very, very, very few sports teams (professional or otherwise) own the buildings they play in.

Much better situation to be a building tenant and focus on the hockey team, than being the owner of the building as well. Just my 2 cents.

Old
11-27-2013, 08:28 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoil3232 View Post
larry ciccarelli would not want sting sold because matteo would have
to play jr c hockey at best

Old
11-27-2013, 09:44 PM
puckhead1*

Well here is to a hopeful new owner

Old
11-28-2013, 09:07 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead1* View Post
Well here is to a hopeful new owner
Dont worry about this poster,he has stirring the pot on numerous sites and now is banned for 30 days.

Old
11-28-2013, 10:48 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post

The Ciccarelli's aren't looking to sell, but as they previously stated, if they do get an offer, they would only look to sell if the team will remain in Sarnia. They just don't want to lose money on the arena anymore.

As for the crap in the store. Blame JB.

Old
11-28-2013, 12:25 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
The Ciccarelli's aren't looking to sell, but as they previously stated, if they do get an offer, they would only look to sell if the team will remain in Sarnia. They just don't want to lose money on the arena anymore. They run it as poorly as they run their team, no wonder they are losing money. A few playoff games might help the bottom line.
As for blaming JB about the stuff in the store? No, blame the owners.... that would have their coach and general manager working on that instead of being able to devote his entire time to hockey. If you disagree with that, remind me who hired JB?

Old
11-28-2013, 12:36 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
As for blaming JB about the stuff in the store? No, blame the owners.... that would have their coach and general manager working on that instead of being able to devote his entire time to hockey. If you disagree with that, remind me who hired JB?
Yes, you are correct about who hired JB. But all the stuff in the store was purchased by JB because of a "deal" he could get with a supplier.

Old
11-28-2013, 01:02 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Yes, you are correct about who hired JB. But all the stuff in the store was purchased by JB because of a "deal" he could get with a supplier.
Maybe so, not relevant though. Someone above had to agree to it and that is where the ultimate responsibility lies. Furthermore, if a mistake was made, get rid of the merchandise the best way possible - happens all the time. Things sometimes don't sell. Sell it at cost and bring in something fans will buy and wear.

Old
11-28-2013, 01:14 PM
dansk55

Quote:
The Ciccarelli's aren't looking to sell, but as they previously stated, if they do get an offer, they would only look to sell if the team will remain in Sarnia. They just don't want to lose money on the arena anymore.

Hmmm...i wouldn't be so sure. They (Larry, Burr and Abercrombie) hinted at it in 2012 in a summer story...when they voiced displeasure about attendance.

Old
11-28-2013, 08:22 PM
StungbySting

Simple answer to the attendance problem is put a winner on the ice. This City has supported a losing franchise for how many years? You think other Cities would support a losing franchise this long? I give credit to the Sting fans who have stuck through it all and I know there are a lot of us. Imagine they could ice a competitive squad for 3-4 years in a row? I bet the seats fill back up real fast. It's going to take one playoff season to get the fans back. It's going to take 3-4 years at least.

Old
11-29-2013, 10:21 PM
massey

What a win over Saginaw. We have a jinx on them this year.Terrible first 2 periods.Stood around,soft passes,no one picking up a man or skating,Yikes.Woke up in the 3rd.After Dupuis soft goal in the first 30sec of the game, That was one of the best 19 min and 30 sec goaltending performances I have witnessed in a while.

1st star Dupuis
2nd star Dupuis
3rd star Dupuis

Hardest working player Dupuis
Honourable mentions,Chapman and Renaud.Plus Saginaw goalie played well also. Sting have got to shoot the puck.Koodola 4 chances but passed it off GRRR.plus others.Carnavele should be a healthy scratch in Windsor.Oh well bring on Windsor.Go Sting

Old
11-30-2013, 08:06 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
What a win over Saginaw. We have a jinx on them this year.Terrible first 2 periods.Stood around,soft passes,no one picking up a man or skating,Yikes.Woke up in the 3rd.After Dupuis soft goal in the first 30sec of the game, That was one of the best 19 min and 30 sec goaltending performances I have witnessed in a while.

1st star Dupuis
2nd star Dupuis
3rd star Dupuis

Hardest working player Dupuis
Honourable mentions,Chapman and Renaud.Plus Saginaw goalie played well also. Sting have got to shoot the puck.Koodola 4 chances but passed it off GRRR.plus others.Carnavele should be a healthy scratch in Windsor.Oh well bring on Windsor.Go Sting
Wish i had arrived for the third period. The first 40 were boring.
100 per cent on the dupuis… he was hung out to dry more than once… lost track actually how many times He is our Number 1. Not sure who i would have picked for HMs…and but not those two…Honestly, not sure why carnvalee is playing 5th line… he is heads above your HM forward mention in skill, skating and grit. Perhaps I am not seeing something. By keeping Saginaw at bay, we were just one shot away from tying and winning. Dupuis did that… and a goalpost. Not sure what is going on with Bushnell…a few weeks back he was progressing. Now he is regressing. I would have put on a third line at one time… for his grit but he is where he belongs…sporadic ice.

Last edited by dansk55: 11-30-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old
11-30-2013, 09:50 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Wish i had arrived for the third period. The first 40 were boring.
100 per cent on the dupuis… he was hung out to dry more than once… lost track actually how many times He is our Number 1. Not sure who i would have picked for HMs…and but not those two…Honestly, not sure why carnvalee is playing 5th line… he is heads above your HM forward mention in skill, skating and grit. Perhaps I am not seeing something. By keeping Saginaw at bay, we were just one shot away from tying and winning. Dupuis did that… and a goalpost. Not sure what is going on with Bushnell…a few weeks back he was progressing. Now he is regressing. I would have put on a third line at one time… for his grit but he is where he belongs…sporadic ice.
Carnavale is playing 5th line lately because thats how he has been playing lately.Healthy scratch a week or so ago also.Yes he has skill grit and skating but must apply it.He waited for the puck instead of skating and numerous times never picked up a man coming back.PK was alright.Agree,dont know what is going on with him.Renaud played 100% to his abilities last nite.No he doesnt have the higher skill levels but good hitting and in Saginaw's face last nite.Agree on Bushnell,not sure whats going on after his suspension.Dont know how anybody cant pick Chapman as a HM.110% of what he has last nite.

What was ironic for me was the ref's missed who scored the winning goal also.They couldn't even see that along with a dozen or so other penalties within 10 ft of them.High sticks galour.

Good luck in Windsor tonite

Old
11-30-2013, 09:57 AM
CameronNeely08
Seabass

I was worried after the softie to start, but Dupuis locked it down afterwards and made a brilliant flurry of stops in OT just before we were able to nail it down. He didn't look pretty doing it, but it got the job done. The team, however, was pretty bad until the third. Actually, that's an overstatement. But Dupuis kept them in, Latta found the back of the net and then we were able to find the winner in OT.

I'm not sure what to think about the arena deal. I hope it doesn't mean a move, and it certainly doesn't indicate alone that they'd be looking to sell, but everything seems to add up that way. I hope they can ride it out for a few years. I think the team is in a good position to compete for real in two years time.

Old
11-30-2013, 12:04 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronNeely08 View Post
I was worried after the softie to start, but Dupuis locked it down afterwards and made a brilliant flurry of stops in OT just before we were able to nail it down. He didn't look pretty doing it, but it got the job done. The team, however, was pretty bad until the third. Actually, that's an overstatement. But Dupuis kept them in, Latta found the back of the net and then we were able to find the winner in OT.

I'm not sure what to think about the arena deal. I hope it doesn't mean a move, and it certainly doesn't indicate alone that they'd be looking to sell, but everything seems to add up that way. I hope they can ride it out for a few years. I think the team is in a good position to compete for real in two years time.
Not much here to think about.RBC loosing money.Ownership is not going to accept losses any longer.Arena deal is different than sting team.Arena loosing money for a number of reasons.Wont get into that.Ownership gets rid of arena and does open up some possible sales for the team for sure.BUT maybethey will decide to keep.Stay tuned.I also hope they can ride it out for a few years

Closed Thread