HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2013, 10:05 AM
  #726
StungbySting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Some of our best players were picked in the late rounds… Letowski 8th and Murph 15th… and those are just two off the top the head…so don't discount a 10th rounder yet. But my point is, we tend to burn in trades and overpay…
Some of the teams best players were selected in the first round too...Stamkos, Galchenyuk and Yaki (Euro draft)...the draft after the first couple rounds is a crap shoot because they are drafting kids. So much can happen that scouts can't control such as growth spurts and injuries. Murphy was projected to be a first round pick, but said he was playing US college hockey. For every Murphy that eventually reports to the OHL there are a bunch that don't. The Sting have at least 2 right now.

StungbySting is online now  
Old
12-17-2013, 10:15 AM
  #727
StungbySting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
when i mentioned 2 picks i wasn't expecting "hopefully" a change of scenery or some upside and could be and relatively good…maybe a bit much on the superlatives but he was a fifth… and we gave up two for a guy who has nothing to show this year in limited time… he had 16 points first year…. so you think he would be progressing, not regressing. just sayin'
Recently traded Ryan Verbeek had 7 points in 15 games with Plymouth before being moved to Kingston where he has 7 points in 5 games. Looks like the "change of scenery" helped him show off his "potential". He was a player I wish the Sting would have went after. Great two way game and has an offensive upside.

StungbySting is online now  
Old
12-17-2013, 12:03 PM
  #728
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post
Some of the teams best players were selected in the first round too...Stamkos, Galchenyuk and Yaki (Euro draft)...the draft after the first couple rounds is a crap shoot because they are drafting kids. So much can happen that scouts can't control such as growth spurts and injuries. Murphy was projected to be a first round pick, but said he was playing US college hockey. For every Murphy that eventually reports to the OHL there are a bunch that don't. The Sting have at least 2 right now.
you are right, the first overall pick is a no brainer…but why do you get a first overall… cuz we stink and the first overall only stays 2 years.
What about our other first and second rounders… Brown, Hooey, Musselman, Sutch, Hargrave, Renaud and the Ciccarelli dman friend from Camlachie …who had a tough time in Jr. B.
did any of them crack… Have any produced more than 10 goals in a season?
Terry Doran was a master of trades… terrible at drafting out of midget, but I think he did a good job at finding players who did not fit elsewhere…he found kids who wanted to play. And this is not an endorsement of his abilities or to rehire him in that role…

dansk55 is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 12:04 PM
  #729
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
I also recall quite a few games last year where JP would let in a goal in the first minute of the game. And this was an "elite" goalie. Used to frustrate me to no end how many times that happened. And he was played pretty much every single game as well.
Barrick stopped 42 shots. For the first game back in for awhile. If the team doesn't trust their goalie, as you say, then they need to step up and play harder. Teams play different in front of different goalies. In the NHL and in the OHL.
I wouldn't say the first goal deflated the team. The team was outplayed from start to finish.
If you want your goalie to get better, he has to be played more often. There will always be one that does better than the other but even the "better" goalie will have bad games and make mistakes too. It happens.
I'm saying the game cannot be blamed on the goalie. It was a team loss. I'm also saying that when you have two goalies, develop both. If you want to play one more than the other, fine, but don't forget there is another goalie that also needs net time.
This has happened each year. The starter is consistently played while the backup sits on the bench. There should be a 60/40 split so they both develop and so you can rely on both especially if, heaven forbid, one gets injured.
It would be nice if all players and tendies were as perfect as everything thinks they should be. But then it would be a really boring game to watch and nobody would ever have anything negative to say. Then what would people do!!

stingfan333 is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 12:18 PM
  #730
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
you are right, the first overall pick is a no brainer…but why do you get a first overall… cuz we stink and the first overall only stays 2 years.
What about our other first and second rounders… Brown, Hooey, Musselman, Sutch, Hargrave, Renaud and the Ciccarelli dman friend from Camlachie …who had a tough time in Jr. B.
did any of them crack… Have any produced more than 10 goals in a season?
Terry Doran was a master of trades… terrible at drafting out of midget, but I think he did a good job at finding players who did not fit elsewhere…he found kids who wanted to play. And this is not an endorsement of his abilities or to rehire him in that role…
Just curious - who is the dman from Camlachie? The other names I recognize but not sure who you're talking about with this one?

stingfan333 is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 12:52 PM
  #731
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StungbySting View Post
Recently traded Ryan Verbeek had 7 points in 15 games with Plymouth before being moved to Kingston where he has 7 points in 5 games. Looks like the "change of scenery" helped him show off his "potential". He was a player I wish the Sting would have went after. Great two way game and has an offensive upside.
Verbeek was picked up from Windsor not Plymouth.He had a issue with being too aggressive last year with Windsor but tamed that down this year with Windsor but got lost in the too many top player thing in Windsor and wanted out.I would doubt that the Sting had a chance due to some antaginism between Verbeek's and the owners.His mom I believe lives in Kingston and that was I am sure his reason to go there.Looked good sat nite against us

massey is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 12:54 PM
  #732
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Terry Doran was a master of trades… terrible at drafting out of midget, but I think he did a good job at finding players who did not fit elsewhere…he found kids who wanted to play. And this is not an endorsement of his abilities or to rehire him in that role…
I don't agree Doran was a good GM.

Eric Himilfarb for Joey Tenute, Tyler Hanchuck and Aaron Power was a very good trade, but Himilfarb was also an excellent player. What other trades would you have considered very good?

fanofdo is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 12:56 PM
  #733
fanofdo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfan333 View Post
Just curious - who is the dman from Camlachie? The other names I recognize but not sure who you're talking about with this one?
Pollecelli - they drafted him too high, (2nd round I think.) I think they did this because they let his brother get away from them in the 8th round (I think) by Belleville. He ended up being Belleville's captain and Kitchener's in his OA year, brought there in Pete DeBoer's first year to provide leadership.

fanofdo is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 01:09 PM
  #734
Herman the German
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Latta will be moved to a contender at trade deadline.Makes sense why we need some more bodies.Not sure why will give up 2 draft picks

Massey, how are you sure of this and what team will he be traded to? I would like to follow this process. Danke.


Last edited by Herman the German: 12-17-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Herman the German is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 01:30 PM
  #735
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman the German View Post
Massey, how are you sure of this and what team will he be traded to? I would like to follow this process. Danke.
Very reliable source.No doubt things could change.Some teams don't wont to show their cards till trade deadline.Trying to be up on your competition until last minute.Deals can be made subject to trade deadline dates.Some of our recent trades does kind of reaffirm some of the trade rumors.

massey is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 01:52 PM
  #736
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Pollecelli - they drafted him too high, (2nd round I think.) I think they did this because they let his brother get away from them in the 8th round (I think) by Belleville. He ended up being Belleville's captain and Kitchener's in his OA year, brought there in Pete DeBoer's first year to provide leadership.

Oh ok - thank you!

stingfan333 is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  #737
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
I don't agree Doran was a good GM.

Eric Himilfarb for Joey Tenute, Tyler Hanchuck and Aaron Power was a very good trade, but Himilfarb was also an excellent player. What other trades would you have considered very good?
Not sure I said he was a good gm... said he good trades. Himilfarb wanted out...and if i remember, had some issues...Where is he now? Tenute was a fan favorite...
And thanks on the Pollecelli ... the name escaped me.

We've had some stinker drafts over the years...and that has hurt us more than anything when it came to depth. A couple of others who came to mind... colt Kennedy...Jeff Whitfield and Trevor Solomon, ryan Hare and Jason Penner.
Another late round goodie was Marco Cabrerra.
We did have some good goalie drafts...years ago..like ryan Munce, and Desroches tho...we'll have to wait on the Fazio one.


Last edited by dansk55: 12-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.
dansk55 is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 02:52 PM
  #738
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Sting release overage forward Erik Robichaud,he had 1 goal and 1 asssit in 15 games played

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
12-17-2013, 03:00 PM
  #739
StungbySting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
There has to be a better OA out there...maybe someone buried in the AHL or ECHL or are they going to take back an OA in a trade?


Last edited by StungbySting: 12-17-2013 at 03:13 PM.
StungbySting is online now  
Old
12-17-2013, 08:45 PM
  #740
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Watching Gali for Montreal playing tonight against Murphy with Phx. Murphy looks real solid on D.Such a shame he had that injury ending his playing with the Sting.Gali looks great as usual.

massey is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 09:42 PM
  #741
EasternOntario Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Sting release overage forward Erik Robichaud,he had 1 goal and 1 asssit in 15 games played
I heard someone else was also released----but it comes second hand so I don't want to put a name yet.

EasternOntario Fan is offline  
Old
12-17-2013, 09:51 PM
  #742
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
I heard someone else was also released----but it comes second hand so I don't want to put a name yet.
Carnevale is the name rumoured.

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
12-18-2013, 07:08 AM
  #743
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
I heard someone else was also released----but it comes second hand so I don't want to put a name yet.
Going to assume it was Carnevale. He was saying goodbyes to teammates on Twitter last night.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
12-18-2013, 07:34 AM
  #744
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Going to assume it was Carnevale. He was saying goodbyes to teammates on Twitter last night.
Not a surprise here. Carnevale has struggled all year.Coaching claims they want to give the younger kids more playing time.OR who knows,maybe a block buster trade in the works.

massey is offline  
Old
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
  #745
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Not a surprise here. Carnevale has struggled all year.Coaching claims they want to give the younger kids more playing time.OR who knows,maybe a block buster trade in the works.
Heard Matteo is back so Carvevale is odd man out.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
12-18-2013, 09:39 AM
  #746
StungbySting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Ex-Sting Jack Nevins almost a PPG player in the Q and second on his team in scoring

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...73&encode=TRUE

StungbySting is online now  
Old
12-18-2013, 10:31 AM
  #747
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Heard Matteo is back so Carvevale is odd man out.
Matteo is not back playing with the team yet so feel free to find someone else to blame. Funny how Matt gets blamed for so much that happens with the team. Time to give it a rest and find another 17 year old to pick on.

stingfan333 is offline  
Old
12-18-2013, 10:42 AM
  #748
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfan333 View Post
Matteo is not back playing with the team yet so feel free to find someone else to blame. Funny how Matt gets blamed for so much that happens with the team. Time to give it a rest and find another 17 year old to pick on.
he will be after the break... guess that struck a raw nerve...
Frankly I thought Carnvevale was a good skater and worked hard when he had the chance. But i guess not everyone gets a fair shake in life..
I don't see a huge trade happening... maybe chapman, latta and moore if we can find a willing host

dansk55 is offline  
Old
12-18-2013, 11:22 AM
  #749
stingfan333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
There are always reasons for things happening. But unless you hear the reason directly from the source, speculation just fuels rumours. And rumours never do anything but hurt the person involved.

stingfan333 is offline  
Old
12-18-2013, 11:37 AM
  #750
Sting Fire
Registered User
 
Sting Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hockeyland
Country: Canada
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...lo-and-compher

Anthony cut from the USA TEAM

Sting Fire is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.