*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2014, 01:46 PM
bobbygore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
This brings up a pretty significant point especially considering Sarnia is likely to own a top 5 selection in a draft class that holds some significant talent in the top 5. The Sting have benefited from having Larionov work with them to keep his clients close to him in Detroit. Sarnia's proximity to Larionov has been a bonus recently.

With the potential to land a Jakob Chychrun, Adam Mascherin, Mikey McLeod, Max Jones or some other top end US talent at this year's draft, there has to be some concern with the franchise's instability as it stands right now. Sarnia might not have a deadline to get things ironed out but from a recruiting standpoint, the sooner things get stabilized...the better.

I have heard that there's already one highly ranked player that refuses to go to Sarnia and we wouldn't want that to become a trend. Belleville is in a similar situation.

I want nothing but the best for the Sting, their fans and the loyal supporters. Hope the process is expediated as fast as possible.
Classic example of a top prospect who refused to come was Daniel Altshuller the goalie for the Generals. Back in 2010 he told the organization not to draft him and the Sting drafted Brandon Hope instead as he was the next guy on the goalie list at the time but not in Altshuller's league. Hope has turned out to be a serviceable OHL goalie, but Altshuller turned out to be a high round NHL pick. This kind of thing has really hampered being able to compete , especially in a Conference with teams like London, Plymouth, and Windsor.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
Classic example of a top prospect who refused to come was Daniel Altshuller the goalie for the Generals. Back in 2010 he told the organization not to draft him and the Sting drafted Brandon Hope instead as he was the next guy on the goalie list at the time but not in Altshuller's league. Hope has turned out to be a serviceable OHL goalie, but Altshuller turned out to be a high round NHL pick. This kind of thing has really hampered being able to compete , especially in a Conference with teams like London, Plymouth, and Windsor.
Good post - if people really knew the number of very good prospects that have said they were not going to report they might have a different opinion.

Old
02-06-2014, 01:58 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Do you think Sarnia would have taken him with the 23rd pick if he would have reported?

Old
02-06-2014, 02:14 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Do you think Sarnia would have taken him with the 23rd pick if he would have reported?
Absolutely. They would've taken him at 22 instead of Hooey. At the time he was the most highly rated goalie in the draft with most projecting him to be the first goalie picked.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

I think the 2011-2012 season really hurt things for the Sting. They could have been real good, lots of talent but they lost Galchenyuk for the year(came back but wasn't really ready). I am not sure if they would have gone in the Spooner direction if Galchenyuk was healthy maybe it would have been Watson instead. A healthy Sting team could have made a run that year, could have possibly grabbed that 3 seed and faced a vulnerable Plymouth team. Sarnia would have matched up very well with Plymouth that year lots of goal scoring power, Plymouth had Mahalak in net. After 12-13 they went in a new direction.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:33 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Absolutely. They would've taken him at 22 instead of Hooey. At the time he was the most highly rated goalie in the draft with most projecting him to be the first goalie picked.
Good thing he didn't want to report then or we wouldn't have had the top 4 goalies from that draft, drafted in order.

On a serious note, it does suck when top talent doesn't want to report to a team.
And really you only have 2 options, pick the kid anyways, or pick someone who wants to report. But we have been able to get some top talent to report in the last few years. (Murphy, Boucher, Moore, DeAngelo)

Old
02-06-2014, 02:35 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Have I said you criticize players? No, I don't think so. I could be wrong though. I have been once before.

Let me re write my previous post.

@fanofdo - read your past posts, WOW, you do not like most of the decisions the owner's have made. Wonder if it is a personal thing or not.

Better???
Wrong again - nothing personal, again no facts in your post. It is obvious you aren't capable. Once you get done the you hate the owners, you're negative, etc, and you run out of material, try the "whatever" bit. My nephew used to do that, but he's 8 now.

For the record, I don't like the quality of the product that the owner has put on and off the ice.

WOW - hopefully you get it this time - but your record isn't very good either.

Old
02-06-2014, 02:42 PM
BoxerMax

Well now this is interesting.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2014/02/06...linary-reasons

Old
02-06-2014, 02:56 PM
bobbygore

Quote:
Good thing he didn't want to report then or we wouldn't have had the top 4 goalies from that draft, drafted in order.

On a serious note, it does suck when top talent doesn't want to report to a team.
And really you only have 2 options, pick the kid anyways, or pick someone who wants to report. But we have been able to get some top talent to report in the last few years. (Murphy, Boucher, Moore, DeAngelo)
Ironically, when Jocko first showed up he had absolutely no trouble recruiting real high end talent most likely because of his association with London and the fact that both Yakupov and Galchenyuk were on the team. The recruits figured they'd get a ton of exposure playing on the same team as the top projected guys in the draft. Late round picks like Murphy and Boucher actually reported which was nothing short of amazing.

It was if the Sting's bad reputation from the past got totally wiped clean for that one year. THat sure didn't last long as the whole thing disintegrated into a bit ship show once the players realized there was nowhere near enough icetime to go around as was originally promised. (BTW - that 2011 Sting team was arguably one of the most talent laden teams in the league in the last 10 years. There's at least 5 guys from that team that are already in the NHL with more to come - maybe the most disappointing team in Sting history going down in 6 games to Saginaw in the first round).

Old
02-06-2014, 03:34 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Wrong again - nothing personal, again no facts in your post. It is obvious you aren't capable. Once you get done the you hate the owners, you're negative, etc, and you run out of material, try the "whatever" bit. My nephew used to do that, but he's 8 now.

For the record, I don't like the quality of the product that the owner has put on and off the ice.

WOW - hopefully you get it this time - but your record isn't very good either.
I hope this is a little better for you.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post73345097

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post74313733

The above post was very good by the way.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post74385215

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post75171511

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post76320349

Only went through your posts on this thread, but I do think my comment "read your past posts, WOW, you do not like most of the decisions the owner's have made. Wonder if it is a personal thing or not." is a very valid comment.

I also noticed when going through your posts that you have criticized one player quite a bit. Oh wait, you weren't criticizing him, you were just stating that he is no where near good enough to play in the OHL. (which I strongly disagree with you about.) Another bad decision by the owners I assume.

Old
02-06-2014, 03:48 PM
aresknights

I remember a post from fanofdo a last year or year before which outlined a decade worth of wins, PO games, PO series wins ect....
The record was terrible. London had more series wins than the Sting had PO single game wins ( or it was at least close) And the Sting were definitely at the bottom of the league.
Yes they had high hopes for one year but at the end of the day there has been very little success.
From an outsiders POV his arguements are well laid out and also come from a fan that wants more from the owners. Totally understandable.
Hopefully something changes for the fans - new ownership or the current regime figures out how to play the game ( doubtful with their record over a huge sample size - but a possibility)
Everyone's heard rumors in the past but the ones I've heard this year ( and the articles I've seen posted here and elsewhere ) lead me to believe its more a possibility now.

Old
02-06-2014, 03:54 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I remember a post from fanofdo a last year or year before which outlined a decade worth of wins, PO games, PO series wins ect....
The record was terrible. London had more series wins than the Sting had PO single game wins ( or it was at least close) And the Sting were definitely at the bottom of the league.
Yes they had high hopes for one year but at the end of the day there has been very little success.
From an outsiders POV his arguements are well laid out and also come from a fan that wants more from the owners. Totally understandable.
Hopefully something changes for the fans - new ownership or the current regime figures out how to play the game ( doubtful with their record over a huge sample size - but a possibility)
Everyone's heard rumors in the past but the ones I've heard this year ( and the articles I've seen posted here and elsewhere ) lead me to believe its more a possibility now.
This.

Old
02-06-2014, 04:05 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Completely agree. I do think Fanofdo has some excellent posts that are well laid out. I just asked him/her if it was a personal thing or not. He/she took some offense to that.

Old
02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Completely agree. I do think Fanofdo has some excellent posts that are well laid out. I just asked him/her if it was a personal thing or not. He/she took some offense to that.
He clearly stated more than once that his posts were not personal-hes only stating facts and his opinion on the lack of success of the team . I think a lot of us can identify with that. It's not real hard to understand.

Old
02-06-2014, 07:29 PM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
He clearly stated more than once that his posts were not personal-hes only stating facts and his opinion on the lack of success of the team . I think a lot of us can identify with that. It's not real hard to understand.
Thanks...for most, but not all....At least not the first several times.

Old
02-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Over the 1,000 post limit, so please continue in Part 2...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1600151

Closed Thread