Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2013, 11:01 AM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Was just wondering what some stings fans opinions are on trading DeAngelo. I heard he wanted out last season but now that isn't true. Do you guys think there is any possibility he gets moved?

Old
08-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Was just wondering what some stings fans opinions are on trading DeAngelo. I heard he wanted out last season but now that isn't true. Do you guys think there is any possibility he gets moved?
Too early to say right now, but in speaking with him yesterday he seemed really excited about the year. Having a guy like Andy Delmore on the back end is going to really help him. The quote that really stood out to me from DeAngelo was that this year he wanted to work not only on being a better player, but a better teammate. The team could really benefit from that, because of how skilled he is.

Old
08-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
From the look of things yesterday the 96s and 97s scored at will on our two supposed back-up goalies. May have to use Dawe as an OA ? I'm hoping he or Barrick look better than the 13 goal onslaught yesterday from the young boys.
A couple of the players said yesterday they were exhausted from the practices and off-ice training during the day. No excuses and Trevor made it very clear to the players how disappointed he was in the scrimmage. Things will really start to take shape during Monday evening's scrimmage and on Tuesday I think.

Old
08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
From the look of things yesterday the 96s and 97s scored at will on our two supposed back-up goalies. May have to use Dawe as an OA ? I'm hoping he or Barrick look better than the 13 goal onslaught yesterday from the young boys.
No chance Dawe is on the team this year. He is a below average goalie.

Old
08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Too early to say right now, but in speaking with him yesterday he seemed really excited about the year. Having a guy like Andy Delmore on the back end is going to really help him. The quote that really stood out to me from DeAngelo was that this year he wanted to work not only on being a better player, but a better teammate. The team could really benefit from that, because of how skilled he is.
That is a great quote from him.I hope he carries it through out the year.Both he and the team will benefit from that.

Old
08-26-2013, 04:55 PM
tylermade4

Does anyone have the Training Camp Roster?

Old
08-26-2013, 06:59 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
If Dawe's not good enough and the backups are suspect, I hope Barrick's broken ankle is healed. How's he doing?

Old
08-27-2013, 07:00 AM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
That is a great quote from him.I hope he carries it through out the year.Both he and the team will benefit from that.
tony dee went to re-education school during summer

is it me, or do the Sting lack any new special players? Frankly i did not see anything out of the ordinary... and the fight... hate to see them tangle with an opponent..

Old
08-27-2013, 01:43 PM
dirk

How has Patrick White looked so far?

Old
08-27-2013, 03:52 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
He's listed on the website on the 2013-14 roster (which wasn't posted a few days ago). I think he played fine as a backup.

FWIW, Barrick and Dawe are the only two Gs listed.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:55 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
tony dee went to re-education school during summer

is it me, or do the Sting lack any new special players? Frankly i did not see anything out of the ordinary... and the fight... hate to see them tangle with an opponent..
Korostelev was awesome Monday morning especially for a rookie. Kodola had some nice flashes. Hargrave has improved significantly and looks ready to be a big OHL player (Renaud to a lesser extent). Tyler Hore, while not "new" looks very good on defense.

Plenty of players showed well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk View Post
How has Patrick White looked so far?
Not as good as I wanted to see TBH. Felt he played too much of a perimeter game. The skill is evident but i would like to see him battle and fight for the puck more

Old
08-27-2013, 07:20 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Looks like he made it! Who let in the 21 goals in the 2 scrimmages today? This ain't exactly London we're playing. That ought to be a real interesting opening game.

Old
08-27-2013, 08:37 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
He's listed on the website on the 2013-14 roster (which wasn't posted a few days ago). I think he played fine as a backup.

FWIW, Barrick and Dawe are the only two Gs listed.
Also must be a misprint on the website roster.It shows Matteo Ciccarelli making the team.After watching 2 scrimmages and the black and white game,should be no chance based on skill or skating.

Old
08-27-2013, 09:47 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Also must be a misprint on the website roster.It shows Matteo Ciccarelli making the team.After watching 2 scrimmages and the black and white game,should be no chance based on skill or skating.
I'd tend to agree. Players like Sproviero had more impressive showings

Interested to see who ends up where. Bottom six has lots of possibilities

For those commenting on the goaltenders letting in so many goals, you have to realize that these goaltenders are put through some rigorous practices prior to the scrimmages. Can't blame them for being fatigued

In saying that, these goaltenders are young and relatively inexperienced so I think it's safe to say we'll see some bumps along the way. Hopefully they learn from them.

Old
08-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Shaun Bisson

Guys talking about final team, that posting on the site is incorrect. Final team hasn't been named yet. Still rolling with 10 d for now so they can go through stuff for exhibition games. They aren't even close to a final roster yet.

Old
08-27-2013, 09:54 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Guys talking about final team, that posting on the site is incorrect. Final team hasn't been named yet. Still rolling with 10 d for now so they can go through stuff for exhibition games. They aren't even close to a final roster yet.
No one said it was final and clearly it's not since its half a roster. There was no players listed a few days ago for the 2013-14 Roster but now there's half a team (all of which have played for the Sting and 'should' make the team. No coincidence.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:07 PM
NewStingfan

I thought the young defence played very well. King, Core and Schlichting (sp) all played very well. I think the biggest question mark is in goal. I also thought Latta, Moore, Brown and Hargrave all looked good. I think your to hard on Ciccarelli. I thought he was fine. More concerned with some of the other veterans upfront like Addessi and Renaud.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
No one said it was final and clearly it's not since its half a roster. There was no players listed a few days ago for the 2013-14 Roster but now there's half a team (all of which have played for the Sting and 'should' make the team. No coincidence.
No, but I think it's not prudent to say "he's made it" just yet. It'll be interesting how things play out over the next few exhibition games.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Stingland

I liked Davis Brown's ripper to win the Black and White game for the White.Lets hope he can do a few more of those when it counts.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:57 AM
massey

What's the deal on Derek Elliot.For a free agent he looked good to me.Too bad we have too many small forwards as Nic Sproviero was fast but just lacking in size.Some of last year Sting forwards didnt impress me much in a few of the scrimmages and game last night.Nice to see Mater came out after having his issues with JB.Goaltending maybe a bit suspect but lets give them a chance.I see a future with Fazio with this team.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:05 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
What's the deal on Derek Elliot.For a free agent he looked good to me.Too bad we have too many small forwards as Nic Sproviero was fast but just lacking in size.Some of last year Sting forwards didnt impress me much in a few of the scrimmages and game last night.Nice to see Mater came out after having his issues with JB.Goaltending maybe a bit suspect but lets give them a chance.I see a future with Fazio with this team.

Agreed on all accounts.

I tweeted last night how impressed I was with Derek Elliott. I'm guessing there's no room on this years team but he certainly turned my head.

I too was glad to see Mater in camp and he definitely deserves a spot on this team in some capacity if that's what he wants.

I've been a big Fazio fan since watching him last season in Elgin-Middlesex and he's a kid who's willing to work hard too. Overall, Sarnia's G is inexperienced but they all seem like fighters. Plus, on a minor note...I was quite impressed with the puck handling ability of Dawe and Fazio.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:29 AM
NewStingfan

Couldn't agree more on Elliot. Thought he was very noticeable. I must say Patrick White is very skilled but is certainly a perimeter player. I was expecting a little more but he is young and hopefully will figure it out.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:56 AM
BoxerMax

Goaltending will be between Barrick, Hergott and Fazio. There is no need to have an OA goalie this year. They are rebuilding and to have Dawe on the team would just be stupid.

I can also see one or 2 of the veteran D-Men being traded as well. The way Core, King and Schlichting have played in camp, for their development, having consistent ice time will be better than being a healthy scratch.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Shaun Bisson

If I had to pick a team today based on what I liked in camp, it would be this. Any questions about reasoning, feel free to ask.

1st: Korostelev - Latta - Goldobin.
2nd: Moore - Nikandrov - Brown.
3rd: Addesi - Kodola - Hargrave.
4th: Carnevale - Vendramin - Bushnell
Extra: Renaud

1st: Duininck - DeAngelo.
2nd: Basso – Chapman.
3rd: Schlicting - Hore.
Extra: King

S: Barrick
BU: Fazio.

Also, not many people have been giving feedback for what they want to see in the weekly opinion column in the Observer's Saturday edition. Any issues in sports you guys want addressed?

Old
08-28-2013, 12:01 PM
massey

Quote:
If I had to pick a team today based on what I liked in camp, it would be this. Any questions about reasoning, feel free to ask.

1st: Korostelev - Latta - Goldobin.
2nd: Moore - Nikandrov - Brown.
3rd: Addesi - Kodola - Hargrave.
4th: Carnevale - Vendramin - Bushnell
Extra: Renaud

1st: Duininck - DeAngelo.
2nd: Basso Chapman.
3rd: Schlicting - Hore.
Extra: King

S: Barrick
BU: Fazio.

Also, not many people have been giving feedback for what they want to see in the weekly opinion column in the Observer's Saturday edition. Any issues in sports you guys want addressed?
I agree with most the picks.I think Elliot has to be a forward somewhere.At least put him in some exhibition games and let's see. Renaud has disappointed me.I also think we need some toughness with Dipaolo,also good utility man for Defence or 4th line forward.King's size will hurt him.Seemed timid last night to me.Maybe Dipaolo needs that spot.

Closed Thread