HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Would you be interested in Brian Burke?

View Poll Results: Would you like Burke as a GM in NY?
yes 27 52.94%
no 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2005, 01:10 PM
BLACKBURN

vCash: 500
Would you be interested in Brian Burke?

Would you be interested in having Brian Burke as a GM? Simple question, I personally would be but I would like to hear your opinions.

Old
05-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Levitate

Hrmf, I'm kind of undecided on this, leaning towards no however. I'm not sure it's the best time (the rangers just went through all this stuff to get players sather and his staff like to start building for the future...what if burke comes in and pulls a "they're not my guys so I'm going to trade them all off" thing?)

and what do you do...force him to take the staff that's already there (maloney, renney, etc) which could cause problems, or let him pick who he wants, which again could cause problems.

plus i'm not overly impressed with his trade record and his draft record, though you can't pin all of the draft record on him. I think he gets a lot of press cuz he whines a lot in the media and he managed the cannucks finances pretty well...making them a profitable franchise and a winning one (but with no goalie )

He probably wouldn't be horrible but i'm not too enamored to him...

Old
05-03-2005, 01:37 PM
NYRangers

No, were headed in the right direction.

Old
05-03-2005, 02:03 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

After rebuilding the development and scouting staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Would you be interested in having Brian Burke as a GM? Simple question, I personally would be but I would like to hear your opinions.
what would the point the be? Maloney I think has learned an awful lot from when he was the Isles GM. Renney i think has shown a nose for finding talent and putting into place programs for the development of that talent once it has been acquired. Either one of those 2 would be fine for me. We do not need Burke. What has he done that impresses you? Draft the Sedlin twins? I'll swap you a brendl and a lundmark and you tell me the difference.

Old
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
What has he done that impresses you? Draft the Sedlin twins? I'll swap you a brendl and a lundmark and you tell me the difference.

Burke is the type of GM that will exceed in the post-lockout NHL. He gets the most out of his money and builds a competitive team.

I'm not sure that right now a change at GM is necessary but I think Sather is on borrowed time. If Maloney has another good draft I wouldn't mind seeing him be the successor.

Old
05-03-2005, 03:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
No, were headed in the right direction.
I'm sorry, but based on what are we headed in the right direction?

Old
05-03-2005, 03:14 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Really. I would hardly call having a fire sale as evidence that we are headed in the right direction. If the choice is a dead man or Sather, the dead man wins out.

Old
05-03-2005, 03:28 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Based on the trades Sather made (see below) during the deadline. Some of those were damn impressive.

Based on our draft. I think its going to be a great one down the road.

I've never hated Sather though, so I may be baised. I would have made the trades he made even in retrospect. I just think we didn't have the right system and coaches, but I do blame him for that.

However (not sure which side to the debate this helps) it seemed like Maloney pulled the trigger on all of those trades. Sather kind of kept hidden ever since last March.

Plus, you DONT think were headed in the right direction?

Last edited by NYRangers: 05-03-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old
05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

I guess, why not .

Old
05-03-2005, 03:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Based on the trades Sather made (see below) during the deadline. Some of those were damn impressive.

Based on our draft. I think its going to be a great one down the road.

I've never hated Sather though, so I may be baised. I would have made the trades he made even in retrospect. I just think we didn't have the right system and coaches, but I do blame him for that.

However (not sure which side to the debate this helps) it seemed like Maloney pulled the trigger on all of those trades. Sather kind of kept hidden ever since last March.

Plus, you DONT think were headed in the right direction?
The general consensus was Sather did not get one teams top prospect for Leetch or Kovalev. The draft picks are nice but hardly locks to play at the next level. I don't trust Sather to judge talent and I don't trust him with a rebuilding effort. Sure the trades were made but what choice did he really have?

To say that Sather has the franchise in the right direction because he purged the team at the deadline is like saying a fat kid will soon be thin just because he skipped lunch today. I need to see a lot more before I relent and say that Sather has the team headed in the right direction

Old
05-03-2005, 04:27 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
To say that Sather has the franchise in the right direction because he purged the team at the deadline is like saying a fat kid will soon be thin just because he skipped lunch today. I need to see a lot more before I relent and say that Sather has the team headed in the right direction
Michael Nylander at three years with an option for a fourth is no salad.

Old
05-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
To say that Sather has the franchise in the right direction because he purged the team at the deadline is like saying a fat kid will soon be thin just because he skipped lunch today.

Nice.

Old
05-03-2005, 05:04 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I'll take either of the Sedins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
what would the point the be? Maloney I think has learned an awful lot from when he was the Isles GM. Renney i think has shown a nose for finding talent and putting into place programs for the development of that talent once it has been acquired. Either one of those 2 would be fine for me. We do not need Burke. What has he done that impresses you? Draft the Sedlin twins? I'll swap you a brendl and a lundmark and you tell me the difference.
over both Brendl and Lundmark.

In fact I don't think you could get any GM in the league to trade Henrik (the suckier of the two) for Jamie and Pavel.

Additionally Brian Burke pretty much made the Canucks into the team you see today, a team that is always in the thick of the hunt.

The only move i think he regrets is signing Mess to that whopper of a contract, but without that Naslund is not the players he is today.

While I also wouldn't want the blow-hard as GM of the Rangers, his recent track record is much better than Sather's.

Maloney was the wrong man for the Islanders job as much as Trottier was the wrong man for the Rangers coaching job.

Old
05-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
If the choice is a dead man or Sather, the dead man wins out.
"Blueshirts Poised to Hire Dead Man for GM Post!"

Can see the headline now in L. Brook's next column.

Here's one unattached fan's opinion of your franchise at the moment.

Sather has clearly changed the direction in which the team is headed. That is progress, in itself.

Whether the new direction is the "right one" will only be determined over time. And, not in a New York minute either, pun intended.

There is an insufferable disease that afflicts many on HF, whereby youth is automatically equated with success. Very faulty logic. Likewise, however, NYR of the last several years has proven that winning is not as simple as collecting veteran players who have experienced some degree of success elsewhere.

The key to success typically is finding a happy medium.

Old
05-03-2005, 05:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
"Blueshirts Poised to Hire Dead Man for GM Post!"

Can see the headline now in L. Brook's next column.

Here's one unattached fan's opinion of your franchise at the moment.

Sather has clearly changed the direction in which the team is headed. That is progress, in itself.

Whether the new direction is the "right one" will only be determined over time. And, not in a New York minute either, pun intended.

There is an insufferable disease that afflicts many on HF, whereby youth is automatically equated with success. Very faulty logic. Likewise, however, NYR of the last several years has proven that winning is not as simple as collecting veteran players who have experienced some degree of success elsewhere.

The key to success typically is finding a happy medium.
Troll.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 05-03-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old
05-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

NO. It would be nice, for once, to hire someone because they will do everything in their power to build a hockey team in New York. One that reflects positively on the tradition and gives back to the fans as much as they have put into it over the years. Hiring another huge ego--someone who thinks that he has all the answers (and of course thinks that everyone else is wrong) will not do that. Let's find someone without the baggage of a Hockey God to run the franchise next.

Old
05-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
If the choice is a dead man or Sather, the dead man wins out.
Sorry TB, John Muckler's already got a job.

I haven't seen much to indicate that Burke is capable of building a Cup winning franchise. Vancouver's annual run for the President's Trophy doesn't make the same impression on me as consistent playoff failures do. I'm not close enough to the Canuck's situation to pinpoint the cause, but Burke apparently isn't able to pinpoint it either. Pass an another "greater than thou" manager without the pedigree of success to justify it.

Old
05-03-2005, 06:57 PM
NYR469

burke wouldn't be my first choice but i'd take him over sather...

the guy i want and the guy i've wanted since neil smith got canned is david conte from nj

Old
05-03-2005, 07:09 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
the guy i want and the guy i've wanted since neil smith got canned is david conte from nj
For a second I thought you said, "the guy i want and the guy i've wanted since neil smith got canned is david cone from ny"

Old
05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Mike18

Quote:
The general consensus was Sather did not get one teams top prospect for Leetch or Kovalev. The draft picks are nice but hardly locks to play at the next level. I don't trust Sather to judge talent and I don't trust him with a rebuilding effort. Sure the trades were made but what choice did he really have?
Obviously the Rangers didn't get top quality for the players they traded away at the deadline last year, but I think Sather did a solid job in a very tough position. He had guys like Nedved, Kovalev, and DeVries who were playing poorly. Others like Barnaby and Simon who, while they were playing well, are very limited in talent. Then there's Leetch, who brought back 4 prospects/picks. I'm not sure you could have asked for much more, especially considering that they were all just playoff rentals who, given the state of the CBA, would not be signed after the season they were traded. All those prospects/picks for one month's worth of players who weren't cutting it here is as good as you could expect.

Old
05-03-2005, 08:35 PM
NYR469

considering the garbage that was traded away and the fact that they were all basically rentals, i'm VERY happy with the return...we didn't get franchise players but getting korpikoski, immonen, kondratiev, balej, graham, rachunek, giroux, liffiton, dubinsky, bahensky, ryan, betts, greg moore, helminen, byers and kozak for 10 games worth of ufa rentals for a bunch of guys (even leetch was only a 10 game rental)...that is pretty good.

our future franchise player won't come from that group, but a big part of the future could come from that group and it add a depth we haven't had in a long long time (if ever) that puts us in a position to make deals if needed to get the right guys to fill holes.

so imo sather/renney/maloney (i think it was more renney and maloney but that might be my bias) deserve huge credit for their actions at the deadline under the circumstances. however contray to the saying 'better late then never', 1 good week doesn't outdo 4 years of stupidity. these moves should have been made 2-3 years ago

Old
05-03-2005, 08:40 PM
BigE

Quote:

Excellent points by you!

I'm sure that everyone agrees that last year's sale was a starting point. In that sense I suppose one could say we're heading down the right path. I'm still not fully convinced that we're in a position to boast about anything. I'm not even sure, as you alluded to, that we're in the position that we should be in (i.e., we could/should have gotten more for guys like Leetch, Kovalev, de Vries, etc.).

Again, nice post.

Old
05-03-2005, 08:49 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Excellent points by you!

I'm sure that everyone agrees that last year's sale was a starting point. In that sense I suppose one could say we're heading down the right path. I'm still not fully convinced that we're in a position to boast about anything. I'm not even sure, as you alluded to, that we're in the position that we should be in (i.e., we could/should have gotten more for guys like Leetch, Kovalev, de Vries, etc.).

Again, nice post.
Oh please. Who would have given us more than Immonen, Kondratiev, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick to take him from us for 12 games?

Immonen, Kondratiev, Korpikoski, and a 2nd round pick.

Show me a team who would give us a 'top tier' prospect or simply more than that for Leetch. Please.

Old
05-03-2005, 09:11 PM
BwayBshirt

or for de vries. and even though bobby clarke "claimed" that he presented the rangers with a better package for him than muckler, looking at clarke's track record with trades would lead me to think he was blowing smoke

Old
05-03-2005, 09:24 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
burke wouldn't be my first choice but i'd take him over sather...

Had I been online at 7:56 this evening, this is exactly what I would have posted.

Burke isn't who I want but he's better than what I have.

Closed Thread