HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: New Star Wars

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
OT: New Star Wars

What did you guys think? strength, weakness? I liked it, but I would have liked if they'd shown Anakins true power - tha's my only complaint... don't give up too much for those who haven't seen it yet!

Old
05-20-2005, 12:59 AM
NYR1724

I personally liked it. Much better then Episode 1 and 2. Great action scenes, the acting was not very good but everything else was pretty darn good. It connected the two trilogies and did not leave anything unanswered in my mind.

Old
05-20-2005, 03:13 AM
xander

It was much better than the first two, but that's not exactly saying much. It was enjoyable, but I"m not sure I'll see it again.

What I liked:
CGI was increadible, the opening sequence is just awe inspiring.

The LightSabre battles where also pretty impressive.

Every scene with palpetine was very well done, Ian McDiarmid did a very good job with him.

They reworked yoda and made his lightSabre scenes less goofy. While the Yoda/Dooku lightSabre duel in the second film was laughable, I think it's safe to say that yoda is now a bad-ass.

What I disliked:
The love scenes are still unbearable. The dialouge is sappy and it's only made worse by wooden acting.

I know I just mentioned it, but the acting by portman and christianson is just horrible. It's expected from hayden christianson, but I've seen natalie portman do good work, what happenend?

While the CGI was unabelivable, Lucas has no idea how to use it. There's no need to have whole charecters (such as C-3P0 and the wookies) done in CGI when they could be played by actors. While the CGI charecters look good, they still don't look entirly real. You can get away with having one or two charecters like that, but when you constantly use them the audiance (or atleast myself) notices and the entire film starts to feal less authentic. The genius of a Peter Jackson is that he doesn't always use CG if there is an alternative. If you can do it without CG then you should because it makes the entire film feal more real. Lucas on the other hand will use CG charecters and effects just for the hell of it.

Some of the story telling is just too cute. One of the wookies just happens to be chewbacca? there was no need to do that (or, for that matter, to include C-3P0 and RD-D2 in major roles.) Everything doesn't need to fit so nicely, it's just too convienant.

Thats everything I can remeber right now, though I know I'm missing a few things. My major gripe is with lucas, he's just not a very good director. It's no coincidence that the best two films in the cycle (in my opinion V and VI) whern't directed by him. The man's talents are in production, not directing or writing. You can even see it when you watch the origional, a movie that I love by the way. If you ever get a chance to watch the origional in widescreen you'll be able to see how poor the shot compisition is.

Anyway, I know this review seems pretty negative, it's definatly worth seeing. It's still a very enjoyable watch and much, much better than the preceding two films. It's a good film inspite of it's many flaws.

Old
05-20-2005, 03:22 AM
Zoo

Just watched it tonight, I also agree that it was better than the last too and yes I would have liked to see Anakins use his true power .

One thing got me, what did yoda tell Obi - something towards the end of the film abou Gu gon gin.....

Old
05-20-2005, 03:38 AM
xander

I think he was reffering to Obi-wan's trick of coming back from the dead that he pulls in V and VI. You;ll notice that Obi-Wan and Yoda both disapeer when they die, but that none of the jedi from the prequels do, i think that also has somthing to do with it. and man do I feel geeky right now.

Old
05-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Zoo

Thanks.... someones bloody kid started crying and me and my boy couldn't here a thing.

Old
05-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
or, for that matter, to include C-3P0 and RD-D2 in major roles.)
i've heard that the whole stars wars story with the first three movies was kind of built around the two droids and their journeys. they obviously figure prominantly in all of the original 3, i think lucas just intended to continue that already established idea

Quote:
What I disliked:
The love scenes are still unbearable. The dialouge is sappy and it's only made worse by wooden acting.

I know I just mentioned it, but the acting by portman and christianson is just horrible. It's expected from hayden christianson, but I've seen natalie portman do good work, what happenend?
honestly the acting in the original 3 was really crappy too...really the only one who could act worth a damn was harrison ford. i haven't seen the third one but i can't really say that the acting in the original 3 was any better than the prequels for the most part. I still think you had that one guy, han solo, who made those original movies. he provided the human side, the grit and reality...and the new ones suffer from not having a character like that. the jedi are all prim and proper and so is portman for the most part...everyone is so "upright" that you don't feel a lot from them...it's rather emotionless

take han out of the originals and you're not left with much

Old
05-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Shadowtron

I disagree. Don't get me wrong, Mark Hamill is no Lawrence Olivier, but comparatively speaking, the acting in the OT was leagues beyond what Lucas did in his prequel trilogy. I think they all provided the grit and reality that made Star Wars what it was.
I think the reason why this new trilogy lacks emotion is that it's more of a political drama, more about maintaining order and establishing peace. Also, it doesn't help that we get such an intimate look into the Jedi Order because the Jedi are essentially emotionless priests. The last three throw us into the middle of a civil war as we follow a band of terrorists who are trying to overthrow the government. That's exciting! Couple that with a character who possess unusual powers inherited from his father and you have a terrific fable.

Old
05-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Levitate

true about the storylines being better...but i still don't see hammil as acting all that great in the originals. in ANH he was just terrible, carrie fisher wasn't all that great..i think they all did better in ROTJ but everyone dislikes that movie now because of the ewoks at least in part (so what if there were ewoks in it? i fail to understand why that makes it bad, not to mention you did get to see ewoks blown up)

but the kid in PM was terrible...i don't know if it was his acting in general or just the lines he was given, but yikes...

Old
05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Shadowtron

No, Hamill wasn't great at all. But in the context of THOSE films, he and Fisher were much more suited to play their roles than the actors chosen for the New Trilogy. Hamill and Fisher fit! Lucas was extremely lucky in finding actors who had on-screen chemistry and whose talents were perfectly matched to the characters they were trying to play. I don't think he found that in Eps 1-3.

Old
05-20-2005, 12:43 PM
BigE

I must see this movie. Hopefully Sunday!

A friend went and said people were dressed up...

Any news on the TV Series they plan to do; I hear it takes place between Ep 3 and Ep 4.

Old
05-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Cherepanov 71

Obi wan and yoda dissapear when they die, and ull notice obi wan can talk to Luke. At the end of episode 3 yoda tells obi wan that qugan(however spelt) is able to comminicate, and he is going to teach obi wan it. In episode 4 Obi wan tells Darth V not to kill him because he will come more powerful, via the ability to still communicate.

Old
05-21-2005, 06:50 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

I will watch it when its on cable for tyhe fact part 1 and 2 sucked.

the originals were the best, though i liked all three of them and had there toys to play with when they came out in 78 I never became a star wars nerd or junkie. Its cool but nothing I loose my mind over.

Old
05-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Onion Boy

Saw Episode III today. Loved it and had absolutely no complaints. The critique of the acting I think is exaggerated. The acting was much better this time around than in the previous two episodes. Even so, the entire saga never really emphasized acting ability and Lucas simply lucked out with Harrison Ford and fine actors like Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing.

Thought Revenge of the Sith more or less tied up all the loose ends.

Old
05-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Saw it thursday night, loved it just like the other 5 (yes, I love them all).

Old
05-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Hockey-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Saw Episode III today. Loved it and had absolutely no complaints. The critique of the acting I think is exaggerated. The acting was much better this time around than in the previous two episodes. Even so, the entire saga never really emphasized acting ability and Lucas simply lucked out with Harrison Ford and fine actors like Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing.

Thought Revenge of the Sith more or less tied up all the loose ends.

LoL...you realy want to compare actors like Harrison Ford (Han Solo) and Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan) to Peter Cushing (CHEWIE)?????????????? yes, he´s huge, but that´s all.
But I have to agree that Harrison Ford was the only actor (except Guinness) in all 6 episodes who was really good!
I think Episode III is the best of the new episodes, though I hate the scene where you saw the "death star" but Luke and Leia where still babys. Would mean that the empire needed about 20 years to finish the construction of that death star although it seems to be nearly complete.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Charge_Seven

Great movie, and it deserves the Star Wars name, unlike Episode One.

Who would have thought that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalkers father?

Old
05-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-Freak
LoL...you realy want to compare actors like Harrison Ford (Han Solo) and Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan) to Peter Cushing (CHEWIE)?????????????? yes, he´s huge, but that´s all.
But I have to agree that Harrison Ford was the only actor (except Guinness) in all 6 episodes who was really good!
I think Episode III is the best of the new episodes, though I hate the scene where you saw the "death star" but Luke and Leia where still babys. Would mean that the empire needed about 20 years to finish the construction of that death star although it seems to be nearly complete.
I've got to say the Death Star we saw in EP 3 was just the skeletal structure. I would say building a space station larger than a moon would take quite a few years to do...but hey, I'm not building one that big.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Peter Cushing = Grand Moff Tarkin

Peter Mayhew = Chewie

And yeah the Death Star in RotS looked like the basic skeletal structure. I would think building the Death Star while wrangling all of the galaxy into the newly formed Empire would take a while the first time around. I would also think the second Death Star was built quicker due to experience gained the first time around.

Old
05-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Peter Cushing played Grand Moff Tarkin.

Old
05-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Jysk

We saw episode 3 last night and i agree, it was clearely the best of the new ones

Great movie

Old
05-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Hockey-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Peter Cushing played Grand Moff Tarkin.

oh, okay - my fault
all these "Peters"...like Schmidt and Mueller in germany

I think Lucas found a good way to kill most of the jedi with this "code 66" for the clone army. It would not be very reliably if that would take more time (a few month or so) because "no one can kill a jedi (so easy)"[young Anakin] without such a large ambush.

Old
05-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
I saw it Sunday and I really enjoyed it. They left out the stupid jokes that were in the other prequels, the original triliogy had its humor but it was mostly snappy one liners not silly puns. There were a couple small things i would of liked to have seen done differently, but i'de rank it as the best in the series since The Empire Strikes Back. Hopefully good word of mouth helps to keep selling tickets, i find it disturbing that Titanic is the highest grossing movie of all time, hopefully something beats it because that really reflects poorly on as people.

Old
05-25-2005, 06:36 AM
icthelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena
I saw it Sunday and I really enjoyed it. They left out the stupid jokes that were in the other prequels, the original triliogy had its humor but it was mostly snappy one liners not silly puns. There were a couple small things i would of liked to have seen done differently, but i'de rank it as the best in the series since The Empire Strikes Back. Hopefully good word of mouth helps to keep selling tickets, i find it disturbing that Titanic is the highest grossing movie of all time, hopefully something beats it because that really reflects poorly on as people.

hmm.....if you liked the movie Titanic I swear i won't call you gay(not that there's anything wrong with that)

Old
05-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight
hmm.....if you liked the movie Titanic I swear i won't call you gay(not that there's anything wrong with that)
I'm actually lucky enough to say that I never saw that movie in the theater, ever. The only time I ever saw it was on a ten-hour flight as an in-flight movie and even then I would've preferred sleeping if it wasn't for the jetlag.

Closed Thread