Notices

dion phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2005, 06:14 PM
shay255

vCash: 500
dion phaneuf

undefined dion phaneuf is good defense hockey player.

Old
05-21-2005, 06:21 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
i'll say

Old
05-22-2005, 02:16 AM
shay255

red deer

i will miss dion phaneuf

Old
05-22-2005, 09:43 AM
abracanada

In the Hockey Prospects magazine, it rated Phaneuf as the #1 guy, and spoke about him as being probably as valuable as Ovechkin, and a bit more valuable than Crosby. What a find for the Flames. Sutter has a great eye for talent. I remember when he picked Jackman for the rookie of the year when everyone else was going with offensive guys.

Old
05-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
In the Hockey Prospects magazine, it rated Phaneuf as the #1 guy, and spoke about him as being probably as valuable as Ovechkin, and a bit more valuable than Crosby. What a find for the Flames. Sutter has a great eye for talent. I remember when he picked Jackman for the rookie of the year when everyone else was going with offensive guys.
A bit more valuable than Crosby?!?!?! Yeah right . I'm also wondering who Sutter would have taken if he had the 7th or the 8th pick overall back in 2003...

Old
05-22-2005, 04:08 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
A bit more valuable than Crosby?!?!?! Yeah right . I'm also wondering who Sutter would have taken if he had the 7th or the 8th pick overall back in 2003...
Are you trying to insinuate that we would've had Coburn or Suter? Because you're wrong if you are. Sutter said he would've taken Phaneuf no matter where he drafted.

Old
05-22-2005, 04:09 PM
looooob

Quote:
I'm not going to touch the Crosby stuff

I will say I am pretty sure Sutter would have taken Phaneuf even if he had the 7th or 8th pick. pretty comfortable with that take

Old
05-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias
Are you trying to insinuate that we would've had Coburn or Suter? Because you're wrong if you are. Sutter said he would've taken Phaneuf no matter where he drafted.
Yeah but sometimes, GM's lies...Phaneuf can really become the best D of the 2003 draft but in that year, Ryan Suter was ahead of him so there's some chance that Sutter would have draft Ryan Suter if he had had the 7th overall pick.

And there's a situation:

After the 2003 draft, Sutter is talking about the selection of Phaneuf. Will he say:

1-We are happy with our selection but Ryan Suter was the player we would had liked. Unfortunetly, Nashville took him 2 spot ahead of us.

2-We are really happy with our selection. Phaneuf is the real package: he can hit, he skate well and he can become our PP quarterback.

The fact that Sutter said he would have took Phaneuf with any pick don't mean anything to me. A GM will always say that the players of his team are better than the players of the other teams...That's why any GM, even if they don't have the player that they wanted, would choose the second answer...

Old
05-22-2005, 06:30 PM
johnny cool

Did you see the way Sutter practically mauled Phaneuf when he got called? Sutter couldn't BELIEVE Phaneuf fell to 9, and was thrilled.

That, by the way, is still one of my favorite draft moments ever.

Old
05-22-2005, 08:12 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada

Once you read the magazine saying more valuable then Crosby you should have threw it away.

Old
05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Yeah but sometimes, GM's lies...Phaneuf can really become the best D of the 2003 draft but in that year, Ryan Suter was ahead of him so there's some chance that Sutter would have draft Ryan Suter if he had had the 7th overall pick.
Ryan Suter was never, ever ahead of Phaneuf, despite it being a popular opinion.

Some GMs and scouts may have thought so, but they were wrong.

Old
05-22-2005, 09:16 PM
King_Brown

If Sutter picked 1st he would taken Big Dion, if he had picked 3rd he would of taken Dion. Dion was #1 on our draft boards, and #2 was Mike Richards. If Sutter hugs a man, you know that man has to be something special.

Old
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
saillias

vCash: 50
Quote:

And there's a situation:

After the 2003 draft, Sutter is talking about the selection of Phaneuf. Will he say:

1-We are happy with our selection but Ryan Suter was the player we would had liked. Unfortunetly, Nashville took him 2 spot ahead of us.

2-We are really happy with our selection. Phaneuf is the real package: he can hit, he skate well and he can become our PP quarterback.

The fact that Sutter said he would have took Phaneuf with any pick don't mean anything to me. A GM will always say that the players of his team are better than the players of the other teams...That's why any GM, even if they don't have the player that they wanted, would choose the second answer...
2004 draft. Your own team drafts Chipchura one spot ahead of Calgary. Sutter trades down to 24, and later on he says how Chipchura was the guy he wanted, but since he wasn't available he traded down and got his 2nd choice, Kris Chucko.

Old
05-23-2005, 08:21 AM
kolanos

Quote:

And there's a situation:

Sutter was talking about Phaneuf from day one. This kind of speculation flies in the face of reality -- as anyone who pays even the slightest bit of attention to Sutter knew Phaneuf was going to be the Flames pick if available, and if not him, then Mike Richards. You can call it retrospective posturing, but that would be a blatant lie. Sutter had his sights set on Phaneuf early, which is why he was so happy that Phaneuf did fall to #9.

Old
05-23-2005, 08:56 AM
ukstipe

Quote:
2004 draft. Your own team drafts Chipchura one spot ahead of Calgary. Sutter trades down to 24, and later on he says how Chipchura was the guy he wanted, but since he wasn't available he traded down and got his 2nd choice, Kris Chucko.
I don't think that is correct. Sutter wanted Chucko and a 2nd round pick more than he wanted Chipchura right from the start. He knew he could get Chucko later in the round and aranged the Rangers trade before Chipchura was taken. The Rangers wanted Korpikoski but held off trading for Calgary's pick until they were sure Calgary's pick would land him. The timing of the trade made it look like Calgary wanted Chipchura but it was the Rangers who decided the timing.

Old
05-23-2005, 01:44 PM
RecklessCaution

Quote:
Actually:

"Button: I can tell you how the 2004 Draft played out for us the 1st day but have to be careful, again when talking about other teams players.

We held the 19th pick then no other picks until the 118th and 121st picks, both in the 4th round.

There were 8 players that we liked at that point. Of that 8 there was one we wanted above the rest and the guy we had targeted at the end of our meetings that week in Raleigh.

But we also thought we could get him a bit later than 19 in the Draft as well.

Since we had no 2nd nor 3rd round picks we asked Darryl to ask around to see if there were any teams interested in 19.

Specifically we talked about the Rangers, they had the 24th pick in the 1st round and five 2nd round picks. They told us that depending on who was left they would be interested in giving us 24 and a 2nd (46).

After the 17th pick we called NY to see if they were still interested. We were confident we could get the player we wanted at 24. NY wanted to wait until Montreal picked and then we made the trade. Obviously the Rangers wanted Laurie Korpikoski and since he was still there we made the deal.

Our thinking was we were still going to get the guy we wanted at 24 and pick up a 2nd round pick as well which we had targeted for a defenseman we liked. At 24 we picked the player we had targeted all along, Kris Chucko."

This from an interview with Tod Button at CP. Good work Peddle.

Old
05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessCaution
This from an interview with Tod Button at CP. Good work Peddle.
Thanks Anthony, and a link for those that haven't read it.
http://calgarypuck.com/Peddle_050105.htm

Old
05-24-2005, 11:46 AM
johnny cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Thanks Anthony, and a link for those that haven't read it.
http://calgarypuck.com/Peddle_050105.htm
that was a great interview

Old
05-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Eb0la11

When is the 2nd half of this interview going to be published?

Old
05-24-2005, 11:55 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
When is the 2nd half of this interview going to be published?
http://calgarypuck.com/Peddle_050905.htm Right here.

Old
05-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Great work, Peddle. One of the things I am most looking forwards to this fall is seeing what the lineup in Omaha is going to look like come September.

Old
05-24-2005, 05:12 PM
kruezer

I wonder which defenseman the Flames were tagerting when they still had the 46 pick?

These 10 went between 24 and 46.

Schultz
Fistric
Green
Rogers
Fransson
Stephenson
Smith
Lewis
Funk
Tesliuk

I wonder if they pegged Fistric to fall, he would have looked brilliant at 46.

Old
05-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Blarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I wonder which defenseman the Flames were tagerting when they still had the 46 pick?
I would probably say Mike Green. WHL, Calgary-born, and was on a bad Saskatoon Blade team, although he put up a few points that year. I could see that they would think he'd have fallen to 46th, or at least hope to. He is the most offensively minded out of all the ones you have listed, which, conversely, makes me think it might not have been him...

Old
05-24-2005, 11:18 PM
King_Brown

I think it was Rogers actually, Sutter mentioned him quite a few times that I heard him.

I can't wait until the beast is ready to finally put on #3 and starting popping *censored* around, and blasting pucks past Tim Cocklin.

Old
05-25-2005, 08:16 AM
abracanada

Syvret named as top defender in Junior hockey. Gotta be the team and his +/-. Still think Phaneuf is head and shoulders above him.

Closed Thread