HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Head Coach Vacancy Pt III: How's your spelling? (Eakins/Vigneault/Messier/Gretzky)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2013, 12:38 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Burke and Sather are close. Eakins' chances to get the job are likely based on Burkie's recommendation or lack therof to Slats.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:41 AM
MTrangers

What shocks me is that all these Messier lovers are arguing for him to get the job. It's like no one looks a year ahead or a few years ahead at how much more there is to lose hiring him. I'd make fun of us too if I wasn't a Rangers fan and our teams fails with Mess at the helm and his mystique is slightly bruised. I just don't get why. So much more to lose. Just hire the right ******* guy for the job and do work. I'm sick of people wanting the HOF behind the bench or wanting the most personable guy with the media so they give the best pressers. Just be smart, hire a hockey COACH and keep Mess where he is. After all, he is still part or this.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:44 AM
SA16
Sixstring

Basically I am fine with whoever they hire. I am not going to pretend like I know more about the candidates than the organization so I will support that they are making the best decision regardless. As for what I'd want in a coach I'd prefer someone younger, rather than a retread, who will show the willingness to adjust and adapt whereas a guy who has coached before and had success would be more likely to be like "I've always done it this way and it's always worked for me" even if it's not working now.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:48 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Burke and Sather are close. Eakins' chances to get the job are likely based on Burkie's recommendation or lack therof to Slats.
I've been thinking along those lines today.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:59 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I was thinking how interesting it would be if both Gretzky and Messier coached together. It's a classic good cop bad cop pairing. In reality, Gretzky has a .473 coaching record and Messier has none so not the best pair to bank it all on. I'm actually a bit pissed at Messier for not grooming himself for the role coaching minors or even juniors and getting some of the training wheels off in the process. Even if he's great, the first 15 games of him finding his groove could really hurt us. High gamble hire(s)

Old
06-02-2013, 01:18 AM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

vCash: 919
Too much to lose IMO. If he is an assistant I won't have many problems. But we need an Hc who understands the coaching aspect to get these guys going on a balanced successful system.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:19 AM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening

vCash: 69
I can't even imagine what Messier would be to New Yorkers if he coached a team to a Stanley Cup.

He'd probably run for Mayor next, and win. Realistically though, that would be a gargantuan step backwards in all likelihood.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:35 AM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

vCash: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
I can't even imagine what Messier would be to New Yorkers if he coached a team to a Stanley Cup.

He'd probably run for Mayor next, and win. Realistically though, that would be a gargantuan step backwards in all likelihood.
If he did that, I have no words. I don't even.

The smart move is to not give him the HC.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Kokoschka

Messier is too close with Sather for my likings. I'd like our coach to step up to our GM. Probably make Dolan realize there's something wrong at that position. I know, pipe dream.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:23 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
On CBC, Elliotte Friedmann reported that Mark Messier turned the Oilers head coaching job last season.
Don't know if this is true. But if it is... Thank god!!! The fossils from the eighties Oilers have been haunting this franchise (speaking as an Oilers fan) ever since they stopped winning in the eighties. We get one oold clown or hanger on after another and honestly we are sick of I here in Edmonton. Good luck with gretz or mess or whoever as coach cause Kevin Lowe and the boys have kept the Oilers clinically in the toilet for longer than most current Oiler fans have been watching hockey....

Old
06-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Don't know if this is true. But if it is... Thank god!!! The fossils from the eighties Oilers have been haunting this franchise (speaking as an Oilers fan) ever since they stopped winning in the eighties. We get one oold clown or hanger on after another and honestly we are sick of I here in Edmonton. Good luck with gretz or mess or whoever as coach cause Kevin Lowe and the boys have kept the Oilers clinically in the toilet for longer than most current Oiler fans have been watching hockey....
At least the 80's Oilers were a dynasty.

Rangers fans are suffering through a very similar situation to you guys. 1994 is still being squeezed still every single drop of it is let out.

I'm not sure if most Rangers fans are sick of 1994 and the good ol' days of 1994, but I get irritated every time it's mentioned. It's to the point of where whenever I see the Messier Guarantee on TV, I feel somewhat embarrassed that it's still being milked out by the media. Last year in the ECF during the Devils, game 6 in the 3rd period especially. I can't count how many times on my fingers and toes I heard of that guarantee on HNIC.

It's time for change.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:53 AM
shinchanyo

If we are so aware of all of the issues facing this team and how awful Sather is then these coaches are going to do their research they might turn down NY in favor of other places. You know who won't run? Messier. Which makes this very scary. neither will gretzky. i'd be ok with gretzky I was always curious if the ownership/management situation there was just too toxic.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:34 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
The idea of Messier a coach honestly doesn't seem that bad.

The reality of what could happen, though, does.

Has there ever been a successful coach that has come into the NHL with, quite literally, no prior coaching experience? Serious question, not rhetorical.
Phil Esposito meets half your requirements.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:42 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Too much to lose IMO. If he is an assistant I won't have many problems. But we need an Hc who understands the coaching aspect to get these guys going on a balanced successful system.
Messier cannot be an assistant coach in NY.

If that happens, in the first home game, if the Rangers fall behind, some idiots in the crowd will start calling for Messier to replace the head coach. Any head coach that hired Messier in NY would be a moron.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:42 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post

It would honestly be beyond epic if he coached the Rangers to a Cup.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Somehow I don't think we'll be able to get Babcock

Paul Maurice did a pretty damn good job with Zuccarello. I don't profess to be an expert at any of this, and it seems like there are better choices, but there are also worse ones too.
Magnitorsk had an awfull 2 half of the season and postseason. Everything before that went by itself with Malkin. Really don't want to see him coach Rangers.

Old
06-02-2013, 05:47 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I was thinking how interesting it would be if both Gretzky and Messier coached together. It's a classic good cop bad cop pairing. In reality, Gretzky has a .473 coaching record and Messier has none so not the best pair to bank it all on. I'm actually a bit pissed at Messier for not grooming himself for the role coaching minors or even juniors and getting some of the training wheels off in the process. Even if he's great, the first 15 games of him finding his groove could really hurt us. High gamble hire(s)
my thoughts as well. The reason I think Messier wouldn't be the worst choice is that he has been in the Rangers organization, he knows the ideas that the organization has built. He knows what he has to work with, what is available to him and he probably made some of the calls on getting these players.

Personally, i'd like to see what a coaching group of Messier, Gretzky, and Leetch could do together. Yes it is a huge gamble, but it could be amazing. Those are some brilliant minds that may be able to coach in superb fashion together.

I am afraid to AV, just not good feeling about him being behind the bench for New York. I also don't like the Ruff idea (which i'm so far breathing a sigh of relief that nothing is out there that he's been talked to). Eakins is intriguing and Tippett, but with an article like this http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...her_teams.html
I don't know if getting Tippett is possible. Whomever is the next head coach I would love to see Leetch be an assistant coach with him, Leetch I think can offer a lot not just on the powerplay but also to the young defensemen maybe even help mdz calm down with the puck and make smarter decisions and make him a more consistent player.

Old
06-02-2013, 07:35 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Messier cannot be an assistant coach in NY.

If that happens, in the first home game, if the Rangers fall behind, some idiots in the crowd will start calling for Messier to replace the head coach. Any head coach that hired Messier in NY would be a moron.
Just don't see the Rangers hiring Messier in a coaching capacity. It's a future public relations disaster waiting to happen--if only because as Sather said about Tortorella--'every coach has his shelf life' and there will come a day of reckoning for Messier as well.

The funny thing is if--when he starts to fail some of the good people wanting him now will be calling for his head too.

Old
06-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

The idea of Slats and Messier kicking around the idea of Mess coaching this team reminds me of all those "great ideas" that stoners come up with sitting around a bong and an empty pizza box:

"Dude... Could you imagine winning a Cup again here in NY, but this time as coach?!"

"Omg that would be insane! It would be, wait for it... LEGEND... ARY! Lol"

"I mean the team couldn't tune YOU out! The media & fans would HAVE to respect you! How could the greatest on-ice leader the game has ever seen, fail at leading from behind the bench?! Impossible. You'll be great at it! Speaking of GREAT! How about 99 as your assistant and maybe someone inside the org that I still owe a favor to as your D/special teams coach?!!"

"Mind Ofiically Blown!"

"It's the stuff dreams and Hollywood are made of!"

*Both exhale cigar smoke and swig 100 yr old scotch*

Old
06-02-2013, 08:02 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
Personally, i'd like to see what a coaching group of Messier, Gretzky, and Leetch could do together. Yes it is a huge gamble, but it could be amazing. Those are some brilliant minds that may be able to coach in superb fashion together.
i know leetch would be happy to be an assistant coach, were he interested in coaching at all. but messier and gretzky? who's the head coach? they both have egos, for sure.
i also question whether those guys really would want to put in the work to be great coaches. though, who knows, maybe coaching is more talent than effort. i can't say. but they don't seem to be seeking coaching work actively.
would be intriguing and a huge gamble. it's a swing for the fences. but probably too difficult to orchestrate and too risky to try.

Old
06-02-2013, 08:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The obvious answer is Messier as C, Leetch & Graves with the As.

Old
06-02-2013, 08:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I don't know nearly enough about Eakins to say anything one way or the other. I've read some nice things, but it's hard to know what's just a fluff piece and what's legitimate.

Gretzky, eh. He never seemed like a particularly effective coach in Phoenix. Granted, the teams he had were usually a mess, but I can't recall ever looking at that team under Gretzky and thinking anything other than, "Yeah, that's the epitome of a mediocre team." The other thing with him, he has such an innate understanding of the game, can he work with guys that don't "get it" like he does? It's like a chess grandmaster trying to teach the game to me--he can probably do it okay, but it would probably be better for me if I have someone more accustomed to dealing with idiots.

Vigneault, I like. He wouldn't be the first very good coach without a Cup to his credit. I like his track record, and it would be interesting to see how he'd utilize our talent. He seems like a pretty good fit to me.

Mess...eh. I just don't know. He seems like he'd be great at holding players accountable and instilling discipline, but like Gretzky, can he relate to Joe Thirdliner? If we had a roster like he had during his Edmonton days, rife with talent and future HOF'ers, I might feel more confident. We don't have that though (no one does), and without a past coaching tenure to examine, how can we say for sure?

I guess at this point I'm hoping mainly for Vigneault, though it may be more appropriate to say, "I'm hoping it's not Mess or Gretz."

It's just pain.
Old
06-02-2013, 08:49 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I read Burke would have hired Eakins to coach the Stars if Burke got become the Stars GM instead of Jim Nill.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Last season at some point, I said that it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Mess takes over for Sather when Glen hangs em up.

There's no doubt in my mind that Messier will be involved with this team is some type of managerial capacity for as long as he likes.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:22 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Last season at some point, I said that it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Mess takes over for Sather when Glen hangs em up.

There's no doubt in my mind that Messier will be involved with this team is some type of managerial capacity for as long as he likes.
Why isn't more involved now? Instead of having some obscure role as special assistant,Messier should be more involved. Messier doesn't want to put the work in. He wants to walk in whenever he wants to and take over without paying his dues because he's Mark Messier. He wants to be involved with his business projects. His award. His helmets. Stuff like that. He wants to live in Greenwich,CT and attend Rangers home games.

This organization is doomed.

Closed Thread